PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Nintendo could change the Wii U name

garyopa
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
It might be called different at this E3

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000001124/icon_xl.jpg

Looks like Nintendo is going back to the 'drawing board' in order to avoid 'confusions', just like the DS and 3DS

Nintendo could rename Wii U and they might call it different at this E3, CVG sources report.

This re-thinking, could be related to the 'confusion' generated between 3DS and DS, in which some costumers thought 3DS was just an upgraded DS, because of their name and similar appearance.

The bulk of Nintendo's second guessing apparently comes from how the 3DS was received, with many potential buyers wondering if the system was simply an upgraded DS. With losses mounting and even more pressure on Nintendo to perform, these rumors suggest that serious discussions are now being held as to whether the name 'Wii U' is strong enough. If a change is necessary, this same rumor claims a new name would be revealed prior to E3 2012.

In fact, some people thought Wii U was just a controller-only addon for the Wii at the past E3. So, this could save some trouble for Nintendo in the future and they would avoid any confusion.

We will know for sure if this is true before this year E3.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Wii U maybe changing its name!!! (via) IGN (http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217316p1.html)
NEWS SOURCE #2: Nintendo seriously discussing Wii U name change (via) Gematsu (http://gematsu.com/2012/01/rumor-nintendo-seriously-discussing-wii-u-name-change)

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for another fine news story!

JonathanD
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Wii 18 inches of fun? probably not the name they will be thinking....

Maybe they will call this one Revolution that would be pretty cool.

sotsog
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I think changing the name is necessary. I didn't think people would get confused over the 3DS and I was dead wrong. Not to mention it took a good while after E3 before allot of people realized it was a whole new system and not just a new controller.

JonathanD
01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I think changing the name is necessary. I didn't think people would get confused over the 3DS and I was dead wrong. Not to mention it took a good while after E3 before allot of people realized it was a whole new system and not just a new controller.

I have to admit that initially I thought it was a new controller too. I mean in a sense it is a new controller but the system is also new lol

iamchris
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
but the 3ds is a repackaged ds.....

the wii is a gamecube in a different shell

i dont see the problem here...

oh yeah.... kidtendo trying to snake people

sotsog
01-27-2012, 12:43 AM
but the 3ds is a repackaged ds.....

the wii is a gamecube in a different shell

i dont see the problem here...

oh yeah.... kidtendo trying to snake people

This is what I mean with poor name choices, it allows this stupidity.

Retroboy
01-27-2012, 01:57 AM
nintendo do this all the time, make a hype on its next console then change its name and everyones like GOSH WOW.

Dolphin - GameCube
Revolution - Wii
Wii u - Nintendo iFAD pmsl

billysastard
01-27-2012, 06:59 AM
unusual to change the name twice but given the confusion with ds-3ds it might make some sense although what that would do to the branding on the nintendo network i dont know since its basically a red inverted u still i'm glad they decided to go with named accounts and shared downloads across accounts on a console and their "rape free" dlc where you still buy a complete game on disc (or digitally) and any dlc must add to the original complete game and not be content removed for later sale, something several greedy publishers could learn from.

nice to see the new aliens game has been put back so it can launch along with the wii u as well.

wewii
01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Also long as they preserve their Wii name (with something other than U) then don't need to spend more marketing on an already established brand.

ploggy
01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
I say call it WiiS360+ (Ipad Controller Edition)

billysastard
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I say call it WiiS360+ (Ipad Controller Edition)

i dont think they could do that since its much more powerful than than ps3 or 360 and the fact that "ipad" controller also includes a fully secure payments system for use on the nintendo network puts it streets ahead of any other controller and you have to love the fact that they are using it not just for payments but also for certain games (think skylanders type, maybe with pokemon), it is however the inclusion of the NFC payments system that will be the real headliner and something that you can bet both sony and ms will rush to copy, not too sure about the on controller camera though since that makes teabagging just way too easy especially since voice / video chat is available out of the box without having to buy add ons.

billysastard
01-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Also long as they preserve their Wii name (with something other than U) then don't need to spend more marketing on an already established brand.

its the wii name thats going to prevent the ds / 3ds confusion, favourite is the u-nes (ultra nes) although i did see someone suggest "Powerful Nintendo Entertainment System" although i think that better describes certain sony fanboys once shortened to its initials ;)

Xenogears V
01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
My bet is, Wii 2.

iamchris
01-28-2012, 03:17 AM
This is what I mean with poor name choices, it allows this stupidity.

Are you kidding man? Arguably re4 is graphically the best gc game and on the wii nothing beats it, but duh duh duh... its remake with wii mote controls. The graphics on the wii and gc are the same, its essentially a gc with a new controller. They could have easily released the wii mote with the gc but they knew they could make money off people like you. People like you are whats wrong with games today, why games are.on a decline.

billysastard
01-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Are you kidding man? Arguably re4 is graphically the best gc game and on the wii nothing beats it, but duh duh duh... its remake with wii mote controls. The graphics on the wii and gc are the same, its essentially a gc with a new controller. They could have easily released the wii mote with the gc but they knew they could make money off people like you. People like you are whats wrong with games today, why games are.on a decline.

those lessons that youve been taking from diztructor seem to be paying off, you are now spouting almost his level of made up rubbish.