PDA

View Full Version : Wii U release date leaked by Japanese retailer?

garyopa
04-03-2012, 09:35 AM
US gets it one week before Japan.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000005909/icon_xl.jpg

According to website 'WiiUDaily', Wii U launches in the US on Sunday 18th November and a bit later in Japan. No word about the European launch date.

According to an e-mail WiiUDaily obtained from a Japanese retailer, Nintendo next generation console is launching on Sunday 18th November in the US and a week later in Japan. No word about the European release date:

Nintendo has set a Wii U launch date, according to a email WiiUDaily has obtained from a Japanese retailer. The Wii U launch date is pegged to Sunday, November 18, 2012 for North America, and one week later for Japan. The Wii originally launched on November 19, 2006, which also happened to be a Sunday. There was no word on the European Wii U launch date.

The report comes from an internal email obtained by WiiUDaily. The email circulated among staff at a game store in Japan, the Akihabara-based Media Land, one of the most popular video game shops in Tokyo. Nintendo previously confirmed that the Wii U launch would happen in Fall 2012, but no specifics were revealed. November is the most important month when it comes to gaming releases almost all major consoles over the past 10 years have been released during that time, and likewise when it comes to big titles.

Yes, it makes sense, considering the original Wii launched in the US on 19th November 2006, also a Sunday. Japanese gamers got it a couple of weeks later, and Europe three weeks later. It could still change, but most likely it will stuck to this date...

An official announcement is expected at this year E3.

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/04/wii-u-launch-date-set-for-november-18-2012-report/
NEWS SOURCE #2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-02-wii-u-release-date-leaked-by-japanese-retailer-report

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

IJTF_Cinder
04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
So I should be buying 3, and hoarding them for sale on Craigslist around Xmas for hundreds more?

Seriously Nintendo, did we learn nothing last time with stock shortages? Hopefully they did, and have more actually READY for launch.

Retroboy
04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
So I should be buying 3, and hoarding them for sale on Craigslist around Xmas for hundreds more?

Seriously Nintendo, did we learn nothing last time with stock shortages? Hopefully they did, and have more actually READY for launch.

your kidding right?? nintendo did this on purpose with the Wii, making sure they never made enough to stock the retailers making those that wanted it even more desprate.

its highly likely nintendo will do the same again.

Anil8tr
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
your kidding right?? nintendo did this on purpose with the Wii, making sure they never made enough to stock the retailers making those that wanted it even more desprate.

its highly likely nintendo will do the same again.

All three did this last time. Supply NEVER met demand until months into the gen. I agree Nintendo will use this same tactic next round. And so will Sony and MS. A predictable history will repeat itself. Especially with the rumor of the Sony/MS consoles being pushed out to the public during Christmas of 2013. I see MC headlines now in 2013. "MS/Sony next gen consoles a success--sold out everywhere" when only 20 or so units were actually shipped to major stores. Ma & Pa stores get 1-2. Yes, a resounding success...

Retroboy
04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
All three did this last time. Supply NEVER met demand until months into the gen. I agree Nintendo will use this same tactic next round. And so will Sony and MS. A predictable history will repeat itself. Especially with the rumor of the Sony/MS consoles being pushed out to the public during Christmas of 2013. I see MC headlines now in 2013. "MS/Sony next gen consoles a success--sold out everywhere" when only 20 or so units were actually shipped to major stores. Ma & Pa stores get 1-2. Yes, a resounding success...

thing is MS did a pretty good job with the 360 and so did sony neither two systems took as long as nintendo to finaly start shipping enough systems out, sure every new console is bound to sell out but the time it took nintendo really took the p1ss, it was clear nintendo was doing this deliberately.

but aswell its more likely that the next SONY/MS console to ship less due to the fact the systesm arent a revamp last gen console and costs more to produce and more for the retailers to buy the stock as it would the wii, which was another point that amazed me.

Anil8tr
04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
thing is MS did a pretty good job with the 360 and so did sony neither two systems took as long as nintendo to finaly start shipping enough systems out, sure every new console is bound to sell out but the time it took nintendo really took the p1ss, it was clear nintendo was doing this deliberately.

but aswell its more likely that the next SONY/MS console to ship less due to the fact the systesm arent a revamp last gen console and costs more to produce and more for the retailers to buy the stock as it would the wii, which was another point that amazed me.

The day I got my 360 at Best Buy (Jan '06), the next 4 people in line were buying a 360. That was it. They were sold out. I don't live in the sticks either. I'm in a decent size city. I can even deal with them releasing last as long as their hardware is stable and avoid the fiasco of this gen. Yes they offered the warranty for RRoD and it helped. But, avoiding the issue next gen period would be best.

I didn't see a Wii in a store until I was deployed to Afghanistan in '07. I saw 7 of them in a PX made of cardboard about the size of a 7/11.

Here is what I bet all three are thinking. All in all, this gen has been good to gamers. All three console makers have their products in millions of households across the world. Many millions more with owning more than one brand. If they ship tons of their product to locations around the world, how many people are going to rush out to pick up that next gen console at a time when the world is having economic issues and this gen is still fairly strong. MS, Sony and Nintendo know this gen has been going on for a long time. There is anticipation for all three to bring their next efforts forward. Whether this is them creating their own hype or it is justified is not relevant. The question they will likely ask is who is really ready to commit to leaving this one gen to move on to the next. They have to figure that out, not us. I'd say they'll repeat what happened last time and be reactive instead of proactive based off supply/demand issues that arise. It's free advertising when there are shortfalls. You can't put a price on making demand skyrocket like that.

billysastard
04-03-2012, 11:33 AM

i cant see that this time around.

with the wii u having a years start there will most likely be plenty of stock in stores by the time the ps4 / 720 launch and withholding stock by sony or ms will only help nintendo and whichever of them doesn't short stock its console. whilst nintendo could get away with it xmas 2012 by xmas 2013 it would be a very foolish company who would risk it and be seen as the last placed console for the next 12 months.

Retroboy
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
i cant see that this time around.

with the wii u having a years start there will most likely be plenty of stock in stores by the time the ps4 / 720 launch and withholding stock by sony or ms will only help nintendo and whichever of them doesn't short stock its console. whilst nintendo could get away with it xmas 2012 by xmas 2013 it would be a very foolish company who would risk it and be seen as the last placed console for the next 12 months.

cant see it this time round what because they have a year head start, when they did this with the wii, nintendo did it to keep its high demand going for aslong as possible, when people want something but cant have it, it makes them want it even more.

funny how you say which one out of sony/ms doesnt short stock its console, kinda blinded to this was exactly what nintendo did, which amazed me that out of the 3 systems the wii was the cheapest to produce so nintendo had no excuse for its months of shortages when its understandable that a system that costs more to produce/retailers to buy and game stores will only order so many systems to share through all their retail stores and then order more as/when they sell.

p1nky
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I estimate it coming out in Europe on March 22nd, 2015, at double the price of the original Japanese launch price. Plus VAT.

billysastard
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
cant see it this time round what because they have a year head start, when they did this with the wii, nintendo did it to keep its high demand going for aslong as possible, when people want something but cant have it, it makes them want it even more.

funny how you say which one out of sony/ms doesnt short stock its console, kinda blinded to this was exactly what nintendo did, which amazed me that out of the 3 systems the wii was the cheapest to produce so nintendo had no excuse for its months of shortages when its understandable that a system that costs more to produce/retailers to buy and game stores will only order so many systems to share through all their retail stores and then order more as/when they sell.

once again try FACTS before writing it make you less like a prat.

firstly i said not that one company didnt short stock i said that if one company did it would benefit the other but i didnt specify which, second like it or not nintendo didnt short stock the wii it was just selling that many units they couldnt make any more, same as tracy island or cabbage patch kids, if they had been short stocking then it would have been like the ps2 when sony mysteriously "found" a warehouse full of stock at just the right time 2 years running although of course nintendo MAY have been short stocking at other times during the year i dont have any proof of that but all i can say is sales matched the production figures.

Retroboy
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
once again try FACTS before writing it make you less like a prat.

firstly i said not that one company didnt short stock i said that if one company did it would benefit the other but i didnt specify which, second like it or not nintendo didnt short stock the wii it was just selling that many units they couldnt make any more, same as tracy island or cabbage patch kids, if they had been short stocking then it would have been like the ps2 when sony mysteriously "found" a warehouse full of stock at just the right time 2 years running although of course nintendo MAY have been short stocking at other times during the year i dont have any proof of that but all i can say is sales matched the production figures.

lol you say prat yet erm it took nintendo months to actually get a decent ammount of wii consoles shipped, month after month nintendo could only ship so many to game stores and they had to be divided among the stores.

nintendo did this as a marketing scheme to keep the demand going, keeping people desprately wanting what they cant get.

but i guess regardless anything said in your eyes its been a prat only because like 99.999% of everything else, its your view that you only accept even when it utter BS for example your view on consoles acting upon hacks, the fact you bit the bait over the pre owned games, i highly expect you also have over the must be online rumor, psv games with HD in its name, yet class the wii hd because its using a sh1tty uspacller... now whos the prat??

he who takes it upon himself to slate a console over something rumored, yet anything negative said about nintendo (when half them are true facts, why loads of gamers avoid nintendo games)

JonathanD
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM

The problem with the Wii at the start is that they where selling at over 4X the rate of the 360 and more then that of the PS3 at the start. With that kind of demand unless you open 10 factories you just are not going to produce enough systems regardless of the specs. For a time the Wii actually set some monthly sales records that I believe only have recently been broken by the 3DS.

On another note, Sony did try to say there was a shortage of PS3's.... That turned out to be a pretty funny joke, what with all the web sites showing pictures of stores with many PS3's just waiting to be purchased.

I don't recall there being any shortages of 360's, there might have been but at the time of the 360's launch most people where waiting for the PS3, that is until Sony's famous "599 US dollars." line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHeCcwUeBk

Mr.Do!
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
The wii had the hype already.. Short stocking it would hurt more than help. I don't get how people can't understand that. The only reason to short stock to spark sales, is if your product is not going to sell out.. Wii didn't need that sort of help incase anyone didn't notice.

Nintendo didn't short stock. They had problems meeting demand.. Its a whole different problem.. (but still a problem)

When a product has momentum like that, short stocking is not how you make money. You want your product on the shelf because people are lining up to buy it..

Why in gods name would they want their stock sitting in a warehouse? Geez..

If you think wii would have had trouble selling, then you really are delusional.. You may not like the console.. But it sold.. and sold.. and sold.

Sort stocking had nothing to do with it.

DEDDOA
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Simple fact is, the Wii was selling far more than the 360 (which had it's own shortages for best part of 5-6 months after launch) and especially the PS3 which was in stock virtually everywhere (infact the only shortage of the PS3 was when they pulled the BC versions and people were trying to get them before they disappeared, but even then there were plenty of slims in stock) as combined with the hype, it was 100 cheaper than a 360 and 275 cheaper than a PS3, throw in christmas and the further hype from those who actually played it raving about wii sports, and the press going on about it (lets be fair like the wii or not, at launch it was a really great family fun console with Wii sports) there is no wonder demand was so high. further topping sales charts for months to come even when the competition was in stock and the Wii had shortages shows that supply couldn't meet demand but they were still making more than enough to outsell the competition. Fact is the wii has been very popular this gen as it appeals to more than just gamers, so with the larger potential mass market sales it needed far more stock then either the 360 or PS3.