PDA

View Full Version : Wii U Tokyo Street (Panorama View) Demo

garyopa
01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
360 degree views with Wii U panorama view demostration

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS000000705/icon_xl.jpg

First shown at past E3 (behind closed doors) now we can see a nice glimpse of this Demo, showcasing 360 degrees panorama views!

At past E3 we saw a few tech Demos showing Wii U and its tablet controller capabilities, like the Zelda and Japanese Garden ones.

However, there was another one that was demostrated behind closed doors, called Tokyo Street, but not a lot details were given.

Now, at this year CES we can see a glimpse on how that Demo works, now called Panorama View and it looks pretty impressive:

One Wii U tech demo that Nintendo called Panorama View played with the idea that the Wii U's screen could serve as a new window into the game's world. The second screen and motion sensors would work together to place a game's world all around you, and not just on a flat screen in front of you.

360 degree views on the Wii U controller? That could work pretty well for a few genres, including racing games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S05fWaaATU8

NEWS SOURCE: 360 degree views with Wii U (via) Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/ces-360-degree-views-with-wii-u-panorama-view-demo-219536.phtml)

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for another great news story!

Squirrel61
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
It looks like graphically, the Wii-U finally is on par again. Just sad that it just catches up with two consoles that are close to the end of their life cycles. Which means that in a year's time, the Wii-U might be graphically outdated again.

Xenogears V
01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
the Wii-U might be graphically outdated again.

For sure it is. Another time Nintendo is focus on entertaiment and enjoy. Ps Vita is very powerfull respect to 3ds, but is repeating same story, as Ds and psp.

JonathanD
01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
It looks like graphically, the Wii-U finally is on par again. Just sad that it just catches up with two consoles that are close to the end of their life cycles. Which means that in a year's time, the Wii-U might be graphically outdated again.

Since we don't know what hardware Sony or Microsoft is going to put in, I would have to hold off on saying they will out do what the Wii-U can do.

But I can say this, IF what the guy says is true about the game running in true 1080P its way more powerful then the PS3 or the 360. Dirty little secret of the PS3 and 360 is that most of the games are rendered internally at much much lower resolutions usually better then 480P but very few manage even true 720P and fewer still manage true 1080P. The number of true 1080P games on the PS3 and 360 could probably be counted on one hand.... The upscaling is nice and they do a great job of hiding it as best they can, but if you play a game that has great textures and on a machine that can do real 1080P (A good PC.) then look at the same game running on a current gen console, you can spot the difference with out trying too hard.

Please note I am no graphic whore and have just as much fun playing games on an old TV set as I do the latest HD craziness, I just like to point out that the current gen of consoles are not as "HD" as they claimed they would be.

Edit: As a side note don't blame Sony or Microsoft for the 360 or the PS3's lack of 1080P games, its a hardware limitation due to RAM and not putting in enough in at the time they launched. That stuff isn't cheap! or at least it wasn't when they launched lol

Secondary Edit: Besides if the Wii-U can do true 1080P graphics, how much better can the next systems from Sony and Microsoft be? Once you hit the max resolution your display can handle your pretty much maxed out, with almost no room for improvement. At least at any reasonable price range.

Maybe Sony and Microsoft will try to push 2160P... but holy hell they would need like 16GB's of RAM multiple GPU's and 8 cores...

Retroboy
01-13-2012, 06:14 AM
whats great about this, the wii displays a normal view on your screen but the tablet is playing a video that has a 360 full view video and coded so when you move the camera moves it.

id hate to see yet again the dumb asses who try using this in game play bumping into each other, lets hope nintendo arent soley focusing on fad controllers that much like they did the wii and forgot health and safety hence the warnings later getting added in games plus the strap added to the wiimote... i would have figured that should have been common sence lol

billysastard
01-13-2012, 06:24 AM
whats great about this, the wii displays a normal view on your screen but the tablet is playing a video that has a 360 full view video and coded so when you move the camera moves it.

id hate to see yet again the dumb asses who try using this in game play bumping into each other, lets hope nintendo arent soley focusing on fad controllers that much like they did the wii and forgot health and safety hence the warnings later getting added in games plus the strap added to the wiimote... i would have figured that should have been common sence lol

i do agree i really cant see much point in the driving demo, but full hd is an improvement over the current gen and will equal the next gen xbox and playstation.

the wii u pad has TWO wrist strap connectors for those who are to stupid to hold on to their controls.

Retroboy
01-13-2012, 07:31 AM
i do agree i really cant see much point in the driving demo, but full hd is an improvement over the current gen and will equal the next gen xbox and playstation.

the wii u pad has TWO wrist strap connectors for those who are to stupid to hold on to their controls.

yea but what good is full hd when nintendo have chosen not to let it play full hd movies, as for gaming the wii u is based on this gens power so not really going to look that much better itll be like playing a n64 rom on a pc an compare to the n64 console.

Full HD + Next Gen power (which will allow in years to come new engines ect that make gaming environments more realistic) + Multimedia Support + the option to play all games with a normal pad and not forced every game to use the iFAD, then id defo buy the wii-u (if it "this" time offered more adult games insted of kids games and party shovel ware cr@p)

N64 was nintendo's best console, GC had more power but lacked the games, i still own my GC and only own 5 games, compared to my xbox and ps2 i have loads of great games i must keep.

billysastard
01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
yea but what good is full hd when nintendo have chosen not to let it play full hd movies, as for gaming the wii u is based on this gens power so not really going to look that much better itll be like playing a n64 rom on a pc an compare to the n64 console.

i believe thats what is called a games console, which oddly is exactly what i (and many others) buy games consoles for.

JonathanD
01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
i believe thats what is called a games console, which oddly is exactly what i (and many others) buy games consoles for.

I am also sure if some one was desperate enough they could get Netflix since I believe that they are now streaming HD movies.

If some one has the network to pull it off Netflix at 8$ a month is better than renting movies or possibly even buying them... 99% of the movies I watch I only want to watch one time so buying them is a waste of time.

I recently have had an opportunity to try out Netflix on the Wii in my home for a couple of weeks and I have to say how shocked I am. The quality is excellent and the only time it buffers if for like 2 seconds at the start of the movie.

The selection far exceeds what I thought they would, the catalog includes entire runs of TV shows (Been watching Lexx on it.) I think they removed some of the nudity but its been so long since I watched them on HBO or Cinamax that I can't remember how much there was... lol

I still think streaming video games like On-Live is a no go, but I am changing my mind slowly about streaming movies and by extension maybe one day physical media will be less common? (I still think my games should come on a disk... unlike movies those I like to dig out again in the future.)

Edit: I guess the whole point of this rambling post is that movies on a games machine are ok as long as I don't have to pay for an unneeded BD drive.
Cheaper then buying, cheaper then renting and no hardware required beyond what any machine already comes with.

I am sure Sony and Microsoft will offer Netflix too, so it must be legit... lol

billysastard
01-13-2012, 07:25 PM
I am also sure if some one was desperate enough they could get Netflix since I believe that they are now streaming HD movies.

If some one has the network to pull it off Netflix at 8$ a month is better than renting movies or possibly even buying them... 99% of the movies I watch I only want to watch one time so buying them is a waste of time.

I recently have had an opportunity to try out Netflix on the Wii in my home for a couple of weeks and I have to say how shocked I am. The quality is excellent and the only time it buffers if for like 2 seconds at the start of the movie.

The selection far exceeds what I thought they would, the catalog includes entire runs of TV shows (Been watching Lexx on it.) I think they removed some of the nudity but its been so long since I watched them on HBO or Cinamax that I can't remember how much there was... lol

I still think streaming video games like On-Live is a no go, but I am changing my mind slowly about streaming movies and by extension maybe one day physical media will be less common? (I still think my games should come on a disk... unlike movies those I like to dig out again in the future.)

Edit: I guess the whole point of this rambling post is that movies on a games machine are ok as long as I don't have to pay for an unneeded BD drive.
Cheaper then buying, cheaper then renting and no hardware required beyond what any machine already comes with.

I am sure Sony and Microsoft will offer Netflix too, so it must be legit... lol

yeah well over here netflix is a complete waste of time, unless you like straight to dvd movies from last century and even then i have a far wider choice (and newer) available on vod through my cable box and vod tv series are all free, included in my cable subscription or via lovefilm on my tv or blu-ray player.

billysastard
01-14-2012, 05:10 AM
i suppose that i should point out a few things here.

the video in the first post is cut down from the original video from the verge. (full video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YovXATRTA&list=UUddiUEpeqJcYeBxX1IVBKvQ&index=3&feature=plcp )

the demos shown are all the ones from last years e3 running on early prototype hardware shown in private at this years ces.

the wii u runs at native 1080p @60fps not upscaled like ps3 / 360

it does not upscale wii games (probably because it has no upscaler as it isnt needed when all its games are in 1080p)

the pad uses a resistive touch screen for increased accuracy over capacitive screens, the alternative was to use a capacitive screen with real time digitising which would be way too expensive.

an additional / replacement pad will cost you around $120

more info will be released in the run up to e3 with new demos / games and more concrete 3rd party details at e3 itself.

the wii u will launch in at least 2 regions this year (jap late summer, usa oct / nov are planned, no word on eu)

activision, ea and ubisoft have all stated that the wii u's online system is at least an equal to xbl / psn.

the wii side of things is run by a wii on a chip currently being used in the new wii family pack it does not use emulation.

nintendo have NOT stated whether currently owned digital content will be transferable from wii

i thought i'd put that here so people can discuss things with at least a basic knowledge of the system.

JonathanD
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
i suppose that i should point out a few things here.

the video in the first post is cut down from the original video from the verge. (full video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YovXATRTA&list=UUddiUEpeqJcYeBxX1IVBKvQ&index=3&feature=plcp )

the demos shown are all the ones from last years e3 running on early prototype hardware shown in private at this years ces.

the wii u runs at native 1080p @60fps not upscaled like ps3 / 360

it does not upscale wii games (probably because it has no upscaler as it isnt needed when all its games are in 1080p)

the pad uses a resistive touch screen for increased accuracy over capacitive screens, the alternative was to use a capacitive screen with real time digitising which would be way too expensive.

an additional / replacement pad will cost you around $120

more info will be released in the run up to e3 with new demos / games and more concrete 3rd party details at e3 itself.

the wii u will launch in at least 2 regions this year (jap late summer, usa oct / nov are planned, no word on eu)

activision, ea and ubisoft have all stated that the wii u's online system is at least an equal to xbl / psn.

the wii side of things is run by a wii on a chip currently being used in the new wii family pack it does not use emulation.

nintendo have NOT stated whether currently owned digital content will be transferable from wii

i thought i'd put that here so people can discuss things with at least a basic knowledge of the system.

The only spot I could see where Sony and Microsoft have any room for improvement via graphics is maybe doing 120FPS for some smooth 60FPS 3D effects?
Thats a hard sell though since 3D TV's are having trouble selling and there is a lot of speculation that most of the 3D TV's sold are not even being used in 3D (People just buying the best TV they can get and those tend to come with 3D if you want it or not.)

Either way it will be interesting to see what happens, I am getting all jazzed up for the next round of console wars!

HugeGorrila
01-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Very kool. Cant wait to see more.