ModChipFactory

R4Depot

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation EXCLUSIVE: MAME going commercial? The END of MAME?

Changes to the 'license' will allow code to be used 'commercially'!

For years MAME has been always non-commercial, it was free for you to use any way you wish, as long as you made sure not to charge a 'penny' for it, and as such it had many great developers behind it!

Well this is some sad news we have here today, for decades MAME has been always free and non-commercial but times are changing, and it is causing a rift among the talented developers working on code freely for MAME, have now pull their code from GIT as they don't like the new dual-license being pushed onto them with no thought on how much code they have submitted freely for everyone to enjoy!

Here is one of first commits showing the 'dual-license' is now in play:

Code:
    diff --git a/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c b/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    index 2010f7e..305e175 100644
    --- a/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    +++ b/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    @@ -6,7 +6,27 @@
    Clock Frequency control updated by Zsolt Vasvari
    Other fixes by AtariAce
    - Copyright Jonathan Gevaryahu.
    + Copyright (C) 2006-2013 Jonathan Gevaryahu aka Lord Nightmare
    + This source file is dual-licensed under the following licenses:
    + 1. The MAME license as of September 2013
    + 2. The GNU LGPLv2.1:
    And Haze one of top developers has posted 'The END?' on his blog today:

I donít like these dramatic ĎI quit the sceneí posts, but it seems like this might REALLY be the end.

MAMEdev are *aggressively* trying to move to a commercial use permitting license. It looks like anybody who doesnít agree will simply have their code segregated and eventually nuked / rewritten.

This in a nutshell would allow people to take MAME and package it up + sell it however they please, with no benefit to the actual project.

I simply canít agree with this, and am not willing to submit code under those terms.

I worked on this project for the good of civilization, to make a real difference to the world, nothing more. I did NOT work on this code so that somebody could make money off it.

Personally I consider this move to be unworkable, because Iíve touched or worked on almost every part of MAME outside the core at some point, almost every driver, several CPUs, even some sound cores, and it looks like itís going to turn into an internal battle to assert your rights over different drivers / cores, a process to which nobody will agree absolutely of course. Consent will ultimately be implied behind closed doors simply due to lack of will to fight.. this is meant to be a project about emulation, not having to fight to prove what you own.

So this just seems like the biggest possible Ď**** YOUí from the team, a slap in the face for the almost 15 years of my life Iíve dedicated to MAME and almost nothing else.

Iíd go as far as saying once this happens the new license should probably just be considered invalid, code will be taken and used in ways it was never intended to be used by people who have contributed to it regardless of how the team want to decide ownership, and it will just be one massive mess. If a single line of code Iíve contributed is placed under a commercial license without my explicit permission then I simply consider any distribution of that to be illegal because those are not the terms under which it was submitted. The team are simply counting on being able to walk over everybody who disagrees and not have them actually take legal action, presumably because they know it would simply be too much stress.

Iíve said many times before that I feel the team is rotten to the core, and this is just another example. Utterly disrespectful towards those who have contributed in the past.

Iím sure many will be celebrating the potential for things to be used commercially, rubbing it in my face etc. but believe me, I am NOT happy about this. I did this to better the world, document our culture, help preserve our history, not put money in pockets.

In addition to the above I do not feel it to be an especially safe move. In the eyes of 99% of the population ĎMAMEí the arcade emulator exists simply to play games. While that is not the reason for it being developed I feel it makes it less suitable for a commercial license than many other projects. With the non-commercial license we show greater intent regarding it being a Ďan academic project of cultural significance designed to documentí but by putting a commercial license on it that intent appears instead to be Ďa project to make moneyí which in turn paints a bullseye on the team as far as legal action is concerned. I could understand maybe the MESS code being placed under a commercial license because it has hundreds more legitimate and obvious use-cases, but I feel placing MAME under one is inviting trouble, and I donít wish to be associated with that either.

Even other former coordinators like Kale disagree with this move, but itís still being pushed ahead despite no technical gains.

As far as Iím concerned at this point MAME *is* dead.

If people want to do a Ďcommercial MAMEí they should create a new project, from scratch and not associate it with the hard work people have actually done on MAME over the years.
    So what do you think, will more GPL developers QUIT, and will this be the death of MAME as we have known it over the years?

NEWS SOURCE #1: THE END (via) Haze's Blog
    NEWS SOURCE #2: MAME Commit's (via) GIT

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Maybe it's time to move away from M.A.M.E. to something new? Sure, it would be hard moving from the architecture, but maybe the devs leaving M.A.M.E. can make something better....

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godashram View Post
    Maybe it's time to move away from M.A.M.E. to something new? Sure, it would be hard moving from the architecture, but maybe the devs leaving M.A.M.E. can make something better....
    I have a love hate relationship with MAME... I love being able to play lots of arcade games, I love the whole artwork and cabinet scans and the text history of all the machines.

On the hate side.... MAME is coded for accuracy sometimes to the point of breaking games that would be emulated if they would just use a hack... A lot of good code is rejected for it not being accurate enough. (This is why you see a lot of unofficial builds.)

The thing that reaaaaalllly gets under my skin about MAME is there is no easy way to manage your ROM's. If say I have a SNES set I am customizing for some reason I can delete a specific game or add it with out any trouble at all. In MAME if you delete a file it might have been a dependency for 50 other games and now because you wanted to get rid of some specific game.

If anyone knows an easy way to do that I would be soooooo happy but I finally gave up on the concept and just rolled back to an older set with no fruit machines... Wasted many an hour trying to locate some way of manipulating the MAME romset.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post

If anyone knows an easy way to do that I would be soooooo happy but I finally gave up on the concept and just rolled back to an older set with no fruit machines... Wasted many an hour trying to locate some way of manipulating the MAME romset.
    http://mcm.mameworld.info/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_AleX View Post
    Yes, those guys of ps3news use to do that, with me, fanjita, etc. And now they got owned.

I am waiting for the pics of the house and the pics of the guy's face. Maybe i will travel some day to USA and i will stop over there, and the pics would guide me better to the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel61 View Post
    WITHOUT A NAND BACKUP YOU'RE SCREWED !!!
    The ownage of NakedFaerie
    http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/sho...95#post1189395

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B2K24 For This Useful Post:

JonathanD (10-16-2013)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B2K24 View Post
    Holy hell!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Too late for me to mess with it right now but first thing in the morning I am sooo going to see what I need to do.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    But doesnt the gpl allow commercial use so long as the source code is available?

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    On the hate side.... MAME is coded for accuracy sometimes to the point of breaking games that would be emulated if they would just use a hack... A lot of good code is rejected for it not being accurate enough. (This is why you see a lot of unofficial builds.)
    Easy, just redownload those damn roms all over again... oh wait... 400 GB, NNNOOOOOO!!!

Agree with you on that one PLUS the way MAME force you to use CHD file. AFAIK some other emus (eg: CPS3EMU) does not required CHD to run games, just uses parent roms. So why cant MAME do that too? Maybe I missed something as I've been away from emu scene for long time. You know those fucking CHD are like bloated whales, freaking big size images!

PS: is that Haze from now defunct Geoshock site?

Edit: oh wait, how the hell Mame can be licensed? They are using roms illegally anyway so how does that work? I remember they had something like 2 years waiting period before they touch any latest games dump. Ironically they don't have permission to use them anyway.
    Last edited by Nocuddle; 10-16-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: drunk
    Fakes0nyTrollingFanboy Quote #7:
    aww bless has your pink thong got so far up your camel toe your unable to think logical and has to pick on some strange obese fat dude.
    A: Ok ok I wont pick on you anymore... NOT!

NEWS! Dizzy plan to castrate herself after reading Shuhei Yoshida's comment.
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...i_u_to_succeed

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godashram View Post
    once again monetary gains strive to destroy a project thats well over 10-15 (or more) years in the making by tons of coders that contribute their time due to their love of the project. no telling how many 'years' i spent enjoying all the games that mame supports. most of the games i spent tons of time and money on in the arcades of the late 70s thru the late 80s.

kind of pissy that every great project seems to get hijacked for someone elses love of greed and money.
    Add me to your Friends List
    -------------------------------
    Xbox Live = kneehighspy
    PSN / SEN= kneehighspy

** R.I.P Dad (11 / 09 / 1944 - 06 / 04 / 2011) Miss ya tons pops! **

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kneehighspy For This Useful Post:

billysastard (10-16-2013), Nocuddle (10-16-2013)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocuddle View Post
    Edit: oh wait, how the hell Mame can be licensed? They are using roms illegally anyway so how does that work? I remember they had something like 2 years waiting period before they touch any latest games dump. Ironically they don't have permission to use them anyway.
    Probably some company that wants to release their games they have the rights too or games which are legally available.

But like I said before....isn't that already legally possible with GPLd code?