ModChipCentral - 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Rumor: Next XBOX (Durango) CPU clocked at 1.6GHz

According to Wii/PS3 hacker marcan.

According to a source of Wii/PS3 hacker marcan, the next-gen XBOX CPU is going to have a 1.6GHz CPU. However, he didn't specify any more details.

In reference to the questions about his reveal on Wii U's CPU Clock Speed (@ 1.25GHz), marcan tweeted that a source told him the Next-Gen XBOX console (codenamed 'Durango') will have a processor clocked at 1.6GHz...

If you want more evidence that MHz isn't everything, a little birdie points out that Durango (Xbox 720) is specc'ed to have a 1.6GHz CPU.

Food for thought. (And don't bother asking me who that little birdie is.)
    No more details were shared. Of course, he meant to say that, even if CPUs have low clock speeds, it won't matter a lot without considering other stuff like its cores, architecture, cache, etc.

Now, this also could get in line with some past rumors saying 'Durango' could feature from 8 to 16 cores (makes sense if those are clocked at low speeds). OR, could this be related to the recently rumored 'XBOX TV' set-top box?

Anyway, those are just rumors and there's nothing confirmed yet. So, take this with a grain of salt!

NEWS SOURCE #1: Marcan42 (via) Twitter
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Forum Thread #502294 (via) NeoGAF

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    well, since it uses an updated multi core version of the broadway chip it makes sense that it wouldn't need to be much faster than the wii u processor to outperform the last gen systems and be in a position to be close to acceptable pricing.

was interesting to hear one pundit saying that to achieve a big jump these new consoles would need to launch at around $700.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    It will also add to the cost to have motion control as a standard.

The contoller itself forced them to make a cheaper console.
    The Video Game industry the last decade explained. Blame gamers, and not developers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q
    --
    Some of my consoles: Galaxy Note 3, 2 Gaming PC's, Wii U (384.GB), VITA (32.GB), PS3 Slim (750.GB) , PS3 old (250.GB), Xbox 360 Slim (320.GB), Xbox 360 old (120.GB)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    was interesting to hear one pundit saying that to achieve a big jump these new consoles would need to launch at around $700.

Not too hard of a prediction considering that right now the CPU in the 360 is a 3 core 6 threaded 3.6 Ghz CPU, yes you can get faster more powerful CPU's right now but those cost big $$$. Not exactly home console territory where your target price is in the 300 dollar range.

If this rumor turns out to be true, I wonder how people will react to it.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    People easily pay 700$ for a new phone every year, but somehow most refuse to pay 700$ for a gaming console....

A 700$ console have more value than a very expensive phone i think. The world dont think so, but i think Sony thinks this way.
    Its the right thought from Sony, but the mass market dont think so. This is why Sony fails.

Remember how powerful a Nokia N-Gage was? Nokia never ever marketed the possebilities in their 1 billion market campaign for it. It was bound to fail when it was marketed as a "strange" gaming phone. They claimed it was the biggest invention at the time, and that was indeed true...Too bad most people didnt gotta know it even with that insane market campaign.

In reality N-Gage ran emulators, Half-Life, Quake, Doom, Counter Strike ++++ and had a huge homebrew scene for years.
    Last edited by Battlefield; 12-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    The Video Game industry the last decade explained. Blame gamers, and not developers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q
    --
    Some of my consoles: Galaxy Note 3, 2 Gaming PC's, Wii U (384.GB), VITA (32.GB), PS3 Slim (750.GB) , PS3 old (250.GB), Xbox 360 Slim (320.GB), Xbox 360 old (120.GB)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but the current 360 CPU which is a 3 core 6 thread, 3.6GHZ processor will be far more powerful than the 720's 1.6GHZ processor...??? Something not adding up here. If that was the case MS should just keep the current 360 CPU, add more memory and upgrade the GPU. That's all that would really need to be done...
    Last edited by WoIverine; 12-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoIverine View Post
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but the current 360 CPU which is a 3 core 6 thread, 3.6GHZ processor will be far more powerful than the 720's 1.6GHZ processor...??? Something not adding up here. If that was the case MS should just keep the current 360 CPU, add more memory and upgrade the GPU. That's all that would really need to be done...
    If this rumor is true and the 720 uses almost the same CPU as the Wii-U, expect it to use a beefy GPU like the Wii-U does.

The reason for this is that the Xenon CPU while awesome is expensive and the Wii-U type CPU is probably a lot cheaper. That money can then be spent on a better GPU. The better GPU gives a lot of benefits to a game console over a great CPU.

Before anyone says "But what about physics and AI?" a good GPU will kill a generic CPU for those exact type of calculations.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    People easily pay 700$ for a new phone every year, but somehow most refuse to pay 700$ for a gaming console....

A 700$ console have more value than a very expensive phone i think. The world dont think so, but i think Sony thinks this way.
    Its the right thought from Sony, but the mass market dont think so. This is why Sony fails.

Remember how powerful a Nokia N-Gage was? Nokia never ever marketed the possebilities in their 1 billion market campaign for it. It was bound to fail when it was marketed as a "strange" gaming phone. They claimed it was the biggest invention at the time, and that was indeed true...Too bad most people didnt gotta know it even with that insane market campaign.

In reality N-Gage ran emulators, Half-Life, Quake, Doom, Counter Strike ++++ and had a huge homebrew scene for years.
    People tend to justify phones because they do more than just play games, the same as a high end PC. You can do more on a PC, a home console is pretty much limited to games and some light web browsing or media playback.

I myself don't like to spend over $300 for a home console, I just feel like it's not worth it. Once you get into $700 your really into gaming PC range and at that price you can surf the web with any browser you want, burn CD's and DVD's, download all kinds of programs and games or emulators, many of them free.

If a console isn't cheaper than a PC it kind of looses one of its main selling points.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoIverine View Post
    I guess Ghz wont matter for next-gen consoles, most likely number of cores and architecture.

If you want a proof, look at Wii U's CPU which runs at 1.25Ghz but still able to run Assasin Creed smoothly just like PS3/Xbox360 running +3Ghz multi-core CPUs.
    So seems like some new architecture magic in the work!

Now imagine if its possible to run Wii U CPU at higher clocks!

ALL CONSOLES RULE!!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    If this rumor is true and the 720 uses almost the same CPU as the Wii-U, expect it to use a beefy GPU like the Wii-U does.

The reason for this is that the Xenon CPU while awesome is expensive and the Wii-U type CPU is probably a lot cheaper. That money can then be spent on a better GPU. The better GPU gives a lot of benefits to a game console over a great CPU.

Before anyone says "But what about physics and AI?" a good GPU will kill a generic CPU for those exact type of calculations.
    I guess Koei will have to switch up their tactics for the future of their Dynasty Warrior's series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast