ModChipFactory

R4Depot

ModChipCentral - PS3

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation PS3 sells 30 million across Europe

Total worldwide system sales at 70 million.

Cumulative sales of the PS3 has hit a new milestone in Europe and PAL regions, Sony has announced.

Sony announced that it has sold 30 million PlayStation 3 units across Europe and PAL regions, as of December 17. That figure represents consoles sold to consumers, not shipped to retailers.

“This is a major milestone for us and clearly shows just how popular the PlayStation brand and products are within Europe and the PAL territories”, said Jim Ryan, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “We are really pleased with the success of the PS3 system over the last six years, and are committed to continuing our support of the platform with high quality products and titles that are of the caliber that PlayStation fans have come to expect.”
    So, in total, the PS3 has accounted for 70 million worldwide sales (however, that figure represents total consoles shipped and not necessarily sold).

By comparison, Microsoft has sold 70 million Xbox 360 consoles as of October and Nintendo has shifted 97 million Wii systems as of September.

The PS3 launched in Europe in March 2007, four months after its debut in North America.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Playstation 3 sales top 30 million in Europe (via) Gematsu
    NEWS SOURCE #2: PS3 sells 30 million across Europe and PAL regions (via) GameSpot

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    those are pretty good numbers across all 3 formats, the best total for any generation, i wonder why therefore sales of games themselves are lagging behind previous generations with a few notable exceptions?

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    those are pretty good numbers across all 3 formats, the best total for any generation, i wonder why therefore sales of games themselves are lagging behind previous generations with a few notable exceptions?
    My guess is that the lag would be a glut of the FPS genre but I could be wrong.

Things are starting to turn around but when games can take 2 years to make it takes a long time for that to happen.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    My guess is that the lag would be a glut of the FPS genre but I could be wrong.

Things are starting to turn around but when games can take 2 years to make it takes a long time for that to happen.
    well yes there could be lots of reasons, gamers getting bored of fps, devs taking too long or being too idle to squeeze more out of the hardware (surely next years big AAA titles would previously have been out in year 5 not year 7), and personally i dont think the "online with everything" policy of sidelining single player and social multiplayer so that additional dlc can be sold along with the introduction of piracy encouragement passes has done anything to help sales in fact looking at the companies failing hard, ea has dropped like a bomb and been delisted, thq declared bankruptcy, codemasters had to restructure to concentrate solely on driving games and we all know how sony is doing yet all 4 of those are the ones pushing online passes with everything.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon