PDA

View Full Version : HD Just Isnít Enough For Wii U

garyopa
01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Says Nintendo Of America President

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS000000736/icon_xl.jpg

NOA President has reiterated that gorgeous HD visuals arenít enough to entice todayís consumers and that the main selling point for Wii U will be the fact that youíll be using two screens for gaming.

Mr. Reggie Fils-Aime firmly believes that Nintendo's vision of having 'two screens' will forever change the 'gaming industry'!

ďThe big innovation with the Wii U is the controller and the ability to have an interactive experience that leverages all of your traditional input buttons as well as a screen built right into the controller. Yes, the system is HD capable; itíll generate the most gorgeous pictures. But for us thatís not enough.Ē

ďWe need to continue pushing the overall experience forward. We need to bring new types of entertainment. New types of gaming and the combination of a big first screen ó your home TV ó coupled with a second screen in your hands, in our view, is going to bring gaming to a whole new experience and to continue driving the industry.Ē

Is it going to work? -- Again, only time will tell. -- It all depends on the price, the game titles, and good old-fashion 'sales pitch'!

NEWS SOURCE: HD Just Isn't Enough Anymore (via) MyNintendoNews (http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/14/hd-just-isnt-enough-for-wii-u-says-nintendo-of-america-president/)

Our thanks to 'Stevetry' for another good news tip!

IJTF_Cinder
01-14-2012, 04:13 PM
If they can keep the touchscreen controller prices in-line with current controllers, I don't see why it would be a hinderance to sales at all.

People already pay a ridiculous amount($60) for 360/PS3 controllers...and even first party controllers for the Wii are grossly overpriced($45 for a remote...not including nunchuk).

max1421
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
No its needs more than HD, It needs a GPU and CPU that are not outdated, I really really dont want Nintendo to cheap out and give it last gen graphics, it has potential to be a phenomenal console, but giving it poor CPU/CPU mean Nintendo will just get beat by Sony/Microsoft in terms of 3rd party support and graphics

Anil8tr
01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
So, will the light bulb over the "gameplay is better than graphics" Nintendo fanboys suddenly turn on now since Nintendo is finally going HD. I can hear it now. "We've always loved graphics. We never said they weren't important". That thing is going to need third party games. It will be what gets me to purchase it. No games, no buy.

It's funny how people here are already writing off Sony and MS simply because Wii U is HD (not in this thread). I know my backlog on this gen is good enough to last me years so I can sit back and wait to see the direction all three take. With the amount of dust on my Wii, Wii U will have to really impress me with its games. Right now I'm just not feeling it.

DEDDOA
01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
HD in TV terms is a standard feature now anyway, so of course the Wii U needs more than that, what it needs is to be in a performace bracket that puts it ona par with it's rivals as as nice as the Wii U controller is (and lets be fair it's a cracker, especially being able to play home console level games on a large portable screen, how many marriages is that going to save :) ), the main flaw of the Wii was the lack of support for what would be considered standard multiplatform games on the PS3 and 360, or in previous gens, so meaning if you had a wii, you sort of need a PS3/360/PC. If the Wii U has the power to compete you wouldn't really need the other 2 for anything other than exclusives (which means you can pick them up ont he cheap much later on, thats what i did with the GC, got the cosnole and all the games I wanted for it for £100 when the wii came out).

All this talko fthe Wii U controller tho kind of makes me wonder what MS are going to do as they will be the only ones without such an option and if such things kick off, it can only be bad for MS not to be able to compete, I'm hoping for multi monitor suport ont he PS4 and next Xbox, the Wii U has it by default and throws in a second screen as well.

JonathanD
01-14-2012, 07:26 PM
So, will the light bulb over the "gameplay is better than graphics" Nintendo fanboys suddenly turn on now since Nintendo is finally going HD. I can hear it now. "We've always loved graphics. We never said they weren't important". That thing is going to need third party games. It will be what gets me to purchase it. No games, no buy.

It's funny how people here are already writing off Sony and MS simply because Wii U is HD (not in this thread). I know my backlog on this gen is good enough to last me years so I can sit back and wait to see the direction all three take. With the amount of dust on my Wii, Wii U will have to really impress me with its games. Right now I'm just not feeling it.

Not just Nintendo fanboys, PS1 and PS2 had the worst graphics of those generations but had the best games! Sure Nintendo managed a few classics at those times and so did Sega and Microsoft but if you owned a PS1 and PS2 you where fine and really didn't miss a whole ton. (I gave away my N64 when it was still being sold and I never bought a GameCube.)

ploggy
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Looking at the size of the Console I wouldn't think it would be much more powerful than what currently on offer from the 360/ps3.
Plus apparently the screen on the Wiiu controller is the same type as the DS, so the screen wont be multi touch like the Ipod.

I'll still buy it tho if the price is fair. :)

Anil8tr
01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Not just Nintendo fanboys, PS1 and PS2 had the worst graphics of those generations but had the best games! Sure Nintendo managed a few classics at those times and so did Sega and Microsoft but if you owned a PS1 and PS2 you where fine and really didn't miss a whole ton. (I gave away my N64 when it was still being sold and I never bought a GameCube.)

PS2 was definitely my console of choice last gen.

I still have both N64 and Gamecube. I sunk some hours into both of those consoles. I traded my SNES for the N64. I'll never get rid of my old consoles again.

Bongloads
01-15-2012, 01:14 AM
OMG two2TWO screens!?! Gee, how neat. Oh wait, I only have one set of eyes.

Been a Nintendo fan since 1985, but seriously they need to pull their heads out of their proverbial asses. I can't stand using motion controls on the Wii, and I avoid using the touchscreen on the DS - I want to PUSH BUTTONS! I want to sit my lazy ass on my couch like a good American vegetable and push friggin' BUTTONS! I don't want my video games to be jazzercise and I don't want to touch cutesy little iFag-like icons to make my characters do things onscreen. This whole stupid gimmick game they've been playing for years is really starting to wear on me - I value my PS3 more than my Wii (and remember, I'm a 25+ year fanboy). Wii U is looking like more of the same, with no new innovations, just combining the "experiences" of the Wii and DS into one - oh boy, how exciting :-p

billysastard
01-15-2012, 06:32 AM
If they can keep the touchscreen controller prices in-line with current controllers, I don't see why it would be a hinderance to sales at all.

People already pay a ridiculous amount($60) for 360/PS3 controllers...and even first party controllers for the Wii are grossly overpriced($45 for a remote...not including nunchuk).

expect around $120, similar to kinect or a full move setup rather than the cost of a standard joypad or wii remote but as you get one included and you can use your old wii remotes and accessories its not that bad.

billysastard
01-15-2012, 06:45 AM

i agree completely with what you say, gameplay is always more important than graphics, but there again i'm a gamer, so to me the platform isnt important as long as it plays the games i want to play but whilst last gen saw the wii get most exclusives and some of the best games of the generation the somewhat shallow graphics whores (aka "hardcore" gamers) took this generation to moan and ***** about anything that wasnt "hd" even though almost everything they were playing on their hd consoles was in fact running at below even 720p then being upscaled, so i'm sure you would understand the nintendo fanboys getting a little (even if short lived) enjoyment out of the fact that the wii u is the first real hd console.

the issue really is that until quad / ultrahd comes around there really isnt anywhere to go for non pc gaming beyond 1080p so its likely that other than a few tweaks here and there we arent going to see any vast differences between all 3 other than the physical hardware and the platform exclusives in this coming generation and if it goes like pretty much every previous generation then even if the wii u does end up being the least powerful it could still compete and win against prettier competition just like the playstation, playstation 2 and wii did.

mattias800
01-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Well, he is right. But that doesn't mean we don't want awesome graphics.

And I think the point of the Wii U is to satisfy the old school gamers (buttons only) too, so I don't think people should complain about it.
The new controller will only add new abilities, not take away the old ones (like the Wii did, for example, we didn't have dual analogue sticks on the Wii-mote).

So, we could see games that uses the screen for input. Like World of Warcraft. Starcraft. Diablo.
Not saying these would fit perfectly, but Wii U enables more types of input than ordinary controllers and I'm sure we will see games take advantage of this in clever ways.

And being a family centered company, I'm sure we'll see some really clever games that we can play together. Mario Party could be awesome.

Squirrel61
01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, the trick already worked one time for Nintendo (DS where all competitors still had a single screen), so they might be thinking "why not again?". The future will show us if they were right.

Ahmed_p800
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Mr. Reggie Fils-Aime firmly believes that Nintendo's vision of having 'two screens' will forever change the 'gaming industry'!

Why must he say that EVERY DAMN TIME!
He said the same about the 3DS...

Its getting repetitive :mad:

Anyway, I am excited about the Wii-U, hopefully it turns out to be good, I like the idea of the portable screen.

This ,in my opinion, gives MORE 3D effect than 3D screen...and more real.

billysastard
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Its getting repetitive :mad:

Anyway, I am excited about the Wii-U, hopefully it turns out to be good, I like the idea of the portable screen.

This ,in my opinion, gives MORE 3D effect than 3D screen...and more real.

thats what happens when you head the american division of the most (if not only) games company taking risks and being innovative.

lets face it, the joypad did (nes)
shoulder buttons did (snes)
analog stick did (n64)
rumble sort of did (n64)
mario 64 did (n64)
goldeneye 64 did (n64)
4 joystick ports as standard did (n64)
1st party wireless controls did (gamecube)
cart based handheld did (gameboy)
dual screens did (nds)
motion controls did (wii)
wii fit did (wii, although maybe not for the better)
3ds might do

and yes, the wii u will too, its already had sony pretending vita remote play is the same sort of thing and rumours abound over the xbox fusion having some kind of tablet controller now.

mattias800
01-15-2012, 03:23 PM

He did? I don't remember that. When did that happen?

MadonnaProject
01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking there wouldn't be enough hd for the wii u anyways.