PDA

View Full Version : New Apple TV will reportedly be called 'iPanel'

garyopa
04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
And could be released this year.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000006248/icon_xl.jpg

Analysts said that the new name of the Apple television set is iPanel and could be launched at the end of this year with and $800 price tag

More info about the rumored Apple television set. Now, analyst Peter Misek of Jeffries has estimated a price tag of $800 for the upcoming device that will be launched at the end of 2012 under the most-probably name of iPanel.

According to Redmondpie:

Although the tech world is getting more and more frustrated with its inability garner a shred of insight regarding Apple’s purported connected TV ventures, analyst Peter Misek of Jefferies – a global securities and investment banking group – has increased his price target for AAPL to $800, on the basis that a TV set from Apple is to materialize in the fourth quarter of this year.

Misek has "enough confidence" that the product – which he describes as "far more than a TV," will launch in Q4 2012 – just in time for the holiday season. He also reckons the name "iPanel" would be better suited than the rumored "iTV," since "TV," by name, automatically gives limiting connotations.

Only time will tell if he was right.

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/04/05/apple-jefferies-ups-target-to-800-on-the-ipanel/
NEWS SOURCE #2: http://www.redmondpie.com/apple%E2%80%99s-rumored-connected-tv-set-will-reportedly-be-called-ipanel-will-be-available-this-year/

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news story!

wewii
04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Hooray Apple has a new product which they can now upgrade (uhmm... hold back basic features) every couple of months.

Let me guess version 1 will be missing HDMI port (only vga/component)...
so that version 2 can have one HDMI port.....
so that version 3 can have 2 HDMI ports....
so that version 4 will finally add a usb port....
so that version 5 will have wifi (but no 3g)...
so that version 6 will have 3g (but not 4g).....
so that version 7 can have 4g (but no built in camera)....
so that version 8 will have a camera (but not HD Cam).....
so that version 9 will have an HD cam but not..... etc etc.

billysastard
04-10-2012, 09:37 AM
who the hell is this marketed towards, you can buy a damned good tv for that money.

Anil8tr
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
who the hell is this marketed towards, you can buy a damned good tv for that money.

You know exactly who this is marketed to: The iSheep. Those same people waiting on the deed to the bridge Apple sold them.

Kaos2K
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Honestly billy, we don't not yet what that TV will sport inside... I think it will be more than an actual "SmartTV" such as the Samsung ones which actually cost around that amount or even more...

billysastard
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Honestly billy, we don't not yet what that TV will sport inside... I think it will be more than an actual "SmartTV" such as the Samsung ones which actually cost around that amount or even more...

not sure how smart it would be to buy an apple tv, not when recently you could buy the new lg PASSIVE 3d app enabled tv for around £250

Kaos2K
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Really? 250 pounds? Cheaper than low-end TVs i see around here? What screen size are you talking about? If it is 32' or more please send me the link because i'm buying one right now :)

Cyber Akuma
04-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Its going to be a freaking iPad XL, you know it is. Its going to be nothing more than a tv running iOS, similar to the other Smart TVs out there. It will have one flashy but functionally useless feature just like every iOS device does, most likely run some crazy screen res that isn't either 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10 aspect, and have many standard ports and features missing. It will most likely also use displayport over VGA/HDMI and Thunderbolt over USB.

Everyone and their grandmother will start making hardware and accessories for it, ignoring every other TV out there. It will be considered the best and most innovative tv EVAR!!!11oneoneone despite doing nothing new, and will in fact have several features missing and be more or less only designed to work with other Apple products withing using 3rd party solutions and being a general collasal hassle. Movies and accessories will start shipping defaulting to iTV settings or not including features every other TV has but the iTV does not have because who buys a who buys a TV that isn't made by Apple right? Apple is the only manufacturer of computers, phones, and tvs apparently.

Streaming software like hulu and netflix and whatever will start favoring iTV and take forever, if EVER, to update them for non iTV standards.

Kaos2K
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Its going to be a freaking iPad XL, you know it is. Its going to be nothing more than a tv running iOS, similar to the other Smart TVs out there. It will have one flashy but functionally useless feature just like every iOS device does, most likely run some crazy screen res that isn't either 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10 aspect, and have many standard ports and features missing. It will most likely also use displayport over VGA/HDMI and Thunderbolt over USB.

Everyone and their grandmother will start making hardware and accessories for it, ignoring every other TV out there. It will be considered the best and most innovative tv EVAR!!!11oneoneone despite doing nothing new, and will in fact have several features missing and be more or less only designed to work with other Apple products withing using 3rd party solutions and being a general collasal hassle. Movies and accessories will start shipping defaulting to iTV settings or not including features every other TV has but the iTV does not have because who buys a who buys a TV that isn't made by Apple right? Apple is the only manufacturer of computers, phones, and tvs apparently.

Streaming software like hulu and netflix and whatever will start favoring iTV and take forever, if EVER, to update them for non iTV standards.

Yeah, and the iPhone was an augmented Nokia Symbian phone when it was released wasn't it? And the iPad just like all of those awkward tablet PCs that existed before which nobody bough, right? You say that Apple is not innovative but is selling millions of those things... Think about the "why" and stop hating ;).

Cyber Akuma
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, and the iPhone was an augmented Nokia Symbian phone when it was released wasn't it? And the iPad just like all of those awkward tablet PCs that existed before which nobody bough, right? You say that Apple is not innovative but is selling millions of those things... Think about the "why" and stop hating ;).

Smartphones existed before the iPhone, I had several, the phone I had at the time the iPhone was released had more features and a higher res screen than even the later released 3G and 3GS versions. Hell, it even had more apps avaliable. Also, despite these phones being Windows Mobile, Android was already years in development before the iPhone came out. Basic features like GPS, setting your own ringtones, wallpaper, recording video, etc were all STANDARD on even the "free with contract" most basic of phones when the iPhone, lacking ALL of these features, came out. And people still acted as if it was the most amazing device on the planet. Never even mind smartphones, which cost LESS than an iPhone.

Tablets existed just fine, they were just expensive, the tech wasn't there to make them cheap. If Apple putting a mobile OS in a tablet (and therefore limiting its functions severely) so innovative, why are people so excited that Windows 8 can being desktop-like power to a tablet?

Kaos2K
04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
I think you are not understanding my point. Off course there were smartphones before the iPhone, like the Symbian ones i had but honestly they were much more "hard" to use and not very standar-user friendly as you need to search for the Apps outside the phone and then transfer it later from a computer (Just like the iPhone when the App store was not open) but the difference is that the user experience with the iPhone is much much better than with those smartphones and in my personal opinion much more than the actual Android ones. iOS simply does what it was intended for and does it smoothly and very well without complications.The thing that Apple did with the iPhone was approaching the smartphone concept to a wide audience of users including the ones who were "allergic to technology". They did the same with the iPad and possibly will do it again with the new TV or at least it was what Steve Jobs planned.

billysastard
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Really? 250 pounds? Cheaper than low-end TVs i see around here? What screen size are you talking about? If it is 32' or more please send me the link because i'm buying one right now :)

sadly it was only 27", it was the LG DM2780D 27 inch 3D LED TV and its now gone up to £259 (with 2 pairs glasses and free shipping), still its great as a kids bedroom telly.

Cyber Akuma
04-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I think you are not understanding my point. Off course there were smartphones before the iPhone, like the Symbian ones i had but honestly they were much more "hard" to use and not very standar-user friendly as you need to search for the Apps outside the phone and then transfer it later from a computer (Just like the iPhone when the App store was not open) but the difference is that the user experience with the iPhone is much much better than with those smartphones and in my personal opinion much more than the actual Android ones. iOS simply does what it was intended for and does it smoothly and very well without complications.The thing that Apple did with the iPhone was approaching the smartphone concept to a wide audience of users including the ones who were "allergic to technology". They did the same with the iPad and possibly will do it again with the new TV or at least it was what Steve Jobs planned.

Actually, no, nothing like Symbian phones.

I meant more like Windows Mobile and BlackberryOS phones.

Symbian is actually the most popular OS for BASIC phones, not smartphones. Its not a smartphone OS.

I also disagree on them being harder to use. windows CE/mobile was designed with a Windows Desktop version in mind, something that many people using one was familiar with, grated, this was deisnged for more product use in mind. Windows Mobile 6.1 made huge strides in the GUI being more appealing looking as well as easier to get information and navigate. On top of that, like Android, you could always load your own GUI shell on top of it. And you didn't need to use a computer to install apps. Yes, there was no apps store until after the iPhone, but there were thousnads of apps avaliable that you could download and install straight from the phone, no PC needed. I heavily disagree about the iPhone user interface being better as well. I feel it is a huge stem down due to its massively oversimplified nature. The entire GUI is basically the app drawer forced open. No customization, no widgets, no nothing. It took them until iOS 5 to realize "Hey, maybe displaying notifications on the completely vacant lock screen would be a good idea". Thats just ridiculus that it took that long to not make the lock screen just one giant blank "slide to unlock" widget.

As for the iPad? That thign is nothing more than an iPod Touch XL. Why does everyone act like its so amazing? Its even less usable than an iPhone.

Kaos2K
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
sadly it was only 27", it was the LG DM2780D 27 inch 3D LED TV and its now gone up to £259 (with 2 pairs glasses and free shipping), still its great as a kids bedroom telly.

Do you have a link for it? I'm really interested in an SmartTV to replace my 22" Samsung "dumbTV" hehe.

EDIT: I found it on Amazon.co.uk with the 259 pound tag (314€) and free shipping but unfortunately on Amazon.es the price tag is 344€ and no free shipping. I really hate things like that. We are paying much more for the same products and are earning less monthly :(

Actually, no, nothing like Symbian phones.

I meant more like Windows Mobile and BlackberryOS phones.

Symbian is actually the most popular OS for BASIC phones, not smartphones. Its not a smartphone OS.

I also disagree on them being harder to use. windows CE/mobile was designed with a Windows Desktop version in mind, something that many people using one was familiar with, grated, this was deisnged for more product use in mind. Windows Mobile 6.1 made huge strides in the GUI being more appealing looking as well as easier to get information and navigate. On top of that, like Android, you could always load your own GUI shell on top of it. And you didn't need to use a computer to install apps. Yes, there was no apps store until after the iPhone, but there were thousnads of apps avaliable that you could download and install straight from the phone, no PC needed. I heavily disagree about the iPhone user interface being better as well. I feel it is a huge stem down due to its massively oversimplified nature. The entire GUI is basically the app drawer forced open. No customization, no widgets, no nothing. It took them until iOS 5 to realize "Hey, maybe displaying notifications on the completely vacant lock screen would be a good idea". Thats just ridiculus that it took that long to not make the lock screen just one giant blank "slide to unlock" widget.

As for the iPad? That thign is nothing more than an iPod Touch XL. Why does everyone act like its so amazing? Its even less usable than an iPhone.

Did you realize that smartphones and tablets are intended to be easy to use? Controlled by touch gestures you need to access or run whatever you want in a quick way without using complicated menus or things like that. If you need all the things you mention on a smartphone i think is better to get a laptop.

And Just one question. Have you ever tried an iPhone or an iPad for more than a week? I can assure that both devices worth every penny when you use it on a regular basis.

Nicotine
04-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Hooray Apple has a new product which they can now upgrade (uhmm... hold back basic features) every couple of months.

Let me guess version 1 will be missing HDMI port (only vga/component)...
so that version 2 can have one HDMI port.....
so that version 3 can have 2 HDMI ports....
so that version 4 will finally add a usb port....
so that version 5 will have wifi (but no 3g)...
so that version 6 will have 3g (but not 4g).....
so that version 7 can have 4g (but no built in camera)....
so that version 8 will have a camera (but not HD Cam).....
so that version 9 will have an HD cam but not..... etc etc.

You're thinking of Samsung!

iPhone - ONE a year. dare you take the time to look up Samsungs releases within the last year alone?..... they are already outdating the horrible Nexus (which I had, and gladly got rid of), with the GSIII, and the Nexus isn't even a year old yet.

Samsung releases at LEAST one phone a month.

wewii
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM

iPhone - ONE a year. dare you take the time to look up Samsungs releases within the last year alone?..... they are already outdating the horrible Nexus (which I had, and gladly got rid of), with the GSIII, and the Nexus isn't even a year old yet.

The fundamental difference between a Samsung upgrade and an Apple upgrade is that newer Samsung products don't make you feel like a jackass for not upgrading or buying late in the product life cycle.

While Apple makes it seem like nothing else exists when a new iToy comes out. Thanks to all the iSheep out there and the brain washing marketing machine.
Apple plays on people's shallow vanity to own the best and newest.

Apple literally turns peoples values/thought processes into mush. When is the last time you heard of people selling their organs (kidneys) for a Samsung phone/tablet?

OMG. You use iPhone 3... damn you must be a caveman from the stone age.

Cyber Akuma
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Did you realize that smartphones and tablets are intended to be easy to use? Controlled by touch gestures you need to access or run whatever you want in a quick way without using complicated menus or things like that. If you need all the things you mention on a smartphone i think is better to get a laptop.

1. Thats why I specifically mentioned the UI improvements in Windows Mobile 6.1 that made it far easier and friendlier to use. Even before that though, it was using a Windows 95/98/xp-like UI, something that people are FAMILIAR with, and thus, wouldent be too tricky to use. BlackBerryOS likewise was simple to use as well.

2. Apple keeps claimning that their iPhone sand iPads are ushering in a "Post-PC era", seriously, did you see their iPad 3 keynote? They kept saying Post-PC over and over as if it was a nervious tick. Phones and tablets can't possible do all a PC can, yet Apple wants to boast that they will replace PCs with their phones. So which is it?

3. Tablets WERE meant to be both PCs and Tablets. Everyone was expecting the iPad to run MacOS, not iOS. They STILL make such computers too by the way, tablets that run a desktop OS. Windows 8 is pretty much bridging the gap by making an OS thats basically a desktop and tablet os at the same time.

And Just one question. Have you ever tried an iPhone or an iPad for more than a week? I can assure that both devices worth every penny when you use it on a regular basis.

I have had an iPod Touch 4 for about a year and a half to nearly two years now actually, how do you think I am noticing all the flaws and issues with iOS if I didn't have such a device?

Have you ever used a smartphone before iOS for a decent length of time? A lot of your accusations are completely inaccurate, starting with thinking Symbian is a smartphone OS.

To be fair, the ONLY phone product Apple has is the iPhone.

Samsung makes several Android, Windows Phone, and basic phone devices. They don't have a single cellphone product line. The Galaxy III is not the new model of the Galaxy Nexus, they are seperate product lines. New tech comes out, they make new phones. The old phone is not obselete yet, its just no longer top of the line, yet its still high up there for now, which happens with ANY computerized tech, not just cellphones. What, you expect them to only release a single phone a year just so people who purchased a phone feel like they are still on the edge while their competition overtakes them? Its not a Galaxy Nexus 2, its a different phone. That has newer tech, yes, which is to be expected for a phoen coming several months after another, even if its a different product line. Look at HTC, do you think the Evo 3D, Rezound, and One X are upgraded versions of the same device?

Kaos2K
04-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Yeah, im totally innacutarate, Symbian is not a smartphone OS, is just for toasters and vending machines. :D

From the wikipedia:

Symbian was a mobile operating system (OS) and computing platform designed for smartphones and currently maintained by Accenture

I had a Nokia 6330 with Symbian and several other i dont remember before getting my first iPhone 3G. Furtermore i have an iPhone 4 and and iPad (and want to buy the ipad 3) now but also an HTC Magic, Nokia 5800 xpress music and a Galaxy Nexus with ICS and i can say i prefer much more the user experience the Apple products provide. And before you ask i have been always a Linux user but i currently use OS X for the same reasons i use iOS.

billysastard
04-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Yeah, im totally innacutarate, Symbian is not a smartphone OS, is just for toasters and vending machines. :D

From the wikipedia:

I had a Nokia 6330 with Symbian and several other i dont remember before getting my first iPhone 3G. Furtermore i have an iPhone 4 and and iPad (and want to buy the ipad 3) now but also an HTC Magic, Nokia 5800 xpress music and a Galaxy Nexus with ICS and i can say i prefer much more the user experience the Apple products provide. And before you ask i have been always a Linux user but i currently use OS X for the same reasons i use iOS.

i had the symbian os on several phones including my trusty 9210, on that (because of its massive for the time screen) i used to use a front end called redshift commander (i think that was its name) that allowed me to run pretty much the same front end as i used on my pc making the transition between pc and smartphone seamless beyond anything out now, the only issue was that i had to shut it down to free memory if i wanted to run flash based stuff.

Cyber Akuma
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM

From the wikipedia:

Wikipedia is hardly flawless. They call them smartphones but really, they are more what the carriers call "feature phones" than smartphones. They typically don't even require a data plan while smartphones do. Yes, you can have a "smartphone" running nearly any OS you want, but Symbian was mostly used for flip phones.

If I may ask, you keep using generic terms like "user experience" when referring to Apple products over their competition. Might I ask what exactly about iOS do you prefer over Android/BlackBerryOS/WebOS/WindowsPhone? If anything, iOS seems to have been playing catch-up the last few years. I already detailed several things it took iOS forever to get around to that their competition has had for a while.

Kaos2K
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
In a simplified way i understand a smartphone OS as the one you can install on more apps and functionalities than the stock ones. You can do that on Android, Blackberry OS, iOS and also on Symbian. And back again to the wikipedia, if you read the "Smartphone" entry you can find and ENTIRE section referring to the Symbian OS. Check it Out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

And in reply to your questions, i like iOS because it allows me to do what i want in a quick and effortless way. The menus and the system in general is very intuitive and almost anyone could use it without having to pass and "intensive training course" to dominate it like in Android, for example. In my opinion, Android is a good smartphone OS but too complex to be as intuitive as iOS. You have to remember that we are talking about Phones, not computers in the traditional sense.