DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - Others

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Need some advice for a travel to London (Mostly of Internet access via 3G).

Hi all.

I will be travelling to London soon (I'm from in Spain) and i need some advice regarding Internet access there. I want to know if you recommend me any 3G cheaper carrier (pre-paid) to get a sim or microsim from to be able to access the Internet on my iPad/iPhone there. I expect to have WiFi at the Hotel but due to i'll do some tourism on foot and need network connection for accessing maps, info and all that stuff.

Any other advice will be welcome.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kaos2K; 03-19-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos2K View Post
    Hi all.

I will be travelling to London soon (I'm from in Spain) and i need some advice regarding Internet access there. I want to know if you recommend me any 3G cheaper carrier (pre-paid) to get a sim or microsim from to be able to access the Internet on my iPad/iPhone there. I expect to have WiFi at the Hotel but due to i'll do some tourism on foot and need network connection for accessing maps, info and all that stuff.

Any other advice will be welcome.

Thanks
    well firstly if you plan on using public transport pick up a free "tube" map from pretty much any station or download / print one because its a lot easier to look at once you know where you want to be.

honestly i think the "3" 3g pay as you go plan would be ideal for you 15 for their "pay as you go, all you can eat" plan gets you 3000 texts, 300 mins and unlimited data usage for 30 days.

if you need less then they also offer 150mb or 500mb packs.

http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/P...=1220464365215

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_As_You_Go

also data only sims http://store.three.co.uk/view/produc...ferer=carousel (not such great value but 1gb or 3gb limits).

hope thats what you were looking for, beyond that other uk networks are o2, vodafone, t-mobile / orange, piggyback networks are offered by virgin, tesco, asda and others and can be cheaper but normally 3 is the cheapest with decent coverage.

btw for your i-crap you'll probably need to buy a sim cutter to cut a standard sim to micro size (try ebay or somewhere like dx if you have time, most indie phoneshops. and of course you'll need to be jailbroken or at least carrier unlocked.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Thanks!

Yeah, i was thinking about getting a map of the undergound. By the way. Does the London UG have an iOS App?

Regarding Three price plans. If i get the Pay as you Go with unlimited internet data usage, i only have to pay those 15 pounds once and they'll give me the SIM valid for one month right? After that if i want to use it again i have to recharge it, isn't it? I don't want any monthly contracts or something like that.

Do you know what personal info they require to sell you the SIM? I will travel with mi Spanish ID card and passport but i don't know if they require a UK address or something (In Spain, pre-paid cards users must fill in contact info with name, ID number, address and all that stuff).

I suppose i can't purchase the SIM online and get it on a Spanish address and have to buy in a retail store there.
    Last edited by Kaos2K; 03-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Hi there.
    I think that getting the map of the underground and the map of the city is the first thought that should cross your mind when you are going to travel.
    It's a dangerous business to go without it. And charge your phone as well!
    spam deleted from signature, please dont put it back.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos2K View Post
    Thanks!

Yeah, i was thinking about getting a map of the undergound. By the way. Does the London UG have an iOS App?

Regarding Three price plans. If i get the Pay as you Go with unlimited internet data usage, i only have to pay those 15 pounds once and they'll give me the SIM valid for one month right? After that if i want to use it again i have to recharge it, isn't it? I don't want any monthly contracts or something like that.

Do you know what personal info they require to sell you the SIM? I will travel with mi Spanish ID card and passport but i don't know if they require a UK address or something (In Spain, pre-paid cards users must fill in contact info with name, ID number, address and all that stuff).

I suppose i can't purchase the SIM online and get it on a Spanish address and have to buy in a retail store there.
    its a no contract sim, you'll probably have to buy it (probably around 99p-5) and add 5 credit then add 15 and activate the add on, its valid for 1 month then its up to you if you want to recharge it there are no further fees if you choose not to buy any more, to buy a sim no id is required but you may get asked to give your name and address to activate it, however last time i bought a sim there were no checks of any kind to verify the details provided , obviously if you buy a sim off somewhere like ebay then there are no checks since most of the ones on ebay are people selling sim cards they got free.

i'd certainly imagine that you can get a tube map on the app store however one of the small free cards is more practical simply because it doesnt attract the wrong kind of attention like a smartphone does.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Ok. Thank you for the explanation.

The Hotel where we will be sleeping at, is near a tube station so i think i can grab a map going there. Anyway, i also installed in my iPad/iPhone several apps with city guides and offline maps of London (Just i case) including the tube one.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Finally, i changed my mind and got a GiffGaff SIM card with the 10 pounds goodybag instead of the Three One, mainly because they send the SIM to my country in advance (with a little trick) so i can prepare my devices before travelling .