PDA

View Full Version : New iPad can't recharge under heavy loads

garyopa
03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Several reports of the issue all around

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000005145/icon_xl.jpg

It appears that the new iPad can't be recharged when the CPU-GPU are under heavy use.

A couple of days ago, we were reporting about the new iPad getting warmer (http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?function=detail&id=RKLS0000004893&cat=IOS) than the previous model.

Now, we have another different story. Some reports al around the Internet are indicating that the new iPad is not recharging itself properly when the CPU-GPU is under heavy usage, like playing Infinity Blade II game.

According to Consumerreports:

We also noticed that the new iPad wasn't charging while the game was running and it was plugged in. In fact, the battery continued to drain. It charged normally, however, when we weren't running a game.

It appears that the problem is the 11W AC Adaptor (the same than came with the original iPad and iPad 2) not providing all the juice the new tablet needs to recharge when 70% larger battery is draining out.

If the claims are true and is not a firmware bug, we expect a "Exchange iPad adaptor program" from Apple soon.

NEWS SOURCE: http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/03/our-test-finds-new-ipad-hits-116-degrees-while-running-games.html

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for another iPad epicfail story!

Cloudkill
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Neither can laptops under heavy loads it's stands to reason that the more you are doing will require more power, I don't see why this is such a big deal tbh?

msanchez
03-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Neither can laptops under heavy loads it's stands to reason that the more you are doing will require more power, I don't see why this is such a big deal tbh?

Well I suppose if you connect a monitor to your laptop, and play a game in one screen, and edit a large video file in the other at the same time the laptop would have trouble charging... that said, I've never seen a laptop not charge from playing a video game on it.

garyopa
03-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Well I suppose if you connect a monitor to your laptop, and play a game in one screen, and edit a large video file in the other at the same time the laptop would have trouble charging... that said, I've never seen a laptop not charge from playing a video game on it.

Laptop's always charge. -- I have an Dual-Core Toshiba, and have both a monitor connected and use the 17" LCD screen, and have two external USB drives running from it, and usb 4 way port, and usb printer, and my android tablet plugged in charging, and pair of 12volt fans as cooling pad added, and with both cores running at almost 100%, and when i plugin my AC adapter it will recharge the battery in no time at all.

Of course the reason for that is the battery is no longer being used on laptop the moment the ac adapter is plugged in, the ac adapter runs the system and charges the battery, two circuits, of course it is much stronger power pack.

The new ipad seems to be the like my Samsung Galaxy Tab, it will not charge if on and plugged into the USB port from a computer, it will just stay at the same level does not go down just keeps the charge level, you have to use an special 2amp wall charger to be able to re-charge the device.

msanchez
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I figured that was the case with the a/c adapters, but since I wasn't sure I gave the posibility of it happen the benefit of the doubt, but as I said I've never seen a laptop not charge while connected to it's charger, and I've had similar setups to what you have sans the cooling fans, and replace the tablet for another external hdd (it was fun trying to consolidate files into my backup hdds).

Kindle fires are like that (Galaxy Tab) as well; thoug it seems they will charge if the tablet is completely off. To be honest I think it's ubber annoying to not be able to charge these things off a USB port.