ModChipCentral - Forums

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation BBC: Will 8K be the ultimate TV screen?

A neat video report from Japan.

The BBC prepared a pretty interesting video report discussing the future of the TV, and how 4K will be barely supported as 8K is just 6-8 years away.

The BBC has prepared a very interesting article directly from Japan, talking about the future of the TV, covering the 'dead' of 3D, and how the 4K resolution will be barely supported, with 8K just 6 to 8 years away, and several tech brands already working together to build "The Ultimate TV Screen".

If you want the ultimate TV set it has to have at least the same level of definition as the eye can determine.

For smaller screens - some companies claim they are already there - but what about the big screen?

Dan Simmons reports from Tokyo where several of Japan's leading tech brands are working together on an 8,000 pixel wide display which is being called Super Hi-vision.
    Watch it below (or by clicking on the BBC link)!

NEWS SOURCE: Program #9774380 (via) BBC News

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    They said 1080p was the ultimate too, but i wont get 4K myself. My next TV will be 8K, because i bought an expensive Samsung top model only 3-4 months ago.

8K will be good enough, because there is a limit what eyes can see anyway. Probably why there is still a 16.8 "limit" on colors. The eyes cant see more.
    The Video Game industry the last decade explained. Blame gamers, and not developers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q
    --
    Some of my consoles: Galaxy Note 3, 2 Gaming PC's, Wii U (384.GB), VITA (32.GB), PS3 Slim (750.GB) , PS3 old (250.GB), Xbox 360 Slim (320.GB), Xbox 360 old (120.GB)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    For PC monitors I'd maybe go 4k but for TV SD is still fine for me, the vast majority of my films and TV are SD, I don't even bother downloading the HD versions of the latest TV series as the SD versions still look fine even on a 2.5 meter wide screen when up scaled. In fact for me personally beyond pc gaming (as you know console gaming will be lucky to stay at 1080p for the next gen just like this gen couldn't even stay at 720p, not to mention when you are sat a few feet away from the screen stair casing becomes less visible) the only real need for 4k or 8k is for projectors as they are the only thing that will really benefit, as anything smaller and you really aren't going to see it unless you really look, but then you aren't watching. I only say PC monitors because when you are sat that close to the screen you can still see stair casing but even that can be fixed with AA. One nice side effect though is PC gfx card life cycles, when the cards a re designed to run at 4k or 8k, the lower resolutions that are still perfectly fine will be that much smoother for a lot longer. on a side note, I can't use paragraphs it would appear as return/enter doesn't seem to work here on windows 8, on the plus side at least my fat finger typing is cured with the spell correct underlining.
    Last edited by DEDDOA; 12-02-2012 at 02:20 AM.
    Next Gen Console - i7 4770k@4.7GHZ + H100i, ASRock Z87E-ITX, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X , 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866@2400, Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SSD, 1GB WD Caviar Black, 64GB OCZ Agility 3 SRT cache. All in a red Bitfenix Prodigy.

Better than XB1 or PS4 gaming PC for the same price as an XB1, should be pretty decent once Mantle starts to be more prominent in newer titles http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/307569 (updated 18/02/2014).

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Going to be a tough sell, people could tell a difference between 480P and 720P and 1080P. I think to see a difference between 1080P and 4K or 8K you would need a really large TV, I mean like 70"'s big....

I noticed this last weekend when I was checking out the different brands and stores that TV's under a certain size even 1080P was a waste of money. I think it was around 24"'s where I couldn't really tell if a set was 1080 or 720 with out looking at the specs. I was looking at them considering use for a computer monitor since every PC I own these days has HDMI.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    Going to be a tough sell, people could tell a difference between 480P and 720P and 1080P. I think to see a difference between 1080P and 4K or 8K you would need a really large TV, I mean like 70"'s big....

I noticed this last weekend when I was checking out the different brands and stores that TV's under a certain size even 1080P was a waste of money. I think it was around 24"'s where I couldn't really tell if a set was 1080 or 720 with out looking at the specs. I was looking at them considering use for a computer monitor since every PC I own these days has HDMI.
    Recommended for 1080p is near 50"...
    4K and 8K should be closer to 100".

I doubt we will see much of 4K TV's the next 10 years perhaps. Many people cant even fit a 100" in their living place.

I use 100" myself, but thats 1080p projector, and not a TV.
    The Video Game industry the last decade explained. Blame gamers, and not developers.
    --
    Some of my consoles: Galaxy Note 3, 2 Gaming PC's, Wii U (384.GB), VITA (32.GB), PS3 Slim (750.GB) , PS3 old (250.GB), Xbox 360 Slim (320.GB), Xbox 360 old (120.GB)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    Recommended for 1080p is near 50"...
    4K and 8K should be closer to 100".

I doubt we will see much of 4K TV's the next 10 years perhaps. Many people cant even fit a 100" in their living place.

I use 100" myself, but thats 1080p projector, and not a TV.
    yep, i agree i like my 300" setup, and can't afford current 4k projectors, there you need it at that size.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyopa View Post
    yep, i agree i like my 300" setup, and can't afford current 4k projectors, there you need it at that size.
    My projector also supports 300", but i dont have room for 300" screen.

A 100" LCD TV is still damn expensive, so we wont see any cheap 4K TV's soon.

Sony will release their first 4K TV soon....When they lose money all the time, how can they waste money and release something that wont get mass sales? There you have Sony again. They are doing everything they can to go bancrupt.
    --

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    My projector also supports 300", but i dont have room for 300" screen.

A 100" LCD TV is still damn expensive, so we wont see any cheap 4K TV's soon.

Sony will release their first 4K TV soon....When they lose money all the time, how can they waste money and release something that wont get mass sales? There you have Sony again. They are doing everything they can to go bancrupt.
    I think Sony is stuck in the past, back when they where profitable with top end gear and everyone who had money to spare would get the very best.

Now with the collapse of the middle class, Sony is having a rough time adapting to the concept of selling for the masses...

Maybe the world economy will recover before Sony dies, or perhaps it is already too late. A giant falling takes a long time to hit the ground.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    I think Sony is stuck in the past, back when they where profitable with top end gear and everyone who had money to spare would get the very best.

Now with the collapse of the middle class, Sony is having a rough time adapting to the concept of selling for the masses...

Maybe the world economy will recover before Sony dies, or perhaps it is already too late. A giant falling takes a long time to hit the ground.
    The economics is only poor in a few countries now, but i dont know which besides Greek.

I think they lost too much money to recover, and when its not easy buy anything from Sony anymore besides PS3...How can they sell much? They cant live mostly on PS3 alone.

Samsung and LG dominates these days...I wonder how good Phillips is doing. Atleast its much easier to get a Phillips TV than Sony now. I think Phillips speciality is to sell mostly cheap model TV's to people who cant afford to get a mediocre TV. I think Samsung own the mediocre and good market now.
    --