ModChipCentral - 3DS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash carts

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Flash carts

Hello all

Just wondering what sort of flash cart should I get?
    I only just finished fixing a ds lite for myself and I don't know much about flash cards and flashing.
    I found a couple of flash cards on ebay-R4,TTcard, and an AceKard.
    What do you guy's reccomend for a first flash cart?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spooner View Post
    Hello all

Just wondering what sort of flash cart should I get?
    I only just finished fixing a ds lite for myself and I don't know much about flash cards and flashing.
    I found a couple of flash cards on ebay-R4,TTcard, and an AceKard.
    What do you guy's reccomend for a first flash cart?
    i'd go with an acekard 2 (or 2i) dirt cheap and they have a pretty dedicated open source community developing stuff for them (check gbatemp.net), the r4 nowadays is mostly fakes, i wouldnt however buy from ebay as you are likely to be overcharged by too much.

you should be looking to pay no more than 9 / $12.50 including shipping charges from one of the reliable chinese webstores.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

AceKard

Thanks alot! This website is very good!
    I think I may have to order from somewhere else because there are hardly any flash cards on ebay and they are way too overpriced!
    But I think I'll go with the AceKard

What is the difference between acekard 2i and 2?

Thanks for your advice!!!!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Thanks alot! This website is very good!
    I think I may have to order from somewhere else because there are hardly any flash cards on ebay and they are way too overpriced!
    But I think I'll go with the AceKard

What is the difference between acekard 2i and 2?

Thanks for your advice!!!!
    the 2i was developed for use with the dsi and is the latest version its been out a while but is more upgradeable so it can be used on both the dsi and 3ds as well as the older ds and dsl, in all honesty i'd get the 2i but watch out for the acekard 3 its a fake as are all other names except acekard rpg which is VERY expensive (around $80) and very old, since you are looking to use it on a dsl you should also look into finding an ez 3 in 1 card for the slot 2 of the dsl, that will give you gba games compatibility, extended memory for things like ds linux and some emulators and the ability to run the ds browser.

in the past i would have always recommended the cyclo ds evolution however it seems that development / support for that has now finished whereas the acekard 2i is still getting support and is a great basic card.

i'd suggest you take a look at volumerates.com for an ak2i, its run by one of the guys who used to run the trade side of dealextreme so its a reliable supplier although of course i should warn about delays due to the xmas rush and upcoming chinese new year shutdown but those are caused by china / hk post not volumerates.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

AceKard

Great stuff thanks heaps!
    So the gba slot on the dsl can be used as a memory bus with the ez adapter? That would be great if I can have two sd cards in the ds especially as you said for like linux and stuff.,.

The computer I'm typing on right now is an ubuntu (linux) operating system and it works very well on this pentium 4 (lol), so linux would be suited to a dslite because they don't have much memory. maybe puppy linux would work or there might be a specially designed version for ds, I'll have to find out.

I read that once you've put linux on dsl you can never use the dsl os again... Is this true?
    I have a spare firmware chip anyway so I could always swap it when I felt like using ds os right?
    The ds lite firmware chip is VERY easy to swap so unless linux embeds itself into other memory chips I can't see the problem, swapping the firmware chip should change the os back.

Thankyou very much!!!!!!!!!!

(at last a sight without those annoying pop up things that yell at you ''' QUICK! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A VIRUS BEFORE THE TIME RUNS OUT!!!"

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Great stuff thanks heaps!
    So the gba slot on the dsl can be used as a memory bus with the ez adapter? That would be great if I can have two sd cards in the ds especially as you said for like linux and stuff.,.

The computer I'm typing on right now is an ubuntu (linux) operating system and it works very well on this pentium 4 (lol), so linux would be suited to a dslite because they don't have much memory. maybe puppy linux would work or there might be a specially designed version for ds, I'll have to find out.

I read that once you've put linux on dsl you can never use the dsl os again... Is this true?
    I have a spare firmware chip anyway so I could always swap it when I felt like using ds os right?
    The ds lite firmware chip is VERY easy to swap so unless linux embeds itself into other memory chips I can't see the problem, swapping the firmware chip should change the os back.

Thankyou very much!!!!!!!!!!

(at last a sight without those annoying pop up things that yell at you ''' QUICK! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A VIRUS BEFORE THE TIME RUNS OUT!!!"
    firstly dont worry, you dont flash ds linux it loads like any other homebrew but there are two versions, one for the extended memory and one without so no need to change anything. tbh the ds really isnt too great at linux but someone had to do it

secondly the ez 3in1 has no card slot, you simply load the games from from the acekard menu (and its memory card) just like any ds game, (if using the akaio firmware).

i cant comment on the advert situation as i dont see any (using either iron or xb browsers with ad killers) but yes, it does seem that some care has gone into the adverts getting displayed.

by the way, how did you find this place and what persuaded you to join? i'm only asking because since the shutdown / change of ownership it seems to be pretty quiet now or at least a lot quieter than it used to be so whatever we were doing right for you can maybe be used to attract a few more people here.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Red face Ds

Thanks for replying so quick! I was just joking about those ads I can't believe that people actually click on them!!! I saw a funny one once it was like: ''this is real'' OH SURE!! This site is brilliantly secured I have yet to see one here!

Anyway real pity people aren't coming to this site.... I came across it because I found some thread on bricked ds lites and I do know a bit about how these things work since I rebuilt one and wanted to help other people because I love fixing things So I went into great detail about how to tell if it's bricked/replacing the firmware chip but suddenly everyone has stopped posting... maybe it was an old thread it wasn't like anyone was posting still i don't think....I don't think people are interested in fixing their consoles or their too scared to mod them/ have a good muck around with it. Now thats pretty sad if you agree with me.

I only just joined about last week, so i don't know what this site was like before but I think it's brilliant and already i have learnt a lot of stuff I didn't know about! It's absolutely fantastic when people help others like this! The idea of this site is great: JUST about game consoles and that!!!!!

So why are people heading off? here's what I think:The 3ds just came out and the dsl is discontinued.... Nintendo are threatening modders that's for sure. Nintendo just announced that they can tell if someone has been modding their 3ds and that they (Nintendo) have the legal right and ability to brick the console!!!!!!!!!!!!! How morally wrong is that????? The console is our personal property after all... I mean anyone who bought the 3ds paid good money for their console and now nintendo are pulling out all their guns out at once with their ''intellectual property rights''. Basically they don't want people fiddling with the stuff they make because we might just be one step ahead of them! Now I do like my dsl but I think Nintendo shouldn't be doing this....
    Fortunately for us , I have yet to hear of any consoles security system that has not been succesfully hacked. The playstation, xbox etc were all hacked within months of their release.

The r4 cards in some ways were nintendo's big enemy: of course there were ''legitimate users'' of the r4 card so nintendo really couldn't ban it. ( I can't see how modding is not legitimate but...) The potential of that little device is huge, and with people working out how to use it to mod their console and get games/apps for free, ( no I don't believe in downloading pirated games) this was nintendos WORST enemy. so they blocked the r4 in the 3ds with their legendary security. The flash card was gone, forever! NO MORE MUCKING ABOUT WITH OUR NEW OFFERING GUYS! HOORAY! Or so they thought. 3ds r4 cards are already available now so nintendo must be kicking themselves because now the 3ds it's going to be hacked and played with just like the ds range! HAHA NINTENDO! BIG FAIL GUYS! Already, people have taken the first step! thats great! but...

At the moment, alot of people are paranoid about modding their brand new console because of Nintendo's supposedly unbeatable security setup. but just wait. Theres always a few that'll give it a shot! In my opinion,It won't be long before someone figures out how to disable the security...and when they do we'll all be having loads of fun getting the things that nintendo didn't want us too out of our consoles once again! Once people believe that this security is lame and that they can get through it, no one will be scared of it!! I mean who thinks that sony were succesful with their ps2 security? I DON'T!

And thankyou for reccomending that website! They look great! They have r4 for like 5 bucks but they might be fake like you said so I'll get the aceKard only 12 bucks though best I've seen plus some come loaded with the kernel! but will I need to flash my dsL to do linux I can and probably will once I get my ak2i ( or to nintendo, my ak47 lol)

Please tell me what you think about my opinion as to why people aren't coming to the site, because there is no one right answer!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Thanks for replying so quick! I was just joking about those ads I can't believe that people actually click on them!!! I saw a funny one once it was like: ''this is real'' OH SURE!! This site is brilliantly secured I have yet to see one here!

Anyway real pity people aren't coming to this site.... I came across it because I found some thread on bricked ds lites and I do know a bit about how these things work since I rebuilt one and wanted to help other people because I love fixing things So I went into great detail about how to tell if it's bricked/replacing the firmware chip but suddenly everyone has stopped posting... maybe it was an old thread it wasn't like anyone was posting still i don't think....I don't think people are interested in fixing their consoles or their too scared to mod them/ have a good muck around with it. Now thats pretty sad if you agree with me.

I only just joined about last week, so i don't know what this site was like before but I think it's brilliant and already i have learnt a lot of stuff I didn't know about! It's absolutely fantastic when people help others like this! The idea of this site is great: JUST about game consoles and that!!!!!

So why are people heading off? here's what I think:The 3ds just came out and the dsl is discontinued.... Nintendo are threatening modders that's for sure. Nintendo just announced that they can tell if someone has been modding their 3ds and that they (Nintendo) have the legal right and ability to brick the console!!!!!!!!!!!!! How morally wrong is that????? The console is our personal property after all... I mean anyone who bought the 3ds paid good money for their console and now nintendo are pulling out all their guns out at once with their ''intellectual property rights''. Basically they don't want people fiddling with the stuff they make because we might just be one step ahead of them! Now I do like my dsl but I think Nintendo shouldn't be doing this....
    Fortunately for us , I have yet to hear of any consoles security system that has not been succesfully hacked. The playstation, xbox etc were all hacked within months of their release.

The r4 cards in some ways were nintendo's big enemy: of course there were ''legitimate users'' of the r4 card so nintendo really couldn't ban it. ( I can't see how modding is not legitimate but...) The potential of that little device is huge, and with people working out how to use it to mod their console and get games/apps for free, ( no I don't believe in downloading pirated games) this was nintendos WORST enemy. so they blocked the r4 in the 3ds with their legendary security. The flash card was gone, forever! NO MORE MUCKING ABOUT WITH OUR NEW OFFERING GUYS! HOORAY! Or so they thought. 3ds r4 cards are already available now so nintendo must be kicking themselves because now the 3ds it's going to be hacked and played with just like the ds range! HAHA NINTENDO! BIG FAIL GUYS! Already, people have taken the first step! thats great! but...

At the moment, alot of people are paranoid about modding their brand new console because of Nintendo's supposedly unbeatable security setup. but just wait. Theres always a few that'll give it a shot! In my opinion,It won't be long before someone figures out how to disable the security...and when they do we'll all be having loads of fun getting the things that nintendo didn't want us too out of our consoles once again! Once people believe that this security is lame and that they can get through it, no one will be scared of it!! I mean who thinks that sony were succesful with their ps2 security? I DON'T!

And thankyou for reccomending that website! They look great! They have r4 for like 5 bucks but they might be fake like you said so I'll get the aceKard only 12 bucks though best I've seen plus some come loaded with the kernel! but will I need to flash my dsL to do linux I can and probably will once I get my ak2i ( or to nintendo, my ak47 lol)

Please tell me what you think about my opinion as to why people aren't coming to the site, because there is no one right answer!
    honestly i think most left because earlier this year the old admin basically stopped posting any news for a week or more at a time then finally nothing for ages, then the site was closed for the rewrite and when it came back the frontpage news no longer linked to the forum which seems to pretty much have turned the forum into a desert with only really myself, xeno, rory and saleem trying to help people out in the sections where they can but mostly the people who have remained now stick to just posting responses to news posts.

i dont know about others, but my 3ds is as hacked as it currently can be its fully updated and online of course, the bricking warnings are pretty standard not that they will ever intentionally brick the console but that modifying your console might result in a brick during the update, however unplugging your flashcard takes it back to an unmodded state for updates.

as for chinese stores that are reliable the ones i've used are dealextreme.com, volumerate.com (part of dealextreme), volumerates.com (run by the former manager of volumerate), focalprice.com and priceangels.com all of them have provided a good enough service so when looking for gadgets (and cellphones to mess around with) those are the main ones i go to. there is another one called kai but i'm not sure its still open so cant recommend it.

forgot to add i dont think adding an internal flashcard is a very good idea (you can already use a 32gb sdhc card in it) however take a look for a max media dock from datel because a lot of hacking went on with that through slot 2 and if i remember that had a 4gb hdd which has "possibilities".

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

3ds

well I heard somewhere that Nintendo are able to send out bad firmware to your 3ds on purpose but I presume you would have to be in a wifi spot to get it and you have to click on it so yeah...I dunno if that's true I just heard it on some website! And was there like a news page on this site?
    What mods can you do for 3ds? it's just that I was thinking about maybe upgrading when the price comes down...someone I know got one it's awesome
    Why is it that dsixl and 3ds are exactly the same price? which, if either should I get if I upgrade?

I'm really looking forward to seeing some 3ds mods in the future... the console is pretty powerful and maybe people will be able to do new stuff that they couldn't with the old ds range!

I was going to get a psp 3000 last year but since the ps vita thing is coming and the game format might change, getting a psp was risky, and someone told me to wait and get the vita later.
    My parents have told me that I can have the psp, 3ds or dsiXl for my birthday but vita at the moment is too expensive

I'm looking for something which I can have fun modding etc

So if I upgrade what do you think? dsixl 3ds, psp or ps vita?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    well I heard somewhere that Nintendo are able to send out bad firmware to your 3ds on purpose but I presume you would have to be in a wifi spot to get it and you have to click on it so yeah...I dunno if that's true I just heard it on some website! And was there like a news page on this site?
    What mods can you do for 3ds? it's just that I was thinking about maybe upgrading when the price comes down...someone I know got one it's awesome
    Why is it that dsixl and 3ds are exactly the same price? which, if either should I get if I upgrade?

I'm really looking forward to seeing some 3ds mods in the future... the console is pretty powerful and maybe people will be able to do new stuff that they couldn't with the old ds range!

I was going to get a psp 3000 last year but since the ps vita thing is coming and the game format might change, getting a psp was risky, and someone told me to wait and get the vita later.
    My parents have told me that I can have the psp, 3ds or dsiXl for my birthday but vita at the moment is too expensive

I'm looking for something which I can have fun modding etc

So if I upgrade what do you think? dsixl 3ds, psp or ps vita?
    honestly much although i hate sony if you want to mess around with the system then the ds and psp are both fun, the psp for its custom firmware and homebrew and the ds for hardware hacking (or at least on the dsi a hardware overclock, check out divineo china i believe for a speed modded ds), the dsi xl has much bigger screens hence its price but the 3ds is newer and faster tech, there are no public hacks just yet but you can use an acekard 2i on it in ds mode to run homebrew / emulators although next year there will be an updated 3ds launched but its likely to have better security if the current 3ds gets hacked in the meantime, although the vita has some possibilities i'd give it at least a year to see if it sells or continues to bomb as it has so far in japan so for the time being if you want hacking then psp is your best bet, however if you want games and homebrew then dsi / 3ds would be the place to go (with an updateable flashcard) although of course the dsi really isnt worth it now as it offers nothing the 3ds cant do at not much saving, the dsixl is in the picture simply if you want to take advantage of its larger screens at home, its not really too great as a handheld so overall i'd say look at a psp (cheap) or a 3ds (lots of great games and a hackable future) right now but in a year or so time the psp will be totally dead the 3ds will still be providing great games even if its unhacked.

sorry for the wall of text but its 4:30am here and i'm not thinking straight

nintendo wont send out a "bad" update because all current dsi / 3ds flashcards mimic retail games to get past security so some poor bastard that happens to like the original game that the flashcards are copying could end up getting bricked, the lawsuit and bad publicity simply wouldnt be worth it to nintendo, just look at how carefully they have handled firmware updates on the wii, deleting certain files and programs without any affect on the hardware, if it was sony then yes, i could imagine that as they dont give a **** about their customers because they have plenty of other income streams and a bunch of fanboys who will buy their stuff no matter how bad it or they are.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast