ModChipFactory

R4Depot

ModChipCentral - PS3

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Playstation 4 to feature native OpenGL library

An easier to develop one in comparison with Playstation 3's

Another rumor is circulating around the Internet indicating that the new PS4 will have Open GL support.

Playstation 3 uses LibGCM library which is hard to use when developing for the console.

A recent rumor from an anonymous font of TheSixthAxis claims that the future Playstation 4/Orbis will feature the well known OpenGL library, much easier to deal with for the programmers.

According to TheSixthAxis:

Anonymous sources? Seems like everyone in the industry has at least two. On each arm.

Our little birdy has been whispering into our shell-like recently, and seems to know a thing or two about the next generation PlayStation, widely rumoured to be – in terms of codename at least – called Orbis.

Our source gave us a knowing nod on that account, but also suggested something that developers might well be interested in: Orbis will support OpenGL natively.

“OpenGL is a layered API on the PS3,” our source told us. “It’s much easier to use than LibGCM, which is the main PS3 system.”

So, with the PS3, OpenGL is emulated on top of LibGCM. ”With Orbis, though,” our source added, again suggesting that the name is sticking, “OpenGL is native.”

Naturally, we need to stamp this one with a big fat RUMOUR sign. But it’s not a massive big sticker or anything, more a subtle little peelable one – like the ones you get on apples.
    NEWS SOURCE: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/...native-opengl/

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news update!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    isnt open gl still harder to work with than direct x used on 360, nextbox and wii u?

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    well on the bright side, it helps developers as even if it may not be quite the king of the hill theat DX has become, it is still better than Sony efforts of the past, and is an indication that this stint at the bottom of the pile due to arrogance has taught them something, even if it's only don't make frankesntein hardware with non standard development software and just assume devs will have to make it work as the Playstation is where the money will be made, make it at least as user freindly as possible. I am betting if questioned about not using DX (as I know they may be rivals but MS aren't so proud as to not see a business opportunity, and lets face it DX ont he PS4 would be a step towards a Unified console just from different manufacturers) they will make some exuse like, it's passé like rumble was or the old tried and tested "It is more open etc. for devlopers". Either way, it makes for less painfull development and quicker and better ports.
    Next Gen Console - i7 4770k@4.7GHZ + H100i, Z97E-ITX/ac (bending pins on the USB 3.0 header killed my Z87I ), Sapphire Radeon R9 290X , 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866@2400, Crucial m4 240GB mSATA SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 64GB OCZ Agility 3 SRT cache, in a red Bitfenix Prodigy.

Re-Shelled Windows 8.1 Steam Box/XBMC HTPC - A10-7800, F2A88XN-WIFI, 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400, 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, in a Antec ISK110 MiniITX.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    isnt open gl still harder to work with than direct x used on 360, nextbox and wii u?
    Well in some ways it is harder to work with, some things that are just done all automatic like have to be hand done in OpenGL. Of course once your dealing with an engine like CryEngine or Unreal all bets are off since they hide a lot of the dirty stuff from you.

I think most game engines on the consoles are using OpenGL even on the 360, from what I understand while it is harder to use once you make your engine OpenGL is closer to "writing to the silicon" than DirectX. Less hardware abstraction being done?