PDA

View Full Version : Vita HBL Homebrew loader, how the release will happen

garyopa
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
PSP homebrew developer answers questions regarding the PS Vita HBL project

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000001395/icon_xl.jpg

As the release of the PS Vita comes closer to the big world-wide release, alot people are wondering about the PSP emulator exploit that been turned into a HBL (aka) 'Homebrew Loader' that runs on Vita

First of all, the easy ones: VHBL (thatís the super new cool name of HBL on the Vita, Iíll let you guess what the V means, I know, Iím super original) will not support loading PSP isos. Basically VHBL will have the same limitations and features as HBL on the PSP, and, last time I checked, running psp isos was not possible through HBL. The same HBL limitations apply to compatible homebrews. In a general way, user mode homebrews should work for the most part, while homebrews that require kernel access will not work. For now (but that could change), homebrews requiring network access might not work (or at least, the network part of them will not work). Like in the patapon exploit era, it is possible, depending on the success of VHBL, that we progressively increase compatibility if we (as a community) keep improving the HBL code in the weeks following the release. Oh, and I am talking about PSP homebrews, running in HBL within the PSP emulator. So, for now, donít dream about a full speed N64 or psp2 emulator. What weíll get are the PSP homebrews that you already know.

Second, the vulnerability we rely on to run VHBL is a vulnerability in a PSP full Game, not a Demo. This means you will have to buy that game on the PSN in order to run VHBL (just like in the good old days of GTA:LCS for the first eLoader on the PSP). This also means that as soon as we reveal the name of that game, Sony can probably remove it from the PSN and/or patch it.

This leads to the most asked question: when and how will this be released? Well, I have a basic idea on how the release will happen. Nothing spectacular but it should hopefully be enough to guarantee that people who are really motivated in getting their hands on HBL on their Vita will get it. Iím hoping that constantly reminding people that this doesnít allow the to run any pirated content will attract the right people to this exploit, and not the 95% of pirates that define any console hacking scene these days

In the past weeks Iíve been polishing the release process, and I canít predict the future, but hopefully it will go well.

Nevertheless, getting access to this exploit for you guys will be a matter of being at the right place, at the right time.

For now Iím thinking Sonyís reaction wil be to remove the game from the PSN within 24h of the public announcement. Worst case scenario, Sony is already aware of the vulnerability and have already patched the game. This is unfortunately not something I can test without getting any more guinea pigsÖ these guinea pigs will basically be you when the release happens, I canít really do any better than that. Obviously, the release will not happen like your typical hack release (a dramatic article on every news site of the planet copying the hackerís initial blog post). It will be, I expect, a bit more subtle than that.

So there you have the low-down on the status of the HBL now being called VHBL, but this update was posted before Sony just released 1.6 firmware, no matter what I think it going to be tough battle between getting the 'exploit' out, Sony patching it, and sites reporting the news, as no matter Wololo's plans it is 'hot subject' which is being watched by everyone.

Future VHBL download page: http://wololo.net/wagic/vhbl/ via Wololo's Blog

NEWS SOURCE: How the release will happen (via) Wololo's Blog (http://wololo.net/wagic/2012/02/03/vita-hbl-how-the-release-will-happen/)

Our thanks to 'Stevetry' for another news tip!

billysastard
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
most obvious way is launch the software and get people to join a mail list then after a couple of weeks to let everyone who wants it download it email them all the name of the game so they can download it before sony can patch it.

JonathanD
02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
most obvious way is launch the software and get people to join a mail list then after a couple of weeks to let everyone who wants it download it email them all the name of the game so they can download it before sony can patch it.

I really would hate to have to pick between running homebrew emulators on a Vita and playing any new games or being online....

Of course for far cheaper if you just wanted HB you could get the A380, the specs are about twice as good as the PSP's I think.

http://dingoo-digital-usa.com/product.sc;jsessionid=28F4DE60F534272427D21D0C3384 CD7D.qscstrfrnt01?productId=52

kcvfr400
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Honestly if you want to play homebrew get a caanoo it has a nice Amiga emulator and is the most user friendly out there or the yinlips ydpg18 if you can get the so called dual core 1.5ghz new version. I have a feeling its going to be like ps3 in that if you want to play the games designed for the sytem then don't bother or you miss out on trophies and online play and spend more time reading and messing with updates than playing.

JonathanD
02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Honestly if you want to play homebrew get a caanoo it has a nice Amiga emulator and is the most user friendly out there or the yinlips ydpg18 if you can get the so called dual core 1.5ghz new version. I have a feeling its going to be like ps3 in that if you want to play the games designed for the sytem then don't bother or you miss out on trophies and online play and spend more time reading and messing with updates than playing.

I had never heard of those two systems (looking them up now!) lol Thank you!!!

Yeah the only way to really enjoy the Vita or at least having any hope of enjoying it properly is to jump through Sony's endless hoops and have a very open mind and wallet.

I just finished looking up those two, my god that second one looks amazing, I was able to find a place to buy them 120$ is a steal! It goes on the list lol

1.2Ghz cpu 400Mhz GPU 512MB's of RAM. Yes please! lol

Edit: After digging around a bit I watched a video for the JXD S7100, looks fun too! Android powered Cortex A9 CPU capacitive touch screen (the screen looks huge but it could be just little Chinese peoples hands, they make everything look huge lol)

That could be the tablet thingy I would get... Looks like it does everything and the kitchen sink.

kcvfr400
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I had never heard of those two systems (looking them up now!) lol Thank you!!!

Yeah the only way to really enjoy the Vita or at least having any hope of enjoying it properly is to jump through Sony's endless hoops and have a very open mind and wallet.

I just finished looking up those two, my god that second one looks amazing, I was able to find a place to buy them 120$ is a steal! It goes on the list lol

1.2Ghz cpu 400Mhz GPU 512MB's of RAM. Yes please! lol

I am eyeing up the yinlips myself have read many decent reviews and youtube vid's. I own a caanoo and it goes down a storm with the kids for mame and Amiga finally I get to enjoy a decent handheld emulator.

JonathanD
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I am eyeing up the yinlips myself have read many decent reviews and youtube vid's. I own a caanoo and it goes down a storm with the kids for mame and Amiga finally I get to enjoy a decent handheld emulator.

I think I am gonna get that JXD S7100 myself, for the price its even cheaper then the 3DS or the Vita and for my purposes does like 10X more. Hell looks like in a pinch the thing could be a replacement for a laptop.

Xenogears V
02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't say a cfw but, I hope sony can give the possibility to run homebrew on ps Vita. If no, I hope Hacker will breack this barries. Quad Core processor, touch screen and much more can open a new world for homebrews.

kneehighspy
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
i'm still loving my Pandora handheld for homebrew, gaming and tons of other stuff. yeah Pandora is relatively expensive, but with all the emulators and games i have on mine, it's totally worth it to me.