PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW - Nano Assault (3DS)

garyopa
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
A review by 'Jeremy Hardin'

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS000000719/icon_xl.jpg

As you can probably glean from the box art above, Nano Assault is a shooter, plain and simple. Make no mistake, vanilla it is not.

Game - Nano Assault
Version - 3DS
Time Spent Playing - 5 hours
Obtained - Review Copy courtesy of Majesco Entertainment

As you can probably glean from the box art above, Nano Assault is a shooter, plain and simple. Make no mistake, vanilla it is not. Does anyone have any idea what I just said? It made sense in my head, but on paper not so much. Anyways, I digress. Nano Assault is shooter that takes you through some 30+ levels of chaotic, frenzied firefights as you race from one cellular structure to the next, collecting DNA sequences in order to rid the world of the Nanostray virus or something like that. The truth is, the story is quite brief and takes a distant back seat to the graphics and action that come at you from the very first level.Here is a quote from the official Nano Assault website.

"Stop the deadly Nanostray virus from spreading and contaminating civilization in Nano Assault, a fast-paced action shooter set within a visually stunning cellular system that leaps off the screen in full 3D. Control your microscopic Nanite ship inside the dangerous virus to fight off infections, navigate through alien cell clusters, battle bosses, and ultimately analyze and destroy the virus' core to save humanity."

See, I told you. The story isn't important.

http://scmods.com/pictures/nanoa1.jpg

Gameplay and Controls

Players control their ship using the circle pad and fire using the A,B,X,Y buttons each of which shoot in a specific direction. Throughout the game you will also unlock a total of 4 secondary weapons, which are used by pressing either the L or R buttons. The secondary weapons are limited of course, but along the way certain enemies may drop a capsule which refills your secondary weapon gauge by 25%. Enemies also drop blue crystals which when you collect 100 you receive an extra life, these are quite useful at times! The gameplay is fast, frenetic and fun! During a level, you can press up on the D pad to display a 3D map of the level, which pinpoints DNA the locations of enemies and DNA structures. The map can be rotated for easy viewing and comes in handy often. The main game takes about 5 hours to beat, but that's not the end. Once you beat the Story Mode, Boss Rush mode unlocks which is great for earning Nano Coins to use in the in game store. Arcade Mode is also available to extend your play time as you enter levels with specific challenges to beat. These challenges, once completed, also earn your Nano Coins. The Nano Coins can be used to purchase music tracks and to unlock Nanopedia information and while the information may be helpful, I found it more enjoyable just to look at the information itself. For example, you can unlock boss information and other enemies as well. What's great about this is that you can see an animated version of the enemy/boss, zoom in using L and R and also view the creature in full 3D by rotating your 3DS. I was just sitting here in my office chair spinning around and checking out one of the creatures in a full 360 3D sweep, it was great! Here is a bulleted list breakdown of the game features, I grabbed this straight from the

Nano Assault website.

Find, analyze, and destroy the Nanostray virus DNA with your Nanite vessel.
Harness the power of multiple weapons: Powerful Beams that lock onto enemies for instant impact; Energetic Bombs explode upon impact and launch devastating projectiles; Spins rotate around enemies in energy-draining orbs
Blast your way through 32 twisted cell stages and dark worlds with rugged landscapes that self-adjust in difficulty based on how you play.
Battle and defeat 10 extreme bosses including the Black Nucleus, Hyper Blobs, and Spore Plants to collect secondary weapons including lightning chains, electric flashes that destroy everything in close proximity, and the quick and powerful laser.
Test your skills in "Boss Rush" mode and battle bosses back-to-back!
Stunning gameplay aesthetic is set in a distinctive electron microscope inspired world.
Ignite purifying blasts to clear infections by collecting power-ups that defeated enemies leave behind.
Respawn and clone yourself along the journey to ensure successful missions. AutoSaving is available after each stage or section.
Extra features include Missions Mode, an unlockable arcade style cell stage where you must destroy enemies against a time counter trying to get the highest score, and Hall of Fame where you can publish your level scores and compare them with friends online.
Detailed enemy Nanopedia lets you unlock information containing strengths, weaknesses, and strategies to defeat them.

http://scmods.com/pictures/nanoa2.jpg

Visuals and Sound

I was and still am incredibly impressed by the visuals and the sounds. The 3D effect is so pronounced that most often times I had to adjust my slider down to halfway in order to fully enjoy the 3D. Not only that, but the graphics themselves are quite impressive. The water is absolutely stunning and the lighting itself is fantastic! The music is catchy, techno inspired and goes so well with this game. Plus, you get to listen to the music in the Jukebox on the main menu, if you purchase it of course. I am very happy that the developers went so far to include a Jukebox, plus the Nanopedia to enjoy the games assets even when not playing the main game. I wish that all developers would do this, it's a big plus when deciding to purchase a game!

http://scmods.com/pictures/nanoa3.jpg

Concluding Overall Impressions

Nano Assault offers a combination of goodies with its impressive graphics, pronounced 3D effects, addictive gameplay, pleasing tunes, online leaderboards, boss rush modes and more! I know that what I say isn't worth the words I'm typing because let's face it, I'm not a professional games reviewer. So, I'm not going to pretend that what I say matters regarding this game. However, if you just want one gamers opinion, it's this; buy Nano Assault on the 3DS, I really believe you'll enjoy it!

Final Score: 5 out of 5

You can check out the official website for Nano Assault HERE (http://www.nanoassaultgame.com/)!

P.S. - There are multiple save slots with this game. No multiplayer.

Our thanks to 'Jeremy Hardin' for another review!