DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - Others

Hybrid View

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Microsoft dropping 'Windows Live', re-branding it as 'Microsoft Account'

On Windows 8

MS will take advantage of the Windows 8 launch to clean things up. The OS bids farewell to Windows Live ID, which will be now 'Microsoft Account'

Microsoft just announced that Windows Live will be re-branded as "Microsoft Account" with the release of Windows 8.

They will take advantage of the new OS launch to clean things up and apparently, the the cloud services featured in the OS will be an update to the Live platform, in which users will create an identity to be used across Microsoft services such as Xbox 360 to SkyDrive and more.

Along with this change, Microsoft is also streamlining the naming conventions behind some key Live services now, the Windows Live Calendar, Contacts, and MSN Messenger will be renamed in a fashion similar to Windows Phone. They'll just be known as the Calendar, People, and Messaging apps, respectively. It also looks Microsoft is simplifying its mail branding, as well: while hotmail.com will continue to be Microsoft's mail portal, the Windows Live Mail branding is going away, with the service simply being referred to as the Mail app in Windows 8 and Windows phone.
    Also, MS released an explanatory video of these changes. Check it out below!

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/2/299...ive-rebranding
    NEWS SOURCE #2: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...eimagined.aspx

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I will never use Windows OS / Windows Account linking.

They should separated by a million miles.

To associate a name/address with your specific computer.... pure stupidity.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wewii View Post
    I will never use Windows OS / Windows Account linking.

They should separated by a million miles.

To associate a name/address with your specific computer.... pure stupidity.
    Well with Windows 8 is geared towards 'cloud linking' not specific computer.

So you can walk up to any Windows 8 PC, your own, your girlfriends, your work PC, your boss's PC, your friend across the street, your local internet cafe, and the moment you login your 'Microsoft Account', it grabs your profile, and cloud prefs and settings, and bang that PC becomes YOUR PC, everything appears on the screen the same, no matter what PC you are using, because of course everything is 'million miles' away stored in the cloud.

Once you logout of your 'Microsoft Account' that PC you were using returns back to its general default settings, everything about you, your info, your look&feel disappears (well you hope it does), and anything you changed or updated, is safely stored away in the cloud (well you hope!).

Of course this means we all going to have to have faster internet connections that are online all the time, so your PC can be fetching back and forth all this info stored in the cloud about you, etc.

You never catch me doing that, I am old-school, my emails, my stuff gets stored on my PC on my HDD, and when I want I can unplug the 'net and contiune to access MY DATA on MY PC and I know I am in 100% control of MY STUFF and have no fear someone logging in browsing my cloud without my knowledge seeing everything I do and have!