ModChipFactory

R4Depot

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Confirmed G6 Homebrew Compatability List

Hey guys. I have been experimenting with different Homebrew on the G6, and since it's kind of hit or miss, I thought it would be good to have a ready-made list of working/non-working Homebrew. List is now in Alpha order. Woo!

If a piece of homebrew is under "non-working" and you have gotten it to run, please post a brief explaination of how to get it working, and I will update as needed.

Working:
    Arcomage - Arcomage.nds works with "add header" and .gba works. Both have brief pause at white screens.
    Balance - Works.
    Beup - Works on default settings. (thanks CrEsPo)
    Dados (D&D dice roller) - Works.
    Didgit Solver - .gba works.
    DoomDS - Works but only with pre-compiled shareware version of doom.wad (flashcard version at: http://davr.org/ds2/doomfc.zip) (thanks outphase.)
    Drummers v. 2.0 - Works.
    DSChess - Works.
    DSLair - Works.
    DS Sampling Keyboard- .ds.gba works no problem and the .ds works when you "add header". (Thanks galaxykidgamma)
    DS Touch Touch Revolution - works
    DsAim 0.02E - I loaded the .nds file through the U-disk manager and it works well.
    DsHeretic - Works.
    DSLinux - Works. (thanks dtrmp4)
    Explosive Gas - works.
    Gioioso - Works with "add header" function.
    Glider - works with .gba version.
    Hawiian Islands - .gba works.
    HexenDS - Works. (Thanks kallek)
    Mario Bros. (Game and watch clone) - .gba works.
    MegaETK - Works with .sc.nds version.
    Moonshell - Works.
    NDSMail - works, but due to lack of Fat drive support, have to re-key information every time. (Thanks junfeng85.)
    NesDS - Works, albiet poorly. (Thanks for pretty extensive testing of this, gumbojmg) (Also, See Templedog's post further down for descriptions of glitches.)
    -"On a g6 lite v4.2B only the original nesDS works when you pre-build the nesDS.nds file with a small amount of ROMS (say, 4) and transfer with the default doFat option." - gumbojmg
    No Place to Hide - Works with "add header" function.
    PaddleBattle - .ds.gba works.
    Picodrive - Works! You have to append the rom to the .nds file. See olax's post on page two for instructions! (Thanks olax!)
    PocketNes - I know G6 has a built in NES emulator, but it is pretty sloppy {one game per Pocketnes file takes up a tun of space. All roms named to the same filename. Not useful, so I still build my own!}
    Prohibition - .gba works.
    ScummVMDS - Works Well, I've only experienced some minor problems:
    -I can't get the sound to work. Ripped and re-encoded in the exact method described on the scummvmDS webpage, still no luck. Anyone else get sound to work?
    -On the "full-screen" screen, the text of the very bottom set of commands runs off the bottom of the screen, cutting them in half. Can still read them and use them, so not really a big issue.

Slide and Run - works with "add header" function.
    SlyphIRC - Works using "add header" function. (thanks again, dtrmp4)
    Smash Bros. Tactics - .gba works.
    Tales of Dagur - Works.
    Touch me (I'm famous) - .nds works with "add Header" function.
    Twin Isles - Works.
    Wave - Works.
    WifiChat - Works.
    Win2DS - Works with .gba. (thanks Burgi)
    Zelda Homebrew Demo - works with the .sc.nds version. (thanks galaxykidgamma, frozenipaq and TheMarioKarters)

Non-Working:
    A Touch of War - .ds Boot with "add header" function, and .gba works, but menu is scrambled. Some may consider this still playable, but it's ugly.
    DSOrganize
    DS Drum Machine (tr909)
    dStar sequencer - Does not work. (Thanks again galaxykidgamma.)
    Duckhunt homebrew - Does not work. See MeTaLsToRmDS's post for more info.
    FlashbackDS - Does not work.
    HelloDS - Voice Over IP (VoIP) for Nintendo DS WiFi - Could not get it to work.
    Nethack DS - Not Working. (thanks Olax.)
    Nitrotracker - Does not work. (Thanks galaxykidgamma)
    WeatherDS - Loads, but does not function without libfat support.

Here are some that I tried really quickly or heard about, and would like confirmation that others could also get or not get them to work. If it's not against any rules, I am going to start posting links to the ones that need confimation, for ease of testing.

Need confirmation:
    DSSpeech Synthesizer v1.0 - Does not work.
    (http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/...=inc_si_ds.htm)
    NesterDS - ??? (http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/...=inc_si_ds.htm)
    Stella DS - ???

Homebrew related Q and A:

Q: I have heard that the "add header" feature in the U-disk manager is somehow supposed to assist with running homebrew. Any idea what that is, why it helps, and what homebrew in particular it helps with?

A: "Add Header" function is confirmed to help with the following homebrew:
    DS Sampling Keyboard - .ds works when you "add header" (Thanks galaxykidgamma)
    SlyphIRC - Works using "add header" function. (thanks again, dtrmp4)
    Touch me (I'm fameous) - .nds Works with "add header"
    Arcomage - .nds Works with "add header."
    No Place to Hide - works with "add header"
    Slide and Run - works with "add header" function.
    Gioioso - Works with "add header" function.

Q: What are FAT Libraries and why are they needed for homebrew? Also, will the G6 get this, and how will it help?

A: by sektor,
    A FAT filesystem library is what developers use to read and write to files stored on media devices. Until G6 Lite support is added to the FAT lib, homebrew will only be able to read data that is attached to the .nds file and not files stored seperately. The G6 Lite will be supported eventually but not until the right skilled people get their hands on a G6 Lite and the technical information they need. Once support is added to the library, all current homebrew will need to be updated with this new library or they will remain incompatible.

Exciting news! Danny from the G6/M3 team has released FATlibrary drivers. Looks like, if we're patient, we'll be getting the rest of the good homebrew, as soon as everyone gets around to updating. DSOrganize, here I come.

Update: Maybe I got excited too soon. Once Chishm got ahold of what they released, he had this to say:
    "Hmm, they distributed it as a precompiled library, based on the old gba_nds_fat. That doesn't make it easy to correct bugs, nor to incorporate it into libfat. I could disassemble the functions from within the .a file, but I don't really see why I should have to. Distributing it in this form also means that another version of each app that uses gba_nds_fat needs to be compiled for G6/M3 support. Is there really so difficult to release the source, even if it is in asm? They are clearly visible inside the .a file anyway (eg G6_SelectSaver)."
    Bummer! Should we start a petition?

New Update: Dragonminded says "Screw G6." Apparently due to the stress of trying to make DSOrganize compatable with M3 products {of which, G6 is one} he has given up: "First, I will start with an announcement. From here on out, M3 products WILL NOT be officially supported. " He goes on to elaborate that it is the diveloper's fault for not releasing official drivers. Curse you, G6! Oh well, at least we still have top compatability for actual NDS games.
    Last edited by BombBomb; 09-18-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    DOOMDS: Does not work

CrEsPo Guest
    I've gotten beup working on the G6 Lite, I just put it on with the default options.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    There are mixed reports about NesDS working on the G6 Lite. I know G6 has a built in one, but a lot of people like that NesDS can run games in full-screen. So far no-one has posted a good how-to that works for everyone. I have poured over the NesDS threads and still can't get it to work (well) on my G6... it seems to have trouble recognizing the NES roms on the G6, but it could be the program itself.

Kidsampson on the forums posted this about the G6 Lite:

Unwrapped, it won't recognize roms. Wrapped, as a DS file, it only recognizes the first 5-6 [roms]. If you wrap it as a GBA file and load it from the MyCard menu on the top left without a header, it will play, but save states do not work. It seems to think SRAM works this way, as it says it's saved, but it appears that it isn't. Reboot and try to move the SRAM to the default position and it will fail.
    Again, he seems to have had luck with NesDS as a .gba file, but mine didn't work at all this way.
    Last edited by Templedog; 08-13-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheRad
    DOOMDS: Does not work
    Guess you didn't check the gbadev thread

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.ph...ghlight=#97821

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Sampling keyboard works

the .ds.gba works no problem and the .ds works when you "add header" (maybe it was made in PAlib?)

playing it right now ::burps into mic::

EDIT: No I don't think it was made in PAlib..., didn't see anything about it in the readme
    Last edited by galaxykidgamma; 08-13-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Kakashi Guest
    snezzids-v024b-sound

anyone have luck with this? it works and all but when i save in super mario world, boot up the DS again and load the game again, the textures load differently, and you can no longer see mario. Your save is essentially missing. but this is only cause because there IS a save there....which is odd. deleting the game and putting it on again fixes it....until you save again.

i don't know how it isi with any other games but i guess this counts as WORKABLE. just don't save

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BombBomb
    What is a "fat library" and why is it essential to running some homebrew? Is it something G6 will ever get? I have seen a lot of posts of people saying "It does not support fat libraries... YET!" and so on.
    A FAT filesystem library is what developers use to read and write to files stored on media devices. Until G6 Lite support is added to the FAT lib, homebrew will only be able to read data that is attached to the .nds file and not files stored seperately. The G6 Lite will be supported eventually but not until the right skilled people get their hands on a G6 Lite and the technical information they need. Once support is added to the library, all current homebrew will need to be updated with this new library or they will remain incompatible.

gumbojmg Guest
    NesDS on a G6 Lite v4.2B

There are three versions of nesDS. One is the original official version at loopys college website http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/. The other two are save fixed versions by emu_kidid http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=25181 (NesDS-WIP1 and NesDS-Improved)

So, to start off, I extracted the three zips to separate folders and copied ndstool (from here http://darkfader.net/ds/files/ndstool.exe) into the three folders. Next, using the make_nds.bat in each of the folders, I made a one ROM version of nesDS. The rom I chose was the original super mario brothers. I then renamed the three nesDS.nds files to originalNesDS.nds, wip1NesDS.nds and improvedNesDS.nds. Finally, I open the G6 software transfer program (using the latest version 4.2B btw) and transferred the three version of the nesDS to the flash cart using the default options (i.e. doFat).

So, on to the tests -

TEST 1)

OriginalNESDS - Worked a treat. Great! But I did not test the real time save and mario has no battery save so this was also not tested. The touch screen area where you set options was acting erratic however.

Wip1NesDS - two white screens. I left it for 2-3 minutes and nothing happened.

ImprovedNesDS - two white screens.

TEST 2)

For the second test, I tried reflashing the wip1nesds and improvednesDS with the other transfer options - Normal, Safe, Direct.

Again, two white screen in all cases.

TEST 3)

Since nesDS-wip1 and nesDS-Improved are not working on the G6 Lite, I tried building a new original nesDS.nds file with several ROMS. I built one with 16 roms first and transferred four copies using the four transfer option - dofat (default), normal, safemode and direct copy.

The doFat, normal and safemode versions all booted, but none of the 16 roms worked. Basically, you would see the intro screen flash up for a second then the screen would blank out and the sound would stick on the note it was playing when it crashed out.

TEST 4)

So no luck with 16 roms, I then tried four roms on the original NesDS with just the regular doFat transfer option. The result was four fully working nes games. Again, I did not test the nesDS real time save and none of the games I loaded had battery backup save so this was also not tested.

Also, the touch screen area where you set options was hard to use with the stylus. It would highlight the option you pressed but it would not select it unless you held the stylus on it for a few seconds. I do not know if this is a programming problem or a problem with my touch screen or the g6 lite.

FINAL REPORT

On a g6 lite v4.2B only the original nesDS works when you pre-build the nesDS.nds file with a small amount of ROMS (say 4) and transfer with the default doFat option.

Real time save and battery based NES game saving was NOT tested.

The touch screen is not working great.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    How strange it didn't work for you. I got emukidid's first version working fine with ~10 games.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast