PDA

View Full Version : People who bricked their DS Lite...

gama
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I want to know how? What happened? How is it possible? Isn't the SL1 easy to spot? Did you touch the component beside it? Was it unplugged when you flash it?

Sokaris
06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I was stupid enough to brick one, i got the shakes and lost contact with the SL1 at 1% (didn't touch the problem spot), no matter how much i tried it wouldn't resume i then accepted my brick.

Got another today i made a little tool out of a credit card screwdriver with foil for the contact + blutack for insulation on all but the tip. i faced the ds lite towards a mirror, carefully hit the point and watched it hit 100% in 2 seconds.. perfect :D

Careful IS the name of the game on this one, as for the other unit lets wait to see if a recovery method appears.
Read before doing it and your fine.

Following up my ds power light still turns on and the passkey2 blinks.. whats the chances i can restore this? anyone have a full method for m3 restore as i can't seem to do anything?

akuma99
06-18-2006, 06:07 AM
You could have recovered from he "brick" thing. All you have to do is reboot the DS Lite with no game in the DS slot. Then use the A+B+START+SELECT this will allow you to boot off the flash cart. Then you can try it again. When I first tried to flash mine it turned off at 3% (I think I touched something wrong). Anyway I tried it again and all went perfect.

lenselijer
06-18-2006, 08:42 AM
If you have a bricked ds lite, then please pm me, i want to buy it.

BobbyBlunt
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
akumu99 is right.
Pull out the passkey and restore will work.

Rinny
06-19-2006, 03:25 PM
call me stupid but I flashed my DS 5 times and couldnt get it to mess up. One time of the three I lost connection for a second and I just kept tapping the connection-- AND IT WOULDNT WORK!!!! OH NO!!!

but when you lose connection you need to keep it connected for 1-1.5 seconds and before it will start again.

The ONLY way that a DS may be ruined is if the system TURNS ITSELF OFF while flashing (or if you give up and turn it off). Even then there is a great chance that it can be recovered through the recovery process described online.

hubbahubba
06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Had a really bad experience today...Bricked my DS lite!!!

I don't know what went wrong. Whats weird is after pressing X B X B, when the process shows as O%, i used a paper-clip to short out SL1. It still stayed on 0% which i couldn't figure out why! I was touching the SL1 with the paperclip but still no progress. Am i supposed to PRESS the SL1 or just touch it?

Anyways, all of a sudden it went to 1% and then just started blinking and then shut itself off!!! After that, i tried the restore process, but it didn't help. When i tried to reboot, all i saw was the light turn yellow indicating that it was switching on, but the screens just stayed black!!!

Be carefull when doing the procedure guys. Safest thing to do would probably get the passcard3...

Sokaris
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
akumu99 is right.
Pull out the passkey and restore will work.

I've tried this with it, A + B + Start + Select.
I used the e3 game manager. told it to write flashme_stealth in normal mode.
The screens are just blank but the power light is on.
Am i flashing the rom wrong?
should it be able to do this on non-bricked flashme nds's so i can see if it works?

hubbahubba
06-20-2006, 10:56 PM
This time around, i got it right! I used aluminium foil as suggested by one of the forum members and it went from 1 to a 100% in less than 10 seconds! I had the jitters when it was progressing but fortunate for me my autonomic activity didn't overact!!!

Flashme is simply superb! It completely obviates the need for my bulky passkey2!!! :) Kudo's to the guys who wrote this piece of code, simply amazing! Am i glad that i jumped from the PSP (POS) to the DSL!!!

Use aluminium foil guys....thats the best way to short the SL1!

Cheers!

hubbahubba
06-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Oh and to short SL1, you HAVE to touch both portions, that is on either side of the groove on SL1. So, if you are going to take a screwdriver and poke only one half of it, its NOT going to work which is why aluminium foil is the best solution!

Cheers!

crono
06-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't know whats everyone is crying about,its just as easy as the normal ds.
Just don't screw yourself ;-) becuase if you toutch, it your screwed.
If your afarid of toutching it,plase somethin between it,some paper or plastix,sou you can't toucht the screw right from it.

Rinny
06-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Best solution is a mini flathead screwdriver that is wrapped up in electricians tape from 1" up it to the tip. Just leave the actual flat edge exposed.

enduros
06-30-2006, 03:34 AM
hi Guys,

my DS lite has been flashed by a friend (who knows his stuff), but it seems he hadn't the right firmware, which ended up in me having the brightness problem (on/off instead of the 4 settings).

So I tried it myself y'day with that 525KB flashme.nds. And I have to say, I'm an artistic person, not technical. In fact, not very talented in that aspect.

Of course, I bricked it.

It just powered down, as I shortened the circuit. And it's clearly my fault because I hadn't it conntected to the power, so I guess that was it (I just read that, shame on me).

Anyway, I keep reading of that A+B+Start+Select reset trick. My screens are black, unfortunately. What can I do? Please help!

many thx,

enduros quad

Gihiro
07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I bricked my Lite 10 mins ago.. My friend pushed A+B+START+SELECT and held it down while he turned the power on and kept on pushing them down for like 10 secs. Then you countinue flashing. :)

Buuuutttt.. I got the birghtness prob. =/

Anyone know HOW to make it work?

Nevermind, flashed it agian with the file on 556kb. Now the brightness works :D

crono
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Just flashed my sister’s ds lite, you must be really stooped to brick a ds lite.
It’s very hard to get contact whit the flashing point and the screw right of it, I did tried but I could not reach it!!!!!!! How the hell do you get it bricked!!! :-s

enduros
07-02-2006, 01:41 AM
still doesn't work. very frustrating. I guess I'll return it and try to get a new one . ...

BobbyBlunt
07-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Just flashed my sister’s ds lite, you must be really stooped to brick a ds lite.
It’s very hard to get contact whit the flashing point and the screw right of it, I did tried but I could not reach it!!!!!!! How the hell do you get it bricked!!! :-s

:eek: you're actually trying to brick it?

crono
07-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Whit power off ofcourse, its very difficult to brick it when flashing, you must really do your best to brick it.

galaxykidgamma
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
well, i tried to flash my ndsl today with a g6l and bricked it (turns out the power outlet i was using was tempermental and faulty)

okay so, i'm a little worried but i hear i could boot directly to the card

ITS NOT WORKING

the mirror i was using was a broken mirror because it's the only one i could find so in my panic i sliced my thumb on it

i continued trying to boot from the card in the process getting blood all over my ds and everything else, this was very frightening

in the end i ended having to re-flash from my m3 but now i have a bloodstained ds :cool: very cool :cool:

gama
07-11-2006, 12:53 AM
well, i tried to flash my ndsl today with a g6l and bricked it (turns out the power outlet i was using was tempermental and faulty)
Perhaps your blood re-shorted the SL1 point. :p
Glad that it turned out well for you.

bigbilly50
07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Bricked a DS Lite myself last night - my own stupid fault for not using a proper tool to bridge SL1 (I used a flat headed screw). Stopped at 4% and then switched itself off. Managed to get back in using the 'recovery option' but would not go past 4% and kept on switching off. After several atttempts something must of 'blown' - would not charge / switch on or anything.

However.... took it back to shop and flashed my replacement no bother at all using a toothpick covered in tin foil :)

This was using Passkey 2 and M3

BobbyBlunt
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Bricked a DS Lite myself last night - my own stupid fault for not using a proper tool to bridge SL1 (I used a flat headed screw). Stopped at 4% and then switched itself off. Managed to get back in using the 'recovery option' but would not go past 4% and kept on switching off. After several atttempts something must of 'blown' - would not charge / switch on or anything.

However.... took it back to shop and flashed my replacement no bother at all using a toothpick covered in tin foil :)

This was using Passkey 2 and M3

oh how easy it was to flash a phat DS. just stick a random bit of metal in and waggle it about without a care in the world.
But after hearing about all these bricks I'm too scared to flash my lite.

gama
07-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey Bobby, DaveyChan at SCDev pointed this out:

This is for those of you who have been worried about the latest rumors about the NDSL shutting itself down when you bridge the SL1 point on the latest wave of NDSLs....

Okay, first of all... it WILL power down, but there are reasons for this, and ways around it! Keep reading!

I have personally flashed about 12 units, all from various release dates, some from day one wave here in Tokyo (mine! ), and three just yesterday from last week's wave release....
Read more on http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4339

BobbyBlunt
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey Bobby, DaveyChan at SCDev pointed this out:

Read more on http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4339

Thanks, but I haven't been able to view scdev.org for a couple of weeks now. Cannot find server. No Idea why?

_Mazza_
07-14-2006, 02:54 PM
That link is wrong, when I flashed my lite I lost contact with sl1 twice but connected again after about 3 seconds and i still finished the process in about 30 seconds, honestly having no health screen is brilliant straight on to the games :D

To anyone thinking of flashing a DS Lite just get a mirror, make a insulated tool out of foil and tape and plug the DS in, it is so easy just don't do anything stupid

gama
07-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks, but I haven't been able to view scdev.org for a couple of weeks now. Cannot find server. No Idea why?
Maybe your DNS server went crazy.
Here is the original post

Greetz,

This is for those of you who have been worried about the latest rumors about the NDSL shutting itself down when you bridge the SL1 point on the latest wave of NDSLs....

Okay, first of all... it WILL power down, but there are reasons for this, and ways around it! Keep reading!

I have personally flashed about 12 units, all from various release dates, some from day one wave here in Tokyo (mine! ), and three just yesterday from last week's wave release. I experimented with several different units yesterday (flashed and un-flashed) in order to find out the "truth" about these rumors. I think this is useful information (Pin?!?), and I'm passing it on so you don't make a terrible mistake, or feel the need to experiment around with your new $200 toy.

Okay, here is the list of conclusions I have made from yesterday's experimentation. For each of these, I used the "scientific method" and repeated the situation numerous times on four different units of different release dates before deciding "this is the way it works."

Here goes:
1) If you don't have the AC adapter plugged in, the unit will immediately power down when you bridge the SL1! It doesn't seem to matter what charge percentage the battery is at, if you aren't plugged in, you are going to get black screens when you touch that SL1! PLUG IN YOUR UNIT! Simple, easy, and safe.

==The following are assuming you are now plugged in!==

2) If you bridge the SL1 and then remove it, the next time you bridge, you will power off. Basically, this means you've got one try to get this right! (If you have begun a flash and didn't complete it, there are recovery methods, and results vary. Check this forum for information about this before you cry.) If you twist, fidget, sneeze, or had too many burritos and salsa for lunch... be warned! When flashing, I recommend holding the NDSL vertically in one solid grip, and use your other steady hand to control your bridging tool. Some like using a mirror to see the screen. Do whatever is most comfortable for you! Next, put your bridging tool in the hole in one smooth motion and then FREEZE!, and hold it there. If the percentage counter starts increasing, just keep waiting. If it doesn't, I strongly recommend you remove your tool, power off, and START OVER. The reason for this is that if you managed to bridge the gap, but didn't hold it long enough to kick start the flash, you'll lose power the second time you touch that SL1.

3) If you touch anything other than the SL1, specifically the metal point immediately next to it, you will power off. It's an ugly situation, and people have blown fuses and more often then not, made a lovely new paperweight. Make damn sure you are using a tool that isn't going to flake or peel off metal bits (be sure those aluminum wrapped tools are tight!) and that you have complete control over whatever tool you are using. If you are especially paranoid or just not that confident in your ability to keep your hands steady, I recommend you consider the advice of several people on this forum. One of the more safe methods I've read about, is to use a plastic straw to create a shield around the SL1 so as not to risk any chance of touching something you shouldn't. Personally, i don't want more things getting in my way while I flash. Seems like just too much stuff with the mirrors, power cables, straws, pass cards, super cards, bridging tools (in my case a toothpick with foil), and not to mention the panting and salivating of the NDSL's owner, as he burns holes in your head with fear as you muck around with the their new toy!

Okay, that's about it. I hope this information helps relieve some of the fear going on about the new waves of NDSL being altered to prevent flashing. Best of luck!

_Mazza_
07-16-2006, 06:21 AM
In my opinion only the 3rd point is true. I lost coontact and when i rebridged it just carried on

galaxykidgamma
07-16-2006, 08:13 AM
In my opinion only the 3rd point is true. I lost coontact and when i rebridged it just carried on
It seems that flashme is designed to work this way, but for some people it just dosen't. I have seen all over the place different people agreeing w/ the guy gama quoted, and people saying stuff like "re-moving the short only PAUSES the process". This wasn't the case for me where re-shorting the sl1 caused it to shut down. I also experienced it shutting down immediately after the short because there was no power coming from my outlet (essentially it was unplugged). What percentage were you at when you lost contact? maybe that is a clue as to why we're seeing this discrepancy

_Mazza_
07-16-2006, 11:15 AM
i think it was about 60-65% and i lost it a few times around then so i took it out steadied myself and stuck it bakcin and it raced to 100%

Sokaris
07-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Good news i recently got another ds lite which i flasheme'd easy.
Today i look on scdev.org and find how to unbrick an nds with no blown fuses.. i now have 2 nds lites with flashme. wooohooo :cool:

Hard to belive the bios is plug n play :p

galaxykidgamma
07-16-2006, 05:53 PM
i think it was about 60-65% and i lost it a few times around then so i took it out steadied myself and stuck it bakcin and it raced to 100%
well i guess that could be the reason then, i was at a very low percent when i lost contact, the more i think about it, the more it makes sense, maybe the part of the FW that allows this "pause" is at a higher percent than some get.

but that would seem weird, If the flashme software isn't responsible for shutting down when sl1 is rebridged, should it really matter what percent you're on?

I'm racking my brain trying to think why some people are having this problem, there shouldn't really be enough of a difference between regional dslite's to cause this... (mine is from hong kong) very puzzling

Sokaris
07-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Id be supprised if it wasn't flashme.. why would the unit completely lockup on the first nds lite i got and not the second..
also why would the fuse not be blown on the brick so i could restore it using a second ds lites bios?
Sounds more fishy to me than people just hitting the groundpoints.

Red Nepenthes
07-21-2006, 04:05 AM
tested a ds lite and tried to brick it to find out what exactly did brick it but failed. was attempting to avoid blowing the fuse (so didnt touch the skrew)

a. tried to flash it without power plug (shut itself off and worked fine)
b. tried to flash it got into install at 0% did manual turn off, (worked fine after)
c. slightly touched sl1 and let it go and got to 1% and shut it off manually non bootable but power did come on, flicker then stayed on, recovery method did work suprisingly thought it was bricked at 1%
d. i bridged and released a few times while it tried to install which worked and second ds got flashed

btw fresh out of box DSLite, it was a USA retail store bought (EBGames) version (console only no games)
Used MK4-mini + EZ4 Lite MicroSD version for flashing

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Guys need your help!!

I put flashme7 on my dslite with no problems.

I then tried to unistall just to see the procedure using noflashme.nds and i think i have bricked it.

I am using g6lite as my card.

I started the flashing of noflashme.nds and i lost contact at around 18%, i tried to regain contact and the DSlite switched off.

I disconnected the charger and tried turning on... black screen.

I tried the a+b+select+start and got into my flash card, tried launching flashme.nds and noflashme.nds but just get a white screen.

Can somebody please help!!! I should never or tried to uninstall!!!

iball
07-22-2006, 03:22 PM
How do you think you bricked it?
If you had flashme installed then press START+SELECT+A+B and THEN press the power button and it should get you back into the cart.
Recopy the flashme.nds over in case it got corrupted somehow.
I recovered mine from FWnitro a bunch of times today using the same process.
Make sure flashme.nds is in the root of the SD card.

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:27 PM
How do you think you bricked it?
If you had flashme installed then press START+SELECT+A+B and THEN press the power button and it should get you back into the cart.
Recopy the flashme.nds over in case it got corrupted somehow.
I recovered mine from FWnitro a bunch of times today using the same process.
Make sure flashme.nds is in the root of the SD card.

Ok i can get into my cart but when i run flashme.nds it just goes into a white screen.

I can seem to start the process again. I am using G6Lite flash cart and can see all my roms etc... on the cart but none of them will boot... nor the flashme.nds or noflashme.nds

Any other suggestions???

iball
07-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok i can get into my cart but when i run flashme.nds it just goes into a white screen.

I can seem to start the process again. I am using G6Lite flash cart and can see all my roms etc... on the cart but none of them will boot... nor the flashme.nds or noflashme.nds

Any other suggestions???
Make sure you do NOT have a DS cart plugged in.
Also, try flashing FWnitro and THEN flashing flashme.nds.
Make sure you're using the special flashme version for the DS Lite.
I used the version found here (http://203.218.237.237:2888/ndsgba/download/download.htm).
It's at the bottom of the page.
You can also try the flashme.nds.gba version for the DS Lite found on the same page.
And make damn sure you're into recovery-mode by making sure START+SELECT+A+B is pressed before power on!
I didn't do that and I got the EXACT same problem you have!

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Make sure you do NOT have a DS cart plugged in.
Also, try flashing FWnitro and THEN flashing flashme.nds.
Make sure you're using the special flashme version for the DS Lite.
I used the version found here (http://203.218.237.237:2888/ndsgba/download/download.htm).
It's at the bottom of the page.
You can also try the flashme.nds.gba version for the DS Lite found on the same page.

I will try that now, where can i get FWnitro?? thanks for the other link...

I'll repost what happens in the next 5 mins.

Thanks for your help!

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:39 PM
still no good, i think my cart may have got corrupt in the process.

Im gonna format it and try again... there must be a way to fix this, it charges and i can access my cart so surely there is a way back!! i hope!!!

iball
07-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I will try that now, where can i get FWnitro?? thanks for the other link...

I'll repost what happens in the next 5 mins.

Thanks for your help!
FWnitro (http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/nitro/fwnitro/). Get the 1.6b version.
Good place to go for more info on firmware problems and issues (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=57d3694dd0bdd7a3723dfbfa8291aa6e).
GBADEV thread on FWnitro (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8638).

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Still no good,

I keep getting a white screen everytime i try and launch a file off my cart.

any other methods you can think of?

This is a nightmare!!

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
FWnitro (http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/nitro/fwnitro/). Get the 1.6b version.
Good place to go for more info on firmware problems and issues (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=57d3694dd0bdd7a3723dfbfa8291aa6e).
GBADEV thread on FWnitro (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8638).

Thanks for all your help.

I'll try some of these...will post results.

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Seems as though there is no fix for this!!

history...

i am using G6Lite flash cart and a DSlite!

I had flashed it with flashme v7 and then i tried to unistall using noflashme.nds, during this process it reach 18% and i lost contact, on trying to regain contact my DS switched off - i must have shorted it.

Symptons:

1. When i turn on the DS, power lights turns on and screen remains black, with no backlight.
2. battery charges fine.

What i can/can'y do:

1. I can get into my flash cart using holding a+b+select+start before turing power on.
2. I can't launch any program/roms from the cart. Doing so results in both screen in white and nothing happens.
3. Running Flashme.nds or FWnitro install results in same white screens.

Is there any way around this without ripping the DS to pieces and soldering things to it?? I may just have to return it to the shop...

Sokaris
07-22-2006, 05:04 PM
The only way if it really won't recover like mine is the method to pull the bios chip out.

http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3931

I have confirmed this working

_stryder_
07-22-2006, 07:01 PM
The only way if it really won't recover like mine is the method to pull the bios chip out.

http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3931

I have confirmed this working

Thanks Sokaris, i have read about this, but only want to do that as a last resort... Hopefully i can exchange it at the store i bought it from... if not i will do that method.

Thanks

galaxykidgamma
07-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks Sokaris, i have read about this, but only want to do that as a last resort... Hopefully i can exchange it at the store i bought it from... if not i will do that method.

Thanks
Listen, if you can't exchange it at the store you don't necessarily want to get a new one. I had the exact same problem with my g6 (couldn't boot flashme on it after flashme was installed). Seems it's something g6lite can't do.

So I used my M3 and it worked. If you can find someone with a diff. flashcard try that, if not, it may be cheaper to get a M3 or other flashcard rather than a new DS

_stryder_
07-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Listen, if you can't exchange it at the store you don't necessarily want to get a new one. I had the exact same problem with my g6 (couldn't boot flashme on it after flashme was installed). Seems it's something g6lite can't do.

So I used my M3 and it worked. If you can find someone with a diff. flashcard try that, if not, it may be cheaper to get a M3 or other flashcard rather than a new DS

Thats a very good point! thanks for your advice.

Im gonna try and exchange it tmrw, failing that, i'll get hold of an M3.

Thanks man!

galaxykidgamma
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
actually you might just be able to temporarily downgrade your g6's FW (like pre-touchpod) or something old.

if that dosen't work, i wouldn't go w/ m3 unless you already have a cf or sd card, those things are so flipping expensive and you already have a g6, i'm sure supercard can do it and they're like what? 30$?

btw, when i first had my DS flashed, the first time i tried booting the g6 in the DS and it didn't go. Then I put my m3 and and tried running noflashme (for some stupid reason i thought that maybe flashme only worked on the card it flashed from) eventually i gave up on that tho because i couldn't unflash and just stuck the g6 back in and it worked. so don't freak out if it dosen't work the first time

_stryder_
07-24-2006, 10:47 AM
actually you might just be able to temporarily downgrade your g6's FW (like pre-touchpod) or something old.

if that dosen't work, i wouldn't go w/ m3 unless you already have a cf or sd card, those things are so flipping expensive and you already have a g6, i'm sure supercard can do it and they're like what? 30$?

btw, when i first had my DS flashed, the first time i tried booting the g6 in the DS and it didn't go. Then I put my m3 and and tried running noflashme (for some stupid reason i thought that maybe flashme only worked on the card it flashed from) eventually i gave up on that tho because i couldn't unflash and just stuck the g6 back in and it worked. so don't freak out if it dosen't work the first time

I managed to exchange my DSlite today so problem solved for now!! think ill stick to my passcard3 and G6lite for now!! leave flashme alone for the time being!!

Turns out my G6 was nicely corrupted so prpbably using another flash card would have worked!

Thanks everyone!

iball
07-24-2006, 02:59 PM

I managed to exchange my DSlite today so problem solved for now!! think ill stick to my passcard3 and G6lite for now!! leave flashme alone for the time being!!

Turns out my G6 was nicely corrupted so prpbably using another flash card would have worked!

Thanks everyone!
Well, if you have the Passcard v3 then you're good to go.
Unfortunately, until you get your DS Lite flashed with FlashMe v7 you can't really make backups of your carts gamesaves to use with the ROM versions of those games on the G6.
But if you find someone with Supercard or something in your area, try flashing again.

Kirby64
07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
ok...I bricked my ds lite.
...I held start, select, a and b and it didn't work.
then I took out my max media launcher and tryed it. it booted, but the boot menu was sort of glitchy pixels. I selected flashme.nds and...two white screens. this didn't happen when I bricked my ds lite. I opened flash me, shorted the sl1 port, and it immediatly turned off. why can't I boot flashme now?
some info...I'm usin an efa linker...I've succesfully flashed my phat ds...I use the no-pass max media launcher...the boot menu I'm using is called multi.nds...it's a program where you put all your .nds files in the same directory as the program, then you run the program. it compiles all the .nds files into a loader, then saves the files and the loader as darkstar.ds.gba. then you run darkstar.ds.gba and u get a menu to choose the files off of.
I thought mebbe the loader wouldn't work is this bricked state, so I tryed the efa nds loader provided with the efa files, and I tryed it with no loader at all. with the efa loader it showed the menu for a millisecond and then it immediatly turns to two white screens before I can do anything. with no loader, nothing at all...the backlight doesnt come on, nothing. some help, please? i'm soo close to fixing it! and if my dad sees I've turned 150$ into a shiny white brick...let's just say he won't think it's a great magic trick... :p
EDIT: one more thing...do you think it would run the flashme uninstall? if it would...I cud uninstall flashme(which isn't complete actually, it's just a brick with hardly anything at all on it) and then try flashing again.
EDITEDIT: hrmm....it wont' run anything but that one .ds.gba file I have, which is the loader...hrmm...
ooo! what If I had flashme.ds.gba!!!...
it won't load if I just rename it. I need a patcher of some sort...
i tryed that before I tryed the loader, and it didn't work...
I tryed about 5 different patchers...
either it wouldn't load, or it would say "the nds file is corrupt or invalid"
...so could someone provide me with flashme.ds.gba? not the patcher, but the patched file.
...also, make sure it's the flashmev7 that has brightness control. I wants brightness control!!!
thx in advance.

iball
07-25-2006, 02:54 PM
SO you did ZERO research on flashme compatability with your flashcart hardware before trying this?
Sorry, you have WAY too many variables going on there to even attempt to try to help you.
Repost again in the section dedicated to your flashcart hardware and pray.
Google is your only friend right about now.

Kirby64
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
SO you did ZERO research on flashme compatability with your flashcart hardware before trying this?
Sorry, you have WAY too many variables going on there to even attempt to try to help you.
Repost again in the section dedicated to your flashcart hardware and pray.
Google is your only friend right about now.
no, I checked. it's designed to work with it, and it does, usually, but when it's in a bricked state...it can't. listen, all I need for you or someone to do is give me the flashme.ds.gba file. I've tried patching before, it hasn't worked. if you have it, please, send it to me!!!

iball
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
no, I checked. it's designed to work with it, and it does, usually, but when it's in a bricked state...it can't. listen, all I need for you or someone to do is give me the flashme.ds.gba file. I've tried patching before, it hasn't worked. if you have it, please, send it to me!!!
http://203.218.237.237:2888/ndsgba/download/download.htm

Kirby64
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
http://203.218.237.237:2888/ndsgba/download/download.htm
THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!:p

crono
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
You mean you can flash a dslite whit this in gba mode???

iball
07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I have no idea. I never tried to use it.
Didn't need to on my Supercard mini-SD.
I just copied over the flashme.nds file and flat-out ran it.
Worked like a charm.

Kirby64
07-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I have no idea. I never tried to use it.
Didn't need to on my Supercard mini-SD.
I just copied over the flashme.nds file and flat-out ran it.
Worked like a charm.
...well. it worked "like a charm"
...for some reason, with my efa linker, when it was in it's bricked state, nds rom loaders wouldn't work, and that's the only way I can run .nds roms on it. but if I run a .ds.gba on it, it'll run that. u see, because the loader is a .ds.gba, it'll run. and then THAT runs the .nds roms.
yay! now I'm happy!!!
...what the...wow. this is sad.
there's a crack on the left hinge of my ds...see here:
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=75208
just like that. exactly the same.
...I called nintendo and they said since I had a 1 yr warrenty on it, I cud have it fixed. they were really nice and quick about it. they mentioned on the phone that having a my nintendo acccount made it much quicker, and I did...so...yeah. then I asked some questions about wii and hung up. seriously, they have really nice customer service. tomorrow I'll send it in the mail and they'll fix it. I only hope they don't realize I have flashme on it...:D but I said that the system ran fine, I just wanted the crack fixed before it got deeper and worse.
so...I'll stick around here for awhile. anyone here who needs help flashing or recovering a bricked ds, or needs help with nintendo customer service...well, I"m the expert :p and that wasn't THAT many variables...seriously. :p

BobbyBlunt
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
...for some reason, with my efa linker, when it was in it's bricked state, nds rom loaders wouldn't work, and that's the only way I can run .nds roms on it. but if I run a .ds.gba on it, it'll run that. u see, because the loader is a .ds.gba, it'll run. and then THAT runs the .nds roms.
yay! now I'm happy!!!
...I called nintendo and they said since I had a 1 yr warrenty on it, I cud have it fixed. they were really nice and quick about it. they mentioned on the phone that having a my nintendo acccount made it much quicker, and I did...so...yeah. then I asked some questions about wii and hung up. seriously, they have really nice customer service. tomorrow I'll send it in the mail and they'll fix it. I only hope they don't realize I have flashme on it...:D but I said that the system ran fine, I just wanted the crack fixed before it got deeper and worse.
so...I'll stick around here for awhile. anyone here who needs help flashing or recovering a bricked ds, or needs help with nintendo customer service...well, I"m the expert :p and that wasn't THAT many variables...seriously. :p

Nothing was ever "bricked"
You are using the word in the wrong context.

And stay off the drugs.

BobbyBlunt
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM

If the first part of Flashme has been written, then the recovery mode will work without a passkey. But you can't flashme straight from GBA mode.
I think that's what's going on here, not too sure though. :D

MR_COW
07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok.

I tried noflashme on my red original DS. It started at 99%. I tryed for a while to short SL1, and no luck. I figured it froze. So.....I turned my DS off. Of course, it bricked. Now I cant even boot it with a+b+start+select. Am I screwed?

galaxykidgamma
07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
if your DS wasn't flashed previously then yes, i think so. noflashme dosen't have any kind of recovery method

BobbyBlunt
07-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok.

I tried noflashme on my red original DS. It started at 99%. I tryed for a while to short SL1, and no luck. I figured it froze. So.....I turned my DS off. Of course, it bricked. Now I cant even boot it with a+b+start+select. Am I screwed?

There is a way. You can reflash from a parallel port but it involves a bit of soldering and cutting a trace. http://darkfader.net/ds/files/ppflash.zip

If it was a lite you can hotswap the chip into another lite and reflash.

Kirby64
07-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Ok.

W8!!!!
did you try it without anything in the ds slot?!
...that's what happened with my ds lite. it wudn't work with abstartselect with a ds game inserted. I removed it and...whala, it forced it to boot.
...oh, noflashme? I dunno then...but try it without a ds card in anyway.

Kirby64
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
no, stupid :P my flash cart is designed to run .ds.gba files as .nds files...and since that flashme.ds.gba file is really just a renamed and patched .nds file...yeah.

Kirby64
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Nothing was ever "bricked"
You are using the word in the wrong context.

And stay off the drugs.
yes, it twas bricked...
it wouldn't turn on...the power light wud, but nothing else.
and...I'm a little young for drugs, don't you think? :p

BobbyBlunt
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
yes, it twas bricked...
it wouldn't turn on...the power light wud, but nothing else.
and...I'm a little young for drugs, don't you think? :p

If it's working now, and you didn't have to use the parallel port flashing technique, then IT WAS NEVER BRICKED
:D

iball
07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
If it's working now, and you didn't have to use the parallel port flashing technique, then IT WAS NEVER BRICKED
I concur with this analysis of the situation.

Kirby64
07-30-2006, 09:41 AM
....I'm confused. you mean with the SL1 port? yes, I still had to do that when I pulled flashme up again, it only had gotten to 1% :p

tekknosk8er
08-13-2006, 01:14 AM
yay! now I'm happy!!!

Hey since you have a flashed DS and you sent it in for repair through nintendo maybe you can ease my mind. I also flashed my DS lite and it also has the crack on the left hinge oddly enough. Did you send in your DS lite with the Flashme Firmware on it? Have you gotten it back yet? Please give me the lowdown on how this works. :confused: I am afraid of doing this due to I believe it voids the warranty even though its a non-related thing. I just dont wanna send it out with the Flashme Firmware on it and have them tell me I am stuck with a broken hinge. Other thing I have been considering doing to before I send it in for repairs... I know there is a "Stealth" Flashme version out there that leaves the Epilipsy warning on startup. I also was considering finding an orginal factory firmware for DS lite (not sure where to find that one).

gama
08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey since you have a flashed DS and you sent it in for repair through nintendo maybe you can ease my mind. I also flashed my DS lite and it also has the crack on the left hinge oddly enough. Did you send in your DS lite with the Flashme Firmware on it? Have you gotten it back yet? Please give me the lowdown on how this works. :confused: I am afraid of doing this due to I believe it voids the warranty even though its a non-related thing. I just dont wanna send it out with the Flashme Firmware on it and have them tell me I am stuck with a broken hinge. Other thing I have been considering doing to before I send it in for repairs... I know there is a "Stealth" Flashme version out there that leaves the Epilipsy warning on startup. I also was considering finding an orginal factory firmware for DS lite (not sure where to find that one).
They usually confiscate your DS and since they know your address, they'll setup a raid at your place. Nah, I'm just screwing with you :D, nintendo completely replaces the cracked hinge DS with a new one rather than fixing it. So I don't think they would even look at the firmware. This is because they made newer batches of DS with better hinge construction so they'll just replace your DS with a new one if they see the broken hinge. However I'm not sure about the policies of different DS factory.

City Ninja
08-26-2006, 01:19 AM
guys, this sucks, I messed up and shorted the DSL (GF's) , it got to 2% then shut down, I rebooted, but since I'm using G6LITE it freezes on the touchscreen part, I dont know how else to run it, can I run it in gba mode?

Help me please :)

so in short.

*g6lite (latest firmware)
*messed up flashing, shutoff (after 2%)
*abselect start it without a ds game (shows g6touchpod atop, and the flashme underneath (in the game select window)
* unable to select the game (I'm guessing this is because of the touchscreen)

need some way to access the file :(

thank you advance.

Falkentyne
08-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Flash either the original 4.0 beta firmware (the one that has both english and chinese on it), or one of the 4.0a-4.0c (english or chinese depending on your model) firmwares.

Those didn't have the battery indicators on the main menu, and that's what is "crashing" the G6 in recovery mode--it is trying to access parts of the NDS that are not available.

The problem is you STILL can't run a NDS file in this mode.

A post above said that you may be able to run a .DS.GBA file (although true GBA files won't work), but I have no idea how to convert a NDS file to a DS.GBA file.

City Ninja
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Cool! so I guess there is hope, but my problem is that when the g6loads up in recovery mode (it will not load up anyother way unless I do abselectstart) thats when it crashes.

I dont understand how I can reflash it, unless there's a pc program that will flash the G6Lite?

Thanx for your time and patience.

meanwhile I'm on the google search for the specific firmware that you said.

PS: I did manage to create flashme.nds.gba, so I guess half the work is done!
PPS: hmm I can flash the g6lite on my other DS that works with the beta software...let me try.

UPDATE

I managed to to reflash the g6lite with the old version.
1. I got the g6lite to boot and let me select the files.
2. I got flashme.nds to load
3. When Flashme.nds loads, I get two white screens.
4. I tried going into GBA mode so I could use flashme.nds.gba
5. When trying to get to GBA mode I get two white screens.

Falkentyne
08-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to load, unfortunately. Tried messing around with it this morning. even tried versions of flashme I appended with ndsloader.bin and renamed to .nds.gba, etc which of course, only loaded in normal boot. Recovery mode=instant night light.

Why don't you email the G6 team about this? Explain the problem carefully (remember English is not their native language). But don't hold your breath--the G6 Lite was simply not designed to operate with 1% of the nintendo firmware active -.-

City Ninja
08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
oh well, luckily I spent 20 bucks for the Gamestop.

neways I got a new one and got it right this time (the other time i was moving it all about wildly :-p I'm such a poon)

Omegatron
08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I havent bricked an ndsl...(i lost power durning flashing but kept my cool and used recovery mode) but how would you fix a bricked ndsl...( i see ppl wanting to buy them...)

How about instead of trying to make some money we spread the knowledge

BobbyBlunt
09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I havent bricked an ndsl...(i lost power durning flashing but kept my cool and used recovery mode) but how would you fix a bricked ndsl...( i see ppl wanting to buy them...)

How about instead of trying to make some money we spread the knowledge
You can do a hot swap with the firmware chip on lites.
And if the fuses are blown you can bridge them over again.
It's all in this thread I think.

bony_limas
09-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know what's wrong anytime I inserted M3 lite or GBA Movie player into my Flashed DS Lite, the fuses are blown?

I sent it to Nintento Warranty for Repair, luckily they did and didn't charge me a cent.

I also posted a new thread in the FlashMe section.

Can anyone help me please.

Bony

HurricaneGame
09-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Flashed a NDS Lite 2 days ago wasn't a problem it was @ 100% in a second or so :) .

Lasborg
10-11-2006, 12:46 PM
S**T

Just flashed my DSL without any trouble and that was nice.

Wanted to make this DIY sleepmod: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=31129

I made it, put it in and tried to boot up. and nothing happens.
Now I cannot turn on power. Even without any cards in slot 1 or 2.

Have I totally bricked my DSL? Have I blown a fuse? or what?

Do I have any chance of fixing this horrible situation

edgie
10-13-2006, 03:25 AM
I hope i didn't brick my DS beyond repairable !!
I tried to flashed it and the process stopped at 9%!! I didn't do anything wrong? THen I tried to reboot it using A+B+start+select and it won't reboot !!!
What can I do?!!!! I really don't wanna get a new DS...

BobbyBlunt
10-13-2006, 05:30 AM
I hope i didn't brick my DS beyond repairable !!
I tried to flashed it and the process stopped at 9%!! I didn't do anything wrong? THen I tried to reboot it using A+B+start+select and it won't reboot !!!
What can I do?!!!! I really don't wanna get a new DS...

ok what flashcart are you using for recovery?
some flashcarts, such as the G6 will not work in recovery mode. The DS doesn't initialize enough modules in recovery mode for the G6 to work.

Do you have access to a different cart?

Omegatron
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
did it power off on its own or did you shut it off...If it powerd off on its own you prolly blew a fuse...and if you turned it off on your own..then you didnt read enough about flashme

gommy
01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
ok what flashcart are you using for recovery?
some flashcarts, such as the G6 will not work in recovery mode. The DS doesn't initialize enough modules in recovery mode for the G6 to work.

Do you have access to a different cart?

I tried using a G6 lite and it locked up at 3%. I can now get it to start in GBA mode but it locks up from there (cant use cursors etc). What type of flash card is known to work so i can get my hands on one to reflash it!

Thank you.

DX1020
04-28-2007, 01:11 AM
i got a a max media dock can i flash it? and ive read a few things but dont get it whats so good about flashing ur ds is the only thing is that u dont have to use a pass me card or what ever u call it im kinda new at this but im not that new. lol

bgmnt
04-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Flashing with an MMD wouldn't be very helpful. The MMD is the one device that FlashMe cannot boot, so you'd still have to use your Max Media Launcher nopass device to load it. In addition, because FlashMe can't load it, if your DS turns off in the middle of the process, you're screwed since you can't boot the MMD in emergency recovery mode.

On the MMD, you'd gain the following benefits from flashing:
1. removal of the Health and Warning screen
2. if your DS got bricked, you'd at least have some protection, though you'd need to use a different slot-2 card to utilize it
3. load homebrew wireless through Download Play using a compatible wifi card (hard to find nowadays) and the WMB application (Wireless MultiBoot)

In your case, I wouldn't really recommend it too much.

linkenski
06-30-2007, 03:53 AM
I was stupid enough to brick one, i got the shakes and lost contact with the SL1 at 1% (didn't touch the problem spot), no matter how much i tried it wouldn't resume i then accepted my brick.
i had the same problem, but then i read about alluminium foil worked. so i tried it, and it worked so great!

spooner
12-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Just thought I'd say....
I once bricked my dsl, but after replacing the wifi module I saved it!
New wifi module with firmware loaded-15 bucks off ebay!
It seems that dsl can't boot if the wifi chip is removed or if the firmware within the chip is corrupt e.g flashing?....
I'm thinking this chip must contain the firmware...
So how did I brick it? well, I changed the case and as I did the wifi module got knocked off... pushed it in and it works now!
If you need to know where wifi chip is, it's the thing in your ds with a piece of black foam on it... just pop it out and stick in a new 1.
U need to open up your ds tho... look up how on google it's pretty simple.
So If nothing works then give it a try! If this has happened to you and you have never flashed your dsl then this is the likely problem.. doesn't take much for the wifi module to get loose and 'brick' your dsl!
Thanks!

spooner
12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
S**T

Just flashed my DSL without any trouble and that was nice.

Wanted to make this DIY sleepmod: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=31129

I made it, put it in and tried to boot up. and nothing happens.
Now I cannot turn on power. Even without any cards in slot 1 or 2.

Have I totally bricked my DSL? Have I blown a fuse? or what?

Do I have any chance of fixing this horrible situation

Firstly,most likely THIS IS FIXABLE and you have probably not destroyed your dsl forever given you simply loaded a program!
all of the following have happened to my dsl and with the exception of the dreaded red light error I was able to fix all of the following errors:
Ok:
!. MOST LIKELY .If your dsl gives you a steady green light on power on and the screens stay black then do this:
just replace the wifi chip this contains the os/firmware, new one off ebay is just 15 bucks it's very easy to replace but you need to open your dsl and just plug in a new one no soldering or anything hard just look up how to open it
( I have done this before but know exactly where the wifi thingy is, u should not need to unscrew the motherboard , just remove the back.
In 99% of cases this should unbrick your dsl so definitely give it a try but your going to lose the flashed software so you will have to flash again

2 If the green light flashes then there is a problem with the connection to your screens, open dsl up and ensure that both ribbon cables are secure ( u shouldn't get this if u only uploaded a program) I have fixed this before not difficult just fiddly so take your time and don't touch the touchscreen connector, just the two large ribbon connectors that go to the screens

3. if the red light flashes then your fuses are blown. Unfortunately if u can't solder this is difficult and even if you can solder the components are very small. some people have bridged the fuse but I would not reccomend this.
fuses break for a reason, if you bridge them then you run the risk of completely frying your ds.

And lastly if none of the above works then you can get a new motherboard off ebay for about 40-50 bucks and install it not too bad but the hard bit connecting the touch screen because the connector is easy to break as I once found out!
But if you don't care about the touch screen that much then sure replace it it's simple without the dreaded touch screen connection!

spooner
12-31-2011, 04:11 AM
just replace wifi module