PDA

View Full Version : House Kills SOPA

garyopa
01-17-2012, 08:59 AM
For those who don't know what SOPA and PIPA are, the United States has two bills that have the goal of putting a stop to online piracy.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS000000770/icon_xl.jpg

In a surprise move today, Representative Eric Cantor(R-VA) announced that he will stop all action on SOPA, effectively killing the bill. This move was most likely due to several things.

Some of the reasons were; It is "Election Year", and the amount of 'protests' and 'complaints' about it in the media and online, could cause the vote to swing the other way, and also tons of companies that originally were backing the bill, suddenly have recently dropped support after all the consumer 'backlash, and places like 'GoDaddy' have lost over 100,000 domains in the last 10 days alone as people started moving to their websites to another country that protects their right of freedom.

Whatever the real reason, it is not time to stop the protests or war against these bills, as the Senate still has their own version in the works called PIPA, and hopefully now all the media attention will be focused now on this bill, now that SOPA is finally out of the picture.

NEWS SOURCE: House Kills SOPA (via) SlashDot (http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/16/1457237/house-kills-sopa)

Our thanks to 'Stevetry' another news tip!

Nicotine
01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
put another feather in anonymous' cap!

billysastard
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
put another feather in anonymous' cap!

well half of one, there is still the equally evil pipa and its supporters to hack / destroy.

gDrive
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
well half of one, there is still the equally evil pipa and its supporters to hack / destroy.

SOPA more or less down, Protect IP (PIPA) to go!

Still though, for those who have done a good job fending off the SOPA - well done - now, let's do the same for PIPA so that the PIPA can go down the trashcan, just like the SOPA will (eventually).

billysastard
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
SOPA more or less down, Protect IP (PIPA) to go!

Still though, for those who have done a good job fending off the SOPA - well done - now, let's do the same for PIPA so that the PIPA can go down the trashcan, just like the SOPA will (eventually).

i wish i could agree but not only is pipa due for a vote on the 24th jan but sopa is BACK in feb so its not quite as dead as everyone hoped :( if pipa falls as it should (if the greedy politicians want those they hate to re elect them) then sopa will be back, sopa is only "dead" if pipa passes since they are both as bad as each other.

JonathanD
01-18-2012, 12:50 AM
So annoyed that Wikipedia went ahead with its black out even though SOPA is dead. I guess its worth it in the end? Just to make people more aware of the issues.

Edit: I just discovered a back way into Wikipedia! but not sure I should bother posting about it since it sort of defeats the whole protest thing.

billysastard
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM
So annoyed that Wikipedia went ahead with its black out even though SOPA is dead. I guess its worth it in the end? Just to make people more aware of the issues.

Edit: I just discovered a back way into Wikipedia! but not sure I should bother posting about it since it sort of defeats the whole protest thing.

because sopa isnt dead, and pipa is still very much alive and because even if both sopa and pipa get shitcanned as they should there is the exceedingly misnamed "open" still lurking in the wings to prove that the criminal cartels just wont stop until they get what they want.

garyopa
01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Yep the SOPA is not dead, just on the 'backburner' shelf, not on the current session of bills to be tabled, they are already looking at bringing it back in the new Feburary session for debate again. -- Maybe they think by killing it, people will stop talking about it, and then zoom it back in and rubber stamp it asap without any media coverage!

billysastard
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
want to know more about pipa?

watch the video on this link ...

http://lifehacker.com/5860205/all-about-sopa-the-bill-thats-going-to-cripple-your-internet

MadonnaProject
01-18-2012, 05:24 PM
wow. these americans. just quit while you're behind ok yanks?

in all seriousness the internet needs to be free the way it was always intended to be.

billysastard
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
want to see someone who under sopa would face imprisonment?

no, not me, its the author of that evil bill (or at least the person who claims authorship) (remember to click it so you can read it ;) )