ModChipFactory

R4Depot

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation GameCube game on Wii U, running via Devolution (Video)

'DevolUtion?'

The creator of Devolution has posted a video showing his app running a Gamecube game on a Wii U in Wii Mode...

tueidj, the creator of the loader designed to run GameCube games on Wii mode, called Devolution, has posted a video supposedly showing/teasing a GC game running on a Wii U in Wii Mode.

DevolUtion?

Yo dawg, we put backwards compatibility in your backwards compatibility so you could run gamecube games over HDMI.
    Unfortunately, he shows no proof of it actually being used on the Wii U. Also, in the video, he couldn't get past the "Press Start" screen.

But, pretty interesting nonetheless.

You can watch the video below!

NEWS SOURCE #1: Forum Thread #502436 (via) NeoGAF
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Devolution (via) GBATemp

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I know on the Wii, it is possible to play GC games using the classic controller. I suspect that this is a demo of that but with out the right hacked MIOS or CIOS (not sure how exactly that works and combined with the USB loading of GC games...)

At any rate lots of exciting news on hacking the Wii-U, maybe it will forever be stuck in Wii mode for hacking but for homewbrew that's a good start.

Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    hmmm looks fake to me, unless this guy has an anti glare tv or something, it just looks emulated to me off a pc using software to record.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diztructor View Post
    hmmm looks fake to me, unless this guy has an anti glare tv or something, it just looks emulated to me off a pc using software to record.
    I can 99% assure you this is not fake, the 1% is just to cover the weird chance that maybe some one hacked his account on GBAtemp. He is one of the better Wii homebrew devs, I doubt he would tarnish his reputation with posting fake crap.

As for the clarity if it is him, he has capture equipment for getting really good video (I have watched some of his other video's they always are clear as a bell.)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I think the reason it does not go past the START screen, is simple, No Classic Controller.

How you going to plug that thing into the Wii U? -- Maybe a clever mod, some one can hard-wire one onto the PCBoard by adding a few interface parts. -- I bet the same thing can be done with the new (older) Wii's sold without G/C support.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyopa View Post
    I think the reason it does not go past the START screen, is simple, No Classic Controller.

How you going to plug that thing into the Wii U? -- Maybe a clever mod, some one can hard-wire one onto the PCBoard by adding a few interface parts. -- I bet the same thing can be done with the new (older) Wii's sold without G/C support.

you plug it into the wii controller, just like you did on the wii and still do if you want to use a classic controller on the wii u in either wii u or wii mode.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    you plug it into the wii controller, just like you did on the wii and still do if you want to use a classic controller on the wii u in either wii u or wii mode.
    Hmm oh'yeah, Sorry I was talking about the four original actual GC ports on the original Wii. -- Should had thought out more my first post, and not used the word 'classic', that old setup is true classic, or retro controller ports, maybe they took out looking for the new classic interface way but the original GC interface way is still there, but that would need hardware to access it, along with soldering skills.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Hmm oh'yeah, Sorry I was talking about the four original actual GC ports on the original Wii. -- Should had thought out more my first post, and not used the word 'classic', that old setup is true classic, or retro controller ports, maybe they took out looking for the new classic interface way but the original GC interface way is still there, but that would need hardware to access it, along with soldering skills.
    Yeah, but actually, what's interesting in this Devolution loader is that it works in true Wii Mode, meaning that you can use the Wii Classic Controller or even the Wii Remote (don't know eactly if the latest revisions allow that) for GameCube games.

So, probably it should be another reason on why he couldn't get past the Start Screen (my bet is that it should be fixed once marcan and the others get things sorted with the Homebrew Loader in Wii U's Wii Mode and all that stuff). Here's a bit more info on Devolution from tueidj himself: http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolutio...elease.330554/
    Last edited by GaussTek; 12-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

On the first Wii's when they removed the GC ports, you could actually solder them back in with a lot of effort and they would work (some one already did this and posted about it on GBAtemp)

Devolution bypasses this of course but they need to figure out how to get the Wii-U more hacked than it is now.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    I know on the Wii, it is possible to play GC games using the classic controller. I suspect that this is a demo of that but with out the right hacked MIOS or CIOS (not sure how exactly that works and combined with the USB loading of GC games...)

At any rate lots of exciting news on hacking the Wii-U, maybe it will forever be stuck in Wii mode for hacking but for homewbrew that's a good start.
    It is actually not possible to play GC games without a GC controller...at least for the general public. Teudj has stated he is currently able to but has not shown it.
    DS Original
    AceKard 2i - AKAIO 1.8.5
    EZ Flash 3in1 (GBA Size)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SNES_Master For This Useful Post:

garyopa (05-15-2013)