As every month, NPD has released the NA sales data for last month.
XBOX 360 is on top, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 keeps selling big. Hardware sales are up over January but overall sales down 20% compared to last year.
February 2012 NPD US sales are in, and Hardware performed better than January, but both hardware and software sales are seeing significant declines when compared to February 2011.
Keep in mind NPD doesn't release numbers anymore, so most of data is recollected from the companies press releases and by doing some math.Overall sales of hardware and boxed games fell 20 percent to $1.06 billion, according to the monthly report from NPD.
Software sales reached $464.4 million, down 23% from the $601.4 million of one year ago.01. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzzard
02. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 360)** Square Enix Inc.
03. UFC Undisputed 3 (360, PS3) THQ
04. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) Ubisoft
06. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, PSP, Wii, PC, PS2) Take 2 Interactive
07. Soul Calibur V (360, PS3)** Namco Bandai Games
08. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** Bethesda Softworks
09. Twisted Metal 2012 (PS3) Sony - 221K
10. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
The PS Vita's best-selling launch title was Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and it's inside the month's top 20. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) is MIA.
(% of Decrease from last year is in parenthesis).
Hardware sales accounted for $381.4 million of all moneys spent in February, down 18 percent year over year. But at least, it was a significant increase over January.* Xbox 360 - 426K (-20.4%)
* PlayStation 3 - 360K (-11%) (PR Math)
* Nintendo 3DS - 262K
* Nintendo Wii - 228K (-50%)
* PlayStation Vita - 225K (PR Math)
* Nintendo DS - 135K
Vita's debut is lower than expected, but we have to keep in mind it only recorded four days of sales during the February track period.
For comparison, past handheld debut sales (in NA):
NEWS SOURCES: February NPD hardware sales up over January everything down YOY (via) JoyStiq and NeoGAF ForumsNPD Launch Months
GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K
Our thanks to 'Gauss' for another news item!