PDA

View Full Version : 50% of all US homes own an Apple device according to a survey

garyopa
04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
A survey conducted by CNBC.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000005692/icon_xl.jpg

Half of all US households, own an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac.The average US household has 1.6 Apple products.

According to a CNBC's All-America Economic survey, 50% all US households, which is more than 55 million homes, own an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac, and the average household has 1.6 Apple products.

But Apple doesn’t have to worry about brand saturation any time soon. Americans don’t stop with just one device. Homes that own least one Apple, own an average of three. Overall, the average household has 1.6 Apple devices, with almost one-quarter planning to buy at least one more in the next year.

“It's a fantastic business model — the more of our products you own, the more likely you are to buy more,” says Jay Campbell, a vice president of Hart Research Associates, which conducts the CNBC survey along with Bill McInturff. “Planned obsolescence has always been a part of the technology industries sales model, but Apple has taken it to a whole new level.”

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/__Story_Inserts/graphics/__CHARTS_SPECIAL/ALL_AMERICAN_SURVEY/how-many-apple-products.gif

According to them, Apple buyers are usually male, college-educated, and younger.

They’re just as likely to own a home as not. Not surprisingly, the more money you earn, the more Apple products you’re likely to own.

Just 28 percent of those making less than $30,000 a year own at least one, compared with 77 percent of those making more than $75,000. Those on the higher end of the income scale own an average of about three Apple devices, compared with 0.6 for lower-income homes.

And apparently, a lot of them are parents:

It seems parents either want their kids to keep up with technology, or they’re trying to keep them busy. Sixty-one percent of households with children own Apple devices, compared with 48 percent of homes without kids.

CNBC polled 836 Americans over the phone from March 19 to 22, and says its results have a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percent.

Is this so called Apple effect/phenomenon ever going to end?

OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.cnbc.com/id/46857053

NEWS SOURCE: 50 of all US homes own an Apple device survey (via) CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341860/50-of-all-us-homes-own-an-apple-device-survey/)

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

Anil8tr
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
My household:

MP3 Player: 120GB Zune ($100 cheaper than the high end iTouch)

Surf the internet: PC/Laptop--no need for an iPad or iTouch/iPhone

Gaming: Consoles/PC/Laptop--nothing more needs to be said.

Turn on/off my lights: I use the fuck1ng light switch! Are you kidding me? We need an app for lazy people to turn on and off their lights? That's not clever or neat. If Apple wants to create something clever and neat, they need to create a work environment where their workers don't want to kill themselves turning out the next iproduct.

JonathanD
04-02-2012, 03:57 PM
My household:

MP3 Player: 120GB Zune ($100 cheaper than the high end iTouch)

Surf the internet: PC/Laptop--no need for an iPad or iTouch/iPhone

Gaming: Consoles/PC/Laptop--nothing more needs to be said.

Turn on/off my lights: I use the fuck1ng light switch! Are you kidding me? We need an app for lazy people to turn on and off their lights? That's not clever or neat. If Apple wants to create something clever and neat, they need to create a work environment where their workers don't want to kill themselves turning out the next iproduct.

I went with the 120GB iPod Classic.... should have went with the Zune....

Tell me how is it? I mean, how can one describe the mess that is iTunes?

I guess what I am asking is, on the Zune do you get to put your music in folders or organize it how you want it and not how the software dictates you do it...

Anil8tr
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I went with the 120GB iPod Classic.... should have went with the Zune....

Tell me how is it? I mean, how can one describe the mess that is iTunes?

I guess what I am asking is, on the Zune do you get to put your music in folders or organize it how you want it and not how the software dictates you do it...

I keep master copies of all my mp3s on an external hard drive (most ripped by me as I've only purchased a few from the Marketplace). I have my Zune sync to that hard drive whenever I add to the library. It can be displayed by "Album" and "Artist" on the Zune itself. I don't know off the top of my head if you can make custom folders on your Zune or not as I've never tried.

I really like the interface with the Zune software over iTunes (haven't used iTunes in several years). It is a lot better looking than plain jane iTunes in my opinion. You can use the Zune software as a media player to play your mp3s/watch videos as well. If you let the software sit idle and play your music, it will reach out to the internet and get pics of the bands being played and does a slideshow type deal until you move the mouse/hit a key. Your library will be displayed in the Zune software and you can pick those you want to sync to your Zune or a right-click option will allow it to never be seen again in the Zune software but remain in your library. Navigation through the menus is painless.

When I got the Zune a few years ago, it was the cheapest for the size of the storage. Too bad MS dropped support for it. It's built like a tank. I've seen them still advertised on Amazon. They just aren't produced anymore by MS. Not sure about the HD version's interface with the software. I thought they were a bit too pricey for only offering 64GB. So, I never got one.