PDA

View Full Version : FBI shuts down Megaupload

garyopa
01-19-2012, 09:52 PM
The popular file-sharing site was taken down today

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS000000867/icon_xl.jpg

Federal prosecutors blocked the entire site and charged founders

We are still shocked with the information we have just received but apparently, the FBI has taken down the popular file-sharing site, Megaupload. Their founders were charged for piracy and for costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue and are facing prison sentences.

Details are still at low but it appears that this is all part of a two years investigation against the site which is now considerated as an "international criminal enterprise centered on copyright infringement on the Internet", according to the New York Times:

The federal authorities on Thursday announced that they had charged seven people connected to the Web site Megaupload, including its founder, with running an international criminal enterprise centered on copyright infringement on the Internet.

According to a grand jury indictment, Megaupload — one of the most popular “locker” services on the Internet, which lets users anonymously transfer large files — generated $175 million in income for its operators through subscription fees and advertising, while causing $500 million in damages to copyright holders.

Four of the seven people, including the site’s founder Kim Dotcom, born Kim Schmitz, have been arrested in New Zealand, the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation said on Thursday; the three others remain at large. The seven — who a grand jury indictment calls part of a “Mega Conspiracy” — have been charged with five counts of copyright infringement and conspiracy, the authorities said.

The charges, which the government agencies said represented “among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States,” come at a charged time, a day after online protests against a pair of antipiracy bills being considered by Congress — the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, in the House, and the Protect I.P. Act, or PIPA, in the Senate.

The indictment was handed down by a grand jury in Virginia two weeks ago, but was unsealed on Thursday, and stems from a federal investigation that began two years ago.

The Megaupload case touches on many of the most controversial aspects of the antipiracy debate.

This is a bad thing, a very very bad thing. Our liberty is jeopardized.

OFFICIAL SITE: Notice of Grand Jury Indictment (via) Dept. of Justice (http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/January/12-crm-074.html)

NEWS SOURCE: Indictment charges Megaupload site with piracy (via) New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1)

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for reporting this very sad news today!

JonathanD
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Honestly I can't say I am surprised, so much pirated content and its become nearly impossible to police a service like Megaupload :( (It IS a service...)

In the same breath I am saddened because I used Megaupload on almost a daily basis for perfectly legal files, and the number of times I have used it to pirate something? Almost zero since it has that whole file size limit deal and who wants to deal with downloading 20 chunks of something...

Next up will be Google for providing search results and then forum posters for providing links to content.

There is a saying that sort of fits in with all this.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

LKJHGFDSA
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
How is this gaming related?

JonathanD
01-19-2012, 10:49 PM
How is this gaming related?

Megaupload has become almost synonymous with patches, mods, trainers. If they took down the servers then I know A LOT of web pages are going to be sans content right about now.

IJTF_Cinder
01-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Only in the US can you prosecute anyone in the world for anything you want, with nothing more than circumstantial evidence...so long as you're a business that's lining the pockets of politicians that is.

JonathanD
01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Only in the US can you prosecute anyone in the world for anything you want, with nothing more than circumstantial evidence...so long as you're a business that's lining the pockets of politicians that is.

My mother told me one time, after seeing some ridiculous thing on the news. "I thought we won world war two..."

She would be disgusted with the stuff that has been happening since then. (She died a year or two after 9/11 and the way things are headed she may have gotten the good end of the deal.)

HugeGorrila
01-20-2012, 01:19 AM
How could this be? I used to use this site from time to time and never shared anything copyrighted. Megaupload is not a pirate site. This needs to be reversed.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

billysastard
01-20-2012, 01:48 AM
How could this be? I used to use this site from time to time and never shared anything copyrighted. Megaupload is not a pirate site. This needs to be reversed.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

pardon me for asking but didnt you used to have a "vag", i might be dreaming or it could be from somewhere else?

as to the story yes, it sucks, it was great for legal mods and fixes although personally i used 4shared for sharing pics and video with family because they dont have a "suck speed" if you dont pay them.

still a little revenge was pretty swift with doj, fbi, mpaa, riaa, universal music,us copyright office, emi and hadopi all going missing too. :)

JonathanD
01-20-2012, 02:35 AM
pardon me for asking but didnt you used to have a "vag", i might be dreaming or it could be from somewhere else?

as to the story yes, it sucks, it was great for legal mods and fixes although personally i used 4shared for sharing pics and video with family because they dont have a "suck speed" if you dont pay them.

still a little revenge was pretty swift with doj, fbi, mpaa, riaa, universal music,us copyright office, emi and hadopi all going missing too. :)

See they didn't need SOPA after all... Sad day for people who like to tinker around, the world will become just a little darker. I think they are tying to put the genie back in the bottle, and I also suspect they will fail miserably at it.

PS

I can't open "PS Vita Sales Plummet Once Again" did SOPA do this too? lol

(Sort of hoped that you could some how use your powers to fix it...) I wanted to express my shock *snickers*

Retroboy
01-20-2012, 03:19 AM

only in the US you can prosecute anyone in the world for anything you want.

are you blind, didnt you see that megaupload was used to pirate music, movies, apps, games all this is illegal, only in YOUR world its ok to steal.

love it tho nothing more than circumstantial evidence..... whats circumstantial about it, you could log into their forums and grab a MASSIVE a-z of pirated content.

and your completely wrong trying to justify how this is ok, its got nothing to do with politicians, its the simple fact that while people are using megaupload to leake pirated content, put it this way as your business, you wouldnt have the same attitude.

dont cry everytime companies or laws take action against piracy, it has been illegal from day one, so stop trying to think different.

IJTF_Cinder
01-20-2012, 03:47 AM

are you blind, didnt you see that megaupload was used to pirate music, movies, apps, games all this is illegal, only in YOUR world its ok to steal.

love it tho nothing more than circumstantial evidence..... whats circumstantial about it, you could log into their forums and grab a MASSIVE a-z of pirated content.

and your completely wrong trying to justify how this is ok, its got nothing to do with politicians, its the simple fact that while people are using megaupload to leake pirated content, put it this way as your business, you wouldnt have the same attitude.

dont cry everytime companies or laws take action against piracy, it has been illegal from day one, so stop trying to think different.

Ok Mr. Blind Sheep...who can't see the big picture behind everything. Enjoy your future where you get thrown in jail for sharing things you even created yourself.

And go back to school if you want to be taken seriously in anything you post.

ZERO punctuation, poor spelling etc. I guess at least you don't postwall your entire blurb though, you get a silver star sticker for that.

billysastard
01-20-2012, 03:59 AM

just a few facts for you, i'm not going to argue about the content good or bad.

megaupload provided ip holders with takedown tools, it provided a dmca takedown facility, its ip holder takedown software was later altered owing to abuse by so called rights holders and they were restricted to 2,500 takedowns each per day, this was later increased to 5,500 and dont forget thats in addition to any dmca takedown notices that were issued by those companies, it was also massively popular with business users for storage and sharing of business documents.

and thats before we even get to the us government sticking its nose into the legal systems of other countries, maybe they didnt like the fact that it was a hugely successful FOREIGN company and so unlike the mpaa / riaa cartels wasnt helping to line their pockets.

no one is crying about companies or laws taking action against piracy in this case, just that the companies were provided with the tools and the laws were being complied with and the fact that this wasnt a lawsuit like viacom tried against youtube but was the us government taking the law into its own hands.

billysastard
01-20-2012, 04:06 AM
PS

I can't open "PS Vita Sales Plummet Once Again" did SOPA do this too? lol

(Sort of hoped that you could some how use your powers to fix it...) I wanted to express my shock *snickers*

i cant fix the front page, gary needs to do that i'm afraid but in the meantime use this link http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/showthread.php?185750-PS-Vita-Sales-Plummet-Once-Again and you should be able to post.

DEDDOA
01-20-2012, 04:43 AM
just a few facts for you, i'm not going to argue about the content good or bad.

megaupload provided ip holders with takedown tools, it provided a dmca takedown facility, its ip holder takedown software was later altered owing to abuse by so called rights holders and they were restricted to 2,500 takedowns each per day, this was later increased to 5,500 and dont forget thats in addition to any dmca takedown notices that were issued by those companies, it was also massively popular with business users for storage and sharing of business documents.

and thats before we even get to the us government sticking its nose into the legal systems of other countries, maybe they didnt like the fact that it was a hugely successful FOREIGN company and so unlike the mpaa / riaa cartels wasnt helping to line their pockets.

no one is crying about companies or laws taking action against piracy in this case, just that the companies were provided with the tools and the laws were being complied with and the fact that this wasnt a lawsuit like viacom tried against youtube but was the us government taking the law into its own hands.

I bet it's the 2500 per day that did it, I bet one day they needed to takedown 2501 and so a **** storm was unleashed, or I should say $ signs popped up inthe eyes of legal firms dealing with the takedowns. 9/10 you only ever hear of these anti piracy fiasco's based on the littlest of things while you rarely if ever heare of a major takedown. I am struggling to recall when i have heard of a so called piracy ring that uses, as claimed by the anti piracy campaigns, the procedes for terrorism or drugs, being taken down, noit's always sites taken down for what ends up being a minor infraction, or some kid getting nabbed for listening to a Mettalica song they downloaded. The odd thing is as well is that you rarely hear of anyone genuinely charged, it's always quiet out of court settlements, or the likes of what happened to Egohot the old don't do it again and we will forget the charges (or in eglish, we are not sure we would win not to mentiont he seriosuly bad PR we are getting fromt his at the mo), as the entrtainment industry want to be seen to be somthing frightening to pirates etc, but don't want to be seen as evil money grabbing s.o.b's to a public they know doesn't give a rats arse about their claims.

DEDDOA
01-20-2012, 04:49 AM

I love your blind devotion, always gives me a few laughs, that reminds me, I must take a look at the darwin awards site, not done that in a few years :p

MaxLouarn
01-20-2012, 04:55 AM
I know Kimble (Kim Schmitz/Dotcom) since 20 years. In fact I have helped him financially at the beginning of Megaupload. As usual he tried to never pay me back, as Kim is clearly both a crook and a genious. This is just for the little story.

Therefore I read in depth the whole indictment by the FBI.
Fact is, they really brought a lot of detailed information into the case. They never say that the principle of Megaupload is illegal. They say that this particular company, and its owners & managers, are doing everything on purpose to help piracy and get money out of it. This is why they arrested them.
If you read all the emails they quote - now on them to prove they are real emails - they clearly show the management team knowing about piracy generating the core traffic, and how to limit its removal, how to attract the maximum number of pirates etc.
The whole case of the FBI is around that. Without circumstantial evidences, they would have never brought up the case.

Now it does not mean I agree with them at all. As those new proposed US laws are totally wrong, and like the many examples given, if I send a video of my kids dancing on some copyrighted music to a friend, I could be sued. And many more other ways these laws could be abused.
But I do undestand why they went after Megaupload. If there was one to target, it was this one because of the clear intention to favor piracy by the management team. And they send a strong signal to all others: Either get your act together and truly fight pirated content, or you know what's going to happen.
They can't stop file sharing sites -yet-, but they can limit the number of pirated file on them and make it a bit harder to find them.
I think the whole point here is about counter power. I am pretty sure whether you support Megaupload or the FBI in this case, we all can agree Megaupload did its best to support piracy. The debate and support for Megaupload is not to know if they break the law, or whether we break the law when we D/L some copyrighted file on the internet, we know the answer. The debate is if the laws are fair in the first place, in this world. And mostly in USA, where it seems laws are written by corrupt lawmakers having their campaigns financed by big corporations, who obviously want something in return.
Basically we justify piracy and support Megaupload not because piracy is right, but because we feel Wall Street, Banks etc. are so unfairly getting rich on our backs, we morally are right to pirate or do other illegal stuff. But the law is not on our side, and I think not on Megaupload side when you read the emails.

2 other things:
1) US has no special power to go after anyone worldwide. They did just like any other country, asked for help from New Zealand, which can, like France (where I live) did many times, turn them down. Maybe 'weaker' countries cooperate more, but in general, there is global cooperation when it comes to democracies.
2) I am not a big fan of USA. What is scary there, is probably just to make an example out of it and push other file sharing sites to tighten up security, they are trying to put those 7 guys up to 45 years in prison? Basically sentence them to die in prison for this? That is absolutely wrong, just like the whole US justice system, in my eyes.

Retroboy
01-20-2012, 04:57 AM
makes you laugh sure it maybe was used for normal reasons and maybe it had something in place to "remove" pirate material, doesnt help the fact in its forums it had dedicated sections for downloading movies, music, software and games ect.

its clear just by looking in the forums that it was been used as a source to pirate content and this is why it was closed down.

has nothing to do with lining politicians pockets, thats basically what i was meaning.

you cant say you monitor and remove illegal content yet have dedicated forum sections thats full of illegal content, if the forum didnt have the topics for users to post links then megaupload could have denied any knowledge.

wrathchild
01-20-2012, 06:15 AM

Only a racist prick like yourself would say something so idiotic. The crimes megaupload is being charged with is hardly circumstantial retard. And business people "line" politicians pockets in every country around the world so the U.S. isn't any different.

MaxLouarn
01-20-2012, 06:21 AM
And business people "line" politicians pockets in every country around the world so the U.S. isn't any different.

That is VERY wrong. In France, it is ILLEGAL for a politician to take money from a private company, and even from general public it is very limited. It is crime! And although it happens underhand -humans remain humans-, if they get caught, and many did, they are indicted.
And in fact, the whole purpose of the law is to avoid corruption. Their thinking is quite simple: If you take money from a corporation to be elected, you will be tempted to return the favor by passing law not in the common interest, not fair, but just to reward your contributor. Basically that = corruption.
If you want to know how they finance the campaign, which have budgets way below US version because of this lack of 'sponsoring': 1) with people subscribing to the party membership fee 2) each election the number of votes you reach entitle you to a payment handled by a special fund run by the state. If you get xxx vote, you receive yyy money. Obviously the most votes, the most money you receive.

It is quite strange that 2 of the world's most known democracies have such different take on it. Basically France is saying that US system for political campaign is built to favor corruption. :(

Retroboy
01-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Only a racist prick like yourself would say something so idiotic. The crimes megaupload is being charged with is hardly circumstantial retard. And business people "line" politicians pockets in every country around the world so the U.S. isn't any different.

lol i agree, i find funny how he was blinded to even understand that megaupload was used to leak pirated content, thats why it was shut down, it has nothing to do with us politicians because what it was used for is illegal world wide.

megaupload only has itself to blame for allowing people to upload pirated content to its forums.

JonathanD
01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
That is VERY wrong. In France, it is ILLEGAL for a politician to take money from a private company, and even from general public it is very limited. It is crime! And although it happens underhand -humans remain humans-, if they get caught, and many did, they are indicted.
And in fact, the whole purpose of the law is to avoid corruption. Their thinking is quite simple: If you take money from a corporation to be elected, you will be tempted to return the favor by passing law not in the common interest, not fair, but just to reward your contributor. Basically that = corruption.
If you want to know how they finance the campaign, which have budgets way below US version because of this lack of 'sponsoring': 1) with people subscribing to the party membership fee 2) each election the number of votes you reach entitle you to a payment handled by a special fund run by the state. If you get xxx vote, you receive yyy money. Obviously the most votes, the most money you receive.

It is quite strange that 2 of the world's most known democracies have such different take on it. Basically France is saying that US system for political campaign is built to favor corruption. :(

I estimate about 10-20 years maybe less the US is going down the tubes in a massive way, so many people talking openly about revolution here its not funny. (You don't see that on the media...) people are pretty pissed off and feel like the politicians have sold out at every conceivable opportunity. I honestly can't blame them, some of the decisions made are so bad its not even funny.

JonathanD
01-20-2012, 07:12 AM
I know Kimble (Kim Schmitz/Dotcom) since 20 years. In fact I have helped him financially at the beginning of Megaupload. As usual he tried to never pay me back, as Kim is clearly both a crook and a genious. This is just for the little story.

Therefore I read in depth the whole indictment by the FBI.
Fact is, they really brought a lot of detailed information into the case. They never say that the principle of Megaupload is illegal. They say that this particular company, and its owners & managers, are doing everything on purpose to help piracy and get money out of it. This is why they arrested them.
If you read all the emails they quote - now on them to prove they are real emails - they clearly show the management team knowing about piracy generating the core traffic, and how to limit its removal, how to attract the maximum number of pirates etc.
The whole case of the FBI is around that. Without circumstantial evidences, they would have never brought up the case.

Now it does not mean I agree with them at all. As those new proposed US laws are totally wrong, and like the many examples given, if I send a video of my kids dancing on some copyrighted music to a friend, I could be sued. And many more other ways these laws could be abused.
But I do undestand why they went after Megaupload. If there was one to target, it was this one because of the clear intention to favor piracy by the management team. And they send a strong signal to all others: Either get your act together and truly fight pirated content, or you know what's going to happen.
They can't stop file sharing sites -yet-, but they can limit the number of pirated file on them and make it a bit harder to find them.
I think the whole point here is about counter power. I am pretty sure whether you support Megaupload or the FBI in this case, we all can agree Megaupload did its best to support piracy. The debate and support for Megaupload is not to know if they break the law, or whether we break the law when we D/L some copyrighted file on the internet, we know the answer. The debate is if the laws are fair in the first place, in this world. And mostly in USA, where it seems laws are written by corrupt lawmakers having their campaigns financed by big corporations, who obviously want something in return.
Basically we justify piracy and support Megaupload not because piracy is right, but because we feel Wall Street, Banks etc. are so unfairly getting rich on our backs, we morally are right to pirate or do other illegal stuff. But the law is not on our side, and I think not on Megaupload side when you read the emails.

2 other things:
1) US has no special power to go after anyone worldwide. They did just like any other country, asked for help from New Zealand, which can, like France (where I live) did many times, turn them down. Maybe 'weaker' countries cooperate more, but in general, there is global cooperation when it comes to democracies.
2) I am not a big fan of USA. What is scary there, is probably just to make an example out of it and push other file sharing sites to tighten up security, they are trying to put those 7 guys up to 45 years in prison? Basically sentence them to die in prison for this? That is absolutely wrong, just like the whole US justice system, in my eyes.

Thank you for this information.
It was a lot to read but I read every word :)

I agree that the core people who paid to use Megaupload where probably pirates. Why would anyone pay to download over what ever limit it was? 99% of the legal files I downloaded from Megaupload where in the 10-20 MB range. So paying to download faster was a non issue for me. I personally never downloaded any bad stuff from MU and now I am glad I didn't. I wonder if MU kept records of what IP's downloaded what?

Maybe things will get so bad pirates will go back to sneaker net.

I live in the US, so this dance of legalities really has me worried. I post a lot of video's from youtube maybe I get popped next for linking too pirated content and I didn't even know it was pirated.....

Xenogears V
01-20-2012, 08:11 AM
There are many many hoster site in the world. Close megaupload, isn't for sure a solution. It was a great "service", to share big file in the world. For example, I had uploaded a wedding Hd video, for friends. over 2Gb file. It is impossible send via mail, because, many many brands, can't upload attachements over 1Gb.

Megaupload, wasn't a pirate site, but only a service site, to send and share files. If people used it, to share copyrighted matirial, wasn't megaupload guilty.

Is like a gun. Guns can be used to hurt people. Not all guns owner are slayers. Depends "one" what does.

It will be difficult to find another hoster without loading time, captcha and high speed to not registered user.

Retroboy
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
There are many many hoster site in the world. Close megaupload, isn't for sure a solution. It was a great "service", to share big file in the world. For example, I had uploaded a wedding Hd video, for friends. over 2Gb file. It is impossible send via mail, because, many many brands, can't upload attachements over 1Gb.

Megaupload, wasn't a pirate site, but only a service site, to send and share files. If people used it, to share copyrighted matirial, wasn't megaupload guilty.

Is like a gun. Guns can be used to hurt people. Not all guns owner are slayers. Depends "one" what does.

It will be difficult to find another hoster without loading time, captcha and high speed to not registered user.

megaupload was guilty because they had created in their forums sections for downloads such as console game downloads, handheld game downloads, pc game downloads, dvd downloads, blue ray downloads the list goes on and on.

the gun is a very poor example, yes you can own a gun with a licence but you cant go wandering the streets with one.

regardless of how you look at it, MU was used by people to share pirated content, MU was making money from this which the owners of the pirated content wasnt and thats how it ended up been shut down, those who say its wrong are saying its ok to share/download pirated content.

please give me your addresses if you are those people, ill come and steal everything from your house, its not illegal apparently to steal..

billysastard
01-20-2012, 09:04 AM
megaupload was guilty because they had created in their forums sections for downloads such as console game downloads, handheld game downloads, pc game downloads, dvd downloads, blue ray downloads the list goes on and on.

the gun is a very poor example, yes you can own a gun with a licence but you cant go wandering the streets with one.

regardless of how you look at it, MU was used by people to share pirated content, MU was making money from this which the owners of the pirated content wasnt and thats how it ended up been shut down, those who say its wrong are saying its ok to share/download pirated content.

please give me your addresses if you are those people, ill come and steal everything from your house, its not illegal apparently to steal..

i'll provide you my address and you are welcome to come and steal whatever you want, as long as you leave everything EXACTLY AS IT WAS WITH NOTHING MISSING AT ALL just like piracy does, there is a reason that its called copyright infringement and not copyright theft and that is because you are not stealing anything from the owner since they still have exactly the same number of copies to sell, it doesnt matter how much money the criminal cartels spend trying to say its theft, the fact and the law says it isnt, its infringement.

its about time these lying corrupting criminals and the obviously brain dead idiot politicians who actually believe them were at the very least recalled and voted out of office and at best intimidated and threatened just as they have happily done to young children and older people who dont even own computers but have been falsely accused and threatened under the cartels version of guilty till proven innocent then still guilty laws. i know if i owned a company who used megaupload legally i'd be talking to my lawyers and if i'd used it to store or share sensitive documents i'd be screaming at my politicians because i wouldnt be too happy about having my documents in the possession of not only a foreign power but what is rapidly becoming an enemy power to much of the world.

Retroboy
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
lol how did any of that make any sence at all, its called stealing because youve got it without paying for it, which was what i ment by stealing your possestions.

so you are 100% ok with the fact if you had a business (which youd FAIL EPICALLY at) that one person would buy your product then leak it for anyone to grab for free??

no you wouldnt so why are you making it out to be so??

garyopa
01-20-2012, 10:04 AM
New York Times, published an updated report, including the arrest of 'Kim Dotcom' and the tons of money and cars they found in his NZ mansion:

http://scmods.com/pictures/kimdotcom.jpg

In a television image, Megaupload's founder, Kim Dotcom, was escorted by a police officer at a court in Auckland, New Zealand, on Friday.

NEW YORK — In what authorities have called one of the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have seized the Web site Megaupload and charged seven people connected with it with running an international enterprise based on Internet piracy.

Megaupload, one of the most popular so-called locker services on the Internet, allowed users to transfer large files like movies and music anonymously. Media companies have long accused it of abetting copyright infringement on a vast scale. In a grand jury indictment, Megaupload is accused of causing $500 million in damages to copyright owners and of making $175 million by selling ads and premium subscriptions.

Four of the seven people, including the site’s founder, Kim Dotcom (born Kim Schmitz), were arrested Friday in New Zealand; the three others remain at large. Each of the seven people — who the indictment said were members of a criminal group it called Mega Conspiracy — is charged with five counts of copyright infringement and conspiracy. The charges could result in more than 20 years in prison.

As part of the crackdown, about 20 search warrants were executed in the United States and in eight other countries, including New Zealand. About $50 million in assets were also seized, as well as a number of servers and 18 domain names that formed Megaupload’s network of file-sharing sites.

The police arrived at Dotcom Mansion in Auckland on Friday morning in two helicopters. Mr. Dotcom, a 37-year-old with dual Finnish and German citizenship, retreated into a safe room, and the police had to cut their way in. He was eventually arrested with a firearm close by that the police said appeared to be a shortened shotgun.

“It was definitely not as simple as knocking at the front door,” said Grant Wormald, a detective inspector.

The police said they seized 6 million New Zealand dollars, or $4.8 million, in luxury vehicles, including a Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe and a pink 1959 Cadillac. They also seized art and electronic equipment and froze 11 million dollars in cash in various accounts.

Mr. Dotcom and three others arrested in New Zealand appeared in court Friday afternoon and were denied bail. Extradition proceedings will continue Monday.

The police said the other three arrested in New Zealand were Finn Batato, 38, a German citizen and resident; Mathias Ortmann, 40, a German citizen who is a resident of Hong Kong; and Bram van der Kolk, 29, a Dutch citizen who is a resident of New Zealand.

The police said they were still searching Dotcom Mansion on Friday evening.

Ira P. Rothken, a lawyer for Megaupload, said by telephone Thursday that “Megaupload believes the government is wrong on the facts, wrong on the law.”

The arrests were greeted almost immediately with digital Molotov cocktails. The hacker collective that calls itself Anonymous attacked the Web sites of the United States Justice Department and several major entertainment companies and trade groups in retaliation for the seizure of Megaupload.

The case against Megaupload comes at a charged time, a day after broad online protests against a pair of antipiracy bills in Congress: the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, in the House of Representatives, and the Protect Intellectual Property Act, or PIPA, in the Senate.

The bills would give United States authorities expanded powers to crack down on foreign sites suspected of piracy. But technology companies and civil liberties groups say that the powers are too broadly defined and could effectively result in censorship. On Wednesday, Google and Wikipedia joined dozens of sites in political protests by blacking out some content and explaining their arguments against the laws.

The group Anonymous, which has previously set its sights on PayPal, Sony and major media executives, was more blunt in its response. The group disabled the Justice Department’s site for a time, and it also claimed credit for shutting down sites for the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America, two of the most powerful media lobbies in Washington, as well as those of Universal Music Group, the largest music label, and BMI, which represents music publishers.

“Let’s just say, for #SOPA supporters their #SOPAblackout is today,” Anonymous wrote in a Twitter post. In an e-mail, a spokesman for the group said it was responsible for the Web attacks.

The Megaupload case touches on many of the most controversial aspects of the anti-piracy debate. Megaupload and similar sites, like RapidShare and MediaFire, are often promoted as convenient ways to transfer large files legitimately; a recent promotional video had major stars like Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas singing Megaupload’s praises. But media companies say the legitimate uses are a veil concealing extensive theft.

Mr. Dotcom has made himself a visible target. He splits his time between Hong Kong and New Zealand and casts himself in flamboyant YouTube videos. His role as one of the most prominent Web locker operators has earned him a half-joking nickname in Hollywood: Dr. Evil.

According to the indictment, he took in $42 million from Megaupload’s operations in 2010.

The indictment against Megaupload, which stems from a federal inquiry that began two years ago, was handed down by a grand jury in Virginia two weeks ago but was not unsealed until Thursday.

It quotes extensively from correspondence among the defendants, who work for Megaupload and its related sites. The correspondence, the indictment says, shows that the operators knew the site contained unauthorized content.

The indictment cites an e-mail from last February, for example, in which three members of the group discussed an article about how to stop the government from seizing domain names.

The Megaupload case is unusual, said Orin S. Kerr, a law professor at George Washington University, in that federal prosecutors obtained the private e-mails of Megaupload’s operators in an effort to show they were operating in bad faith.

“The government hopes to use their private words against them,” Mr. Kerr said. “This should scare the owners and operators of similar sites.”

Nicole Perlroth contributed reporting. Jonathan Hutchison contributed reporting from Dunedin, New Zealand.

Squirrel61
01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
See they didn't need SOPA after all...
No, but with SOPA and PIPA they don't need the judge anymore to accomplish the same... Would be much faster and give far less legal mess!

IJTF_Cinder
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Yes because Americans are a "race", and my post would even qualify as racist...go back to school along with Diztructor. And no, despite your sheltered and obedience to Big Brother ignorance, not every country works like the US...who's the retard now?

Mchief298
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Pathetic. It truly is. MegaUpload is not, and never would have been a dedicated pirating website. You want to shut down websites? Aim at torrents.. Not a website where millions have shared legal files. Freedom is getting pretty damn expensive these days.

lol how did any of that make any sence at all, its called stealing because youve got it without paying for it, which was what i ment by stealing your possestions.

so you are 100% ok with the fact if you had a business (which youd FAIL EPICALLY at) that one person would buy your product then leak it for anyone to grab for free??

no you wouldnt so why are you making it out to be so??

Along with your fail English, your argument makes no sense. I'm guessing you are foreign, too lazy to check right now.

Do you have any idea what theft is? We are not just walking into a store, and taking a video game off the shelf and leaving without paying for it. That is theft. Making copies of something? That is not theft. I agree that it is wrong, but arguing that it is stealing is just a sure-fire sign of stupidity on your part.

billysastard
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
on the bright side sopa and pipa died today leaving the cartels weeping and wailing into their giant pots of gold and wondering how much more than the 1.9 million they already spent they will need to try to get the next anti planet bill through ,still at least after the bills were dropped the esa finally decided to pull its support officially claiming that it didnt support the bills because of their "unintended consequences"*

*unintended consequences meaning the public found out too soon and since half the companies they represent had dropped support publicly and it was beginning to look like it would have consequences for their e3 show with some clients pulling out and parts of the media threatening to boycott the event starving them of funds and publicity let alone the protests at the event itself it made the decision to write off the $150,000 dollars it had wasted on bribery, sorry, i mean lobbying, to get them passed.

EpyonAC
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
on the bright side sopa and pipa died today leaving the cartels weeping and wailing into their giant pots of gold and wondering how much more than the 1.9 million they already spent they will need to try to get the next anti planet bill through ,still at least after the bills were dropped the esa finally decided to pull its support officially claiming that it didnt support the bills because of their "unintended consequences"*

*unintended consequences meaning the public found out too soon and since half the companies they represent had dropped support publicly and it was beginning to look like it would have consequences for their e3 show with some clients pulling out and parts of the media threatening to boycott the event starving them of funds and publicity let alone the protests at the event itself it made the decision to write off the $150,000 dollars it had wasted on bribery, sorry, i mean lobbying, to get them passed.

Quoted for Truth

Nocuddle
01-21-2012, 04:09 AM

I have downloaded this particular song into my brain (it can hold 167,000,000,000,005,000,800 songs, better than your average EXT USB HDD). I didnt pay for it. I stole it from radio, CD, your grandma, TV, WWW, etc.

Naow please sue me for stealing.

ps: btw, that particular song I mentioned is this & wont stop playin' in my brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF86D_UNxc

billysastard
01-21-2012, 01:49 PM
ooops it seems that riaa just fell off an e-cliff yet again ;)

This web page is not available.The web page at http://www.riaa.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload (http://www.riaa.com/) this web page later.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAwAAAAMCAIAAAD ZF8uwAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAAlwSFlzAAALEwAACxMBAJqcG AAAAAd0SU1FB9kKEBUKMVKQIVIAAADiSURBVBjTjZGxagJREEX vm2yRFJI62KUJ0Y+ws0gVBP0ELfyD/EH+IMHaRjBYWdjZGwKCQSz8AQt3I1l87LtvLN4qWxjJrS5zD3M Zxmy2djT+nkzXOKd67f75qRIFYvDeOAu1Oh+L1QbN9lALAmbAr DhptoeCi/LeA4guECSdczm0t9nN9bwYG/MZTJw8ABAAjvxrWYgiAFnGbfIoIgBuSwsAya5KkqTLjnXW2rwF Jpg0Tb33JL3XHPpN93ROVU8tcfyjUFUVIwBMr/81ma5fulVHhoNPuhJ5fVuW70rmP285AJVgi6pOot+gAAAAAElF TkSuQmCC (chrome://chromewebdata/) (chrome://chromewebdata/)More information on this error

garyopa
01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Some people asking about the Kim stuff that got grabbed, so here is some nice pictures taken during the aftermath of the raid:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliottkember/sets/72157628949521545/with/6729504345/

In that photo album you can see the various car license plates, like GOD, MAFIA, HACKER, POLICE, STONED, CEO

I was going to embedded the pictures here, but the camera person wants permission, so best to view it on his flickr site.

CNN has written down a nice list of the various items, this does not include the all the seized artwork or the 64 bank accounts:

Three 82-inch Samsung 820DXN LCD TVs
Two 108-inch Sharp LCD TVs
Two Sony PMW-F3K cameras
Two 65-inch Sharp LC-65XS1M LCD TVs
A 56-inch TVLogic LUM56W
60 Dell 710 computer servers
2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drop Head Coupe
2010 Maserati GranCabrio
16 various modern Mercedes-Benz vehicles (including many CLK and CL series)
1989 Lamborghini LM002
1959 Cadillac Series 62 convertible
1957 Cadillac El Dorado
Unknown Harley Davidson motorcycle
Von Dutch Kustom motor bike
Two 2010 Mini Cooper S coupes
2010 Sea-Doo GTX jet ski

JonathanD
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I have downloaded this particular song into my brain (it can hold 167,000,000,000,005,000,800 songs, better than your average EXT USB HDD). I didnt pay for it. I stole it from radio, CD, your grandma, TV, WWW, etc.

Naow please sue me for stealing.

ps: btw, that particular song I mentioned is this & wont stop playin' in my brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF86D_UNxc

lol Don't give the RIAA any idea's... I found this picture on another web page and thought it was so nice I would share it here.

billysastard
01-23-2012, 12:08 AM
lol Don't give the RIAA any idea's... I found this picture on another web page and thought it was so nice I would share it here.

lol that reminds me of this one (which is kind of on topic)

Kaos2K
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I have just read this, hilarious x'D

Kim DotCom, the Internet millionaire who ran Megaupload, was and is the world number one player of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. No, he didn't pirate the game. DotCom, or as he is known by his gamertag, MEGARACER, managed to rack up over 180,000 kills, with a score of 9.05 million.

http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/news/megaupload-king-is-worlds-best-modern-warfare-3-player.html

billysastard
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I have just read this, hilarious x'D

http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/news/megaupload-king-is-worlds-best-modern-warfare-3-player.html

yes, i saw that on a site the other day, said he was also #1 in the weekly rankings for that week despite being arrested part way through.

Kaos2K
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
If i were millionarie and had at least 24h of free time a day like him, i'm sure that i will climb up to top in some games' ladder too..