DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - PS3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

psp won't turn on. shorted out by outlet while charging.!

I was going to charge my psp and plugged it in the outlet and it shocked my psp. And now it won't turn on. What do I need to replace to be able to bring it to life again?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Can that really happen?
    What did you do? Is your charger a genuine one or generic?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Yes it can happen, though rare. It's called a voltage surge. Usually happens in older homes or if the charger/ outlet has a shorted wire. Or if a resistor in the charger fails, or if a capacitor over stores a charge.(fails)
    Any way, Google psp fuses. (they are really resistors) I might have a picture of your psp motherboards resistor. (what is your psp motherboard version?) You need to repair the power/charging resistor. (you can simply bridge it) My results have been 9/10 psps are repairable this way. It depends on if the surge made it past the first resistor and damaged the motherboard. (also depends on the model) Then sometimes they are repairable by modding the usb port to act as the charger. Our if you want you can send it to me and I'll fix it or I'll buy it via pay-pal and you can send it to me.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Interesting. I wonder if you can post pictures of the power fuse of a TA085 motherboard? My PSP does not power on, so I would like to check the power fuse. I already checked the fuse located near the battery terminal connector & labeled TB, but that has continuity. Any help will be appreciated.
    Regards.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaliya48 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if you can post pictures of the power fuse of a TA085 motherboard? My PSP does not power on, so I would like to check the power fuse. I already checked the fuse located near the battery terminal connector & labeled TB, but that has continuity. Any help will be appreciated.
    Regards.
    I'd use a thin strip of copper from a small gauge wire (acts like a fuse) and try bridging it anyway. Just because there is continuity doesn't always mean the resistor is functioning correctly. (Here is a alright MULTI-METER TUTORIAL
    There are all sorts of false positives you could be getting.(IE a cold solder joint, or growing hairs. The new non-lead solder can grow microscopic hairs that can mess things up.)
    Also the only real way to test a resistor is to test it before soldering and the psp resistors are so small they'll read as fail on most multi-meters After TB should be the right resistor, if it's power. Otherwise the power IC may have poor contact (how many ever ball solder connections are under that. It's a "BGA") But the only way I know of fixing that is if you have your own re-flow station. (maybe hot air soldering iron could fix it)
    Here is a good FUSE DIAGRAM from acidmods. WARNING: Do not ever use a "cold heat" soldering iron for electronics, they are not grounded and arc electric current which will ruin your psp. Make sure your using a grounded soldering iron. Radio shack sells a ok 15 volt grounded soldering iron. (You'll need to buy a small chisel tip) the pencil tips don't work that well as the solder tends to pool above the tip making it difficult to make solid joints.
    Good luck! Also if you are inexperienced at smd or (surface mounted component) soldering, you should practice on a garbage pcb. If you watch youtube clips "Best inc" has the best tutorials on how to actually solder smd.
    Last edited by DLoc; 01-20-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

thanks

i opened it up and saw the resistor had exploded, leaving a mark on the back of the lcd screen which was tiny. i had no skills in in soldering and tried bridging it but it didnt work because i dint know how to make the solder stick on it. so i decided to buy a new motherboard of the same kind and popped it in and it works(luckily, the one i bought was a cfw). thanks for the tipss!!! sadly i killed a repairable mobo.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DLoc View Post
    I'd use a thin strip of copper from a small gauge wire (acts like a fuse) and try bridging it anyway. Just because there is continuity doesn't always mean the resistor is functioning correctly. (Here is a alright MULTI-METER TUTORIAL
    There are all sorts of false positives you could be getting.(IE a cold solder joint, or growing hairs. The new non-lead solder can grow microscopic hairs that can mess things up.)
    Also the only real way to test a resistor is to test it before soldering and the psp resistors are so small they'll read as fail on most multi-meters After TB should be the right resistor, if it's power. Otherwise the power IC may have poor contact (how many ever ball solder connections are under that. It's a "BGA") But the only way I know of fixing that is if you have your own re-flow station. (maybe hot air soldering iron could fix it)
    Here is a good FUSE DIAGRAM from acidmods. WARNING: Do not ever use a "cold heat" soldering iron for electronics, they are not grounded and arc electric current which will ruin your psp. Make sure your using a grounded soldering iron. Radio shack sells a ok 15 volt grounded soldering iron. (You'll need to buy a small chisel tip) the pencil tips don't work that well as the solder tends to pool above the tip making it difficult to make solid joints.
    Good luck! Also if you are inexperienced at smd or (surface mounted component) soldering, you should practice on a garbage pcb. If you watch youtube clips "Best inc" has the best tutorials on how to actually solder smd.
    Wow! Thank you for specifying this. So you think I should bridge the power fuse anyway? I have ordered a battery and should receive it next week, if there is still no signs of life from my PSP, I will consider bridging the fuse. The thing is I am a complete noob with multimeters and soldering!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    If you want, I could do it for you. (you pay registered mail, postage both ways of course. And I'm not responsible for damage during shipping)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    If you want, I could do it for you. (you pay registered mail, postage both ways of course. And I'm not responsible for damage during shipping)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DLoc View Post
    I am not in the USA, so I don't think it will be feasible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast