ModChipFactory

R4Depot

ModChipCentral - 360

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation TX already looking deeply at Xbox One BD-ROM drive

Team Xecuter has began working on the Xbox One

It only been less then 24 hours since the Xbox One has launched and already groups like Team-Xecuter are already working on ripping it apart so you can enjoy those nice underground goodies!

It only been less then 24 hours since the Xbox One has launched and already groups like Team-Xecuter are already working on ripping it apart so you can enjoy those nice underground goodies!

From the label in the picture above we can see it is clearly still a Lite-On drive, this time around of course it is BD-ROM and model number DG-6M1S and currently at firmware v3253 on h/w 070D and made in Oct. 2013.

But from the next picture we can clearly see that main IC is no longer a mediatek silicon, but a Microsoft stamped die with its own part number, along with a TI driver chip for laser with nice big cable:

But all is not lost, as we got this good news and another picture to share from TX:

The X-Ray machine has been deployed. Now to put the acid gloves on.

Click image for larger version.

Maybe something truly exciting will come from this, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

NEWS SOURCE: TX already starting on the Xbox 1 (via) 360Crunch

Our thanks to 'garyopa' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    It will be interesting to see what happens drive wise, but still, if each disc has its own id I cant see drive hacks lasting long.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    We can do a bet, for sure Xbox One will be hacked before Ps4.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears V View Post
    We can do a bet, for sure Xbox One will be hacked before Ps4.
    That would be a hard decision to make. I do kinda feel like the PS4 may get a software hack before X1 but with a hardware type of hack its hard to really say.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo1978 View Post
    That would be a hard decision to make. I do kinda feel like the PS4 may get a software hack before X1 but with a hardware type of hack its hard to really say.
    I think it could go either way at this stage.

Any drive based hack is likely to be short term if the discs themselves contain a per-disc ID so I believe it will be an OS based hack which again could go either way.

If they don't contain a per disc ID then possibly the Xbone as MS are known to get the cheapest drive they can (they could have stopped the Xbox drive hacks sooner otherwise). Of course, if TX are using this sought of reverse engineering it could mean MS have learnt a lesson.
    Last edited by tech3475; 11-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I'm sure MS learned from the last time, this won't be as easy as the early drive hacks..... (we still may need PCB replacements, etc).

Per-Disc ID would mean a new master needed for each disc pressing. WAY WAY WAY too expensive. (unless it's like PSX which had the unreadable sector in the middle of the black discs, but that wasn't a unique ID......).

Every disc would need to be pressed with a unique ID.....Cost wise, it just isn't going to happen....

come on team x!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I am going to say that this gen will likely be the hardest one to hack yet....

Could be years before any sort of loading of ISO files or burned discs, if it is even possible.