PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Nintendo Tweaked Wii U to Run Unreal Engine 4

garyopa
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Speculation on the Nintendo Wii U is running out of control, and latest is it can now handle the newest engine from Unreal

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000004253/icon_xl.jpg

It would be nice if Nintendo just came clean out and stated all the facts about the Nintendo Wii U and what games are in the works, in the meantime 'Inside Sources' are claiming it runs 'Unreal 4'

Inside sources claim that Nintendo has tweaked the Wii U to run the Unreal Engine 4. We've heard multiple times that the Wii U was still in a tweaking process with Nintendo, with new specs cropping up with every dev kit.

The rumor first appeared on the NeoGAF Forums and it starts alot more speculation:

I've just heard it from a friend that Epic has UE3 & UE4 up and running on Wii U hardware.

His source works for a developer, one that I shall not name, but they do work on pretty much every system. So that alleviates any concerns that I didn't have over the Wii U power issue as far as I'm concerned.

NEWS SOURCE: NeoGAF Forums (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35896091&postcount=18861)

Our thanks to 'Valwin' for another news story!

DEDDOA
03-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I guess they are doing the same as MS did with the 360, not giving away to much so as to throw off the competition, worked like a dream with the 360 as it mant Sony had to panic on the PS3 as it wasn't more powerfull as they had thought given the initial specs of the 360 and had to start the trend for the PS3, as in start removing features (that whole dual screen gaming and all games at 60fps at 1080p was gone before it even launched, which it could hae possibl managed if it was competing with a slightly faster than a wii 360). Never hurts to do a little missdirection so long as the games look good as only a small minority care about specs, the masses want pretty pictures.

MadonnaProject
03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
This is typical nintendo. Remember how the 3ds was supposed to have 360 and ps3 equivalent graphics?

There is no way the wii-u will play the unreal 4 engine. If it doesn the engine would be toned down to fit the 360 and ps3 also.

Period. This happens with every nintendo console where they grossly overstate the power. Why doesn't anyone learn?

Mr.Do!
03-12-2012, 08:00 AM
This is typical nintendo. Remember how the 3ds was supposed to have 360 and ps3 equivalent graphics?

There is no way the wii-u will play the unreal 4 engine. If it doesn the engine would be toned down to fit the 360 and ps3 also.

Period. This happens with every nintendo console where they grossly overstate the power. Why doesn't anyone learn?

Well.. Nintendo didnt make the statement.. Its a rumor from some 3rd party..

Nintendo never released specs of the 3ds.. Other people were specualtiong how powerful it was.

I belive the last time nintendo released specs, and performance benchmarks was with the Gamecube. If i remember they were actually modest compared to what the machine could handle.. I think rougue squandron at Launch had already exceeded the released benchmarks of the cube.

This can all be wrong though as i dont really follow the spec sheets of any console system. I only really pay attention when i am buying PC stuff to what i have under the hood..

msanchez
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
...I belive the last time nintendo released specs, and performance benchmarks was with the Gamecube...

That sounds logical... I mean the last time ninty didn't have to be embarrassed about it's consoles specs was with the gamecube. Good thing for them, seems most of their fans couldn't give a rat ass about specs.

Mr.Do!
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
That sounds logical... I mean the last time ninty didn't have to be embarrassed about it's consoles specs was with the gamecube. Good thing for them, seems most of their fans couldn't give a rat ass about specs.

I dunno.. anyone who gives a crap about specs on a console is wasting their time. IMO

They are all outdated before they even are released. To me if you want to be running things at the bleeding edge, you should be buying a PC and upgrading it constantly.

Its not like xbox, 360, ps2, ps3 are/were ever all that powerful. They are all gimped in some form or another.. Weather it be ram, video ram, etc..

Hell, so many people (including myself) are using our pc's and systems to play games from snes/genesis days... So what does that say?

You wont see many people looking to load up COD 1 to revisit it EVER.. BUt for some reason everyone still finds reasons to go back and play games from the way back. Doubt it has anything to do with how much of a technical marvel they were.. They were just fun.

knarlockk
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Remember how the 3ds was supposed to have 360 and ps3 equivalent graphics?

I remember how when I was playing RE: Revelations, and the game looked more like RE 5 than RE 4. The 3DS was claimed, by developers, to have graphics capabilities somewhere between Wii and Xbox 360. It's already proven that it has.

JonathanD
03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Good thing for them, seems most of their fans couldn't give a rat ass about specs.

I think the real core gamer really doesn't care about specs or brands. I mean I have 2600 games I will play on the Wii once in a while via emulation, I think the entire 2600 rom set is like 3MB's lol (Asteroids is still fun to this day, that and a handful of other games from ye olde 2600.)

I do think the 16 bit era was the golden age of video games though. So much fun it oozed from the machines! So many great games that one could spend a lifetime playing the Genesis and SNES and TG-16 library and never get bored of them.

Agret
03-13-2012, 04:03 AM
I would say it's not a rumour and it is pretty much confirmed. I mean UE3/4 run on mobile phones & tablets so it would be strange if it couldn't run on the Wii. Hell they even have an in-browser version running in Flash Player now. Unreal Engine can scale for the hardware, just cause its on the Wii U doesn't mean it has to be as good as the PS3/360 graphically it can run with limited featureset like the iPhone/iPod

msanchez
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
...You wont see many people looking to load up COD 1 to revisit it EVER.. BUt for some reason everyone still finds reasons to go back and play games from the way back. Doubt it has anything to do with how much of a technical marvel they were.. They were just fun.

I think the real core gamer really doesn't care about specs or brands. I mean I have 2600 games I will play on the Wii once in a while via emulation, I think the entire 2600 rom set is like 3MB's lol (Asteroids is still fun to this day, that and a handful of other games from ye olde 2600.)

I do think the 16 bit era was the golden age of video games though. So much fun it oozed from the machines! So many great games that one could spend a lifetime playing the Genesis and SNES and TG-16 library and never get bored of them.

Can't agree more with you guys on that. Especially that bit about COD :D

I can't say I'm a big fan of the 2600 though, I should be since it was my first ever console, and God only knows I played the crap out of the baseball game... but every time I think about it I can only remember E.T. *SHUDDERS* If only I could go back and shoot myself before I picked up that control.

Anywho, I love how even today I manage to find new SNES/NES/Genesis games to play thanks to the wonderful rom hacking community translating some true gems :)