It was decided within 'the last few weeks'.
According to 'several' Kotaku sources, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is dead.
However, Square Enix still plans to expand the 'original' Final Fantasy XIII story in the upcoming months.
That's right, according to 'several' sources of Kotaku, Final Fantasy Versus XIII for PS3 is no more.
Yes, “the game, as originally intended, is done for.”
Well, this is still a rumor, but considering the lack of game media lately, this could be pretty real. However, take it with a grain of salt.According to Kotaku’s sources, the game was officially cancelled “within the last few weeks.” Rather than make an official announcement, Square Enix has chose to let it die quietly and fade away, as it fears it could impact the company’s stock prices.
One source told the site that a few months ago, Final Fantasy Versus XIII‘s “development and resources” were folded over to the company’s next, numbered production, Final Fantasy XV. It is unclear whether that means the game’s actual assets and code were moved over, or simply the staff. Another source added that he had learned of the “folding” prior to the more recent cancellation news.
Asked if the game was still in development, Square Enix told Kotaku: “We have no information on the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.”
NOW, one thing's sure. Square-Enix plans to present the next expansion of the -original- Final Fantasy XIII project on September (in Japan):
XIII-3 or a new DLC? We will know for sure in the upcoming weeks!On September 1, at 11:30 local time, Square Enix will outline its future plans for Final Fantasy XIII at a stage event called, “Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga: New Developments Presentation.” The game’s director, producer, and art director will detail the next expansion of the Final Fantasy XIII project. Previously, it’s been hinted Square will announce a third entry to the saga, Final Fantasy XIII-3. Between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, the project has sold 9.6 million units worldwide.
At 17:30 on the same date, Square Enix will host its “Final Fantasy XIV Special Talk Show,” wich will share the latest details on the MMORPG’s upcoming 2.0 update, as well as the PlayStation 3 version. Producer Naoki Yoshida will be in attendance.
On September 2, at 11:30, Square Enix will host a “Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary Stage,” which will look back at the first Final Fantasy to use polygons with the compilation’s voice actors. Then, at 14:30, Square will host its “Square Enix Chan! Presents” radio broadcast, where it plans to discuss the future of the series with guests including Hajime Tabata, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, and Yusuke Naora.
NEWS SOURCE #1: Rumor Final Fantasy versus XIII canceled (via) Gematsu
NEWS SOURCE #2: Square-Enix to host Final Fantasy XIII new developments presentation on September 1 (via) Gematsu
Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!