DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - Others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Satya Nadella to be named Microsoft CEO, according to reports

Bill Gates out too?

According to Bloomberg, Microsoft plans to name Satya Nadella as the company's new chief executive.

According to a report by Bloomberg, Microsoft board is preparing to make Satya Nadella the next company's CEO, only the third chief in Microsoft’s 38-year history.

Nadella has been at the firm for over 20 years, and he recently worked to realign Microsoft’s cloud services, Office and Bing (he hasn't been heavily involved with the company's consumer-facing products).

The site also reported that the Microsoft board is discussing replacing Bill Gates as chairman, in what would be a historic shift for the company...

Microsoft’s cloud chief, Satya Nadella, will lead the company as its next chief executive, according to a report from Bloomberg.

Microsoft’s board is “preparing to name” Nadella chief executive, Bloomberg reported Thursday afternoon. Nadella, whose official title is executive vice president of Microsoft’s Cloud and Enterprise group, had been one of the front-runners in the race to replace current chief executive Steve Ballmer, who said last August that he planned to step down within a year.

But the board is also considering replacing Bill Gates as chairman of the company, Bloomberg reported, ousting the company’s co-founder and possibly replacing him with John Thompson, Microsoft’s lead independent director. If Gates is to go, as PCWorld suggested last year, it would remove two of Microsoft’s iconic employees from the software giant.

The problem with replacing Ballmer or Gates, is that no one executive at Microsoft has traversed the range of the company’s products, which include consumer businesses like the Xbox, cloud services such as Azure, the company’s Windows business, server and development services like Visual Studio, and an emerging mobile business, too.

Nadella, 44, is an Indian-born engineer with degrees in electronics, computer science (from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee), and business administration (from the University of Chicago). Nadella has worked since 1992 at Microsoft, and is credited with launching BizTalk, Microsoft’s Commerce Server, and Microsoft’s Office Small Business products.

However, Nadella is most famous for having overseen Microsoft’s online initiatives, where he transformed Windows Live Search into Bing. The market share for Microsoft’s search offering stands at 18.2 percent, according to Microsoft’s recent earnings.

One problem that naysayers point to: Nadella has no experience as a chief executive, unlike internal rivals like Tony Bates, who ran Skype, and external candidates like Alan Mulally of Ford, who took himself out of the running in early January, saying he was committed to Ford.

So far, Ballmer’s commitment has been to a “devices and services” strategy. If Nadella is named CEO, its unclear whether he’d commit to that direction. On the other hand, his track record indicates that he can fulfill at least one half of that strategy.
    NEWS SOURCE #1: Report Satya Nadella to be named Microsoft CEO gates out too (via) PCWorld
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Microsoft new CEO reportedly Satya Nadella (via) TheVerge

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Well all we can do is just sit back, and wait for Windows 9. I mean even the most militant defenders of TIFKAM has failed to fire on any of its cylinders. (Waits patiently for the MSMDF to show up, and tell me again how great Windows 8 is if I only gave it a chance and, buy some additional Software form Stardock to make it *censored* work!).

Really though I feel sorry for whoever has to clean up this mess. But, as to the rumors of MicroSoft selling of the XBOX, seem doubtful as MicroSoft want to make more, and more high-end Hardware. They are uniquely positioned to either save the PC or to kill it stone dead. What will they chose to do?!

In any case it seems increasingly likely that Linux could really start to gain some traction if a few of the big names can find some way to work together. Namely RedHat and, Debian (i.e. Canonical). I could bring up Arch, and Gentoo but I won't... But, of the Two I prefer Debian. But its because of this that Linux is still the domain of nerds. If every Linux could somehow become compatible with each other. It would kill Windows easily.

Another thing that needs to change is the missinformation that you can't have closed sourced Code on Linux too. Like I'm sure the number of people hacking closed Programs on Linux is somehow greater then it is on Windows.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Classicshell doesn't cost a penny, never has, so clearly not making much of an effort to fix your metro problems eh? .

They don't need to release windows 9 to fix it for the clueless (or those with double standards, always amuses me those who will winge about a small 3rd party fix for 8, but then go on to speak the benefits of Linux the DIY OS that needs a hell of lot more work than a 2 minute patch, but each to their own, I guess) so they can reap the benefits of the much slicker, quicker and less of a resource hog OS, they could release a mini patch like Classicshell and job done, and if they really were that worried about Windows 8 they would have done that by now. Lack of such a patch speaks volumes especially given how simple it would be to implement and loose nothing.

Looks to me like they are trying trick iSheep into thinking they have Steve Jobs working for MS

Personally the only thing on the Linux front I'd like to see gain traction (as metro won't make the main users of windows switch as like it or not, that's where all their software and support is) is SteamOS. SteamOS as is, or as the big picture with streaming and less games at mostly lower than DX performance and detail, is not that great. Maybe it will improve in the future but I guess that's an unknown at the mo, however I'd like to see it light a fire under the backside of MS so they finaly release a gamer edition of windows that is free of all the xtra bloat and costs a damn sight less, but retains the features needed for gaming from Pro editions.
    Last edited by DEDDOA; 02-01-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Next Gen Console - i7 4770k@4.7GHZ + H100i, Z87E-ITX, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X , 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866@2400, Crucial m4 240GB mSATA SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 64GB OCZ Agility 3 SRT cache, in a red Bitfenix Prodigy.

Re-Shelled Windows 8.1 Steam Box/XBMC HTPC (Stream Box would be more accurate) - A10-7800, F2A88XN-WIFI, 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400, 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, in a Antec ISK110 MiniITX (with 160W PICO PSU).

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Well Microsoft might not be worried about Windows 8 but some major OEM's like HP are, they have stopped offering only Windows 8 and have gotten ads up like the following instead:

So there is major clue that Windows 8 is still flawed in most consumers eye.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    a flaw that takes 1.5 mins to fix and then you get a much better OS all around. I have to agree tho, I do think MS's long sighted approach isn't the best, yes it an interface to get them in the game for the future, but now it could have done with an approach that gives the option on first boot, Desktop and start menu, or Start screen, or Desktop and Start screen. It really wouldn't take much to do, and is a shame because so many are missing a better than windows 7 OS, the damn thing can add a bit of life into many older PC's that are still sluggish with windows 7 and are essentially stuck on XP, but so many won't even try because (and usually not first hand experience) they can't get their heads around metro.

Like I have said, each to their own, if you don't like it (and for the first 6 months I hated it to be fair) and don't see why you should change what you don't like, even tho it's oddly ok to do with browsers, compression software, media players etc over the default MS versions, then that's fine by me, doesn't bother me any. However if you are willing to install classic shell along with your other software on your first install, you will see the benefits of the OS, you may even like metro as the side menu which I personally think is the best place for it by default (start menu where is should be, Start screen on the side menu) and you get best of both worlds. I just find it a shame that people will basically spite themselves out of arrogant pride, it's like being offered a Ferrari to replace your Volvo, but kicking up a stink because you dislike the fact that the Ferrari is manual and your Volvo was automatic.

I am beating a dead horse here I know, but as they say, if it results in one person fixing their experience with the OS and getting the benefits it's worth it, especially given the most many people see and are put off buy the OS is the usuall, we hate the start screen ergo windows 8 is the worst OS ever, and no we refuse to fix our problems like we do with every other aspect of the OS we are not keen on.

I still say he looks like Steve Jobs from a distance

C'est la vie
    Next Gen Console - i7 4770k@4.7GHZ + H100i, Z87E-ITX, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X , 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866@2400, Crucial m4 240GB mSATA SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 64GB OCZ Agility 3 SRT cache, in a red Bitfenix Prodigy.

Re-Shelled Windows 8.1 Steam Box/XBMC HTPC (Stream Box would be more accurate) - A10-7800, F2A88XN-WIFI, 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400, 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, in a Antec ISK110 MiniITX (with 160W PICO PSU).

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDDOA View Post
    Classicshell doesn't cost a penny, never has, so clearly not making much of an effort to fix your metro problems eh? .
    This is THE ONLY REASON why I am comfortable using W8, I have some other issues with the OS but this is my biggest one.

You can even disable the 'hot corners' with it.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Why should I use an untrusted App to fix a problem I never knew I had till I had the misfortune to have a goof with the Windows 8 Prevue Build? When I have a perfectly good working Windows 7 Disc? I never really got the hate some People had (or have), with Vista. It seemed of with the Laptop of all things that came with it. 3Gb RAM 320GB HDD CD2 @ 2.5GHz. Ran pretty much as good as Windows 7 does now.

Windows 8 OTOH deserves everything it had thrown at it... And in my opinion more! Its a very poor UI to gimp Dolts onto there crappy Phone & Tablet OS... You don't see Apple or Google doing this to iOS - Mac / Android - Chrome Books do you? No 'cause they know that kinda crap doesn't wash!

MicroSoft needs to realize One thing. And that's that their 90s world view of complete domination is over!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijoe View Post
    Why should I use an untrusted App to fix a problem I never knew I had till I had the misfortune to have a goof with the Windows 8 Prevue Build? When I have a perfectly good working Windows 7 Disc? I never really got the hate some People had (or have), with Vista. It seemed of with the Laptop of all things that came with it. 3Gb RAM 320GB HDD CD2 @ 2.5GHz. Ran pretty much as good as Windows 7 does now.

Windows 8 OTOH deserves everything it had thrown at it... And in my opinion more! Its a very poor UI to gimp Dolts onto there crappy Phone & Tablet OS... You don't see Apple or Google doing this to iOS - Mac / Android - Chrome Books do you? No 'cause they know that kinda crap doesn't wash!

MicroSoft needs to realize One thing. And that's that their 90s world view of complete domination is over!
    Well actually I see that every time I use IOS and OSX, especially OSX, a poor OS which needs far more work to get useable than windows 8 not to mention needs a lot more of those untrusted apps as you call them to make it work better than anything other than a very basic OS, not to mention it requires a lot of terminal work as opposed to simple gui based fixes, and that sells worse than any Windows OS. Last time I checked it has a lower share of the market than Linux, and not even 5%, so that's one comparison that is not really applicable especially as there are a good many people who have not problem with it either. I spend more time sorting out macs, especially for those who have started using them from windows than any windows 8 pc, which is just install Classicshell and that's it. Android OS on a TV is no better than windows 8 as well, and you seem to find that acceptable even though it's a touchscreen OS being used in a way that's not touchscreen based, and the only way to change that is by using more of those so called untrusted apps.

Vista hate was about major incompatibility and system requirements for lower performance than XP, so they are realistic performance complaints though most have been addressed with SP3, personally there I would rather a full screen start menu I can easily fix for free if needed than have most of my stuff not work and make me need a hardware upgrade to get the same performance I had on the previous OS.

This is exactly my point tho, I couldn't care less if someone dislikes one OS or another, I positively loathe iOS and OSX, but many like it and that's fine (not everyone needs an open OS, much in the same way I prefer XBMC and am no big fan of Plex, but I recommend Plex to most people as it requires less work even if it lacks the flexibility I want), but it's the hypocrisy that things you can be critical of on one and have no problem with or don't mind fixing or just working with on another is fine that makes me laugh. When you can use a plain default install of windows with no additional software and be perfectly fine with it, then you may well have a valid ground for the argument, but I can guarantee you don't so you are not exactly arguing from a non hypocritical standpoint.

But then I have heard this all before best part of 20 years ago with windows 3.11 to 95, so it's all a broken record, just like the Vista complaints even tho I heard it all 10x worse with XP when it launched as it had all the same problems but worse.

This is why I am willing to give an OS a try to find it's benefits rather than only look at it's draw backs as I still rememeber all the teething troubles, 95 gave me a more user friendly interface once I got used to it tho it was major change from 3.11, not to mention it basically killed a lot of DOS (especially if you tried to reboot to dos on later versions and ended up having to fix the boot loader or do a repair install to get windows working again) off as it went on especially in 98, SE and ME. Windows 2000 was ok but was less capable for gaming than XP so I got rid of it. XP made me need to get a new GFX card as my Voodoo 5 had limited unofficial support not to mention I was pretty much forced go dual boot for best part of the first 18 months just guarantee all my software could still be used. Vista I held out on after finding the 32 bit version sluggish with poor compatibility and tried XP 64bit first which was a real substandard OS, but then it was mostly beta software and had next to no software support. But when I got CoreDuo with 8GB of RAM I had to go 64bit and Vista performed surprisingly well in 64bit unlike it's 32bit counterpart. When I switched to windows 7 64bit, I saw next to no change from Vista Ultimate 64bit SP3, in fact my only reasoning for doing it was to reduce the windows updates. Then there was windows 8, I hated the start screen all through the beta and used the fixes to get the start menu back, doing so made me realise the OS's improvements over 7 instead of dwelling on the start menu which I could fix if needed. Other than my notebook which still has 7 and Linux, it is the main OS I have on the other 7 PC's in the house. I can honestly say, other than 7 which was little more than Vista with the fixes at the start (it's the same OS at the core, as is 8 as all 3 are NT6) I have had growing pains with every new Windows OS, as have many others, tho there was no mass adoption of the internet to complain about it when a new OS launched until Vista, and every one had me have to learn to do many of my common configuration tasks differently each time (luckily since vista the shortcut commands and keyboard shortcuts have stayed pretty much the same).

At the end of the day though, if you are fine with XP or Windows 7 then that's fair enough, but complaining about Windows 8, or any other OS because of a hang up you have on a part that can be easily fixed and so not realistically trying the OS is just childish.

Oh yeah, by the way, as most of the complainers are to hung up on the start screen to find out first hand, 8.1 added boot to desktop and a lot more commands in the right click menu at the start button, the only thing left to complain about is the start screen instead of the start menu now as opposed to complaining about not having the desktop as the default as well
    Last edited by DEDDOA; 02-01-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Bill Gates is Microsoft and I don't understand why someone have created Microsoft, now him must come out.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Reuters have just confirmed this story.

BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft Board Names Satya Nadella As CEO
    no link as its just come up on their breaking news ticker.

edit: its now on the ms website too http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html

Anyone who wants to add me feel free to do so

Steam, xbl & miiverse = ImpaledGryphon
    psn = Impaled-Gryphon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to billysastard For This Useful Post:

garyopa (02-04-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast