DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - PS3

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

I have a dream...

...that I can have an HTPC with an emotion engine built in that'll play PS2 games through one DVD/BluRay drive without adding too much bulk to it and without having to rely on emulation.

Is this impossible?!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddbludd View Post
    ...that I can have an HTPC with an emotion engine built in that'll play PS2 games through one DVD/BluRay drive without adding too much bulk to it and without having to rely on emulation.

Is this impossible?!

it is now, but until april 1st you could buy a 60gb ps3 that would have played ps2 games and otheros could have taken care of your media and streaming needs using yellowdog

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    it is now, but until april 1st you could buy a 60gb ps3 that would have played ps2 games and otheros could have taken care of your media and streaming needs using yellowdog
    Did Yellow Dog resolve the issue with OtherOS where it would be slow as hell?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddbludd View Post
    Did Yellow Dog resolve the issue with OtherOS where it would be slow as hell?
    in a word, NO but like it or not a 60gb ps3 with other os is still the closest thing to your "dream" even if it is a bit of a nightmare.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    in a word, NO but like it or not a 60gb ps3 with other os is still the closest thing to your "dream" even if it is a bit of a nightmare.
    I guess what I was wondering is if there's a way to mod or scavenge PS2 parts and put it into a working computer. Particularly the Emotion Engine and any parts needed to play games. A computer/PS2 hybrid of sorts. I've seen guides to making the PS2 into an HTPC but I don't think it could do everything I'm imagining...

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I think that would be cool but i think it would require some serious experience and capability with circuit board building. Im sure you would have to build some sort of bus that could translate whatever code the emotion engine translates to work with and intercommunicate with your htpc.

Million dollar project anyone? Theres plenty of scrap PS2's you could use. Hell someone should rebuild a slim and make it an HTPC. Im sure it could be handled.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    another thought

you could get a phat ps2, a copy of twisted metal online (the pack with the network adapter) and a ps2linux kit (or a modchip an a copy of the ps2linux kit), obviously you wouldnt have blu-ray but it would do the other stuff you wanted.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon