ModChipCentral - Forums

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Apple's Lightning Digital AV Adapter is a full computer

ARM chip and 256MB of RAM

It has been found that the new Apple Lighting Digital AV adapter sports and ARM processor and 256MB of RAM

Big surprise we have here. It has been discovered that the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini & iPad 4 Lightning Digital AV Adapter is not just another "dumb" amount of circuits but a full computer with and ARM processor and 256MB of RAM. That was Panic.com devs have discovered

According to MacRumors:

Panic, the developers behind apps like Coda and Transmit, spent some time disassembling the Lightning Digital AV cable that allows iOS devices like the iPad mini and the iPhone 5 to output HDMI to televisions.

The company discovered that, like its Lightning to 30-pin brethren, the Digital AV adapter is considerably more complicated than it would appear. Among other discoveries, Panic found an ARM chip and 256MB of RAM inside.
    The question that now may come is, what kind of OS does it boot when plugged in? Check the links below to get more info on this interesting story.

NEWS SOURCE #1: The Lightning Digital AV adapter surprise (via) Panic
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Apples Lightning Digital AV adapter is a full-fledged-computer (via) MacRumors

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    This is either to prevent cheap 3rd party cables
    OR
    they screwed up and the devices don't have enough power for hdmi output.

If it's the lack of power, they are lucky their accessories are expensive. Every company would like to have the freedom to screw up on an accessory, build it with much more expensive parts than planned, keep the planned price and still make profit.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Penner View Post
    This is either to prevent cheap 3rd party cables
    OR
    they screwed up and the devices don't have enough power for hdmi output.

If it's the lack of power, they are lucky their accessories are expensive. Every company would like to have the freedom to screw up on an accessory, build it with much more expensive parts than planned, keep the planned price and still make profit.
    According to an anonymous source in the source Apple basically ****ed up the connection so that it can't send a raw HDMI signal so they came up with this kludge with an embedded system that takes an encoded stream from the device.

https://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/t...#comment-16841

In theory this setup could be better since it allows for flexibility, but I suspect that these wont be a real issue for a long time or other possibilities wont be released (e.g. component/composite). Frankly Apple may have been better off designing the connection from the start to be more capable.
    Last edited by tech3475; 03-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    No, they didn't **** up. And it makes you look like a hater/whiner when you just assume that is the case
    Few companies know what they are doing like Apple.

Lightning connector is just a serial bus connection, which means that they can put anything in there.
    Ethernet, HDMI, USB, Firewire, whatever. Like Thunderbolt.
    Think of it as a PCI slot. Not exactly the same, but might make it easier to understand.

This removes any limitation that might be imposed using USB or the old iPod connector.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattias800 View Post
    No, they didn't **** up. And it makes you look like a hater/whiner when you just assume that is the case
    Few companies know what they are doing like Apple.
    I knew what I was saying (although admittedly I was going to replace ****ed up but something came up), the issue I have is that they just designed a proprietary connector which will presumably last the company another decade without making sure that it can handle existing standards at a minimum.

I also said that in theory this is better but at the same time I reckon these will never be realised before it become obsolete and they may have been better off including either a few extra pins for video (like at least some Android phones) or designing the connector to be able to support streaming video since this method is, as it stands, flawed.

Few companies know what they are doing like Apple
    BTW, I do love the irony that you criticise me for sound like a hater when this makes you sound like a fanboy . Apple like any company can screw up as any iphone 4 owner can tell you.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
    I knew what I was saying (although admittedly I was going to replace ****ed up but something came up), the issue I have is that they just designed a proprietary connector which will presumably last the company another decade without making sure that it can handle existing standards at a minimum.

I also said that in theory this is better but at the same time I reckon these will never be realised before it become obsolete and they may have been better off including either a few extra pins for video (like at least some Android phones) or designing the connector to be able to support streaming video since this method is, as it stands, flawed.

BTW, I do love the irony that you criticise me for sound like a hater when this makes you sound like a fanboy . Apple like any company can screw up as any iphone 4 owner can tell you.
    Sorry, but my reply was to the previous poster :P
    I agreed with your post