R4Depot

ModChipCentral - PS3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation PS Magazine 'build a PS4' with the rumoured specs

An AMD A8 3850 processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card

The Official PlayStation Magazine UK build a PC with the exact same rumoured PS4 or 'Orbis' specs. See how well it does against a 'High end' PC

Perhaps, you remember the rumored PS4 or Orbis details. All indicates Sony wants to power their next gen console with PC parts.

The rumored specs include an AMD A8 3850 processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card. Well, the Official PlayStation Magazine UK built a PC with some of these parts, and compared it with a 'high end' PC, which included a Core i7 2700K CPU.

The AMD A8 3850 processor belongs to AMD’s ‘Llano’ range, designed to handle both the usual CPU tasks and deal with graphics – it’s aimed at those who want to save the pennies and go without a graphics card.

As you’d expect then, it’s priced low – available at a pinch over £100, and it’s raw operating speeds aren’t that impressive. It runs at 2.9 GHz across four cores – for reference, the PS3′s six-year-old processor runs at 3.2 GHz across essentially four of its availible 6 cores.

The Llano processors are good at what they do – offer a cheap ‘all in one’ graphics and CPU solution to those on a budget, but when we’re talking about the next generation of consoles it seems odd for a chip like the A8 3850 to be in the picture at all.

Well, it didn't do too well on benchmarks:

Cinebench R11.5 scores:

Our homemade ‘PS4′ (AMD A8 3850) 3.42
    High end PC – (Intel i7 2700K) 7.02

So the high end PC recorded a much bigger score, rendering the image almost twice as fast as our PS4. It doesn’t smack of ‘next gen,’ the reported hardware powering the Orbis.
    They also tried a couple of games, like Just Cause 2, Bulletstorm and a beefed-up, super-HD texture version of Skyrim:

Just Cause 2 PS4 Frames Per Second: 21

With the Quasi-PS4 up and running using a complex system of rubber bands and lolly sticks, we ran some of the most demanding games (for PCs and PS3s) out there, starting with technically challenging open world liberate ‘em up Just Cause 2:

So in raw numbers, the test rig didn’t exactly knock our pants off (that’s the saying, right?). In fact with an average frame rate hovering just above twenty, the PS3 looks positively sprightly in comparison – according to Digital Foundry it renders JC2 at between 20-30 fps.
    Bulletstorm PS4 frames per second: 30

Right, well this is more encouraging. 30 fps is perfectly playable, and the difference between PS3 and our test rig is really clear. The ground textures are sharper, explosions are crisper, and there’s a nice depth of field effect in the ‘PS4′. The two videos aren’t night and day, but there’s clear if subtle progress.
    Skyrim PS4 frames per second: 27

Wow, that’s close. Frame rates look close, texture details looks close, draw distance too. One element that does set the two apart is the volumetric lighting in our ‘PS4′ video – there’s a thickness and depth to the fog and cloud, giving the sky a realistic quality. You can also see more of a sheen to the carriage driver’s leather garments in the ‘PS4′ version. It’s practically a photo finish in terms of detail, but it’s a bit disappointing to see the frame rates ducking below 30.
    Even if didn't do too well using the PC versions of these games, seems that PC components in the current crop of Windows-compatible games wont give you much of an idea how a PS4 utilising those components would actually perform:

Coding on closed-platform devices, like consoles, means you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of the hardware because you know that every one of those devices will be exactly the same.”

So we could have done the same thing with the PS3′s equivalent PC components, run some benchmarks, and yielded much lower results, simply because the mass-market PC parts aren’t designed to work together and with nothing else, James says:

“On such an open platform as the PC that means coding in redundencies for myriad different components. So as much as us tech geeks like to talk about the slick bits of silicon inside the machines so much of the final product is dependent on the software that is created and actioned on it.”
    Also, the final hardware could change:

“There is also the possibility that the rumoured specs are based on the builds for the PS4 development kits which might have gone out. The final PS4 itself might contain more up to date iterations of that hardware further down the line.It should be possible to code with that current spec knowing that things are set to be x times faster by the time the final machines are released.
    You can check the full article below, which is pretty interesting and includes a few video comparisons. Well, at least it gives us an idea on what we should expect next-gen!

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...ured-specs-do/

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this neat news item!

Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    rahter pointless bs story.

THESE SPECS ARE RUMOR'S, SONY HAVENT EVEN CONFIRMED ANYTHING REGARDING THE ORBIS/PS4

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diztructor View Post

THESE SPECS ARE RUMOR'S, SONY HAVENT EVEN CONFIRMED ANYTHING REGARDING THE ORBIS/PS4

OH God forbid anyone write a bias news article abut the precious! Jesus I would have forgiven you for the anti Nintendoisum and general miss guided fanboyisum if you had wrote something along the lines of "There are too many variables in this experiment for it to be valid or have any stance in real world figures"

But if this was a Nintendo article you would have wrote some other bull, so forgiven you are not, and feed the troll I shall no longer!
    N3DS friend Code: 4382-1989-5038
    Xbox Live GT: Cloudkill87

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudkill View Post
    OH God forbid anyone write a bias news article abut the precious! Jesus I would have forgiven you for the anti Nintendoisum and general miss guided fanboyisum if you had wrote something along the lines of "There are too many variables in this experiment for it to be valid or have any stance in real world figures"

But if this was a Nintendo article you would have wrote some other bull, so forgiven you are not, and feed the troll I shall no longer!
    Unfortunately he's actually right here though, just based on the fact that even if these WERE the actual specs, consoles don't have a bloated ass Windows operating system behind them chewing up GB of RAM and clock cycles.
    The comparison is totally invalid, if they compensated for the resource usage of Windows by adding RAM and a slightly faster processor, then maybe it would be remotely valid. It has nothing to do with "X configuration" according to the article, they completely miss the HAL and resource aspect of things...
    Last edited by IJTF_Cinder; 04-18-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IJTF_Cinder View Post
    Unfortunately he's actually right here though, just based on the fact that even if these WERE the actual specs, consoles don't have a bloated ass Windows operating system behind them chewing up GB of RAM and clock cycles.
    The comparison is totally invalid, if they compensated for the resource usage of Windows by adding RAM and a slightly faster processor, then maybe it would be remotely valid. It has nothing to do with "X configuration" according to the article, they completely miss the HAL and resource aspect of things...
    if you read the original article they do pretty much say that themselves, the main interest comes from the fact that its the official sony mouthpiece magazine that did this.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

(1)actually just goes to show the fans of nintendo dont read properly, you fail to notice i even state that nintendo fail to even give any information on the wii u specs, yet fanboys claim its going to be something superior??? hows this conclusion work out. also funny how still an article i submitted claiming game devs stating the wii you to be nothing much better than this current gen systems still didnt get posted (yet if its about anything negative or BS towards MS/SONY its posted asap).

possibly the reason why nintendo have yet still to comment on the systems spec ohh thats about to launch end of this year isnt it?? is because everyone will see that its just a revamp last gen system (we cant say it is nor can we say it isnt) but look at it, its the wii all over again its focusing only on its iFAD controller, which is exactly the same thing nintendo did with the wii.

also is it true that nintendo are even avoiding a exhibition, possibly to avoid gamers asking whats the wii u's specs, the fanboys claim it to be for the game devs?? sure good idea the console itself avoids showing presence ohh and hmm i do recall nintendo using xbox footage passing off as wii u footage.

then to mention the 99% prediction that this will be the same as any other nintendo system aka the games it gets.

so hmm yea when nintendo are avoiding questions on a very near to be released console, avoiding exhibitions, cheating using another systems footage, yea id be annoyed.

(2)as for a dumbass publishing houses editor (yes its the official PS3 magazine but its developed by a publisher not sony) <- @billy that came up with this pointless test run, proves nothing especially when sony have yet to even confirm that this spec news is correct.

just to save confusion the difference in (1) and (2) is sony havent even confirmed this nor have they got a release date set or even issued one unlike nintendo.
    Last edited by Retroboy; 04-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

I hope thre are only a rumors because specs are sh*t.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    (1)actually just goes to show the fans of nintendo dont read properly, you fail to notice i even state that nintendo fail to even give any information on the wii u specs, yet fanboys claim its going to be something superior??? hows this conclusion work out. also funny how still an article i submitted claiming game devs stating the wii you to be nothing much better than this current gen systems still didnt get posted (yet if its about anything negative or BS towards MS/SONY its posted asap).

possibly the reason why nintendo have yet still to comment on the systems spec ohh thats about to launch end of this year isnt it?? is because everyone will see that its just a revamp last gen system (we cant say it is nor can we say it isnt) but look at it, its the wii all over again its focusing only on its iFAD controller, which is exactly the same thing nintendo did with the wii.

also is it true that nintendo are even avoiding a exhibition, possibly to avoid gamers asking whats the wii u's specs, the fanboys claim it to be for the game devs?? sure good idea the console itself avoids showing presence ohh and hmm i do recall nintendo using xbox footage passing off as wii u footage.

then to mention the 99% prediction that this will be the same as any other nintendo system aka the games it gets.

so hmm yea when nintendo are avoiding questions on a very near to be released console, avoiding exhibitions, cheating using another systems footage, yea id be annoyed.

(2)as for a dumbass publishing houses editor (yes its the official PS3 magazine but its developed by a publisher not sony) <- @billy that came up with this pointless test run, proves nothing especially when sony have yet to even confirm that this spec news is correct.

just to save confusion the difference in (1) and (2) is sony havent even confirmed this nor have they got a release date set or even issued one unlike nintendo.
    (1) Can I just say no matter what console you are bias towards I would still come down on you with justice, you don't get sarcasm, if you actually had not posted on this topic I would have wrote/posted "This experiment is bias, there are too many variables for this test to be accurate" obviously me being ironic or sarcastic does not get through to you thus proving my fact that you get offended only when Nintendo bests sony or when sony get's owned.

(2) I'm not a fanboy of any console, so **** you, you wet behind the ears little spit ****!

(3) Nintendo have been going for what 180 years? I think they know/earn a little bit more than you, so quit telling us what you think they should be doing because they know what there doing hence why you don't find them posting on this forum.

(4) Your iFad joke is NOT funny! NEVER WAS!!!

(5) You obviously don't get that brand competition drives down price and increases quality for the consumer, so being bias to any hardware is stupid and immature much like you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=cnePM5C0BbM
    N3DS friend Code: 4382-1989-5038
    Xbox Live GT: Cloudkill87

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Rebranded Radeon 6670, what?! This is so much fail. My pc's GTX 580 chews these up and spits em out all day long. When the 360 came out, I remember the gpu was more powerful than the latest pc offerings by Nvidia and AMD at the time. I guess this next gen, we're kind of getting the shaft in the gfx department. Those specs are pretty underwhelming.
    Last edited by WoIverine; 04-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    (1) Can I just say no matter what console you are bias towards I would still come down on you with justice, you don't get sarcasm, if you actually had not posted on this topic I would have wrote/posted "This experiment is bias, there are too many variables for this test to be accurate" obviously me being ironic or sarcastic does not get through to you thus proving my fact that you get offended only when Nintendo bests sony or when sony get's owned.

(2) I'm not a fanboy of any console, so **** you, you wet behind the ears little spit ****!

(3) Nintendo have been going for what 180 years? I think they know/earn a little bit more than you, so quit telling us what you think they should be doing because they know what there doing hence why you don't find them posting on this forum.

(4) Your iFad joke is NOT funny! NEVER WAS!!!

(5) You obviously don't get that brand competition drives down price and increases quality for the consumer, so being bias to any hardware is stupid and immature much like you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=cnePM5C0BbM
    i think a lot of people dont realise how long nintendo have been going, i wouldnt mind a deck of their playing cards LOL, they'de be worth a mint by now.
    i think 180 years is bit of an over exaggeration though, i think they were founded 1890 or 1880, something like that.
    having all consoles, i do lean more towards sony consoles, because i like the controllers, they havent changed since psx and i am very comfortable with them.
    that said, sony are getting quite shady of late, and their business practices are really getting questionable, so if they do release a PS4 with specs this low, i'll buy it for the collection, but will not buy any games for it, it can gather dust.
    ACES IN THE PALM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast