PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate EE dev slams Nintendo

garyopa
04-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Says 'the Wii is a toy instead of a console'...

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKLS0000006821/icon_xl.jpg

Beamdog founder and former BioWare man, Trent Oster, says Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will not be coming to Wii U... explains why.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is a remake of the PC RPG Baldur's Gate, which was developed by BioWare, and it's coming to PC, Mac OS and iPad.

The port is being handled Overhaul Games, a division of Beamdog, company that includes many BioWare's ex-employees.

Well, looks like Beamdog's Boss, Trent Oster, is a 'bit' mad with Nintendo, as he says the game won't be coming to Wii U, as his first experience working with Nintendo ensured they won't work together again.

"We don't do Nintendo development," he stated. "Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another.

"My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit. Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers.

According to him, “The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Oster went on to call the Wii a toy instead of a console, citing the system's low attach rate. "You buy a Wii, Wii sports and never buy another game," Oster said. "Bad for devs."

Last year, Beamdog released a port of the BioWare action game MDK2 for WiiWare. Looks like it didn't do very well. It isn’t known if it had passed the 6,000 milestone... probably not and that's why he now slams Nintendo like this!

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is releasing this summer on the mentioned platforms above.

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/baldur-s-gate-dev-slams-nintendo/094549
NEWS SOURCE #2: http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/17/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-not-coming-to-wii-u-says-beamdog-boss/

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

Darkest_RaVeN
04-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Really, this again? Wii is a toy... Yawn. How old is this arguement? Try making a new game that's not for Wiiware\XBLA\etc download only section of a console and not something that's a remake of a game from nearly 15 years ago.
The previous game they launched on Wiiware, MDK2, was a very niche title that anyone who wanted this game probably already has the original on DC\PC, hence the poor sales. Added that 1000 Wii points is expensive. Probably not the best title to start with.
Plus as this article states this won't be coming to Wii-U, I don't see how his arguements for low attach rate on the Wii is relevent to making a game for a system that's not even out yet...

billysastard
04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
if you cant sell 6,000 downloads of a exclusive (this gen) game on a system with an installed base of around 90,000,000 then either you made the wrong game or your advertising department needs replacing.

i wonder how the 6k units "cost" compares to the amount that ms charges to put a game on xbla when you consider that ms charge $25k just to deploy a patch.

the only bit he gets right is that yes, the wii is a toy, its a games console and yes, thats what consoles are, but its no more or less of a toy than any other games console.

Captain N1
04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
yeah and just look how well that "toy" sold. i guess the wii U and 3ds are also "toys". Here is another developer blaming someone else for their shortcomings. lol 40mb limit. make a real game on a disc. no 40mb limit there.

billysastard
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
yeah and just look how well that "toy" sold. i guess the wii U and 3ds are also "toys". Here is another developer blaming someone else for their shortcomings. lol 40mb limit. make a real game on a disc. no 40mb limit there.

n64 games were all (except re2) under 32mb and that didnt prevent some superb games.

[ACF]Umax
04-19-2012, 02:53 AM
n64 games were all (except re2) under 32mb and that didnt prevent some superb games.

ALL? This is off topic, but come on! Conker's bad fur day was a 512MBit cartridge.

billysastard
04-19-2012, 05:35 AM
Umax;1362083']ALL? This is off topic, but come on! Conker's bad fur day was a 512MBit cartridge.

sorry i thought re2 was the only 512mbit cart but thats still only 64mb

[ACF]Umax
04-20-2012, 05:28 AM
That's true, they achieved some AMAZONG stuff with limited space back then :)