PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Apple planning to release its own console system

garyopa
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Tim Cook visited Valve's installations for inspiration

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000006666/icon_xl.jpg

Several reports claim that Apple is preparing not only an Smart TV but a game console integrated on it

Exciting news we have here. It appears that Tim Cook, Apple's actual CEO after the passing of Steve Jobs, was spotted in at least two occasions visiting Valve's headquarters searching for inspiration for a future project.

The rumors, are talking about Apple considering entering the home console market launching one of its own with touch and movement controls like Microsoft's Kinect.

Furthermore, it could be integrated in the "upcoming" Smart TV they are supposedly going to release in the near future.

According to CultofMac that got the exclusive:

An unconfirmed report surfaced yesterday saying that Apple CEO Tim Cook was spotted at Valve’s headquarters in Bellevue, Washington. Whenever Cook is spotted out and about, people take notice. The CEO of the world’s most valuable company doesn’t personally visit other tech companies to simply have a chat.

Many speculated as to why Cook would be visiting Valve, maker of popular game series like Half-Life, Team Fortress and Portal. Valve also boasts an incredibly robust online PC gaming platform called Steam that operates similarly to Apple’s App Store.

We’ve gotten word that Cook was indeed at Valve yesterday, and what’s more, Apple is planning a full-on assault to take over the living room. This assault won’t just be limited to the long-rumored Apple HDTV set, but will also include a revolutionary home console as well.

According to sources to Cult of Mac, Apple is working on a television set with an iTunes-integrated touch screen remote and Siri-like voice command technology. The TV set will be coming before the end of 2012. Rumors and patents have said as much for the past year, so that’s nothing new. But that’s not all we’ve heard.

Our sources also say that Apple’s television set will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console. The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls.

If there’s anyone that’s good at manufacturing and distributing hardware, it’s Apple. We don’t know the exact details of why Tim Cook met with Valve recently, but the two companies are obviously talking to one another. Based on what we’ve heard, it’s possible that Apple could be considering Valve as a partner for its entrance into living room gaming.

We hope that if this is true, the new device doesn't get the same fate as the infamous 1995' Apple (Bandai) Pippin console.

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-apple-ceo-tim-cook-met-with-valve-exclusive/

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news story!

IJTF_Cinder
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Hope for their sake, they can realize that tactile feedback controls are NECESSARY, and that touchscreen\motion controls are additional\secondary.

I bet this whole talk of Valve releasing a system too, will be a joint project between the two with Steam and\or the App Store. My bet is on a digital download only system too if that's the case, and if so I smell failure.

garyopa
04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Hope for their sake, they can realize that tactile feedback controls are NECESSARY, and that touchscreen\motion controls are additional\secondary.

I bet this whole talk of Valve releasing a system too, will be a joint project between the two with Steam and\or the App Store. My bet is on a digital download only system too if that's the case, and if so I smell failure.

I agree for sure a 'Joint Project' it will be, and 'Digital Download' or 'Steaming system' like OnLive -- As so it will be marketted to countries with high-end broadband access, but the iSheep will make sure it is NOT a failure!

p1nky
04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
If they really integrate a console into a TV then for sure it's gonna be a huge fail, that's a no go. They don't really think I'll put another TV right beside my 55" TV? Or that I'll replace my 55" LED TV with whatever the iGods think is the "correct size", prolly 40" or something...

wewii
04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh no. Now we are going to have a bunch of iSheep claiming they are hardcore gamers just because they owned an iPad and played Angry Birds before the release of the iConsole.

Can't wait for the fanboy flame wars to begin. I'm a little worried about this. I anticipated a higher level of ignorance which comes with being a Apple fanboy.

billysastard
04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
has anyone told apple that most of us dont replace our tv's every 9 months? or indeed that modern tv's have hdmi port, sd card slots and usb ports or that tv's need a controller?

as to the gabecube, i can see retail boxes for games that require steam to operate with some kind of itunes integrated for music and video.

GaussTek
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
has anyone told apple that most of us dont replace our tv's every 9 months? or indeed that modern tv's have hdmi port, sd card slots and usb ports or that tv's need a controller?

as to the gabecube, i can see retail boxes for games that require steam to operate with some kind of itunes integrated for music and video.

LOL, true...

The rumors are pretty strong now, so I guess this is going to happen sooner or later.

But, assuming you will be able to play Steam games, on what OS this thing will run? Windows? lol ... or I guess the game offer will be limited, just like Steam on Mac Os?

Battlefield
04-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Apple is very good at naming their products, and the name is probably named by a 5 year old kid too. "iConsole"???

There is too many consoles on the market already, so why release another one? Its becoming like the early 90's where we had like 15 consoles at the same time. CDTV, CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo, CD-I, SNES, Megadrive +++

When thats said, besides iSheep, who wants this limited crap console with Steam, when you have a much better Steam on a PC???..not only that, but there is limited # of games on Steam for MAC. PC wins in every aspect here.

Xenogears V
04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Market is satured, another console can be only a faliure.

JonathanD
04-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Probably just the Pipen with a Wiimote... hehehehe

http://blog.wtfconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wario-troll-face.jpg

DEDDOA
04-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Well at least Sony will be able to claim pricing the PS4 the sme as the launch PS3 will be cheap using an apple console by comparisson, as given apples track record it would be at least 2x the price of the competition tho not have the power to backup the extra price. It would have a nice case tho and with it's yearly updates will be up to date with the other consoles in 3-5 revisions, you never know it may impliment features like dual analogue stick after a few revisons and convince the iSheep that it's a brilliant new feature :P

billysastard
04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
you never know it may impliment features like dual analogue stick after a few revisons and convince the iSheep that it's a brilliant new feature :P

i think i may wait until they innovate the new multiplayer feature because that sounds really good, imagine being able to connect 2 controllers so you and a friend could both play at the same time ;)

DEDDOA
04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
i think i may wait until they innovate the new multiplayer feature because that sounds really good, imagine being able to connect 2 controllers so you and a friend could both play at the same time ;)

So the generation after next then? :)

I hear they will connected using the tech all the kids are talking about, cables. None of this wifi stuff, these "cabled" controllers will allow for all apple customers to be able to have a line across the floor showing them where their nice looking console is at all times :P

billysastard
04-17-2012, 08:55 AM
So the generation after next then? :)

I hear they will connected using the tech all the kids are talking about, cables. None of this wifi stuff, these "cabled" controllers will allow for all apple customers to be able to have a line across the floor showing them where their nice looking console is at all times :P

yes, but how long dare you wait before it requires an ipanel to play it on or they decide that wireless controls are the way to go and require 4 ipads