ModChipFactory

R4Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Valve developing 'Steam Box' Console

We could see the new platform next week.

According to some sources from 'The Verge', Valve could be working on a 'Steam Box', with standard PC components and no licensing fees.

According to a report from The Verge, Valve -best known for their Steam digital distribution platform for PC and the Half-Life series- could be working on a new gaming console, called 'Steam Box'. The new platform could be revealed at this year GDC, which will take place next week.

According to sources, the company has been working on a hardware spec and associated software which would make up the backbone of a "Steam Box." The actual devices may be made by a variety of partners, and the software would be readily available to any company that wants to get in the game.

[...]

Part of the goal of establishing a baseline for hardware, we're told, is that it will give developers a clear lifecycle for their products, with changes possibly coming every three to four years. Additionally, there won't be a required devkit, and there will be no licensing fees to create software for the platform.
    Apparently, this will also be able to run any standard PC titles, and it's basic specs are just like a normal PC:

We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU.
    Most likely, they are partnering up with a PC hardware developer, but other details are unknown. Also, they are working on a variety of USB peripherals, including a controller:

Valve is also allegedly developing an array of USB accessories, including a controller with modular control schemes like Mad Catz's MLG Pro Circuit Controller, and biometric sensors that change in-game elements to match your behavior.
    As of January 2012, there are 40 million active user accounts on their Steam digital distribution platform.

If true, these could be very big news for gaming in general. We will know for sure at GDC next week.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Exclusive Valve Steam Box gaming console (via) TheVerge
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Report Valve developing Steam Box console (via) IGN

Our thanks 'Gauss' for this news report!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    another home console to replace sony = win

digital only = gtfo

getting your new console called the "gabecube" before it is even shown = priceless.

i've got to say though, i'm really liking the controllers for this 4 face buttons on each side along with the usual start, home and back buttons coupled with the user selectable controls which let you switch out both analog sticks with any combination of trackballs, joypads and thumpads (think 360 controller with no joypad but an extra 4 buttons there and hot swapable control devices with what look like usb connectors on the underside of the sticks etc).

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I like the concept of having a clear development target for PC's but I think Valve is the wrong company to do it.

I think Microsoft should have taken this job on themselves and even integrated it as part of the DirectX standard.

If done right even though its Valve doing it, this could revitalize the PC gaming industry not thats its dead by a long shot.

The 3-4 year life cycle is a nice idea too, but what should be done for PC gaming is where the graphics card is now, I would like to see the GPU and CPU and RAM in one package so that upgrading your PC for games would involve swapping one component VS the way it works now... I guess in my perfect PC the CPU and system RAM could just be pretty generic enough to run the OS, surf the web, do word processing and normal PC tasks. When playing a game the gaming card's enhanced CPU and GPU and added fast RAM could take over. The advantage of all this is that the system during day to day work would use little power but when tasked to do something more could call upon the additional resources of the game card. This would be great for Offices as they could get some cheap base system and add as needed for graphics artists or what have you.

I think all of this could ride on the current PCIe 16X bus, or some new faster bus.

Edit: And judging by what the Wii-U is packing for hardware saying a card for the PC in the same price range is easily possible but with even more powerful components or added RAM, due to the price savings of not having to include all the supporting hardware.

Would be nice to have one card add a quad core CPU, more and faster RAM and a nice GPU for my PC. This is all just fantasy land, but its nice to dream.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 03-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    I like the concept of having a clear development target for PC's but I think Valve is the wrong company to do it.

I think Microsoft should have taken this job on themselves and even integrated it as part of the DirectX standard.
    microsoft couldnt do it, they wouldnt be able to charge for online services that should / are free on everything else.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Why are they calling it a console when its a PC.

This product will never have a product life cycle as long as a traditional console.

--Newer games will mean that you need to upgrade sooner than later.
    --While on true consoles newer games will mean that the developers need to make the game run smooth and make the graphics look as nice as possible with the hardware available.

That's the fundamental difference between a console and pseudo-console pc. User vs Developer involvement. As far as I'm concerned let the Developer worry about the configuration and let me worry about how many n00bs I can take out while playing.
    Last edited by wewii; 03-05-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wewii View Post
    Why are they calling it a console when its a PC.

This product will never have a product life cycle as long as a traditional console.

--Newer games will mean that you need to upgrade sooner than later.
    --While on true consoles newer games will mean that the developers need to make the game run smooth and make the graphics look as nice as possible with the hardware available.

That's the fundamental difference between a console and pseudo-console pc. User vs Developer involvement. As far as I'm concerned let the Developer worry about the configuration and let me worry about how many n00bs I can take out while playing.
    havent sony and ms already blurred the line between pc and console by allowing patches and dlc, all sorts of music / video services and digital downloads all of which are completely alien to the whole idea of a games console where you buy a complete, working game right from the start and it wont need patching because the console is a static platform and it will be complete right out of the box without needing to go online to download more parts of the game.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    microsoft couldnt do it, they wouldnt be able to charge for online services that should / are free on everything else.
    On the PC most networked games are free to play online, I think MMO's are the exception.

When I was speaking about MS and DX I was thinking only about the PC end of things. The whole Xbox division would probably nix the whole idea as it would essentially create another competitor to there own system.

Although..... That would be one way to tackle the add in card idea on the PC, make the 720 a stand alone console like normal but also make a 720 add in card for the PC. Replace a simple old graphics card with what would amount to a system on a card. The hardest part would be keeping the system secure from being hacked, and at the same time allowing the PC to use the hardware as needed.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    On the PC most networked games are free to play online, I think MMO's are the exception.

When I was speaking about MS and DX I was thinking only about the PC end of things. The whole Xbox division would probably nix the whole idea as it would essentially create another competitor to there own system.

Although..... That would be one way to tackle the add in card idea on the PC, make the 720 a stand alone console like normal but also make a 720 add in card for the PC. Replace a simple old graphics card with what would amount to a system on a card. The hardest part would be keeping the system secure from being hacked, and at the same time allowing the PC to use the hardware as needed.
    surely that was tried before with those amiga cards for pc that no one bought.

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    surely that was tried before with those amiga cards for pc that no one bought.
    I think 3DO also made something close to it as well.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I think 3DO also made something close to it as well.
    yes i believe so, but no one bought that either

psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast