PDA

View Full Version : Pachter: Wii U won’t be 'as popular as probably Nintendo thinks'

garyopa
03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Another controversial statement from the (in)famous analyst.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000004408/icon_xl.jpg

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has said Nintendo just 'Dreamcast themselves', at his GameTrailers show Pach-Attack.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, has made another controversial statement at his GameTrailers webshow Pach-Attack. He says Wii U won't be “as popular as probably Nintendo thinks” and that the firm has “Dreamcast themselves”.

“The reason that you’re saying that it’s premature, I think you’re really trying to suggest that it’s not going to sell well.

“I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme, then it’s probably not going to sell well unless it’s priced a lot cheaper, and I don’t think they’re launching the console at $150.

“So, yeah I think they are about to Dreamcast themselves. I don’t think Wii U is going to be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks it’s going to be. Question is, what does Nintendo do next, and I don’t know the answer yet. Let’s see how Wii U sells, and I’m not going to predict this demise until I know pricing and features. When I know more about it, I’ll offer a better opinion.”

Well, he's famous for this kind of comments, specially against Nintendo. The question is... how many of his predictions were right?

NEWS SOURCE: Pachter Wii-U won't be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks (via) VG247 (http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/12/pachter-wii-u-wont-be-as-popular-as-probably-nintendo-thinks/)

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for another news story!

JonathanD
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Well Nintendo can pop open the champaign they just won the next generation....

If Pachter says something the exact opposite usually happens.

This guys list of failed predictions is long... Honestly has he ever predicted anything correctly?

Thats a real question if anyone knows an accurate prediction this guy made please post it lol

I guess he could be considered 100% accurate if you take everything he says and flip it over.

Anil8tr
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
His statements sound like double talk to me. One take he is saying, 'you guys don't have the killer tech you think you do'. And then he retracts it and says he doesn't want to write them off just yet because he doesn't know pricing/specs. Make up your mind man.

I know I'm very skeptical of the next gen period. There are way too many things we don't know at the moment, especially what MS and Sony are going to bring to market. I know turning the lighting from light to dark is not going to get me to buy your console Nintendo. I won't write you off because I remember the hours I invested in happy NES, SNES, N64 and NGC gaming. I'll give you that much respect. But, I also am not going to buy into the Wii U hype. You already know the first year Wii U lineup. Mario this and "remake of past titles with Wii U controls implemented" that. You can see these titles coming a mile away with Nintendo since they did the same sh1t with the Wii. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...not happening. These companies are going to have to show me a lot now before I drop my money on their hardware. I'm sick of being disappointed and feeling buyers remorse.

billysastard
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
His statements sound like double talk to me. One take he is saying, 'you guys don't have the killer tech you think you do'. And then he retracts it and says he doesn't want to write them off just yet because he doesn't know pricing/specs. Make up your mind man.

I know I'm very skeptical of the next gen period. There are way too many things we don't know at the moment, especially what MS and Sony are going to bring to market. I know turning the lighting from light to dark is not going to get me to buy your console Nintendo. I won't write you off because I remember the hours I invested in happy NES, SNES, N64 and NGC gaming. I'll give you that much respect. But, I also am not going to buy into the Wii U hype. You already know the first year Wii U lineup. Mario this and "remake of past titles with Wii U controls implemented" that. You can see these titles coming a mile away with Nintendo since they did the same sh1t with the Wii. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...not happening. These companies are going to have to show me a lot now before I drop my money on their hardware. I'm sick of being disappointed and feeling buyers remorse.

i agree with you on what you say, year one will be nothing but hd ports of current ps3 / 360 games and a few nintendo games, the problem comes with simultaneous multi platform releases, for a while (at least) the wii will be the superior platform so at that point do you buy the best version or some lesser version, at present we just dont know if its going to be worth buying but since there is no gabecube (steambox) coming and (at least to me) sony no longer making anything i would buy it only leaves ms and nintendo so i dont have any problem buying both and being able to play almost every game i'm likely to want to play.

JonathanD
03-12-2012, 09:59 PM
i agree with you on what you say, year one will be nothing but hd ports of current ps3 / 360 games and a few nintendo games, the problem comes with simultaneous multi platform releases, for a while (at least) the wii will be the superior platform so at that point do you buy the best version or some lesser version, at present we just dont know if its going to be worth buying but since there is no gabecube (steambox) coming and (at least to me) sony no longer making anything i would buy it only leaves ms and nintendo so i dont have any problem buying both and being able to play almost every game i'm likely to want to play.

I think the Wii-U is going to offer some fresh IP's, I mean look at the launch of the Wii. Out of the three consoles its honestly the only one that really did offer new IP's and no I am not talking about Zelda or Mario. I speak of all the great puzzle games and a metric ton of other obscure games that most people missed because they where paying attention to Halo 3 and COD MW 1,2,3...

I finally found my copy of Kororinpa on the Wii, so rare... Anyway a must play for puzzle game fans and a fantastic example of the types of games most people miss when they think of the Wii's game library.

sotsog
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Who is this guy? Do people actually take him seriously? Everything out of the guys mouth is hilariously retarded.

Retroboy
03-13-2012, 03:07 AM

and after the last gen console ports what remains?? the usual recycleware mario/zelda games, also (if lets say the wii u actually did offer the wide range of games theyve failed to offer in the past) would i consider buying a wii you to play a last gen game that only looks slightly better?? or would i stick with what i already own??

im sure like the last gen it took a year or two for game devs to actually start using the resources of the 360/ps3 instead of releasing HD versions, but i would favour MS's and/or Sonys next systems because after a year or two we will see game devs take gaming even further.

personally i think the wii will do well in japan (nintendo allways do) and maybe the cheap cost would have the same affect in other regions, but i think the iFAD controller is yet again going to be its downfall.

its pointless, the touch screen hasnt benefited what youd class as "innovative" controls for the DS, 90% of games only use the 2nd screen for maps or inventory, which most games these days have quick select via the dpad on a controller.

also i highyl predict that nintendo will get the same kind of games, even more this time round, games based on its touch screen, and then like the wii ends up with more shovelware games.

the only good thing id say about the wii u is the fact if someone wants to watch a different channel or play a different console that you could switch to the iFAD, but personally i dont think it should be forced as its primary controller, it should be optional.

but hey ho im sure many will think i am wrong (even tho they cant walk into a game store for the past years and see that nintendo clearly lacks the great games MS/Sony get) but were entitled to our opninions, i know im not the only one who avoids nintendo for this reason.

DEDDOA
03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Bugger, I was going to wait a year at least to get a Wii-U, if at all, now I need to get one right away as it's going to be king of the hill next gen.

You know I am trying to be fair, I am trying to think of where Patcher has been spot on, and to honest, I can't think of one time he was partially right let alone spot on (ok he does get the console and software names right)

mattias800
03-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Pachter knows the industry better than most, and definitely better than you guys.

tech3475
03-13-2012, 05:16 AM
I think the problem for the console is the casual market, since they were they key reason for the Wii's success.

If they can find another game to entice them and price it reasonably, then there's a chance.

The main problem though may be the ipad and Nintendo sticking to a more conservative model in a sector where consumer expectations have changed (e.g. paying more than a few quid for games).

Pachter knows the industry better than most, and definitely better than you guys.

Well he could at the very least not contradict himself.

billysastard
03-13-2012, 06:22 AM

so why is he almost always wrong?

he may know the industry well, but when it comes to his news blogs he knows far better how to get publicity.

billysastard
03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
and after the last gen console ports what remains?? the usual recycleware mario/zelda games, also (if lets say the wii u actually did offer the wide range of games theyve failed to offer in the past) would i consider buying a wii you to play a last gen game that only looks slightly better?? or would i stick with what i already own??

im sure like the last gen it took a year or two for game devs to actually start using the resources of the 360/ps3 instead of releasing HD versions, but i would favour MS's and/or Sonys next systems because after a year or two we will see game devs take gaming even further.

personally i think the wii will do well in japan (nintendo allways do) and maybe the cheap cost would have the same affect in other regions, but i think the iFAD controller is yet again going to be its downfall.

its pointless, the touch screen hasnt benefited what youd class as "innovative" controls for the DS, 90% of games only use the 2nd screen for maps or inventory, which most games these days have quick select via the dpad on a controller.

also i highyl predict that nintendo will get the same kind of games, even more this time round, games based on its touch screen, and then like the wii ends up with more shovelware games.

the only good thing id say about the wii u is the fact if someone wants to watch a different channel or play a different console that you could switch to the iFAD, but personally i dont think it should be forced as its primary controller, it should be optional.

but hey ho im sure many will think i am wrong (even tho they cant walk into a game store for the past years and see that nintendo clearly lacks the great games MS/Sony get) but were entitled to our opninions, i know im not the only one who avoids nintendo for this reason.

fucking hell, a reasonably well thought out and argued post, congratulations.

in the spirit of that i'll point out that its well known withing the industry that nintendo are going out of their way to get "non-nintendo" games onto the wii u, although they do seem to really be scraping the barrel of old games (all be it goty ones) with things like batman arkham asylum (i mean seriously who will want to rebuy that since its still on most gamers shelves).

that said, so many people who are actually involved in game development seem to think that the wii u has a good future be it mark rein from epic who says that we'll be "shocked" at how good it is to leaks (from ubisoft btw) recently posted on here.

of course the huge fly in the ointment here is how nintendo are going to handle their online and download content policies, if they force their in house policy of not allowing dlc except as additions to an otherwise complete game (so no map packs, weapons, etc, just add ons like undead nightmare or episodes from vice city) then that will scare away the likes of ea and activision wheras if they allow a dlc free for all it may attract the greedy publishers but might scare off their more loyal fans, after all, why buy aslightly inferior version of a new game compared to the ps4 or xbox fusion version at the same price if you are still going to get reamed with dlc charges, its a fine line which could make or break how successful the wii u will be.

mattias800
03-13-2012, 07:52 AM
so why is he almost always wrong?

It's simple. He isn't.

If you had followed him throughout the years, you'd know that he gives the listeners/readers a LOT of opinions, he gives detailed explanations of how people and corporations work, explains what incentives are at work, how market reacts, etc, etc.

People ask him to draw conclusions based on his knowledge (Pach Attack is based on this concept).

Now, these conclusions can't always be right. He isn't all-knowing and he doesn't claim to be (some people make it seem like thats the case).
These conclusions are mostly a fun guessing game. Most of what he says isn't predictions, which is the answer to your question, after correcting it.

DEDDOA
03-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Maybe so, but he has seeminly no idea how to analyse that info and make reasonably accurate predictions, which is his job, he doesn't even try to cold read it and make vague all encompassing claims that could be read in diffrent ways, he just plain gets it wrong, no abiguity, just wrong which is why everyone says to go for the opposite of what he claims as it's more often than not, spot on.

Also a fun guessing game isn't somthing worth mentioning, so essentially what you say is all these fun guessing games are not claims or predictions, so have absolutely no relevance and therefore what he says has no credibility and it doesn't matter how well he knows the industry as his "fun little guessing games" have as much credibility as anyone elses, so therfore invalidating your original claim as a basis for not being critical of him.

mattias800
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Maybe so, but he has seeminly no idea how to analyse that info and make reasonably accurate predictions, which is his job, he doesn't even try to cold read it and make vague all encompassing claims that could be read in diffrent ways, he just plain gets it wrong, no abiguity, just wrong which is why everyone says to go for the opposite of what he claims as it's more often than not, spot on.

Also a fun guessing game isn't somthing worth mentioning, so essentially what you say is all these fun guessing games are not claims or predictions, so have absolutely no relevance and therefore what he says has no credibility and it doesn't matter how well he knows the industry as his "fun little guessing games" have as much credibility as anyone elses, so therfore invalidating your original claim as a basis for not being critical of him.

Ok, lets see here.
First of all, give me examples. I see lots of people in different forums bashing him, but i rarely see any examples. Pachter himself gives a couple of examples on request though, like Borderlands sales, he got that wrong. Wii HD, he got that wrong by a couple of years.

Give me those examples, and then we'll see if those examples can be considered part of his job.

Words like "claims" probably should be used in this context. Just to take one example, ee didn't CLAIM that Wii HD was gonna be released. And ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE, well, relevance enough for Reggie to comment on it. And eventually being right. No credibility, if he had that, he wouldn't have his job, he wouldn't have Pach Attack, and he wouldn't get invited to the Bonus Round.

Now give me those examples.

DEDDOA
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Remember when Microsoft doubled the price of Xbox Live? Did you play Grand Theft Auto V when it came out in 2010? Were you pleased that Kinect launched at $50? Are you happy that the console wars have finally ended?

just a few of the completely way off claims, there are many more if you bother to look or have actually read most of his claims that crop up. Why do you think so many instantly consider his "fun little guessing games" are way off the mark each time, it's not from just assuming it with nothing to base it on, it's from his track record on the subject. Don't get me wrong if he was making claims based on a mixed record (and by that I don't man blindingly obvious ones like GTA4 would sell well) or even one where his claims were reasonably acurate then fair enough he would get the benefit of the doubt form me at least, but the fact that the usual response when you read the usual "Patcher says..." is based purely on his track record, nothing else, not some inate dislike for the guy (he may be a great guy for all I know) it's just experience. If one or 2 people were making the claim that he is usuall wrong then fair enough again, but it's not, he is wrong frequently enough that the majority tend to notice.

p1nky
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
The guy may be wrong with a lot of things but I think and I wish Nintendo will fail big time.

First all of their pretty little casual gamers now have an iPhone or iPad or something similar where they can play teir casual games for a fraction of the price. The motion gaming bubble has burst and a touch screen controller... good luck with that, see the beginning of the sentence, people do have iPhones already.

Second I simply do not believe that you can pull it off twice releasing an ancient piece of trash hardware for a way too high price, then call it cheap and innovative.
And make no mistake, the Wii U has GFX that are comparable to a 2008 PC at best, so at release it will be 4-5 years outdated already (ok the Wii was probably outdated 7-8 years when it was released, so we are making progress here).

Third the games will 99% be like on the 360 and the PS3, there is no more motion gaming advantage as Sony and MS can do that too by now (although useless imho but whatever), and it's unlikely the Wii U will be less expensive than a 360 or a PS3. And then when Xbox 3 / PS4 come out they are again locked in to last gen technology.

The only thing they are good for is forcing MS and Sony out of their holes to finally end this unholy, uselessly long console cycle, that has ended up with motion crap and consoles that are almost 10 years outdated compared to a PC (or in case of the Wii 15-20 years outdated). And for this I thank them, but really I hope they don't start a new trend again with this console that sets aus back even further. I want good games on good hardware, not casual motion crap on stoneage hardware.

IJTF_Cinder
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
It's simple. He isn't.

If you had followed him throughout the years, you'd know that he gives the listeners/readers a LOT of opinions, he gives detailed explanations of how people and corporations work, explains what incentives are at work, how market reacts, etc, etc.

People ask him to draw conclusions based on his knowledge (Pach Attack is based on this concept).

Now, these conclusions can't always be right. He isn't all-knowing and he doesn't claim to be (some people make it seem like thats the case).
These conclusions are mostly a fun guessing game. Most of what he says isn't predictions, which is the answer to your question, after correcting it.

He's an Analyst, Anylsts get paid to make market predictions and trend predictions, so in what he has done so far...he'd be out of a job anywhere else. You think a Stock Market Analyst would be allowed such margins for failure as he's produced? LIKE F**K!

The only thing he's done, is show that you're very much incorrect, and that his position affords him the ability to be paid like a weatherman is....for being wrong more than he is right.

JonathanD
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM

So not sure how he could be any better then us, I mean I could randomly throw darts at a list of possible outcomes and statistically speaking I would out perform Mr Pachter's predictions. Even the law of averages says he should have randomly guessed something correctly by now.

In the industry he is known for his outlandish claims and thats his bread and butter. If he didn't say stupid stuff all the time no one would pay attention to him. So I suspect its a little bit of a show. Maybe he does know more then he lets on and just plays stupid to get hits on his blog or what ever...

We could go over his claims of the past, but everyone already knows the guy is never ever right... Thats his whole shtick, the ironic part that you some how believe he is correct this one time is laughable are you honestly saying you agree with Pachter?

Not exactly the kind of record I would pin my name too but what ever floats your boat.

Captain N1
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
The guy may be wrong with a lot of things but I think and I wish Nintendo will fail big time.

First all of their pretty little casual gamers now have an iPhone or iPad or something similar where they can play teir casual games for a fraction of the price. The motion gaming bubble has burst and a touch screen controller... good luck with that, see the beginning of the sentence, people do have iPhones already.

Second I simply do not believe that you can pull it off twice releasing an ancient piece of trash hardware for a way too high price, then call it cheap and innovative.
And make no mistake, the Wii U has GFX that are comparable to a 2008 PC at best, so at release it will be 4-5 years outdated already (ok the Wii was probably outdated 7-8 years when it was released, so we are making progress here).

Third the games will 99% be like on the 360 and the PS3, there is no more motion gaming advantage as Sony and MS can do that too by now (although useless imho but whatever), and it's unlikely the Wii U will be less expensive than a 360 or a PS3. And then when Xbox 3 / PS4 come out they are again locked in to last gen technology.

The only thing they are good for is forcing MS and Sony out of their holes to finally end this unholy, uselessly long console cycle, that has ended up with motion crap and consoles that are almost 10 years outdated compared to a PC (or in case of the Wii 15-20 years outdated). And for this I thank them, but really I hope they don't start a new trend again with this console that sets aus back even further. I want good games on good hardware, not casual motion crap on stoneage hardware.

i Lulz. I want you to make a game console with a i9 16 core cpu, 32 gigs of ram a nvidia 885 gpu wiht 8 gigs of ram and sell it for $399.

There is a reason game consoles are not as powerful as the latest PC. a pc may have better hardware but a game developed on a game console can be utilized for the hardware its developed for. and a game developed for a game console always works. no need to purchase new hardware every 2 years.

Lets take a wii game like say xenoblade or other M. Develop it for a pc and see how well it runs with 86megs of ram and 64mb of video ram. yeah those are wii specs. and im not talking about emulation. have the game remade from ground up with 100% x86 code. tell me that the game will run perfect with 2001-3 pc hardware.

take cyrsis 2 on xbox360, how powerful of a cpu do you need in a pc to run the game. here ill tell you... it says a dual core 2.0ghz cpu, 2 gigs (3 for vista) of ram and atleast 8800gt 512mb video ram. run the game with 2005 pc hardware and see how well it runs. see if you can get it to run at hd with aa on on that hardware. a typical 2005 pc had a intel Pentium 4 3.4 HT or a Pentium d with 512- 1 gig of ram maybe a nvidia 7800GT. yeah get cyrsis 2 to run on that with same or better graphics then xbox360.
and post a video of a comparison

My point is this, console games can achieve similar performance with lower powered hardware do in part to hardware utilization. Its hard to utilize pc hardware as there is many different chip sets and designs. To make a console whit uber hardware would cost to much.

Retroboy
03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
who really cares if what this guy comes true or not??

end of the day the nintendo fans will love the wii u no matter what, those like me thinks its not bad but its only downside is the fact nintendo's last two systems lacked the kinda games that xbox and playstation was getting and come end of the console life your left with a small handfull of games thats worth keeping.

i can predict that the wii u will have mario/zelda games like allways recycled ware, it will still get the lame shovel ware games the wii had, it will have more games aimed for children and its highly predictible that we will see lame ipad kinda games coming to nintendos (copied idea) iFAD.

only good thing i think of the wii like ive said is the option to run the game from the screen, but to have it as a primary controller is going to be a problem for me, i prefare normal control pads, easy, small, comfier to use, this is why i couldnt be ar5ed with the wiimote, innacurate (estimates) dont even need to do the actions to play the game, also made most games harder to play than it would using a normal pad.

but give it a year or two, if by some magic nintendo can prove me wrong and actually offer the type of games i want to play (multi platform and exclusives) then i will buy one, but not untill then, im not buying another paper weight to collect dust.

DEDDOA
03-14-2012, 03:22 AM
i Lulz. I want you to make a game console with a i9 16 core cpu, 32 gigs of ram a nvidia 885 gpu wiht 8 gigs of ram and sell it for $399.

There is a reason game consoles are not as powerful as the latest PC. a pc may have better hardware but a game developed on a game console can be utilized for the hardware its developed for. and a game developed for a game console always works. no need to purchase new hardware every 2 years.

Lets take a wii game like say xenoblade or other M. Develop it for a pc and see how well it runs with 86megs of ram and 64mb of video ram. yeah those are wii specs. and im not talking about emulation. have the game remade from ground up with 100% x86 code. tell me that the game will run perfect with 2001-3 pc hardware.

take cyrsis 2 on xbox360, how powerful of a cpu do you need in a pc to run the game. here ill tell you... it says a dual core 2.0ghz cpu, 2 gigs (3 for vista) of ram and atleast 8800gt 512mb video ram. run the game with 2005 pc hardware and see how well it runs. see if you can get it to run at hd with aa on on that hardware. a typical 2005 pc had a intel Pentium 4 3.4 HT or a Pentium d with 512- 1 gig of ram maybe a nvidia 7800GT. yeah get cyrsis 2 to run on that with same or better graphics then xbox360.
and post a video of a comparison

My point is this, console games can achieve similar performance with lower powered hardware do in part to hardware utilization. Its hard to utilize pc hardware as there is many different chip sets and designs. To make a console whit uber hardware would cost to much.

I agree, console hqardware is always fully utilised wheras PC hardware rarely if ever is, that said onthe crysis front, my old P4 3GHZ HT with a radeon 3870 (which is the gpu the 360 is closest to, well the 3000 series anyway) would run crysis a fair bit better than the 360, and to be fair, the 360 version does look like the PC version in DX9 at the lowest detail settings. Even my ageing ASUS G2S laptop (best part of 5 years old but still as good as most laptops inthe £5-600 range, now thats value for money) which is a 2.4GHZ dual core with a 256MB geforce 8600m runs better than the 360 version. Unless it's a poorly coded version, the PC versions, thanks to such old hardware in the consoles being the main target for sales, do tend to run well on old hardware that in previous gens would have been running games as a slideshow, deadspace 1 and 2 is a good example, it can run at max detail on hardware fromt he 360 launch and do it silky smooth (was even almost playable on my C50 based netbook). I do fully understand what you are saying tho a console can do far more thana PC with far far less

DEDDOA
03-14-2012, 03:37 AM
who really cares if what this guy comes true or not??

end of the day the nintendo fans will love the wii u no matter what, those like me thinks its not bad but its only downside is the fact nintendo's last two systems lacked the kinda games that xbox and playstation was getting and come end of the console life your left with a small handfull of games thats worth keeping.

i can predict that the wii u will have mario/zelda games like allways recycled ware, it will still get the lame shovel ware games the wii had, it will have more games aimed for children and its highly predictible that we will see lame ipad kinda games coming to nintendos (copied idea) iFAD.

only good thing i think of the wii like ive said is the option to run the game from the screen, but to have it as a primary controller is going to be a problem for me, i prefare normal control pads, easy, small, comfier to use, this is why i couldnt be ar5ed with the wiimote, innacurate (estimates) dont even need to do the actions to play the game, also made most games harder to play than it would using a normal pad.

but give it a year or two, if by some magic nintendo can prove me wrong and actually offer the type of games i want to play (multi platform and exclusives) then i will buy one, but not untill then, im not buying another paper weight to collect dust.

I havn't put my wii together let alone plugged it in and used it in best part of 2 years, but I can see that you miss the point, the wii appealed to the mass market and not the GFX whores, it is easy to use and has games that anyone can play, not to mention they are not bedroom hermit games. And yes mario and zelda will be on the Wii U in big numbers simply because they are popular, do you think Nintendo would really make so many of those games if noone wnated them, or that they would get so many complaints from other publishers because they more often than not can't beat nintendo on sales. hardcore gamers are still a niche market, the like so the wii and kinect and even the god aweful ifarse range are what attract non gamers and keep the industry affloat. The industry is well aware of this and that is why they are all so keen to get the non gamers on board. Throw in the lower price (lets face it 6 years on and the PS3 especially hasn't even gone as low as the Wii launch price RRP), non gamers are more willing to buy somthing that is fun and cheaper than somthing that is expensive and technically offputting to them, and there is no suprises that the wii did well. I am not a fan of most f the game sbut the kids games line is just thrown around by those who only rate a game based on GFX, they are meant o be appealing to everyone, how the game plays is what counts and thats where nintendo usually come up trumps, it's your loss if you can't see past the cutesy gfx. Expect next gen to be nothing more than a Nintendo chase from MS and Sony, as they have already started their plan to mimic nintendo.

Retroboy
03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
just my basic point is, that MS/Sony offer games like nintendo aimed for children but they also offer mature games which id play but then also offer adult games.

graphics arent everything i agree, its the game thats fun, at the moment im loving MGS HD collection, this could have been something good if nintendo paid a little extra and offered HD support on the Wii, instead of been a system not designed for years to come.

on my tv the wii looks terrible, plus the wiimote is a down factor for me, i simply do not want to play evergame with a motion controller, but having the option to do so now n then is ok like kinect (which i must say beats all 3 systesm for motion controll hands down, but is something i wouldnt buy)

but maybe the wii u has more power, but would it have the games? will it be able to keep up with the other 2 systems, as it proves that 360/ps3 games manage to sell hell of a lot more in a few days/weeks than nintendo do over years (even tho nintendo bundle mario/zelda with a system).

end of the day im in it for the games, if a system constantly offers the same kind of games year after year i simply will not play it, i love the 360/ps3 because it allways offers more great games each year (HD+Better Grfx is just a bonus).

billysastard
03-14-2012, 07:23 AM
just my basic point is, that MS/Sony offer games like nintendo aimed for children but they also offer mature games which id play but then also offer adult games.

graphics arent everything i agree, its the game thats fun, at the moment im loving MGS HD collection, this could have been something good if nintendo paid a little extra and offered HD support on the Wii, instead of been a system not designed for years to come.

on my tv the wii looks terrible, plus the wiimote is a down factor for me, i simply do not want to play evergame with a motion controller, but having the option to do so now n then is ok like kinect (which i must say beats all 3 systesm for motion controll hands down, but is something i wouldnt buy)

but maybe the wii u has more power, but would it have the games? will it be able to keep up with the other 2 systems, as it proves that 360/ps3 games manage to sell hell of a lot more in a few days/weeks than nintendo do over years (even tho nintendo bundle mario/zelda with a system).

end of the day im in it for the games, if a system constantly offers the same kind of games year after year i simply will not play it, i love the 360/ps3 because it allways offers more great games each year (HD+Better Grfx is just a bonus).

not taking the piss but wht tv are you using that makes the wii look so bad? i know many games look bad on any tv but most of the decent ones look fine, in fact on tv's under 24" you can at least read the text something that sometimes hard to do with text on the ps3 / 360 even on larger screens oh and you do know you can buy an hdmi upscaler for the wii dont you which whilst not perfect does pretty much the same job that the xbox and ps3 do internally often with assets that are not much higher resolution to start with.

in answer to your question "will it get the games" the answer is yes, it will, like it or not. all next gen systems are going to offer motion controls and very similar specs (1080p/60fps) so assets can be shared easily, its been noted that only around 4 lines of code are required to make use of the tablet so nothing like having to rewrite all the assets for scale. gaming companies like profit so unless wii u completely tanks they will be making every multi platform title across all 3 systems this time round so honestly that is not something to be concerned about, although of course if it destroys the competition like the wii / ps2 / psx than it will get all the shovelware crap too just like they did.

wewii
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Patcher is always the best indicator of what is going to happen in the video game industry..... on opposite day. lol

Retroboy
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
not taking the piss but wht tv are you using that makes the wii look so bad? i know many games look bad on any tv but most of the decent ones look fine, in fact on tv's under 24" you can at least read the text something that sometimes hard to do with text on the ps3 / 360 even on larger screens oh and you do know you can buy an hdmi upscaler for the wii dont you which whilst not perfect does pretty much the same job that the xbox and ps3 do internally often with assets that are not much higher resolution to start with.

in answer to your question "will it get the games" the answer is yes, it will, like it or not. all next gen systems are going to offer motion controls and very similar specs (1080p/60fps) so assets can be shared easily, its been noted that only around 4 lines of code are required to make use of the tablet so nothing like having to rewrite all the assets for scale. gaming companies like profit so unless wii u completely tanks they will be making every multi platform title across all 3 systems this time round so honestly that is not something to be concerned about, although of course if it destroys the competition like the wii / ps2 / psx than it will get all the shovelware crap too just like they did.

i suggest playing a wii on a 66inch TV it looks terrible. if your finding text hard to read on 360/ps3 games WTF lol sure at launch some games had this issue but its been many many years since ive noticed this.

ohh a sh1tty upscaller that really dont do much other than makes it a little sharper, and is in no way close to the 360/ps3, as you claim for the VITA, if its not HD it cant be classed as HD, hmm yet come the wii its its somehwhat HD even tho it actually isnt lol how contradictin is this pmsl.

lol love the THIS TIME ROUND?? what like nintendo claimed theyd correct the downfall of the GC, making out this innovative controller will push to better games, yet it again had the same problems as the GC, and nintendo are doing the same again a iFAD controller which devs will simply do the same again fast quick shovelware games, cheap to make yet make easy money.

destroy competition, the PS2 had far more and better games than the wii, unlike nintendo SONY and MS offer games for every type of gamer, unlike nintendo they simply fail to offer the games i like to play that SONY/MS provide.

this is why i will not buy the next system unless they can prove to offer more than a handfull of games.

JonathanD
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Bugger, I was going to wait a year at least to get a Wii-U, if at all, now I need to get one right away as it's going to be king of the hill next gen.

You know I am trying to be fair, I am trying to think of where Patcher has been spot on, and to honest, I can't think of one time he was partially right let alone spot on (ok he does get the console and software names right)

I am going to pick up a Wii-U at launch, just looks like its going to be a pile of fun for me.

Now if some one hacks the Wii-U I should be in heaven, it should in theory be able to do some fantastic emulation... Maybe even PS2, but I won't hold my breath since even on my PC thats still far from perfect (Some games work awesome and some games make me want to cry.)

JonathanD
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM

I always laugh when people say "Oh its loaded with Shovelware" like the PS1 and PS2 didn't have metric tons of it. It comes from being in first place. The price of success is that when some poor company only has enough money to develop Monster Carrot Attack on Planet Broccoli for one console they are 100% going to pick the system with the largest install base.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out.

Retroboy
03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
sure ps1/ps2 had its fair share of cr@p games, but nowhere near the ammount that nintendo get, which is obviously the reason the Playstation brand became so popular and that the PSX was played more than the N64, that the PS2 again was more popular than the GC.

even take the PS3, sure like the 360 it was a slow start, but unlike nintendo the sales figures are still going up and up, unlike nintendo the Wii was off to a super fast start then after a few years starts declining, then they have to release another system.

but sony and ms youll find even if/when they release its next gen, its likely (if ms support it this time) that its last gen systems will still keep going for a few more years to come, just like the PS2 did and the PSX, at least sony dong end a console just because it has a new one out like nintendo did and ms (but ms had some BS story to why which hopefully wont happen with the 360)

MS and PS has allways had more better games, a wider genra to choose from.

billysastard
03-15-2012, 08:49 AM
MS and PS has allways had more better games, a wider genra to choose from.

sorry but neith ms or sony have had the breadth of choice the wii wii has offered and whilst the n6 and gc didnt exactly set the world alight in sales they both stil managed to be the host platform to some of the best games of their generation, especially the n64 with titles like goldeneye, mario 64, oot, blastcorps and the rest, nowhere near as many as on the psx obviously but still some of the best.

Retroboy
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
sorry but neith ms or sony have had the breadth of choice the wii wii has offered and whilst the n6 and gc didnt exactly set the world alight in sales they both stil managed to be the host platform to some of the best games of their generation, especially the n64 with titles like goldeneye, mario 64, oot, blastcorps and the rest, nowhere near as many as on the psx obviously but still some of the best.

lol ok your so full of it, lets not remind that even nintendo themselves admitted the GC lacked the 3rd party games that MS and SONY was getting.

i dont get how you can even claim that MS nor SONY offered games for all genreas when you can simply see kids games such as ben 10, you can see mature kids games such as batman and you can see adult games such as la niore.

which you do not see on a nintendo console.

every game store i walk into you see the same type of games for nintendo, aimed mainly for children, you magically name only 3 of the n64s best games and yes on the n64 theres a couple more great games i liked playing.... but back then i wasnt a adult and this is the simple point im making, nintendo do not offer games for adults, sure if a 30 year old wants to buy a console to only play mario and other kid games sure.

but this is the point the PS and XBOX consoles has allways had better 3rd party and exclusive games, 3rd parties tend to just release quick shovelware games and all you get off nintendo is zelda, mario, mario kart all the f in time aka recyleware games.