New Update Is Rolling Out Across The PlayStation Land
Sony has confirmed that they are now releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3.
With added 'Stereo headset support' and the ability to 'Multi-copy your game saves'.
Sony has confirmed that during Tuesday they will roll-out the new FW v4.20 for the PS3 which will include "a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience".
Here are the official details:
Also, here is the "full" list of updates, according to NeoGaf:Firstly, we have revised specifications for the power-save mode in compliance with SCEE regulations. This means that the system will now, as default, be set to automatically turn off after 1 hour of no use.
These settings can, however, be manually adjusted via ‘System Auto-Off’ in the Settings on the XMB.
Also, as mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the “Wireless Stereo Headset” when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone”. Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve “sidetone” audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio or give you the option to turn this feature off completely.
For those of you who use the “Wireless Stereo Headset “to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3 system, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality giving you a superior audio experience.
We have also improved saved data management. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete them or copy them as a group.
It has been also reported that the AACS encryption key has been updated for BD-Video content, and possible background changes have been made in the way PS3 auth. with PSN, so that means it could be possible those using workarounds to connect to PSN on CFW v3.55 will now or soon be knocked back off-line.Wireless Stereo Headset
- When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
- Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
- 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset
- Auto Off
- You can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off. Under (Settings) > (Power Save Settings) > [System Auto-Off] you will be able amend the time for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features]:
- Video/TV/Music/Photo – After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
- Game/Other Features – After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
- If you enabled [System Auto-Off] in system software prior to version 4.20, the selected time will be set for both [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [Game/Other Features].
- The default settings are [After 4 Hours] for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [After 1 Hour] for [Game/Other Features].
Save Game Selection
- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
- You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
- Some saved data cannot be copied.
- The upper right corner of the screen displays: the number of saved data items that are selected, the total number of saved data items and the total file size of the saved data items that are selected.
So you are warned, the new system software update will be live on Tuesday, June 26. As always, update at your own risk!
NEWS SOURCE #1: PS3 System software update v4.20 (via) EU PlayStation Blog
NEWS SOURCE #2: PS3 firmware 4.20 update due tomorrow (via) VG247
Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!