PDA

View Full Version : Team Xtender Replacment Case ISO-420 Certified Review

brakken
06-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Team Xtender Top Half GameCube Replacement Case -Review-
Brakken, 2005
Revision 2

This review has been ISO-420 certified (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews)

Introduction

Brakken is back again brining you another quality review which is ISO-420 certified. I've finally been sent one of Team Xtender's Game Cube top half replacement cases for review.

I am posting this review to clear up misconceptions many people have over rumors circulating about the quality of these cases. Previous reviews posted by Team Xtender's competitors have shown damaged products and made claims with no proof to back it up. I hope you find my review honest as I have taken much time to check all of the cases features and to take pictures and videos for proof.

A case is a case is a case as it should seem, but this case is a step in the right direction compared to the other case on the market. After opening the package it came in the first thing I noticed was it's weight as it's made from a higher quality and thick plastic.

After turning it upside down to take a look inside I noticed that it indeed uses cheaper solutions for the buttons then the original Cube case does and then I also noticed the sides were indeed warped a bit, but nothing compared to other defective cases on the market.

[Image: Orginal, Xtender Case and Other Replacement (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/_3tops.jpg)]

[Image: Mechcanical Comparison (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/3bottoms.jpg)]

Installation

Fitting the case was a breeze except for having to cut one of the screw poles inside the case to make room for the Viper GC chip. One would think that a case made specifically for a Cube with a Viper GC chip in it would have been made to accommodate the chip. I have heard you can relocate your chip, but since I permanently attached it to the fan chassis that wasn't an option. To remove it I took a pair of wire cutters and cut the screw post half way down and then twisted the top half left and right until it broke free.

After the pole was removed the case slid gently down on the bottom half of the Cube and fit perfectly. There were no gaps to be seen, no need to pull out on both sides and find someone else to push down on the case while you try to screw it on. Next I screwed the case on and all four screws fit snug and didn't stay lose. Also there were no grinding and/or plastic warping noises when I tightened the screws.

[Image: Side Angle (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/angle.jpg)]

Opening and closing the lid was not an issue. It doesn't get stuck half way up and when it's closed there is no gap for dust to get in.

[Image: See how well it fits! (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/side.jpg)]

Next came the inserting and removal of full sized media. There is a large gap in the front of the case which will allow you to remove the media using one hand and is hassle free. Many people claimed removing media from these cases was worse then competitors, but I guess we all know who was lying now don't we.

[Movie: Removing Media and Opening the Lid (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/movie1.mov)]

The lights were a nice addition and work well. All you do is press down on the Viper GC logo on the case and they turn on.

The lights are encased under the removable jewel and can be removed and possibly changed with other types of lights. The lights draw their power from internal batteries which can be changed if they run out, but due to the lifetime of LED I doubt you will ever have to change them.

Overall I am very satisfied with this case and hope that the minor problems that are present are fixed in later versions.

[Image: Side Angle with Lights On (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/lights.jpg)]

[Movie: Lightshow! (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/movie2.mov)]

Positives

Installs as promised quickly and easily!

Great quality plastic! Very sturdy!

Dip in the front of the lid to remove media with one hand!

The handle is still present on the back for easy portability!

Built in removable blue LED light show!

You can still see the original LED shine!

Negatives

If you're using a Viper GC chip mounted on the fan chassis you will have to find a pair of wire cutters or tin snips and remove the screw post that is positioned where the Viper GC chip sits. The only way around this is to move the chip.

There is no place for a normal sized jewel and it comes pre-tagged with a Viper GC sticker. The sticker is about the same quality as other cases, but I think you should have had the option to put it on yourself. Luckily you can replace the jewel, but so far there are no replacement jewels available.

Conclusion

As this case is the second one to hit the market one would hope that it would surpass the other alternative and it has! I'm completely satisfied with this case and was left with a good feeling when I installed it. Sure this case has minor flaws, but compared to other flaws plaguing other cases they are barely noticeable.

If you weren't one of the unlucky people to jump on the bandwagon and purchase a faulty case I would highly recommend this case as it's worth the money you will spend on it and if you are one of those unlucky people and actually care about what you buy and are plagued with problems I would also recommend replacing your old case right away!

plan-9
06-01-2005, 11:50 PM
decent review. why didnt you complain more about having to modify a case that should already have been modified like you did with the hushtrap? the lid looks to completely fly open. how does it close? you didnt say if it was as smooth as the original case or a bit harder like the hushtrap. can you take another pic of the lid open perhaps with a fullsize disc inside..so we can see the little gap in the front where you can take the disc out? you can see it in the vid..but i would like to see a better image of it. man..those leds looks compeletely retarded. have no idea how people can like that shit. but that colour..the transparent indigo is damn sweet. overall..i still think you were and still are too hard on the hushtrap cases..as mine is still perfectly fine. and maybe a little too easy on this case. you still have to modify it to get it to fit properly(something i didnt have to do with my hushtrap). the lid looks to be insanely fast to pop up. im sure that could easily be fixed though by tightening a screw. again..try to get some more pics of a fullsize disc inside. would really like to see more of the case. overall though..i wouldnt think anyone would go out and replace their hushtraps for this one. they look pretty much identical and do the exact same thing. now only 1 more case left. see how long that one takes to come out.

Chanser
06-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Get a better Digicam please, don't mind reading your reviews but I believe good pictures make your review look good.

Move your post to the case modding forum?

Phantom8
06-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Chanser
Get a better Digicam please, don't mind reading your reviews but I believe good pictures make your review look good.

Move your post to the case modding forum?

The lid opens up way too fast. Is there any way to make it open like the original Gamecube case? The recent batch of Hushcrap has a smooth opening mechanism.

SephirothTNH
06-02-2005, 01:55 AM
I think people were over reacting with the first case review however, I have to admit it seems like you were a little easier on this one as opposed to the hushtrap. You would think that since they call it a viper case that it would be able to accomadate a viper chip, in standard placement, without modification. The Color is pretty sweet but I want something a little more stock looking. So I'm hoping the third case will be great.

plan-9
06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
the third case will not look stock at all. they did release a sample pic a long time ago..and it really wasnt stock looking.

as for the lid opening far too fast...i would think that you could probably just tighten the screw on one of the hinges. that would probably slow it down.

Xboxmodder999
06-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by plan-9
the third case will not look stock at all. they did release a sample pic a long time ago..and it really wasnt stock looking.

Who said it needs to look stock?

plan-9
06-02-2005, 10:36 AM
i was replying to the post above mine.

"The Color is pretty sweet but I want something a little more stock looking. So I'm hoping the third case will be great."

hey sounds like hes hoping the 3rd case will look stock. and it wont.

Xboxmodder999
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Ah, I didn't notice the stock part in his post before.

SephirothTNH
06-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Chikushou. I guess the Hushtrap is the one for me then. It looks most stock and I want to spray paint it anyway as well as cut the center out and have my own custom led lit jewl. I just wish it had a spot for the power led.

I guess I'm getting off topic now so I'm sorry.

dveg
06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a xtm/viper case and am very happy,noticed someone has a problem with the speed of opening!

i placed a small piece of package foam in the hinge part
slows down great,someone might try rubber sealant or that sort of thing but be careful
hope this helps.

pixelhub
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SephirothTNH
I just wish it had a spot for the power led.
You could always mod the case to fit the original led piece something like this HERE (http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/pixelhub/Image1.gif) (its not the best picture but you get the idea)

with the LED something like this HERE (http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/pixelhub/Image2.gif)

The best way to keep it looking stock is to mod the original case.

Personally, I prefer the hushtrap case to the xtender case, it just looks better. The leds on the xtender look annoying and I can,t see people wanting to have them on all the time.

Xboxmodder999
06-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by pixelhub

Personally, I prefer the hushtrap case to the xtender case, it just looks better. The leds on the xtender look annoying and I can,t see people wanting to have them on all the time.

You don't have to have the LEDS on, you just press down on the Viper sticker to toggle them on and off.

brakken
06-02-2005, 02:47 PM
What is the problem with the Digi Cam I am using? It possible might the the lighting? I am going to to take a couple pictures of the case outside and see how they turn out.

As for the quality of the pictures they are much better then a lot of pictures I see, but I only had around $500 to spend on a camera so I doubt I could of bought one of those $15,000 professional ones. I had cheeckymonkey complaing to me about the quality, but when I look at his guide pictures (http://www.consoleworkshop.co.uk/Tutorials/GC%20laser%20tweak.php) they are worse quality then mine.

brakken
06-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Outside Side Angle

brakken
06-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Outside Gap for Full Sized DVD

liquitt
06-02-2005, 04:09 PM
nice new photos and also a great review, thx for that brakken, thumbs up !

plan-9
06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
thanks for the extra pics brakken. it doesnt look like theres more room to get the discs out..but the gap is in a better place. but man do i really like that transparent indigo. looks very sharp. what other colours do they have? werent they making a transparent black one as well?

thecheekymonkey
06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by brakken
What is the problem with the Digi Cam I am using? It possible might the the lighting? I am going to to take a couple pictures of the case outside and see how they turn out.

As for the quality of the pictures they are much better then a lot of pictures I see, but I only had around $500 to spend on a camera so I doubt I could of bought one of those $15,000 professional ones. I had cheeckymonkey complaing to me about the quality, but when I look at his guide pictures (http://www.consoleworkshop.co.uk/Tutorials/GC%20laser%20tweak.php) they are worse quality then mine.

ow, for one , dont fuking bring my name into this
for a start your pictures initially where crap, and i mean utter crap.

the picture at the top is crap, not enough light, which you have corrected in the later photos.

you dont need to spend alot of money on a camera to take decent photos, and certainly not a $15000, you just need to RTFM = Read The Fookin Manual.

the pictures in my guide dont need to be detailed, and they are shrunk jpegs.

Im trying my best to keep out of your posts, as we both just dont like each other so just grow the fuck up and keep out of my way, and i`ll do like wise.

so from now on just keep my name out of this.............

brakken
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
thanks for the extra pics brakken. it doesnt look like theres more room to get the discs out..but the gap is in a better place. but man do i really like that transparent indigo. looks very sharp. what other colours do they have? werent they making a transparent black one as well?

So far all I know of is the clear case that will be shipping soon. As I'm a complete n00b to taking photos I will try to take them all outside now until I can get good lighting in my room.

As for the room it is plenty more then the other guys case as I can do it with a single finger.

This whole review deal has been a good learning experience. I hope you can all see my reviews getting better. I'll add how to take photos on my list of things to learn.

plan-9
06-02-2005, 08:12 PM
yes the 2 newer photos are a whole lot better. and i can take out discs with 1 finger with my hushtrap as well. not really that hard. but the placement of the gap is in a very good spot on the xcm lids. they need more colours. better stickers..at least do a vinyl sticker like the hushtraps..especially since youre going to be touching it a lot to turn on and off the leds. but both companies should have made it so you could use the original gamecube jewel. you still havent answered me on how it closes. is it like the hushtrap or the smooth and easy way like the original lid?
and yes this review is better than the hushtrap review..the hushtrap review got way too negative..especially when you see some of the same faults in the xcm lids..if anything..you should be more hard on xcm since they should have looked at the faults of the hushtraps and fixed them. but again..they are both cheap replacement lids meant only to allow fullsize discs. if you want the real deal shit i think both of us can agree everyone will have to wait for the xecuter cases. but who knows when those will come out. last i remember reading is they announced the colours and hinted that the cases may accomidate the gc hdd addon.

brakken
06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Yes my other review was more harsh, but after listening to many people and purchasing some technical and critical writings books I have been learning.

I don't mind the lid opening as fast as it does, but I guess if you did care then this lid opens as fast as the first other cases that came onto the market.

I agree this is a mid-quality case wheras the other cases are low quality and can't wait for the high end cases to be made.

Sextreme
06-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Where do the leds get their power from?

Xboxmodder999
06-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Sextreme
Where do the leds get their power from?

I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing that you unplugg the fan, plug the led thing in, then plug the fan into the top of the led plug.

brakken
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
The LED's have an internal battery which can be changed. I am going to take some more pictures and a new video shortly.

brakken
06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh shit the jewel is removable :P

brakken
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM
No Gap

brakken
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Removed Jewel

brakken
06-03-2005, 05:00 PM
LED Assembly

brakken
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Full Sized DVD Removal Comparison

http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews/xtendercase/movie3.mov

brakken
06-03-2005, 05:05 PM
On a side note I would like to reply to the recent post by the known super trashy sellout Console Junky and his buddy Cheecky Monkey on his webpage www.consolejunky.com

If you are linking from Console Junky who happens to have been fired from HushTrap for being a poor PR rep you might be interested in why he is finally trying to attack me. Read about it on my PS2BANZ page (http://ps2banz.pxn-os.com). You can clearly see he has a personal vendeta, but I am glad to see he's not freaking out this time.

My reviews are based on the samples given or that I purchase. I am affiliated with no company and make money off of no company. I've spent more money and time from my own pocket then I have recieved in samples. Samples that I do not use will be donated to various causes.

Sites I work free for may be affiliated with certain companies, but I do not profit nor let these affiliates influence me in any way, shape or form. I made this clear to each site before I became a member of it and will pull support and go public if any site tries to pull any kind of crap on me.

Certain threads may have been locked due to abuse by Console Junky/HushTrap/PS2NFO affiliates. If you read the threads you will clearly see they were being abused.

When it comes down to it the HushTrap cases are worse quality and have the same and more defects then the Team Xtender cases do.

If you have been around to go through this whole ordeal I'm sure you know what is really going on which is ... Console Junky is just trying to push the HushTrap cases.

As for the AheadGames deal at the time of my HushTrap review they were still selling the cases. HushTrap ripped off AheadGames along with many other resellers and users and was just trying to cover it up. AheadGames was one of the only stores to compensate their customers out of their own pocket. Want to know more? Read the PS2BANZ link above!

If you're going to purchase a product of course read as many reviews as possible and word of mouth goes a long way. I love this line of text from Console Junky ...

"We will let you you make up your own minds on this one, as you can read the reviews yourself. "

It's like he is assuming people are too stupid to make up their own mind and reminding them they can read the reviews themselves. Very funny indeed.

For those of you interested in the review of the really bad quality HushTrap cases see my ISO-420 Reviews (http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/content/reviews).

Soon after I wrote this the original link to this review vanished from his main page and he left a mirror :)

Nice try you ps2nfo sellouts!

DeVS
06-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Who is selling XCM cases?

Xboxmodder999
06-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DeVS
Who is selling XCM cases?

Do a search for XCM gamecube case, it will come up with plenty of places that sale them.

Google is usefull you know ;)

DeVS
06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I asked becuase I want to use someone who a member here has good experience ordering a case from already. Thanks for the internet "how to" though.:rolleyes:

gulliver
06-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Good review brakken. Glad to see that you're doing research on reviewing. That's way more than anyone else would do.

I can tell by looking at it that the disc is way easier to remove. I remember that first "review" that was bitching about how IMPOSSIBLE it is to get the disc out and that there's even less room on these cases than the hushcrap. Remember, it was the guy that bought one at a fair? I bet he won't be showing his face in this thread - lol.

brakken
06-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Yes the mystery fair fellow who happened to come across the same fair as a HushTrap affiliate, who happened to see and buy the same case, who happened to visit these same fourms and who happened to give it a bad review :)

I have posted a video comparing the removal of the media above if you missed it ...

gulliver
06-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Yes the mystery fair fellow who happened to come across the same fair as a HushTrap affiliate, who happened to see and buy the same case, who happened to visit these same fourms and who happened to give it a bad review :)

I have posted a video comparing the removal of the media above if you missed it ...

Interesting...;)

gulliver
06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey brakken, I've been trying to PM you put your mailbox is full.

thecheekymonkey
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM

:confused:

brakken
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by gulliver
Hey brakken, I've been trying to PM you put your mailbox is full.

Yes this happens almost twice daily. Lots of kids needed modded systems, asking questions about the FAQ and commenting on my reviews and this Console Junky/PS2NFO trash.

I would try emailing me instead and that goes for everyone else who likes to PM. Or you can catch me online using AIM; check my profile for contact information.

Quantumsource
06-05-2005, 02:17 AM
can the jewel of the new XCM cases be removed or changed. It would be cool if it could so I wouldn't have to have a Viper GC logo on my Qoob. Or am I just gonna have to wait till XECUTER

brakken
06-05-2005, 02:52 AM
The small jewel from the transparent cases can indeed be removed and also the larger jewel from the new solid color cases can also be removed.

oetvarken
06-05-2005, 04:26 AM
Someone wants to break his cube.....you know when removing games from the GC that you need to press the eject button on the drive it self!

And the plastic doesn't really look from a better quality then the Hushtrap ones, but I could be wrong.

All in all a okay review

brakken
06-05-2005, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by oetvarken
Someone wants to break his cube.....you know when removing games from the GC that you need to press the eject button on the drive it self!

And the plastic doesn't really look from a better quality then the Hushtrap ones, but I could be wrong.

All in all a okay review

The drive itself has a head with 3 small round metal balls that go in and out when removing media. Yes you can press down on the assembly to bring in the balls to remove it, but you can also just snatch out the disc which is what most people do and are used to. This is no way harms the DVD assembly as it's about impossible to wear down the hard plastic and metal balls.

The case is much better quality. It weighs more, is thicker, has a better finish and looks like much better quality plastic.

Thanks for the kind words about my review!

Kazuya
06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
The small jewel from the transparent cases can indeed be removed and also the larger jewel from the new solid color cases can also be removed.

Is the jewel on the newer XCM cases the same size as the official Nintendo jewel and are they interchangable?

gulliver
06-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Kazuya
Is the jewel on the newer XCM cases the same size as the official Nintendo jewel and are they interchangable?

Yeah, it looks really small, but that's probably because the lid fits full-size discs.

Del_Usion
06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
I just got my clear version of the case from AheadGames, and I agree with most of the views on the XCM case. It fist very well, and as I have a Qoob, no cutting was necessary (although I did mod my Gameboy adapter to fit the programmer). I do have a couple related minor complaints. On the top of the lid there are some marks that appear to be from wet sanding, but I wasn't able to capture them with my camera. It also appears that the light was installed when the wet sanding was taking place because the lightweight PCB is heavily warped. Everything still works, but the PCB is kind of crusty and warped. The sanding marks really aren't noticible, and I am sure I will be able to make them disappear with a light buff. Here are some pictures:

Del_Usion
06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Here's the side with a view of my Qoob:

Del_Usion
06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Here's the crusty PCB:

Del_Usion
06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
You can see the warp pretty clearly:

Xboxmodder999
06-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Kazuya

The solid color cases have a full size jewel, which can be removed and replaced. The clear ones still have the small jewel, so that you can see the LEDS easily when they are on.

gulliver
06-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Ick, that crusty PCB is gross. I would send it back.

animalchin
06-16-2005, 07:01 AM
just to clarify,the 'full size' jewel, that's the same size as on the stock case right? and can anyone vouch for the basic purple one being a good match for the stock case?

brakken
06-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I should have a sample of the solid color newly designed jewel xtender case today and will verify the size of jewel and color of case prior to my review for you. Hopefully it will come before 7PM EST so check back after that time.

Jamma14
06-19-2005, 05:46 AM
I've got the solid colour case and it is good quality, solid plastic with no noticeable warping and the jewel is v pretty. Only prob was I need to trim the pole thing to fit in my viper. So they obviously haven't taken it out :( .
But apart from that a quality case. Would recommend. O and the jewel is normal size, but trust me you won't want to change it.:p

Kaseryn
09-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Moved! #random ramblings to satisfy the fascist post length monitor#

Xboxmodder999
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
I have the solid orange case and yep the jewel is the same size as the stock jewel.. i elected to transfer the original gamecube jewel to the new case by preference and it snaps right in. These cases ROCK. The fit and build quality are awesome.. the trick they've worked out for incorporating the qoob usb pcb into the case solidly is brilliant.. it snaps in and doesnt move at all thereafter. Before this i had to use Piodata ritek dye mini's.. now i've been using full size ridisc [ritek] and every single burn plays.. even some that didnt work on the Piodatas! I like the new way the led is.. the screws are a little tighter than on the old case but thats to be expected on a new one. I got a good chrome vanadium screwdriver off Ebay with the GC shape and they tightened up fine.. no slipping. A lot of the gamebit drivers suck and blunt off quickly. Its pretty much perfect.. i did wonder if the BBA being black would look odd but what with the jewel, cards and controller being the same colour it actually balances great.. 2 tone all over. Do yourself a favour and get one of these.

It sounds like you are talking about the Xecuter complete case replacement... this is the thread for the Xtender replacement top.

Kaseryn
09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
doh! ur right :o

Trigger911
12-08-2006, 06:56 AM
i just ordered one of these bad boys from diveno i hope it looks good i got the purple clear one because i think it will match better with my black bottem thanx for ur great reviews brakken it realy does help the scene

l8z

Triggz Out

bilbobaggins
12-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Ick, that crusty PCB is gross. I would send it back.

tottaly looks odd

admin-blackcats
01-08-2009, 01:02 AM
oh yea, my 1st post

sjohal112
02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Cool thats really cool/

VANG11
04-16-2009, 12:50 AM
it's good to read..

theend757
06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
hmm I never thought of that. Sound great. solid color cases looks great.

Inzone
11-02-2009, 06:27 AM
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii