PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to put GCOS on a memcard and boot with AR?

poopdedoop
03-01-2005, 08:18 AM
i was reading a guide about Viper GC and stuff and one part it talks about using anaconda on a normal memorycard and booting it with an ActionReplay.. now I have an AR... but i don't think anaconda is as good as GCOS.... so i was wondering if there is a way to put GCOS on a normal Memory card and boot it like that.... I would buy a SDcard but i have no money and I am already saving up for Mini dvd's.

Skunk123punk
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Follow the guide at ;

http://www.cubehacker.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=5

Then If you have a version of Action Replay higher than 1.06 edit the master code and change to

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

This will allow you to run a dol from the mem card in slot 2.

Next use the ctr-gcs app to upload the gci included in the GCOS archive.
(ctr-gcs -r b GCOS_GCI.gci)

Boot Action replay, Start game, Open close lid, select GCOS dol from list boot backup.

Hope this helps.

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
thanks!......how can i tell what version my AR is?

edit: and that link doesn't work :p

Skunk123punk
03-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Sorry;

http://www.cubehacker.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=5

press "Z" on the main Action Replay screen and it will display the version

poopdedoop
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
awsome! will it erase my memcard if i have stuff on it?

Skunk123punk
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Certainly will, use ctr-gcs to back up your mem card first, also best to use a genuine Nintendo 59 block card as 3rd party cards can be a pain.

ZildjianKX
03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
This is how I'm doing it now, saves a ton of money with not buying the SD card adapter, and no hassle of using phantasy star online each time.

Skunk123punk
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I've not had time to try much yet but on the DVD_Loader Z80 made, anoconda auto boots, does anyone know how easy it is to implement this so GCOS could autoboot

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
ok.. i can't seem to send the file over..... i folowed the guide but the GCOS_GCI file isn't there.... any ideas?

this is what it said in the console for sending it

C:\DOCUME~1\USER\DESKTOP\GCOS\CTR-GCS>psul ctr-gcs.dol -r b GCOS_GCI.gci
PSUL 1.1 Copyright (C) 2003, Titanik of Crazy Nation

Starting server on 192.168.1.100...
Waiting for connection...
Served DNS query from 192.168.1.32...
Connected (US)...
Sending file........................
Running file...
C:\DOCUME~1\USER\DESKTOP\GCOS\CTR-GCS>

EDIT: ok i got it to show something on the tv.. this is what it says

GCS 1.0 by CrowTRobo
Not Connected

shawn112233
03-01-2005, 08:44 PM
shawn to the rescue!!!

ok first thing u want to do is load dol using psul ctr-gcs.dol(do not include the stuff u put after it)

after the dol is loaded u should see a screen that says

GCS 1.0 by CrowTRobo
Not Connected

now open up ctr-gcs.exe in ms-dos and type ctr-gcs -ib memcard.raw to store ur memory card onto ur pc.

then u should type ctr-gcs -r GCOS_GCI.gci to send the file to your memory card!

make sure ctr-gcs.exe, ctr-gcs.dol, psul.exe and GCOS_GCI.gci are all in the same directory!!

Hope this helps!

Skunk123punk
03-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Yes as shawn says above but dont forget to run the install.dol after backing up your card. You can then run ctr-gcs to send the GCOS GCI

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by shawn112233
shawn to the rescue!!!

ok first thing u want to do is load dol using psul ctr-gcs.dol(do not include the stuff u put after it)

after the dol is loaded u should see a screen that says

GCS 1.0 by CrowTRobo
Not Connected

now open up ctr-gcs.exe in ms-dos and type ctr-gcs -ib memcard.raw to store ur memory card onto ur pc.

then u should type ctr-gcs -r GCOS_GCI.gci to send the file to your memory card!

make sure ctr-gcs.exe, ctr-gcs.dol, psul.exe and GCOS_GCI.gci are all in the same directory!!

Hope this helps!

ohh ok i'll try that right now!!!!

poopdedoop
03-02-2005, 02:52 PM
awsome i got it on.. but now what? I have all these files on my memcard now.... AR file, GCOS_PSO.gci and the files that install.dol put on.. and whne i go into y action replay and choose the action replay codes, i open the lid (when it asks) close it and it just loads AR again....

Z80
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I highly recommend just using my plain AR_DVDR_LOADER_V02.BIN image as if you are only playing local/domestic backups you'll have no problems at all where GCOS as I've tested many times has trouble booting the same backups on the same Cube where my AR on the same cube same backups loads them perfectly.

I have not tested GCOS1.3 yet though.

spcmnspff
03-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by poopdedoop
awsome i got it on.. but now what? I have all these files on my memcard now.... AR file, GCOS_PSO.gci and the files that install.dol put on.. and whne i go into y action replay and choose the action replay codes, i open the lid (when it asks) close it and it just loads AR again....

Did you edit the master code (m) to the universal one posted above? Otherwise it will load the AR again and you have to select start game.

poopdedoop
03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
hmm nope i havn't tried that... i will now.

EDIT: ok i tried that and this is what happens.

it tells me to open the lid, i do it, then put AR in and close it... so i close the lid.

then the system just goes to a black screen.

spcmnspff
03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I have the same problem using Z80's memory card data. I will have to try the GCOS 1.3 on both my 1.08 and 1.12U ARs.

spcmnspff
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Like was said earlier if you have an AR greater than 1.06 you need to edit the (M) code to the one posted earlier. Then it will work. I just tried it with GCOS 1.3 and it does load.

GameSphere
03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
When it says open lid, are you guys taking the AR disc out and reinserting it?

This is what I do:

Run AR.
Open lid.
Close lid.
<black screen>
Wait until laser stops.
Swap disc.
Done.

poopdedoop
03-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by GameSphere
When it says open lid, are you guys taking the AR disc out and reinserting it?

This is what I do:

Run AR.
Open lid.
Close lid.
<black screen>
Wait until laser stops.
Swap disc.
Done.

what i do is run AR, then it asks to open lid and insert action replay so i just open and close the lid then it loads AR again and nothing happens... if i change the (m) code it just goes to a black screen...

spcmnspff
03-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Here's what I did:

Followed the directions at the cubehacker link
Uploaded the GCOS_GCI.gci file to the memory card using
ctr-gcs B -r GCOS_GCS.gci
Edited the (m) code with the one above
Loaded AR
Started game with Action Replay selected
Open Lid
Close Lid
Boots dol selector menu
Select GCOS dol
Boots GCOS

If that doesn't work try to reformat the card and load a new AR image to it. Then repeat the steps.

WisdomWolf
03-03-2005, 12:15 AM
I am guessing that this doesn't support the 1019. I was trying to backup my memcard, but I can't get the damn thing to work it either locks up or tells me my card is corrupt.

crazyshiza
03-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I got this working on a Hip Gear 256 block mem card using ctr-gcs, so it doesn't necessarily require an official Nintendo mem-card

andrewober
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
One thing you might have forgotten is to put a checkmark next to the bootloader code (you know where the (m) is in AR? Put a checkmark in the entry below it)

Thats what I forgot to do, and mine took off right afterwards.

Skunk123punk
03-03-2005, 03:02 PM
what i do is run AR, then it asks to open lid and insert action replay so i just open and close the lid then it loads AR again and nothing happens... if i change the (m) code it just goes to a black screen...

Check this thread, I've just posted a backup of my memcard thats running GCOS1.3

http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=33543#post33543

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
is it for a memcard 59? i only have a spare 251 card and i can't copy my animal crossing file over to my other 251 card...

Skunk123punk
03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
is it for a memcard 59? i only have a spare 251 card and i can't copy my animal crossing file over to my other 251 card...

Yes it's a backup of a 59 block card, have you tried using 'ctr-gcs -b# filename' to backup your animal crossing save to your PC, you could then restore the save to any memcard.

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
will that memcard 59 file work on a 251 card?

crazyshiza
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
It works for me on a 251 block card

poopdedoop
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
well i put it on my memcard 251 and well.. it didn't work

when i go into the memcard manager it says that the card needs to be formatted and if AR after i open and close the lid it just goes to black......

Skunk123punk
03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Are you using a original Nintendo mem card, never tried running the image on a 251 card so can't really offer any advise on why your having so much trouble getting the card to boot.

Is your Action replay PAL or NTSC,?

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
ok i managed to get GCOS_GCI on the card and boot it up.. when it goes into the menu i see ipl.dol and GCOS_PSO.dol when i pic GCOS_PSO.dol the screen flashes
Card Read
DOL Relocatte

and it just does that.

i did try it with the anaconda file but that just gets to the DOL Relocate part and just stays there.....

Skunk123punk
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Bloody hell, you are having a hard time of it arn't you mate. I'll say it again are you using a Nintendo mem card because if not this is the only possible cause of the problems you are having.

Either way, good luck
Skunk

poopdedoop
03-04-2005, 06:30 AM
yes i am using an official Nintendo 251 block memory card. My AR is v 1.06 and it is NTSC.

poopdedoop
03-04-2005, 02:11 PM
EVERYONE I GOT IT WORKING!

thanks so much for all your help! I got it working with GCOS v1.4 lol This is great

thanks again for everyones help!!!!!

(now all i need is some mini dvd-r's :P )

GameSphere
03-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Please post your image for everyone to benefit. Thanks!

poopdedoop
03-04-2005, 03:58 PM
will do!

Skunk123punk
03-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Please post your image for everyone to benefit. Thanks!

Gcos 1.4 memcard image

Unzip, CTR-GSC -ir b GCOS14mem.bin

Skunk

poopdedoop
03-04-2005, 04:05 PM
okie dokie here is my file

it is for a memcard 251. and the (m) code is not altered ( i didn't need to change it)

enjoy

GameSphere
03-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks! much appreciated!

Skunk is your image for 59block?

nvm, I just read the thread over. Thanks again.

Skunk123punk
03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks! much appreciated!

Skunk is your image for 59block?

Yes it is mate, 59 block.

Skunk

GameSphere
03-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Are some backups working better with the new GCOS?

villain1
03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks Skunk & poopdedoop

Skunk123punk
03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Are some backups working better with the new GCOS?

On a drive version 8 they most certainly are.

Skunk

GameSphere
03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
How do you find out which drive you have w/o viper?

I cannot believe this. I just tested out skunk's image and my DREs are gone. I used the same RE4 disk I've been testing with and it's running fine now. Tested my other backups which were giving me the DREs and they are actually working.

Sheesh, i knew my burner/media was good! Thanks!

ps I probably had a drive 8....[edit] I should looke before posting. I do have a drive 8 as reported by GCOS. My DRE problem all along.

Skunk123punk
03-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Nice one GameSphere,

Good to hear 1,4 is having the same positive effect on your cube as on mine, I have two cubes one drive 6 which would play nearly every copy thrown at it and a new Black cube drive 8 which although seemed to run copies okay would DRE after about 2 Mins. Whith GCOS 1.4 tested Mario Power Tennis for over 1 hour and no DRE also all of my NTSC and PAL copies seem to be running fine.

Any changes I'll let you know,

good news me thinks

Skunk

GameSphere
03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
That's the same ordeal I've been dealing with all week. Some games would run fine and some would DRE after a few minutes. This is an awesome release!

Mookdog
03-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Ok I got the dol on my mem card boot up AR then it gets to the black screen where I select the dol I select the GCOS dol and it said card read and thats it what can I be doing wrong ?

Mookdog

AT6767
03-06-2005, 08:10 AM
hey can i do this ar swap with using a codejunkies max mem card? So instead of messing up a sd card and mem card i can take this mem card load it straight from pc and load on to mem card the load it to gamecube? I am still on the fence about ordering the ar max evo for gamecube

Atreyu
03-06-2005, 01:10 PM
hi there, i haven't bought an action replay yet.. but i do have a copy of the Action replay 1.08. DOL file. and i thought before i get it, i just want to see it working before i invest.

now i have the GCOS_PSO.DOL file on my memory card. which is a 251 memory card in my second slot and i can load up AR fine with PSO

but this is where im stumped..

im supposed to change the MASTER CODE to
ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

... HUH?

where do i access the master code?
can someone give some quick pointers?

after this is edited..
im supposed to START GAME and it should ask me for a DOL file to run, which i point to GCOS_PSO.. which should be all cool.. but its that middle bit im stuck on.

can anyone help me out please?

poopdedoop
03-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
hi there, i haven't bought an action replay yet.. but i do have a copy of the Action replay 1.08. DOL file. and i thought before i get it, i just want to see it working before i invest.

now i have the GCOS_PSO.DOL file on my memory card. which is a 251 memory card in my second slot and i can load up AR fine with PSO

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

... HUH?

after this is edited..
im supposed to START GAME and it should ask me for a DOL file to run, which i point to GCOS_PSO.. which should be all cool.. but its that middle bit im stuck on.

under Action Replay in the game list you will see 2 things. Level 2 Boot Loader or somethig and (m) in green. Highlight (m) ands press Y and you will go to the edit screen. don't change the name. jsut go to done when you see a keyboard and (m) then the next one you will enter the code.

Atreyu
03-06-2005, 01:43 PM
ok i went to options
ran the update
then loaded install.dol thru PSO
and now there is an option in US games called ACTION REPLAY

i went in there and there is a boot loader..
i edited the (M) and inserted the codes

i then went to START GAME
it said
OPEN DOOR
then
INSERT ACTION REPLAY DISC AND CLOSE DOOR

if i do that.. it has a spaz cos i don't actually have the AR disc :/

but is what is normally supposed to happen?

spcmnspff
03-06-2005, 06:41 PM
You actually don't need to insert the AR disc, any original game should work fine. If it works you should see a black screen with 4 or so lines of text which can be selected.

AT6767
03-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Is it possible to load the files to the mem card that hooksup to the pc? So that way no need for PSO or SD card and what not. Is this possible? Cause i bought the action replay max evo so i was wondering if that is possible and if so can i use cheat while loading a backed up game???

Atreyu
03-06-2005, 10:59 PM
could someone with PSO please give this AR 1.08 DOL a try and see if it works for them? i just want to know if its my setup or something funky with the dol file

thankyou

also, once ive run the INSTALL.DOL how many cheats should be listed under ACTION REPLAY?

spcmnspff
03-07-2005, 12:35 PM
The 1.08 disc works, so it should work with just the DOL, but I could be wrong. There should be only two cheats, the (m) code and the level 1 bootcode or something similar.

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
yep there are 2 codes like you said.

ive entered the code 3 lines of code in the (M) and ticked the bootloader.

then when i START GAME it says open the lid then close the lid, when i close the lid it starts reading the disc and my screen goes off.. and disc keeps spinning.

i checked the memory card and all the files are there that should be there.

spcmnspff: could you please put me at ease, and use grab the 1.08 DOL and try it for yourself. or anyone else who was a proper AR disc that works for them and PSO, could they try. pleassssssse!

Chambers
03-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by spcmnspff
Like was said earlier if you have an AR greater than 1.06 you need to edit the (M) code to the one posted earlier. Then it will work. I just tried it with GCOS 1.3 and it does load.

Question. Editting the Master Code, will I still be able to use AR like normally when I want to?

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 02:36 PM
when people talk about editing 'THE MASTER CODE'

are they talking about the (M) code under the ACTION REPLAY 'game' that is created from loader.dol

or

is there another code somewhere else that im missing?

The_Legend
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

... HUH?

after this is edited..

well, it seems that I'm doing something wrong, as I'm not able to do this. I loaded the ar108.dol you've posted, but when I put my MC 251 at slot b to create the file, it hangs. what am I doing wrong?

p.s.: my MC251 have some of my saves, I've backued up them, but they're still in mey MC251

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 02:47 PM
i needed 2 memory cards.
1 in my A slot to boot PSO from
and 1 in my B slot (an original nintendo card) to save the AR files to

The_Legend
03-07-2005, 02:52 PM
i needed 2 memory cards.
1 in my A slot to boot PSO from
and 1 in my B slot (an original nintendo card) to save the AR files to

edit (the sentence was terrible :P) : was the slot b one cleared, without anything?

edit2: is there anyway I can test it with only one MC? I really want to try it, but PSO REQUIRES a MC, so, can I just use it for both?

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
the one in my "B SLOT" has some game saves on it. It doesn't really matter, just as long as there is some room for AR to write its files. Both memory cards were in, when i booted PSO

The_Legend
03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
guess I'll just have to wait until I get a second one...

spcmnspff
03-07-2005, 06:58 PM
yep there are 2 codes like you said.

ive entered the code 3 lines of code in the (M) and ticked the bootloader.

then when i START GAME it says open the lid then close the lid, when i close the lid it starts reading the disc and my screen goes off.. and disc keeps spinning.

i checked the memory card and all the files are there that should be there.

spcmnspff: could you please put me at ease, and use grab the 1.08 DOL and try it for yourself. or anyone else who was a proper AR disc that works for them and PSO, could they try. pleassssssse!

I just tried it and it works fines. It seems your memory card is not configured correctly. Your best bet would be to format the card you are going to use and then load a new AR card image to it. Then repeat the steps to get the gcos on it.

electronrancher
03-07-2005, 08:40 PM
yep, i found you need a blank card. when i tried to delete all the files off an old one, samson's loader got written to the wrong place - ie rolling black screen of death.

i made a backup of my card with gcs, then filled the file with 0's in a hex editor. power up with lid open and gc asks to format the card. NOW update/reset with AR, and you're set for adding the bootloader.

ps- non-official memcards didn't work either. needed a nintendo 59 or 251.

pps - sure, GCOS works when booted off a memcard. why did they include gci then if not?!?! ;)

The_Legend
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
and how would I do to GCOS load without having to pass through the "SDLoad menu" or whatever it's called? I mean, the same thing someone did with the original anaconda04

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 10:35 PM
i formated my card and did the AR update and then did the loader.dol and then upped gcos.gci and then edited the master code of 'ACTION REPLAY' but i still get the same problem when i run AR from a dol or a backed up disc.

im hoping its the fact im running it from a dol or backed up disc that its not working.

spcmnspff
03-07-2005, 10:53 PM
What disc are you using? You need an original to insert when AR tells you to. I've tested it with your dol file and it worked fine.

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
What disc are you using? You need an original to insert when AR tells you to. I've tested it with your dol file and it worked fine.

Im using PSO. and ive also tried Picmin 1 both PAL discs. when i close the lid my screen goes blue (which is what my tv does when there is no signal)

So can you tell me the exact procedure you used from the very beginning to get AR working from a dol please?

Bent
03-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I was having problems until I figured out I was trying to install an old version of the bootloader that I found. I have an AR v1.08 as well. Make sure you are using the most recent version, you can find it on the dextrose forums.

Atreyu
03-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bent
I was having problems until I figured out I was trying to install an old version of the bootloader that I found. I have an AR v1.08 as well. Make sure you are using the most recent version, you can find it on the dextrose forums.

could you post the bootloader that you used please?
or a link to it?

spcmnspff
03-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Im using PSO. and ive also tried Picmin 1 both PAL discs. when i close the lid my screen goes blue (which is what my tv does when there is no signal)

So can you tell me the exact procedure you used from the very beginning to get AR working from a dol please?

All I did was upload the dol using PSO, then selected the codes and hit start game. Maybe try and use Freeloader first to make sure it goes to PAL.

Bent
03-08-2005, 02:49 AM
could you post the bootloader that you used please?
or a link to it?

Sure, let me see if I can find it a second...

Here you go.

The_Legend
03-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by The_Legend
and how would I do to GCOS load without having to pass through the "SDLoad menu" or whatever it's called? I mean, the same thing someone did with the original anaconda04

is there anyone who can answer my question?

badsheepy
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Here is a raw memcard images with GCOS on it ready to be written to a memory card. It has the universal mastercode as posted on this forum so you should be able to reboot and itll work straight away.

Note: if you simply want to replace gcos with the dol of your choice, rename the dol to level3.dol then run dol2gci on it and then just upload the file to your memory card.

poopdedoop
03-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Did you edit the master code (m) to the universal one posted above? Otherwise it will load the AR again and you have to select start game.

no i didn't chnage the code..

The_Legend
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by badsheepy
Here is a raw memcard images with GCOS on it ready to be written to a memory card. It has the universal mastercode as posted on this forum so you should be able to reboot and itll work straight away.

Note: if you simply want to replace gcos with the dol of your choice, rename the dol to level3.dol then run dol2gci on it and then just upload the file to your memory card.

so it will boot GCOS without having to pass through the SRLoad GUI? is that it?

badsheepy
03-08-2005, 08:36 PM
yep that is right, goes action replay -> GCOS

tempest
03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
EDIT - Read to end of thread - I fixed my problems

Finally I got the communication issue solved, and can now run ctr-gcs!
Now the weird thing - ALL my cards are reported as corrupt by ctr-gcs.dol on cube side except my origanl AR card.
Nintendo 251 block - GCS says corrupt - cube can read just fine
Nintendo 59 block - GCS says corrupt - cube can read just fine
Gameshark Gamsaves (EMS USB card) - GCS says corrupt - cube can read just fine
AR purple sticker - GCS CAN read - Cube says it cannot!

blank.raw image turned out to be bigger than 59 block so I could not use it to overwrite the card. What I did was take skunk's image (GCOS14mem.bin) and put it on the 59 block card. IT WORKED!
loads via AR and boots GCOS!

THANKS SKUNK!!!!

So now GCS still says card is corrupt -but now so does the cube!?
But it works, so who cares ;-)
Although when GCOSv1.5 arrives it appears I have no way to update this card, except thru the generosity of guys like skunk (and many others) who post images of thier cards here. THANKS ALL!

One more thing has anyone tried putting the SDload codes on the same card, seems like it should work right. Just to have it all on one card would be nice

harrypotter
03-09-2005, 11:49 PM
tag

GameSphere
03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by harrypotter
tag

What is the purpose of "tag"? I have seen you post this on different threads. What's the meaning of it?

PC_Arcade
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Has anyone managed to get this working on a v1.14 AR?

I cannot get this to work at all :(

Action replay wont even show up in my codes list.

HELP!!

nukleuzdj
03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by PC_Arcade

HELP!!

works fine on mine (v1.14 AR)

PC_Arcade
03-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Which of the images did you use?

And am I right that this is the way to do it

Load PSO and use ctr-gcs to upload the correct image.

reboot and load AR

Select Action Replay codes> US> Action replay?

is that right?

The_Legend
03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Which of the images did you use?

And am I right that this is the way to do it

Load PSO and use ctr-gcs to upload the correct image.

reboot and load AR

Select Action Replay codes> US> Action replay?

is that right?

I guess you must put a different Master Code. but I don't what it is.

PC_Arcade
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I guess you must put a different Master Code. but I don't what it is.

I can't put in a different master code, there's no Action Replay save to put it in to :(

tempest
03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
I have AR 1.07
so I assume Skunk's image was universal...
If I have time tonight I plan on adding the SDload codes to my Loader card.
If I get it done I will post an image:
Nintendo 59 blk - AR SDload/Samson's Loader, GCoSv1.4

GameSphere
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM

HELP!!

Use badsheepy's image from the top of this page. Restore that image to your 59 memcard via ctr-gcs. I'm too lazy but read this thread also

http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4214

Good luck. I'm using 1.14 AR also.

PC_Arcade
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I think the problem is lying with ctr-gcs, I can't seem to get it to upload the file, the command i'm using is as follows :
ctr-gcs b -ir ar_memcard_hack_1.14.raw

But when I follow that with:

ctr-gcs b -l

The card shows as corrup and on rebooting is empty

Is there anything else I can do?

GameSphere
03-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I think the problem is lying with ctr-gcs, I can't seem to get it to upload the file, the command i'm using is as follows :
ctr-gcs b -ir ar_memcard_hack_1.14.raw

But when I follow that with:

ctr-gcs b -l

The card shows as corrup and on rebooting is empty

Is there anything else I can do?

Use this file. It has a bunch of batch files and a somewhat gui to help you restore the image. Easiest way is to rename the ar_memcard_hack_1.114.raw to slotb.raw.

Choose Restore memcard on B in the options. Can't remember where I found this, but it uses either psul or PSO (PSO which is faster). Read the readme.

BTW, when you restore the image the GC memcard manager will report it's corrupt. It's not really corrupt it just can't read it correctly.

BTW again, put the slotb.raw in the same folder as this.

Good luck!

nukleuzdj
03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
important: Make Sure any cards you want to use with GCS are inserted before you turn the console on!! otherwise it will not see them

and GCS reads AR memory cards??

tempest
03-10-2005, 09:06 PM
OK today everything works fine!
My problem was removing/inserting cards after pwr up.

So now I have a Nintendo 59 block card with AR codes for SDload AND Samson's loader PLUS GCoSv1.4!!

I added the SDload codes to Skunk's image
Thanks again Skunk!
Here it is, hope it works for others - I tried to test it but I only have 1 Nintendo 59 block card and the Action Replay card does not work with ctr-gcs (at least mine does not)

ZildjianKX
03-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Skunk123punk
Gcos 1.4 memcard image

Unzip, CTR-GSC -ir b GCOS14mem.bin

Skunk

This image worked fine for me (great since I wanted one with a boot menu) but...

Is it normal for the gamecube to think that the card needs to be formated? GCS lists it fine, but I can't figure out how to delete a dol off the memory card if not through the gamecube...

GameSphere
03-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
This image worked fine for me (great since I wanted one with a boot menu) but...

Is it normal for the gamecube to think that the card needs to be formated? GCS lists it fine, but I can't figure out how to delete a dol off the memory card if not through the gamecube...

Use CTR-GCS to delete it.

ZildjianKX
03-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Use CTR-GCS to delete it.

Dumb question, how do you delete something with ctr-gcs? I just see:

-l List files on memcard
-b# Backup file # to <file>
-r Restore <file> to memcard
-ib Backup raw image of memcard
-ir Restore raw image of memcard
-c Configure DOL with IP addresses

No delete.

BTW, I love how everything is open source and I can compile it to work in OS X :)

tempest
03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
ZildjianKX
good question! I was also wondering how to delete with GCS.

or how to update, GCoS for example. I guess overwrite.

Like I said I used Skunk's image as well and it works great!

ZildjianKX
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by tempest
ZildjianKX
good question! I was also wondering how to delete with GCS.

or how to update, GCoS for example. I guess overwrite.

Like I said I used Skunk's image as well and it works great!

Bump, anyone knowledgeable enough to answer this?

nukleuzdj
03-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Bump, anyone knowledgeable enough to answer this?

i dont think you can, unfortunatly

ZildjianKX
03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by nukleuzdj
i dont think you can, unfortunatly

How exactly do you delete DOL files off of you memory card then if the gamecube can't read the card?

ZildjianKX
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Posted in wrong topic, sorry!

The_Legend
03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
How exactly do you delete DOL files off of you memory card then if the gamecube can't read the card?

that's a big failure in the current ctr-gcs, I guess... I think they didn't imagine that could happen... we can only wait until a next release...

I think there is another way to send files to the MC using the PSO + BBA exploit... its name "MC Explorer", or something like it...

edit: the "MC Explorer" is just a simplified way to use the ctr-gcs, so no erase option. man, I really don't think it's that difficult to implement the erase code, since you've already done all the other stuff. the coder for the ctr-gcs is from this forum? I hope he reads this thread :P

ZildjianKX
03-12-2005, 01:32 PM
that's a big failure in the current ctr-gcs, I guess... I think they didn't imagine that could happen... we can only wait until a next release...

I think there is another way to send files to the MC using the PSO + BBA exploit... its name "MC Explorer", or something like it...

edit: the "MC Explorer" is just a simplified way to use the ctr-gcs, so no erase option. man, I really don't think it's that difficult to implement the erase code, since you've already done all the other stuff. the coder for the ctr-gcs is from this forum? I hope he reads this thread :P

Problem is I tihnk the project hasn't been touched since 2003. I just E-mailed him from the address in the readme file... hopefully he'll get back to me.

So is there any other way anyone can think of to get files off of the memory card?

quicksilv
03-13-2005, 01:23 PM
i've been having the same problem, i wanted to add ctr-gcs to my memcard59 but it's out of space (got samsons loader/gcos/tmb-ipl on it).

Crowtrobo is from the dextrose.com forums, and probably doesn't visit this place so you guys might nag to him there ;)

i also read that ctr-gcs can't be run from memcard as it gives crc-errors, is that correct?

coz otherwise i could probably overwrite ipl.dol with a 0size file to get some extra space.

i'm goanna try loading it from ctr-gcs as soon as i got my second memcard done, see what happens

Bent
03-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Problem is I tihnk the project hasn't been touched since 2003. I just E-mailed him from the address in the readme file... hopefully he'll get back to me.

So is there any other way anyone can think of to get files off of the memory card?

As long as you initialize the bba, ctr-gcs works fine running from the memory card. I use it all the time now, much less hassle than booting PSO, even if you have to run GCOS first to initialize the bba.

vandalisthero
03-14-2005, 02:17 AM
I've been noticing a lot of people having trouble with this so that's why I've created this file. I beleive in helping others when it's within my power so here it is. I of course had nothing to do with the coding of any of the files included within this package. Only the readme.txt and the batch files were written by me.

Down to business: I believe the reason that peoples memory cards show up as corrupt is because ctr-gcs was not meant to write full memory card images to any card that it did not origanally come from. So whenever you're writing someone elses raw memory card image to your own, that is why it's coming up as a corrupted card. Contained within this archive are some simple to use batch files that will write each file INDIVDUALLY. So no more corrupted cards, and you can even save game data to your card without worry of screwing up the loader!

1. Make sure your card is in slot b, is not corrupted(if it is, format it) and that you have enough space on it.
2. Make sure your IPs match the ones in ctr-gcs.cfg.
3. Boot up PSO.
4. Select the batch file of choice, run it, and do what it tells you to.
5. Enjoy.

Special thanks to everybody who made the scene possible, past present and future. Especially the coders who do what they do for free without asking for a thing in return, and still have to put up with peoples shit!

Vandalist Hero

spcmnspff
03-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Works great! Thanks alot.

Andieier
03-14-2005, 06:46 AM
@vandalisthero
Can u plz explain what files a,b,c... are
and how can i upload my modificated GCOS to the MC
is c2 = GCOS.gci ??
so i can replace it with my custom GCOS?

quicksilv
03-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Bent
As long as you initialize the bba, ctr-gcs works fine running from the memory card. I use it all the time now, much less hassle than booting PSO, even if you have to run GCOS first to initialize the bba.

Hmm, i didn't try that yet (using GCOS to start ctr-gcs). I assume you use netcat to start the dol or does gcos have some dol explorer somewhere?

also, seeing you got this working, when do you swap memcards? you can't swap in ctr-gcs itself, so it must be in gcos right? my problem is, when i remove a memcard gcos show an exception/error on screen yet i have the feeling the error doesn't break anything. Not sure as i wasn't able to get ctr-gcs working from gcos in the first place.

So if you do the swapping in gcos, does ctr-gcs still work properly?

would be nice if gcos team would add support for removing/inserting memcards and also support for loading dol's from regular memcards (if not already present)

The_Legend
03-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by vandalisthero
I've been noticing a lot of people having trouble with this so that's why I've created this file. I beleive in helping others when it's within my power so here it is. I of course had nothing to do with the coding of any of the files included within this package. Only the readme.txt and the batch files were written by me.

Down to business: I believe the reason that peoples memory cards show up as corrupt is because ctr-gcs was not meant to write full memory card images to any card that it did not origanally come from. So whenever you're writing someone elses raw memory card image to your own, that is why it's coming up as a corrupted card. Contained within this archive are some simple to use batch files that will write each file INDIVDUALLY. So no more corrupted cards, and you can even save game data to your card without worry of screwing up the loader!

1. Make sure your card is in slot b, is not corrupted(if it is, format it) and that you have enough space on it.
2. Make sure your IPs match the ones in ctr-gcs.cfg.
3. Boot up PSO.
4. Select the batch file of choice, run it, and do what it tells you to.
5. Enjoy.

Special thanks to everybody who made the scene possible, past present and future. Especially the coders who do what they do for free without asking for a thing in return, and still have to put up with peoples shit!

Vandalist Hero

and what if I want to update the GCOS? I just upload a file with the same name through the ctr-gcs?

GNF
03-14-2005, 09:22 AM
please , newbie question :

How and where to change master code in my AR1.14 ?

djgarf
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Step 3, checking install and changing code.
Now boot your ar, first you have to do options -> update hardware. now select "cheat -> u$ -> Action replay" (or something alike) if action replay isn't in the us cheat list there is something wrong, recheck if you did everything right. activate the "level1" cheat, than select (m) and press Y, now enter the following code.

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

taken from the guide i used earlier to get gcos running from a memory card

one thing i did notice that once gcos is loaded if u use the action replay as your original swapdisk then u get random lockup's in some games (i'm guessing because of the small toc) but if u use a different game (i used pso) then the lockup's dont happen so if people are having trouble try using a different original for barcode and toc reading than the ar

ZildjianKX
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by djgarf
Now boot your ar, first you have to do options -> update hardware. now select "cheat -> u$ -> Action replay" (or something alike) if action replay isn't in the us cheat list there is something wrong, recheck if you did everything right. activate the "level1" cheat, than select (m) and press Y, now enter the following code.

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

taken from the guide i used earlier to get gcos running from a memory card

one thing i did notice that once gcos is loaded if u use the action replay as your bootdisk then u get random lockup's in some games (i'm guessing because of the small toc) but if u use a different game (i used pso) then the lockup's dont happen so if people are having trouble try using a different original for barcode and toc reading than the ar

Damn, I need to try it. I'll post later tonight after work to see if my Metroid Prime lockup in one location goes away :)

vandalisthero
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
and what if I want to update the GCOS? I just upload a file with the same name through the ctr-gcs?

Pretty much. Just one thing: If you want it to load without a menu, you have to rename the GCOS dol to level3.dol and run it through dol2gci before using ctr-gcs. If you're using the one that lets you have the menu and you want to update, just delete the old one in the gamecubes memory card browser before putting a new one in.

ZildjianKX
03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Pretty much. Just one thing: If you want it to load without a menu, you have to rename the GCOS dol to level3.dol and run it through dol2gci before using ctr-gcs. If you're using the one that lets you have the menu and you want to update, just delete the old one in the gamecubes memory card browser before putting a new one in.

You can't delete it through the memory card browser though, since the gamecube says the card is corrupt, which most people said is normal. There was a big portion of a thread about people (me) asking how to delete a dol off of a memory card, and the consensus was you couldn't...

molton
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
maybe thats if you put an actual .dol format file on the memory card, but if you convert it to a gci and put it on there it should show up as a dolphin program file or something, that's what happened when i converted ctr-gcs to a gci and wrote it to my memory card. I deleted it it from the gamecube IPL menu

GNF
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM

i don't have "action replay" in the us cheat list ... why?

please , help me ... i have ar 1.14 + sdadapter , i don't have pso+bba

how can i put files in the memory? which files?

quicksilv
03-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Just tried vandalisthero's guide for making a memcard which does not give the "memcard is corrupt. format?" notice.. It work out okay, but here are some things people might find usefull

my setup:
gamecube/pc at 192.168.1.32/100
using a linksys router (192.168.1.100 DMZ'ed)

- you cannot remove/insert memcards when ctr-gcs is running.

- your memorycard has to be formatted, booting to gcos from AR doesn't work if you just delete all files on the memcard. I believe samsons loader has to be on fixed offsets within the filesystem to properly load. To do this, you need to upload an premade image from this thread to your memcard. after this your gamecube will say the card needs to be formatted, do it then start over with vandalisthero's guide.

- because of this you will not be able to make a proper image if you only have 1 memorycard. You need to boot into PSO to get to ctr-gcs, and PSO places 4 files on your memcard. As you can't format cards from ctr-gcs you can never get the AR/level2/menu/gcos/anaconda files on the right offset. With two cards you can do this however (PSO on A, formatted card in slot B).
I have not tested setting up a card without the menu (!AUTOLOAD GCOS v1.4.bat), perhaps that one doesn't need to have the files aligned but i doubt it

- i've not been able to extract my own image from my mc59 card (i did get it from my mc251 card though). It just idles at sending file.. I *think* this has to do with wether you are sending other data over your network (i was receiving a file on irc xdcc). The same happens to me when i got emule open. (i closed mirc/emule/etc when i got the image from my mc251 card). Not sure about this, goanna test tomorrow, perhaps ctr-gcs just doesn't like my card very much.

- i also needed to remove my second card (the 59) to make an image from my 251 card, so it could be something with the 59 card.

- i can't get ctr-gcs working if i don't put my network card at 10mbps full (instead of 100mbit)

- i can't get ctr-gcs booted from gcos using AR as trigger, can someone confirm that ctr-gcs + gcos + AR is supposed to work when sending through netcat? I'm getting CRC's errors, so i'm stuck with using PSO to load ctr-gcs, works but it would be nice if i could just load it with gcos.

- when you got your memcard setup, it might be handy if you setup PSO on your memcard as well. Make sure you start PSO with -s so it also saves the serial code etc, when setup make an image of the card. On a 59 card you can fit AR database+lvl2+lvl3+gcos14+anaconda+pso files

The_Legend
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by quicksilv
Just tried vandalisthero's guide for making a memcard which does not give the "memcard is corrupt. format?" notice.. It work out okay, but here are some things people might find usefull

so, does it mean that I can still save files on my boot MC?

ZildjianKX
03-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Damn, I need to try it. I'll post later tonight after work to see if my Metroid Prime lockup in one location goes away :)

Well, I tried it with Mario Kart DD, still froze. Tried it with PSO, fixed all the DRE errors! Sweet.

Also tried formatting my memory card, redoing the install.dol files, and redoing the master code, and now works fine with no corruption :)

quicksilv
03-15-2005, 02:04 AM
The_Legend: yeah, you can still use the remaining blocks on your memcard. in the gamecube memcard manager you also see the dol/bin files with icons + names.

tempest
03-15-2005, 08:21 AM
I finally got the installer to run correctly!
Now I have 2 cards, a 59 and a 251, which can be manipulated via the GC. I can see all the files AND DELETE THEM!
Some helpful hints:
1) If you create your card from someone else's image it will work in ctr-gcs and boot GCoS, etc, but it will show corrupt on the GC.

2) I used SDload to run the installer (only method that worked for me). After erasing, reformatting and initializing the card you can either type in all the SD codes OR in my case I just happened to have saved the "DATEL..." save file off one of my cards which contained the SDload AR codes. Overwrite the AR save with the backup containing the SDload codes. Now you can run SDload with your target card in the b slot, select the installer with "X" and swap out the SDadapter for a memory card. I think any card will work, or does it have to be an AR card? - I AM NOT SURE I used an AR initialized card YMMV. If you do not have V1.06 you will have to modify the (M) code, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the installer overwrites the SDload codes, :( but a small price for a non corrupt card! :D

One question for Samson: I found that after the AR loader is running if I try to copy this save (as it also contains the "action replay" and SDload codes) back onto my card the loader does not work. It goes to a black screen. I assume based on this it is best not to screw with the DATEL save file after the installer has run?

3) Now for ctr-gcs, I have started using GCoS and netcat. I changed my network setup to match GCoS', to minimize hassle (for me anyway). I also modified the batch program memcard3 by Roman (same as Roman42 on dextrose?). Removed the PSload command and swapped in netcat. Thanks Roman nice tool! Anyway works great and minimizes typing!

4) On my 59 blk card I then deleted ipl.dol and level3.dol (ipl.dol just to save room as it will not be used). Then I took crazyshiza's Auto-load Backup GCoS v1.4 Modification (goes right into swap disc on launch). Renamed it to level3.dol, ran dol2gci on it and then uploaded the gci to my card via ctr-gcs. Now I put a game save mem card in slot A and my quick launch 59 in slot B along with my AR disc. Start game -> Open close lid -> and it goes right into swap disc! SWEET! Thanks crazyshiza!

And thanks Samson!
and thanks to all the GCoS guys and especially emu_kidid, Shadowsan and Mathieulh!
:D

The_Legend
03-15-2005, 08:34 AM
The_Legend: yeah, you can still use the remaining blocks on your memcard. in the gamecube memcard manager you also see the dol/bin files with icons + names.

so it's also posible to copy the files to another MC through the GC MC manager, and make another bootable MC, right? that would make things much more easy for the people that don't have PSO + BBA! they just need to find someone who has a bootable MC, and copy the files! man, that's great news!

tempest
03-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Legend, as I recall they are not files that get the copy option in the cube mem manager.
Sorry

The_Legend
03-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Legend, as I recall they are not files that get the copy option in the cube mem manager.
Sorry

wow, and why that? if you can see and erase them, why can't you copy? that strange...

ZildjianKX
03-15-2005, 10:39 AM
wow, and why that? if you can see and erase them, why can't you copy? that strange...

I tried copying all the files via ctr-gcs to a new memory card, it booted to a black screen, so you definately need to use the install.dol.

quicksilv
03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
I tried copying all the files via ctr-gcs to a new memory card, it booted to a black screen, so you definately need to use the install.dol.

no you don't need it, just read vandalisthero's post on page 8, followed by my tips below that post.

you are getting the black screen because you didn't format your memcard first. samson's bootloader NEEDS to be placed on the correct offsets in the mc filesystem.
If you ever in the past had files on that memcard you will not be able to store new files on the correct offset EVEN if you delete all saves (space becomes fragmented and new files will not be written from offset 0). Format it (by corrupting your memcard) and try again.

ZildjianKX
03-15-2005, 12:07 PM
no you don't need it, just read vandalisthero's post on page 8, followed by my tips below that post.

you are getting the black screen because you didn't format your memcard first. samson's bootloader NEEDS to be placed on the correct offsets in the mc filesystem.
If you ever in the past had files on that memcard you will not be able to store new files on the correct offset EVEN if you delete all saves (space becomes fragmented and new files will not be written from offset 0). Format it (by corrupting your memcard) and try again.

Ahh, thanks for the info. I tried this a long time ago just out of curiosity. Thanks for the info on the offsets, that explains a lot.

vandalisthero
03-15-2005, 12:41 PM
you can copy the dol files in the gc mc manager, just not the level 2 bootloader bin file. Still it's kind of useful if you have a huge 3rd party memcard, you could upload dol files to the offical card and move them over for storage so you can just move the dols between cards instead of deleting and using ctr-gcs every time you want to run another program.

quicksilv
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
copying the dol/bin files and trying to create a AR gcos memcard through the gc mc manager should be possible.

what we need is a mc card that is already setup and an empty formatted card.

unfortunatly we can't copy the .bin file, BUT this is only because ctr-gcs seems to keep the file attributes from the original file.

The mc uses a FAT like allocation table for the files, and files have permissions:

0x34 0x01 file-permissions bit permission Description
4 no move File cannot be moved by the IPL
3 no copy File cannot be copied by the IPL
2 public Can be read by any game

(from : http://www.gc-linux.org/docs/yagcd/chap12.html#sec12)

so if we could have a small program that alters the permissions on desired files then we could make AR cards by simply copying through the gc mc manager.

i don't have a gc tool kit setup, nor have i looked at libgc or whatever is used.

also the following mc commands will be usefull:

Command len indata len outdata len Description
0xf40000 3 - - - - erase Card
0xf1 1 Sector 2 - - erase Sector

(from : http://www.gc-linux.org/docs/yagcd/chap10.html#sec10.7.1)

an MC manager would also be a nice feature for gcos (removing files, formatting cards etc)

we might patch the level 2 bootloader (.bin file), copy it to a mc and see if the copy option becomes available.

quicksilv
03-15-2005, 01:25 PM
i just checked level 2 boot loader, offset 34.
Value = 1C, Binary = 11100
according to above table that means the file doesn't allow copy/move.
so it should be x100 (decimal 4).

if anyone wants to try that patch and see if it works as i don't have the time right now. if you do try, make sure memcard in slot B is formatted (not just emptied).

PC_Arcade
03-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I've got this working now, thanks to all who helped :)

PC_Arcade
03-16-2005, 06:16 AM
One question (possibly a stupid one) is there anyway to use the AR with a backup game?

I'd like to cheat in backups, is it possible?

nutmonkey
03-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if you can use a USB Memory Card adapter to put GCOS onto. I really want to get into the scene but don't want to buy a viper and support PS2OWNZ (already had a bad experience with the bastards :mad: )! I don't have a BBA or PSO, and buying them would probably cost as much as the viper, so I was hoping this would be a good alternative!

Can you put one of the memory card images of GCOS onto it, or is it not that simple?

It's the adapter mentioned in the USB adapter + USB hard drive thread, link is below

USB Memory Adaptor 64M (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=78&products_id=2359&PHPSESSID=28fd7d51796f2726927d13465ca3be03)

Cheers, and sorry if this is a stupid question or if it's been asked 100 times befor

Nutmonkey

quicksilv
03-16-2005, 03:27 PM
ok i just tested my theory.. and it works, i can now create a memcard for AR with AR database + lvl2 + lvl3 + gcos (+other files like pso), by just copying those files from slot A -> B using the gamecube's memcard manager... No need for ctr-gcs!

to do this, you do need :

- formated (or brandnew) card in slot b
- a working memcard for booting AR -> Gcos in slot a
then just copy all files start with Action replay then lvl2, lvl3, gcos to slot b

the memcard you have in slot a (the one with all the files on it) needs to have 1 file patched before you create it.. patch lvl2 boot loader on offset 34, change 1C to 4. it will enable the copy option on the lvl 2 boot loader, as this file normally can't be copied using the gamecube memcard explorer.

if you grab the vh-cardwriter from vandelisthero (see this thread, page 8) and substitute my file "b" with his file "b" you are set to create the AR card which goes into slot a.

note: i have tested this with an memcard 59 and memcard 251.
i have not been able to test this on a non-nintendo brand memcard yet (as i can't get my 3rd party card to properly format itself).. I believe it will work with a 3rd party card as well, and might even work with AR card itself as well (meaning you only need 1 card not 2!)

quicksilv
03-16-2005, 05:39 PM
here is the complete package with patched file "b" included. added some info as well.

vandalisthero
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Nice work. :)

I like what you've done here. I was trying to figure out a way to make the file copyable via Gamecube's MC manager myself. I wanted to do this in order to be able to run them from the AR memcard rather than one of my originals. I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm about to in a few minutes.

I'll post my results shortly.

P.S. Thank you for giving credit and also leaving the original text in. ^_^

djgarf
03-17-2005, 05:01 AM
having all the files on the ar memory card would be a excellent idea
just wondering how u would go about formatting your ar card if gcs cant write to it

quicksilv
03-17-2005, 06:26 AM
that's one of the problems before we can actually test this. So far i have not been able to format either a 3rd party card, nor the AR card.

I tried corrupting my 3rd party card by using PSO, when it saves to the memcard and you see the sign "don't turn of your gamecube" i powered it down hoping it would corrupt my memcard. Unfortunatly this didn't work as i hoped. The cube did say the card needed to be formatted (1 out of 3 tries) but when it formatted the card it said it might not have formatted the card properly. After rebooting it actually didn't format my card at all, all saves still there (it probably restores the 2nd fat table). So that didn't work. I tried corrupting my card by using AR and the RESET function, but i got the same results.. gamecube saying the format was possibly not done properly.

Then i made a MemCardFormat.dol written using libogc and that also doesn't format my card. The CARD_ functions in libogc seem quite buggy, cause it would only mount my card if i would reinsert the card (which the libogc team suggested to do). It then mountend okay, and format was ok (no errorcode), yet it didn't format my card.

This was all tested on a Thrustmaster 59 card. It could be just my crappy card, hope i get better results with other cards.

Shadowsan told me that you can corrupt a memcard by placing a JAP save game on a memcard. But they are using the US/JAP hardware switch to force a wrong region. I don't have that switch so i can't use that option either. If you do have an AR card + region switch please try to corrupt your AR card using this method, format it and then copy the needed files to the AR to see if booting from just AR mc is possible.

If anyone knows of a way to format a card (not using ctr-gcs as that won't work with 3rs party cards) then please post here!

The_Legend
03-17-2005, 08:06 AM
have you tried pulling it out while it's been saved? maybe that works, gonna try later. if your cube isn't japanese, you could try playing donkey konga JAP, that game is said to reformat to a japanese standard.

tempest
03-17-2005, 08:23 AM
I tried writing a blank image to my AR card with ctr-gcs. doesn't really work, but it does usually need to be reformated in GC mem manager.

But 59 block cards are only like $7 used at blockbuster and $8 at gamestop. As my AR card is only 59 blocks, its no longer worth f'ing with.

DaGamePimp
03-18-2005, 07:36 AM
So why is it that nobody is just selling the mem-cards already set up for those that have a normal Action Replay ?

Certainly there would be a huge market for those that do not wish to buy BBA+PSO / SD + Loader / USB MemCards / etc.

I mean it is possible to load this onto an official mem-card that a normal action replay (not max drive pro or max Evo) can read and then activate [ just as if it were a save/cheat ] ? I thought I had read that this has already been done .

So who will be first to offer up pre-done official mem-cards ;) ?

---DGP---

The_Legend
03-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
So why is it that nobody is just selling the mem-cards already set up for those that have a normal Action Replay ?

Certainly there would be a huge market for those that do not wish to buy BBA+PSO / SD + Loader / USB MemCards / etc.

I mean it is possible to load this onto an official mem-card that a normal action replay (not max drive pro or max Evo) can read and then activate [ just as if it were a save/cheat ] ? I thought I had read that this has already been done .

So who will be first to offer up pre-done official mem-cards ;) ?

---DGP---

the thing is, the scene is improving each day, so in my opinion it's still not worth to buy a pre-set mem-card, since in the following day could be a release for a much more improved/bug-free software. there's so much to improve to get to a final version of it (if there will ever be one)

DaGamePimp
03-18-2005, 05:09 PM
the thing is, the scene is improving each day, so in my opinion it's still not worth to buy a pre-set mem-card, since in the following day could be a release for a much more improved/bug-free software. there's so much to improve to get to a final version of it (if there will ever be one)

Certainly there will always be updates but the fact remains that it does function well in its current form ;) .

Heck people were selling homebrew pre-flashed Xbox chips (that required 32 wires to be soldered) back when the Xbox scene first started and many were more than happy to buy them just because they worked [ even though they did not have the ability to update it themselves at that time ] :D .

But hey , it was just a thought after all ;) .

---DGP---

DjGruff
03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I have a problem!
I buy a sd adapter!Now i have saver the code in the memory card with name"sdload"!
I have prepared the sd card at my pc, i try to boot with AR, but nothing!
I see only a green line at bottom of my tv!
I have made the code in the USA flag but i have a PAL console!
Is something wrong? :confused:
Plz Help ME :(

DjGruff
03-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Heeeeeeeelp!:(

mstrchf
03-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Nobody seems to be helping you , i just found this link with tutorials, hope this helps

http://www.ngcdev.com/snakecompat/index.php

Freakshock
03-22-2005, 03:08 PM
quicksilv -> I used your program to try and get gcos to work on AR.

I ran the batch MENU + GCOS , had the AR memcard in slot 1 and my nintendo 59 card in slot B, found out it was not formatted, so I pulled out my AR memcard from slot a and put in another memcard, transferred the 4 files (in the memcard manager) from slot B to slot A, and formatted my 59 nintendo memcard, then I transferred the files from my other memcard in slot A to my formatted 59.

Is this correct? If not should running the MENU + GCOS on a formatted MC be enough?

Is there any more I have to do to boot GCOS? How do I get it to boot when in AR?

Shouldnt anything be changed to the AR memorycard?

Thx in advance.
:)

vandalisthero
03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
AR MEMCARD SUCCESS!!

After trying various different methods to format the AR memory card, I've found a way to format it properly! After that I copied all of the files from my offical card and it worked like a charm!

Here's what I did: Loaded up the game Baten Kaitos and played it just long enough to make a save file. Then I turned off the cube, booted up Baten Kaitos again and when I tried to access the save file I had just created, it told me my memory card was corrupt and needed to be formatted and gave me the choice to format it or not to format it. I tried to format it a bunch of times but it kept saying that it may not have been formatted, but eventually it worked! You may or may not have to remove the memory card and reinsert it before trying again, but after it didn't work about 5 times or so, that's what I did. I tried to format it again after reinserting and it worked on the first try! Then I just copied the files in order one by one and tried to load the game back up with the AR memory card by itself in slot b and it works perfectly!

Note: I used my backup copy rather than my original copy of Baten Kaitos, but I'm sure it will work with the original just the same. This may also work with any other game that will allow you to format the card in the game without returning you to the gamecube memory card manager.

tempest
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
vandalisthero
so you made an AR Samson's Loader card?
Just by copying the files in the GC mem manager?

vandalisthero
03-22-2005, 09:03 PM
vandalisthero
so you made an AR Samson's Loader card?
Just by copying the files in the GC mem manager?

Yeah, I used the level 2 bootloader that quicksilv patched to allow copying in the GC MC manager, managed to format the AR memory card by "corrupting" it, and after several tries got Baten Kaitos to format it properly.

I think what might have happened when I removed it and put it back in, it acted the same way it would have in th MC manager. If I somehow would manage to "corrupt" it and went to the MC manager, it would try to format it but it wouldn't work, and if I took it out and put it back in, it would be alright again (files show up, no need for MC manager to format). But since when you try to format in Baten Kaitos it lets you try over and over again instead of just once, maybe when I put it back in the cube might have recognized it as a card that doesn't need to be formatted but Baten Kaitos let me format it anyways and it worked properly because there was nothing wrong with the card at the time.

Freakshock
03-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Ah well nevermind my other post, I tried to get this AR booting to work with this FAQ:

http://www.ngcdev.com/snakecompat/argcos.htm

It says this...

For the whole setup you need the ar memcard in slot a and your blank nintendo memcard in slot b.
(yes that means that you have to save the pso settings on the ar card if you use pso)

But how am I supposed to save my pso settings on the AR card...? because the GC mem manager doesnt recognize my AR memcard and neither does PSO... Can anyone help me out?

camoi
03-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi,

It should see it as a regular memcard, so, maybe you should format it with AR. Then, you can install all needed for PSO to load.

Camoi

nukleuzdj
03-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Freakshock
Ah well nevermind my other post, I tried to get this AR booting to work with this FAQ:

http://www.ngcdev.com/snakecompat/argcos.htm

It says this...

But how am I supposed to save my pso settings on the AR card...? because the GC mem manager doesnt recognize my AR memcard and neither does PSO... Can anyone help me out?

i think some AR cards are normal but some are unique to the action replay
mine is normal and saves like any card
yours must be the latter
just use a differant card?

.bin
03-23-2005, 02:09 AM
This method worked great. Got GCOS/AR working on 3rd party mem cards as well as the Action Replay Card.

Easy way to corrupt your card is to set your cube in JAP mode and then back to US (If you have a modded cube with switch).

Or I played a Jap game on a PAL console and it asked me to format the card and it worked.

Tested on:

4 Meg Gamers Card - Working
Official Nintendo Cards 59 and 251 - Working
Action Replay 4 Meg Card - Working
Action Replay 64 Meg Card - Not working - Will boot the AR but will Black Screen when it goes to load GCOS.

All copied in the GC Mem manager after the initial copied card from PSO/GCS Method posted above.

Maybe the 64 meg card is too big or diff format for it?

rivlez
03-23-2005, 03:21 AM
is there anyway to add .dol files to GCOS14MEM.bin that skunk made? i need to add some dols for testing stuff and i haven't been able to do it with ctr-gcs because it keeps giving me "card is corrupt". if there is a way to do this plzzz let me know!!

quicksilv
03-23-2005, 03:36 AM
vandalisthero: great work getting the AR card to format! I will try to dig up a version of Baiten Katos asap. Did you use the JAP version of the game? i assume so, as i don't see how you managed to corrupt the save game otherwise.
Also, if it was a jap game, did you force GCOS to PAL region or did you use the auto setting?

I already tried this a few days ago with Kururin Squash (JAP) but it would just save fine and also read those saves properly. So it might not work with every JAP game.

.bin: i assume installing samsons bootloader will only work on cards that don't use compression. I believe his loader loads the AR database in raw format using absolute offsets (sector reading). So on a compressed memcard the offsets will most likely not be correct.

for people who can not see any saves on their AR card, let us know the AR version.. as i believe only newer AR's come with a card that can be used a regular memcard.

If anyone has any luck with formatting the AR, not using a NtscPal switch and some other game then Baiten Katos then let me know!

Freakshock
03-23-2005, 06:56 AM
So I guess im screwed with my version of AR? Is'nt there a method to get it to work? I'll just return in to the store then, I bought it yesterday. Do I need the latest AR version or an older version? Dunno what my version is now, I'm not @ school and will check when I get home.

Thx for the reply's

EDIT: Checked the version, the disc says version 1.14b , is the memorycard that comes with this version not compatible?

.bin
03-23-2005, 09:22 AM
1.14b should be compatable, those are the ones I tested above.

BUT check if it is a 4 meg card or a 64 meg card (Put it in your cube and see how many slots are free)

The 64 meg card I have has 16 on it and the 4 meg has just "Action replay" on it.

It will only work with 4 meg or uncompressed cards. If you return it, try get the standard one. The Limited edition was the 64 meg I think.

I ordered 2 expecting 4 meg cards and 1 was limited edition and 1 was normal. Look for the one that just has "AR Action replay" on the mem card.

BUT you may have an old mem card (ar).
Honestly just buy a bargain basement 3rd party card if you don't wanna buy an official one, or take back the AR and try get the latest version. 1.6/1.8 I think.

Freakshock
03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I Can't check whether its a 4meg or 64meg because the GC Mem Manager doesnt recognize it as a memorycard, I must have the wrong version...

Thx for your help

EDIT:

I ordered 2 expecting 4 meg cards and 1 was limited edition and 1 was normal. Look for the one that just has "AR Action replay" on the mem card.

I checked and it said AR action replay... now why is it nog recognized:S I guess ill take it to the store in an hour.....

EDIT2:

Honestly just buy a bargain basement 3rd party card if you don't wanna buy an official one, or take back the AR and try get the latest version. 1.6/1.8 I think.

Do you mean I dont even need the AR memcard for this to work? Could I just have the PSO user settings on a normal MC and another normal MC in slot B and then transfer the bootloader and gcos files ? Doesnt anything have to be changed on the AR card?

rivlez
03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Freakshock
So I guess im screwed with my version of AR? Is'nt there a method to get it to work? I'll just return in to the store then, I bought it yesterday. Do I need the latest AR version or an older version? Dunno what my version is now, I'm not @ school and will check when I get home.

Thx for the reply's

EDIT: Checked the version, the disc says version 1.14b , is the memorycard that comes with this version not compatible?

i thought i couldn't do shit either until i kept doing stuff last night, i loaded skunks gcos14mem.bin onto my 251 nintendo memory card now all i do is go to AR ---> start game ----> open lid ----> close lid ----> and boom i'm in GCOS 1.4! it works good try it out.

camoi
03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by rivlez
i thought i couldn't do shit either until i kept doing stuff last night, i loaded skunks gcos14mem.bin onto my 251 nintendo memory card now all i do is go to AR ---> start game ----> open lid ----> close lid ----> and boom i'm in GCOS 1.4! it works good try it out.

Please, can you give your AR version ?

Camoi

Freakshock
03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Well I got it working:) thx all, I first formatted and then used quicksilv's batch, my mistake was I first had the files on another memcard, and then transferred them to the other --In the wrong order -- Thx!!!!!!

EDIT, now that i have it working, I wonder , how do you guys use this with fullsize dvd? When I used GCOS with PSO I just taped the lid sensor, but with ar you need to open and close the lid. Does anyone have a temporary solution until the new full dvd cases arrive, besides "hold the lid sensor till you get in gcos and then tape it" :p

.bin
03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Yes, you don't need an AR card to boot the Action replay with the loader.

I have an official one, a 3rd party one and an AR one and all work fine with the AR disc.

For the lid, I use those wire ties (you can buy em easy, they are identical to what your cube control pad is tied with when you buy it new)

I keep that on all the time and when it says open the lid I just gently pull back on it and let it get, it flicks gently back into place and is held in the closed position again.

Alternativly you can wire a switch to it which would be more of an extreme method.

vandalisthero
03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
quicksilv: I was using the USA version of Baten Kaitos with auto-detect. It could very possibly have been a freak occurance... but like I was saying it happened in the same way that it happens in the GC MC manager after using ctr-gcs. It says it's corrupt but the format fails. So maybe if you "corrupt" it by trying to write an image to it with ctr-gcs with it in slot a rather than b, and turn off the gamecube and boot Baten Kaitos without removing the card from slot a, it should recognize it to be corrupt as well. Then just try to format it in the load game screen a few times, take the card out, put it back in and it should format properly... at least it did for me. Like I said though, could be a freak occurance and I don't know if I want to risk messing up the card to figure out weather or not it will work again. I might anyways though...

rivlez
03-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by camoi
Please, can you give your AR version ?

Camoi

i'm using 1.13 AR version

another thing how can i add more dols to the gcos14mem.bin file? i would love to add more stuff to it to test.

vandalisthero
03-24-2005, 03:09 PM
another thing how can i add more dols to the gcos14mem.bin file? i would love to add more stuff to it to test.

Uhh... just convert the dol files to gci using dol2gci and upload to the card via ctr-gcs.

rivlez
03-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Uhh... just convert the dol files to gci using dol2gci and upload to the card via ctr-gcs.

uhh... i've tried that shit like 3905820958 times and it DOES not work once i got the gcos14mem.bin file on my card

vandalisthero
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
uhh... i've tried that shit like 3905820958 times and it DOES not work once i got the gcos14mem.bin file on my card

Well then go ahead and install the bootloader yourself instead of using other people's memorycard images. Either that or you could just use the vhq-cardwriter which will install it all for you so your card isn't corrupt, then just add extra programs with ctr-gcs.

quicksilv
03-25-2005, 04:34 AM
rivlez: you need an nintendo brand memcard for ctr-gcs to work (either 59 or 251).

ALSO you might need to set your network card to 10mbit FULL instead of 100 Full/half/Auto!
I need to set it up like that or sending files to ctr-gcs doesn't work (transmitting ctr-gcs through psul does work at 100mbit strangely enough)

Neosophist
03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Just a query, I have an SDCard adaptor (official nintedo) running sd-load and gcos.

I don't have a BBA.. is it possible using SDLoader (and maybe some .dol file?) to upload gcos to a memorycard to boot it with the ardisc without the need for an SD-card.

It's just my brother has a gamecube too and he hasn't got the money to buy sd-cards / make an adaptor so if I can use my sd-loader setup to send files to his memory card it would be great.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Regs,

Martin

tempest
03-25-2005, 09:58 AM
I use SDload to run the installer on my mem card with "x" option. Search my posts for more info.
But unless you can copy GCoS via the GC mem manager from another mem card that has already been set up, you need the BBA

R2D2
03-27-2005, 05:51 AM
has someone a working memcard image in *.gcp format for the liksang usbmemcard?

westies
03-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Would it be possible for someone to make a batch file or tell the command of how to write to the mem card using Netcat as GCOS only works with Netcat (to my knowledge at least). When I open ctr-gcs.dol with netcat it comes up on the screen but says no connection. When I try to run ctr-gcs.exe it says that it's waiting to connect but it never does. Anyone know how I would be able to use ctr-gcs with netcat and gcos? thanks :)

The_Legend
03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by westies
Would it be possible for someone to make a batch file or tell the command of how to write to the mem card using Netcat as GCOS only works with Netcat (to my knowledge at least). When I open ctr-gcs.dol with netcat it comes up on the screen but says no connection. When I try to run ctr-gcs.exe it says that it's waiting to connect but it never does. Anyone know how I would be able to use ctr-gcs with netcat and gcos? thanks :)

have you configured the ctr-gcs.cfg with your IP's? I think you also need to initialize the BBA, don't know f that's the problem.

westies
03-28-2005, 11:34 PM
yeah, just after I wrote that I realised that I didnt apply my new configs >.<

All you have to do when running GCOS1.4 is use netcat with ctr-gcs dol:
nc.exe 192.168.1.32 4000 -q 0 < ctr-gcs.dol

I've now got GCOS1.4 on my SD card and my MC251 :)

Zer-0_Divide
04-13-2005, 06:10 PM
*Bump* ok i need alot of help, like how get the exact ip of your gamecube every time i try to do anything in ctr-gcs i get an error that keeps on repeating or it just says waiting on the screen and nothing happens

Stine
04-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Alright so I downloaded the batch files that are posted up and ran the GCOS+menu one the files are transfered to my memcard (Dolphin bootsystem level2 boot loader. Dolphine Application level3.dol and Action Replay V1.08)

so now I boot up AR and I have the "action replay" under games....If I try and run this all /i get is a black screen with "menu" at the top....

what am I doing wrong?

Bent
04-16-2005, 01:08 AM
You must format the memory card before installing the loader, or else you will only get a black screen. There is information somewhere on this board on how to do that, basically you corrupt the card by writing a blank image to it.

Vegas
04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Ok so I have been working on this and I just cant get the ctr-gcs thing to work
It says that its not connected then when I goto the CMD prompt it gives me this not recognized as an internal or external command
Operable program or batch file
What in the heck am I doing wrong and how can I fix this ?
Using an Action replay 1.14 and a 251 block card

Vegas
04-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Update
I got it to the point where I can load the AR and I see an ipl.dol instead of getting the Blackscreen of death but thats the only file in the menu there is no GCOS file there or on my memcard

Neosophist
04-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Put togeather a little guide on howto get GCOS on a memorycard using the SD-LOADER and BBA without PSO.

If your CTR-GCS isn't working did you configure the ip's by editing the .cfg file and running ctr-gcs -c to configure the dol before you upload it to the cube else it won't work.

Regards,

Martin

• Put AR memcard into slot 1 and new Nintendo card into slot 2
• Use GC memcard manager to copy ar file from slot 1 to slot 2
• Copy install.dol onto the SDCARD
• Remove AR card from slot 1 and put in SDCARD
• Boot up AR and run SDLOADER
• Run Install.dol from SDLOADER, this copies the install files to Slot 2
• Remove the SDCARD and reboot the AR
• Edit the “Action Replay Code (m)” under AR Codes > USA > Action Replay tick Level 1 Boot loader and press Y to edit (m) code (see above)
• Boot “Action Replay”
• Select ipl.dol, wait till screen stops doing things. Will say “CIF – EXI - ?? 00”
• Run nc 192.168.0.15 4000 < ctr-gcs.dol to upload the ctr-gcs program
• After about 1 min it will say GCS 1.0 by CrowTrobo Not Connected
• Run ctr-gcs from pc “ctr-gcs –r b gcos.gci” to upload GCOS
• Reboot and run AR. Pick GCOS.dol from the menu.

Neosophist
04-23-2005, 04:34 PM
all you've done is loaded samsons bootloader onto the card then.. you need to upload the GCOS image separatly it comes as a .gci in the gcos zip and follow my guide (prev post) from the part where you run ip.dol.

Regs,

Martin

Vegas
04-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I got it to work Thanks Neo
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Neosophist
04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Vegas
I got it to work Thanks Neo
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Not a problem :)

antimony
04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Hello I just read this thread and am interested to try this method out as I have just been using PSO+BBA every time. It seems with the .com to .net move all of the attachments got deleted, so I'm wondering if someone can attach the file that vandalisthero posted on page 8.

thanks

gcmospeada
05-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Please
pleas help me!

This is what i have:

- Action replay
- Gamecube
- 1 memory 59 blocks.

This is what I DONT have, and cant buy.

-sd card adaptor
-Phantasy star online
-BBA.

Can i still make GCos work having only those 3 things?? are there any other ways of making this work without having the sdcard adaptor and the PSO? like soldering a memory card into the Action replay or whatever?

roadkill
05-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I just bought a new AR. I have Gcos1.4, Psul, GamecubeDisksever, GamecubeRipping, ctr-gcs, install.dol and PSO 1&2. I will follow the Tutorial said. Please help me if I run into a problem. I also have a question:
I ripped like 10 games by using Gamecube Ripping sever 1.0.10.29 (something like that). Then I use gamecube Disk Server to load game image from PC. All 10 images works fine. Then I burn them into miniDVDr. Then I use psul Gcos1_4.dol to load backup miniDVDr. And only 3 games works fine. The rest gave TV Black sreen. I bought miniDVDr online for $1.00 each.
Do you know Why?
Is that the brand of miniDVDr problem?

Thank a lot.

Vegas
05-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by gcmospeada
Please
pleas help me!

This is what i have:

- Action replay
- Gamecube
- 1 memory 59 blocks.

This is what I DONT have, and cant buy.

-sd card adaptor
-Phantasy star online
-BBA.

Can i still make GCos work having only those 3 things?? are there any other ways of making this work without having the sdcard adaptor and the PSO? like soldering a memory card into the Action replay or whatever?
You need PSO and a BBA unless you have a friend that can load the files for you

Neosophist
05-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by roadkill
I just bought a new AR. I have Gcos1.4, Psul, GamecubeDisksever, GamecubeRipping, ctr-gcs, install.dol and PSO 1&2. I will follow the Tutorial said. Please help me if I run into a problem. I also have a question:
I ripped like 10 games by using Gamecube Ripping sever 1.0.10.29 (something like that). Then I use gamecube Disk Server to load game image from PC. All 10 images works fine. Then I burn them into miniDVDr. Then I use psul Gcos1_4.dol to load backup miniDVDr. And only 3 games works fine. The rest gave TV Black sreen. I bought miniDVDr online for $1.00 each.
Do you know Why?
Is that the brand of miniDVDr problem?

Thank a lot.

This could be a few problems.. firstly I suggest that you download a known working ISO and try that on your media and see if it works.

What are you burning the images with? Nero is good I don't have problems with it. Secondly what dye is in the discs? If you use nero's infotool under the disc menu it will tell you, if you search the net theres a compatibiltiy guide for what media works best.

Finally you can adjust the laser strength on the gamecube, this has varied results but works wonders with many people.

Regards,

Martin

roadkill
05-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Neosophist
This could be a few problems.. firstly I suggest that you download a known working ISO and try that on your media and see if it works.

Regards,

Martin

I have 3 working games on this media. So media should be ok for my gamecube. Maybe I burn them too fast 4x. However, I will download Nero and try it. Thanks.

I dont know how to adjust the laser strength on gamecube.

n0Ne
05-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Vegas
You need PSO and a BBA unless you have a friend that can load the files for you

do u need it for backing games only?? or there are some other reason that is required for making it work?

The_Legend
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by n0Ne
do u need it for backing games only?? or there are some other reason that is required for making it work?

You need it for putting the needed files onto the memory card. you'll just need once, but you'll need.

The_Legend
05-07-2005, 08:46 AM
I've got a weird problem! I've installed the files on a MC59, tested it with the ar108.dol that someone (I don't remember who) posted here, and it was running fine. I also checked that the MC had the 3 necessary archives. Then I've mailed it to a friend of mine, and when he looked at the MC at the GC MC Manager, there was only 2 files! lvl2.dol and lvl3.dol . I have no idea how it happened, but is there a way to make it work again without a PSO+BBA, only with 1 MC59, 1 AR MC and an AR?

Cube Hacker
05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
• Run nc 192.168.0.15 4000 < ctr-gcs.dol to upload the ctr-gcs program
• After about 1 min it will say GCS 1.0 by CrowTrobo Not Connected
• Run ctr-gcs from pc “ctr-gcs –r b gcos.gci” to upload GCOS
• Reboot and run AR. Pick GCOS.dol from the menu. [/B]

How can I load ctr-gcs in the GC with nc? i haven't understand! What is "nc"? how does it work?

poopdedoop
05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
nc means network connection

tempest
05-22-2005, 10:38 AM
or netcat...

Megahurt
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
ok, ok.

I can see that the problem with formatting third party, and all cards for that matter, hasn't been resolved. So I'm gonna help you guys out.

While cruising through the forums the other day, I came across a very interesting thread. Seeing as how I just purchased a MadCatz 59 black MC for $3 it was very interesting.

Check the thread, it is well worth it. Trust me.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?threadid=1546&highlight=format+memory+card

Megahurt

Nick101181
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm having a problem with this. I got all the necessary files but it's not working for me. I got the ctr-gcs not connected screen. Then I tried the commands thru ms-dos to send the gci to the mem card but it kept saying invalid parameter. I then stuck my official 59 mem card in slot two and tried it then it kept saying cannot bind socket, but then sometimes it would say waiting to connect and then do nothing. Any ideas?

Nick101181
07-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok I finally got everything running but now there is something I need fixed. I took the ar hack raw image and loaded it to my mem card and then i sent the gcos_gci to the mem card as well when i picked action replay and hit start i opened the lid and closed it. I went black and was scrolling for a few seconds then it said please wait and loaded gcos v1.4b2. I'm not sure what to do but my cousin had his ar and mem card with a menu so he could pick to boot ctr-gcs or gcos. His gcos also said v1.4b6 or something. Any idea how I can fix mine now where I have a menu and everything?

maissi
07-22-2005, 10:07 AM
can someone post the ar codes that are needed to get the dols working pls. :(

Metink
07-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Try these codes:

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

you should also take a look at Brakken's tutorial:

http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm

maissi
07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
is it possible me to get these dols work i have ar 1.14 and 1.06 and max drive (not pro) but not bba or pso

maissi
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
i used max drive pro program from codejunkies to get the dols to mc but i don't know what to do next.i boot ar but there is nothing new in the usa flag.someone know what to do? :confused:

cubeboy
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Where can I get DOL version of AR 1.06 & 1.14B?
Thanks in advance.

evil_lemming
08-31-2005, 06:11 AM
noob question:
I loaded the 59block image that was in this tread to my official 59 block card using ctr-gcs, reset, went into the memory card manager and it shows up empty. Is this normal?

I cant test it out untill my AR arrives :(

Nick101181
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
well it seems I messed my card up yet again. What i did first was load the ar 1.14 hack, since that is the only raw image that would ever write to my card. Then I made a level3.gci from the gcos revised teaser 2 version then overwrote it. Well it no longer lets me over-write something because I tried to over-write it with the ninja2 bios but it says no free space. I then loaded the ar 1.14 raw back onto my 59 mem card, but now i can't even over write the level3.dol with the teaser version 2 like i did before. So now I'm stuck at gcos 1.4b2 or something and no ninja bios on the mem card :(

Nick101181
09-19-2005, 08:37 PM
i got the slotb.raw that was posted in the other thread to work. thanks

loudias
11-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi all,
Don't know if this has been covered in this thread but...
Why not us the AR + SD Gecko + SD card + SDLoad method... It works out cheaper than the PSO + BBA method.

I have real SD Gecko's in the US for sale for $16 shipped. And you can pick up a 128 MB (yes byte) card here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1510740 for $13.

If interested email me directly at lou@josephbiron.com

Heck with that much space, you could put on the mfe ans Linux dols and other stuff as well.

SD cards are available up to 2GB in size. So you'll be able to slap all your mp3's on there too. Hook up an LCD in a car and the GC's audio through the car stereo and you've got quite a mobile theatre system. It seems the mfe and other apps would need to be recompiled to read the SD card, but the api already exists in libogc. This way you don't have to burn a disc and tweak the pot.

TWJ
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Quicksilv, in one of the previous post you said:

... samson's bootloader NEEDS to be placed on the correct offsets in the mc filesystem...

However, in the vhq-cardwriter_1.1's readme file, it said:

"Because the level 2 bootloader needs to find the action replay database at a fixed offset...make sure you copy the files in the proper order: AR database, level2, level3, gcos!.."

And then the .bat files all followed the file loading sequence specified in the readme.txt (i.e. AR database, then level2, etc.)

It seemed to me that your quote said to load the level2 loader before anything else but the implementation in vhq-cardwriter 1.1 loads the AR database first and then the level2 loader.

According to the Dextrose forum, loading the AR database first may work at the beginning but will cause trouble later when the user updates the AR database (e.g. add a new game/code). Here's what I read from that forum:

"You're getting a black screen because by entering a new code, you made the datelcod.bin file (the file that holds the codes) move, which also made move the level2.bin file. And as bootloader1 loads level2.bin from a fixed position in the memcard, if the files moves, it now loads junk data, which give a black screen.

The only solution I found that allow you to use the bootloader and enter custom AR codes is to backup all your files from the memcard, then wipe it totally by writing a 100% blank image on the memcard (100% blank = you take a raw memcard file, you wipe all the data by filling it with 00es, and you write it to the memcard. Then you format it using the GC), then write back all the files you saved by starting with level2.bin.

After that, you have to make a backup of the memcard, look at which address level2.bin has been written to the memcard (should be 0xA000 or 0xC000), and finally edit the bootloader1 code to make it load the file from this address.

As level2.bin will be stuck at the start of the memcard, it won't move anymore as long as you don't touch it."

Can you please help clarifying which is the proper file loading sequence since I am new to this and would like to understand more before trying it on real hardware. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------

BTW, I found a simple way to format the AR memory card in the Memcard manager in GCARS-CS v0.9.5 thread, it said:

"1. Don't use it with a datel memcard/dongle, any action corrupt it (format after). But listing of files inside is good... "

I suppose one can use this tool to corrupt the AR memory card and then reformat it.

Another tool I found that might be useful for people who want to update the dols in the memory card but did not have PSO in the gcs-loader-v1.0 thread: . It enhanced ctr-gcs with the memory card unlocking capability, but it only works on official GC memory cards. I suppose one can do it on an official card and then copy it over to the AR memory card via the standard GC memory manager.

Vegas
12-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Does anyone have Romans ctr-gcs front end that they could post ?
I have been away from the scene and my HD died
This was the only way I could get files loaded on the MC before and I cant seem to find it anywhere
Thanks in advance

Vegas
12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Does anyone have Romans ctr-gcs front end that they could post ?
I have been away from the scene and my HD died
This was the only way I could get files loaded on the MC before and I cant seem to find it anywhere
Thanks in advance
All of the links that I can find are dead

klaus4040
12-20-2005, 03:48 PM
is that the dos frontend? (batchfile) if so, of course i can post it, but i'm not at home (see other post)

Shane From OZ
01-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi All,

Ok im trying to get Gcos onto a memory card so that i can load it on a UN modded Gamecube.
I used DOLinstall to install Gcos but when i use samsoninstaller it says "Bootsystem installer error detecting Ar version Action Replay V 1.14 Defaulting to V1.06, you'll have to fix the master code yourself", Done.
Can someone please help me here.
Im also a bit confused about this M code change.
I look at the codes on the action replay and each game has its own M code .
I know i have to change the M code to the 3 lines in a previos post but WHICH m code do i change?

Regards Shane

h@Ck3R
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
i think you look for the game Action Replay and edit its (m) code, that's just what ive read. anywayz, im new to this mem card loader thing. i need exact instructions on how to do this. i have everything needed but my action replay IS version 1.06. plz someone, if you know how to do this with this arr version, plz tell me. i dont think i want to take the chance of soldering my new gc (When i get it) ty

Hobbes
01-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

Ok im trying to get Gcos onto a memory card so that i can load it on a UN modded Gamecube.
I used DOLinstall to install Gcos but when i use samsoninstaller it says "Bootsystem installer error detecting Ar version Action Replay V 1.14 Defaulting to V1.06, you'll have to fix the master code yourself", Done.
Can someone please help me here.
Im also a bit confused about this M code change.
I look at the codes on the action replay and each game has its own M code .
I know i have to change the M code to the 3 lines in a previos post but WHICH m code do i change?

Regards Shane

i think you look for the game Action Replay and edit its (m) code, that's just what ive read. anywayz, im new to this mem card loader thing. i need exact instructions on how to do this. i have everything needed but my action replay IS version 1.06. plz someone, if you know how to do this with this arr version, plz tell me. i dont think i want to take the chance of soldering my new gc (When i get it) ty

yes the samsons loader code is named "Action Replay" you change the (m) code to the 3 line universal code.

if you want to use AR1.06 you have to pad it to the size of the AR1.08.dol simply by add 00's in hexadecial with a hex editor. or if you look around you can find ar 1.08 on maxconsole. http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=13475&page=6&pp=15&highlight=ar108

h@Ck3R
01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
wut?? that did not make sense to me. i have gcos1.4.dol and all the other needed files. i have action replay 1.06 and you said to change the (m) code in the game Action Replay (click selct codes and click Action Replay) but i had to add the game action replay. wut r u talking about ar1..08 download? plz help me, ty

Hobbes
01-25-2006, 07:07 PM
wut?? that did not make sense to me. i have gcos1.4.dol and all the other needed files. i have action replay 1.06 and you said to change the (m) code in the game Action Replay (click selct codes and click Action Replay) but i had to add the game action replay. wut r u talking about ar1..08 download? plz help me, ty

ok, a bit of confusion there. the ar1.08 file would be for merging with GCOS1.5 otherwise it would be of no use to you sorry about that.

but aside from that, the rest of message will apply to both of you.

when samsons installer is run on a memcard it SHOULD install a action replay database file to it. with a codeset in the game list called "Action Replay". now i know that samsons loader was originally designed for action replay v1.06, so it should just work as is for you hacker.

when samsons installer says "Bootsystem installer error detecting Ar version Action Replay V 1.14 Defaulting to V1.06, you'll have to fix the master code yourself" that really means that you have the database on your memcard, and that the (m) is wrong for your version. thus you must change it.

hacker if your still confused, what parts are unclear?

h@Ck3R
01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
man, the gc modding is so confusing, i wish it was easy like xbox modding. anywayz, i have 2 mem cards, bba, and qoob sx. i have all the needed files so plz exactly wut do i do. wut i want is to have the gcos bios on a memory card and use my action replay 1.06 to boot it up on an unmodded gc, is that wut this is? ty

Hobbes
01-26-2006, 06:56 PM
OK this should work for you

the install-*.dol's used alcatraz made

Quoted from Alcatraz
On NGC :
1. I run "1 format.dol" (it corrupts the AR memcard)*
2. I format the AR memcard with original IPL
3. I run "2 install-ARcodes.dol" (X, then R button)
4. I run "3 install-level2.dol" (X, then R button)
5. I DON'T run "4 install-gcos15.dol" (it corrupts the AR memcard)
On PC :
6. I rename level3.gci in the rar archive to myfile.gci
7. I run makedol.bat (mctools05)
8. I rename the output dol to "4 install-level3.dol" and I copy it to sdcard
On NGC :
9. I run "4 install-level3.dol" (X, then R button)
10. I redo the same thing X times to copy efal10 and gcos15 into the AR memcards with my own generated dols with mctools05
11. I start the AR with AR memcard in slot B.
12. At the main menu, I unplug the AR memcard, I plug another one with the SDload code, I wait, the code list is updated, I unplug the memcard, I replug the AR memcard, I wait, and I choose update the hardware in option menu.
So I have both codes (SDLoad and Samson code) in the AR memcard.
14. Run Action Replay code in the US list
15. Samson starts : choose your dol
16. Enjoy

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=15455&page=1

* Backup your AR codebase if you have added many codes.

h@Ck3R
01-28-2006, 04:54 PM
where do i get arcode-install.dol and all those files??

Alcatraz
02-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Here's all dols I used.

chuy1984
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi.

Somebody can help me with a gcos2 raw file, to put in my original mem card.???????????????????????

HELP PLEASE. :confused:

Alcatraz
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Hobbes.

I'm happy to see that my tuto is helpfull.
I just want to say that's 3 first steps dols were made by deepblade.
So thanks to him too.

Dany23
01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
i just bought a black GC for 50$ (very good deal :D) and i heard about this softmod with the max drive pro disc/memory card to boot backup GC games via the GCOS 1.5 software.
But the product is discontinued at codejunkies website, so I was wondering, if its possible to use the Action Replax (Max) for GC? I didnt bought it yet, but if the AR disc works the same way as the MDP, then why not buy that?
I don't wanna mod the GC with a modchip because it's cost more
Anybody know the answer?

Dany26