ModChipFactory

R4Depot

ModChipCentral - Wii

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Wii U Gamepads are also region locked

A step too far?

That's right, it looks like the Wii U Gamepads are also region locked too.
    Not a big issue for most people, but still something 'curious' to note...

Seems that you can only use Wii U GamePads if they are from the same region as your Wii U.

As spotted by japanese site Rocket News, you can't use a Japanese GamePad on your North American/European Wii U and viceversa (meaning that it will be useless to import them).

And, while not a big deal for most people, its still an odd and a bit silly find, don't you think? Also, it would be interesting to hear an official justification of that by Nintendo.

Take a look at some of the error messages shown when trying to use a GamePad from another region, below!

NEWS SOURCE #1: Item #279608 (via) RocketNews24
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Uh What Wii-U gamepads are also region locked (via) Destructoid

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    i couldnt see any reason to do this at all except as an anti-consumer measure to prevent people buying cheaper or 3rd party controllers but then i found out about different regions enforcing different wireless standards in different regions as well as probably different ncf restrictions, i guess its like the newer dect phones, you are not allowed to use the american ones in the eu because they use a different part of the available spectrum, still sucks though if any special edition controller get released.

oh and you can use the gamepad normally, the restriction only seems to cut in when trying to download a system update so i guess you can use your original gamepad for that.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billysastard View Post
    oh and you can use the gamepad normally, the restriction only seems to cut in when trying to download a system update so i guess you can use your original gamepad for that.
    Most likely there is some firmware and os in the gamepad itself, that gets updated during the 'system update' process, so
    the reason it checks the region.

Which means in the long run, you gamepad imported from the other region might end up being incompatiable if the system update is major and it needs the new functions or features sent to your original gamepad during the system update.

Well that is just my two cents regarding it, until hackers dig into the firmware update progress and gamepad internals, then we might never know the real reasons behind it, except to attack Nintendo in the media for being anti-consumer.

But they could have done it better, have a univ. firmware that figures out the region on its own for each section, like the PS3, but Nintendo had this problem with the original Wii, once it was hacked, and people ran discs from PAL region on their USA machine, they would end up with missing icons or messed up system menu, if the disc had an update on it.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Region locked is pure sh*t. I am still waiting for Persona 4 (360 fighting game version). This game is the first Ps3 region locked game in the history.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Since EU and USA uses different firmwares, its probably why its locked as Gamepad needs update too.
    Its more than just the controller hardware with a screen.
    ---
    Norway just made the worlds first Smart Cruise Ship. Robots working in bars and lots of other high tech stuff.
    This ship have Xbox One's, but they also have Wii U in other ships.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cyyOUZjEIc#t=158

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    Since EU and USA uses different firmwares, its probably why its locked as Gamepad needs update too.
    Its more than just the controller hardware with a screen.
    Actually, you could be right. The Destructoid source updated the story with this:

[Update: The Japanese message above reads, "The update cannot be completed with an overseas Wii U GamePad." In other words, it seems that you can use an imported GamePad to play games, you simply can't apply firmware updates without the original. Apparently, GamePads have their own firmware that is unique per region, hence this uncommon hurdle.]

However, it is still pretty vague. I mean, it doesn't make sense that you can still use it with a different FW, and even less with a lower FW version that the one on your console, right? :/

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Makes one wonder if the gamepad needs to be hacked as well as the console itself. Hmm I love research.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ursac For This Useful Post:

garyopa (12-26-2012)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    It could also be some of the remote functions for TV's. Not sure if different regions have different IR codes or not.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursac View Post
    Makes one wonder if the gamepad needs to be hacked as well as the console itself. Hmm I love research.
    if its region locked of course it needs to be hacked, anything that blocks you from using something you paid for always needs to be hacked.

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussTek View Post
    Actually, you could be right. The Destructoid source updated the story with this:

However, it is still pretty vague. I mean, it doesn't make sense that you can still use it with a different FW, and even less with a lower FW version that the one on your console, right? :/
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    It doesent make sense, but for me it wont matter. I would never buy a controller like this outside my country anyway, because of the high tax.
    ---
    Norway just made the worlds first Smart Cruise Ship. Robots working in bars and lots of other high tech stuff.
    This ship have Xbox One's, but they also have Wii U in other ships.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cyyOUZjEIc#t=158