DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Microsoft to 'fix' Xbox One controller at request of 'Titanfall' dev

And also the console's upscaler.

Microsoft will 'fix' the Xbox One controller so Titanfall players can accurately aim. Beta runs at native 792p.

According to a report by The Verge, Microsoft will issue a software update to "fix" the Xbox One controller at the request of Titanfall's developers, Respawn Entertainment.

Additionally, the dev is also collaborating with Microsoft on an update to the Xbox One's display scaler, which the console uses to upscale games natively rendered at resolutions below 1080p...

You might have heard that Microsoft will make some multiplayer tweaks and add a new headset adapter, but the changes go far deeper than that: Microsoft will also update the Xbox One controller specifically at the request of Titanfall's development team. According to Titanfall design lead Justin Hendry, an upcoming software patch will make the analog sticks more precise than before.

"It's just fixing the controller input, really," he tells The Verge, adding that the team worked with Microsoft on the solution. "It wasn't really where we felt it should be; it was a little overly twitchy with the current controls. Now it's fixed. We're happy with it."

Given that Microsoft spent a reported $100 million developing the new Xbox One controller, it's not surprising that the company would pay a little more to get the sticks just right, particularly if as Hendry suggested to us the benefits won't be limited to this particular game.

Respawn Entertainment also says it's working with Microsoft on a new version of the console's upscaler presumably to convert games rendered at sub-1080p resolutions up to the full HDTV standard but it was unclear whether that upscaler will only apply to Titanfall or work with all Xbox One games.
    In a related note, the Titanfall Beta runs at native 792p resolution on Xbox One, but may increase on the final build, Eurogamer reports. Also, the game runs at "around" 60fps:

Well, even with access to direct captures, the issue isn't quite as cut and dried as you may think. The usual pixel-counting techniques involve capturing long horizontal and vertical edges, then comparing the number of actual rendered pixels with the output of the console. So, for example a 4:5 ratio on the vertical on a 720p output gives 576p. The ratios aren't quite so clear on the preview build of Titanfall we saw last week, but because of that, 720p can be ruled out.

Based on some extended edge-counts from the game's stark tutorial section, our best guess right now is that 1408x792 is pretty close to Respawn's chosen rendering resolution. The overall effect is pretty similar to 720p overall though, and the implementation of an overly sharp filter across the entire image suggests that the Xbox One hardware scaler is used to blow up the image to 1080p. We're not exactly impressed by that and, we suspect, neither was DICE - hence the move on Battlefield 4 from Microsoft's scaler to a bespoke software solution between the preview and final code we played.

---

In the era of post-process anti-aliasing - which doesn't work particularly well on sub-native resolutions - the good news is that Respawn has opted for the tried-and-tested 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) in order to make the image cleaner, eliminating sub-pixel pop and resolving long-distance detail more effectively.

Probably the biggest surprise is that, based on our testing, frame-rate doesn't quite remain locked to 60fps - not especially noticeable in most situations, but definitely more of an issue inside the titans. Bearing in mind Respawn's dedication to the locked 60fps experience, we hope that further optimisations are in development, but the videos on this page should give you some idea of the game's current performance level.
    More info on the links below.

Titanfall will launch on Xbox One and PC on March 11 in NA and March 13 in Europe, and for Xbox 360 on March 25 and 28.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Microsoft will update the Xbox One controller for less twitchy sim (via) TheVerge
    NEWS SOURCE #2: DigitalFoundry 2014 watch Titanfall on Xbox One at 60fps (via) EuroGamer

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Goddamn! 792p? haha

Jeez.. Why not run it at native 720p?

Making it 792p just makes the developer look stupid, and Xbone even more.
    Sony tries to be funny.. Sony plans to sell "Early access" games. Well, that already existed since PS3 launch.

A game like Battlefield 4 is "early access" when its in stores. It takes 1-2 years after you payed for the game until its finished.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Battlefield For This Useful Post:

Artlover (02-12-2014), Ichijoe (02-12-2014)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    Goddamn! 792p? haha

What the hell is 729p anyway Hell my poor assed TV can barely keep up with 720p much less 1080i. At this rate I'd say why not say flip it, and just run it in 4k Mode!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    i really think that microsoft wanting the xb1 to also be a cable box has drastically killed the gaming efforts of the console, and thats really sad.
    Add me to your Friends List
    -------------------------------
    Xbox Live = kneehighspy
    PSN / SEN= kneehighspy

** R.I.P Dad (11 / 09 / 1944 - 06 / 04 / 2011) Miss ya tons pops! **

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kneehighspy For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (02-13-2014)

Artlover is offline Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass!
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    Goddamn! 792p? haha

Yup.

But it's not unusual. Just another idiotic resolution to add to the list of oddball resolutions devs use (see below). Seriously, I'd really like to hear the brainstorming sessions these devs have over resolution.

My reply in the Ryse will actually run at at 900p thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    1024x576, 1024x600, 1024x640, 1024x768
    1040x585, 1040x600
    1052x600
    1072x603
    1088x624
    1120x584, 1120x630, 1120x640, 1120x720
    1152x640, 1152x648, 1152x720
    1274x692, 1274x702
    1280x1080, 1280x608, 1280x692, 1280x696, 1280x704, 1280x718, 1280x720
    1600x1080
    1920x1080
    800x1080
    832x624
    880x720
    960x1080, 960x540, 960x544, 960x704, 960x720
    Why? Dafuq is wrong with you devs. Consoles = TV = 480/720/1080. Use one of them you damn fools!
    My Consoles: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar; Coleco Telstar Alpha, Telstar Ranger, Colecovision; Mattel Intellivision; Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360; Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii; Sega Genesis w/cd, Saturn, Dreamcast; Sony PSX, PS2.

See my Homemade Gamecube Case

See my Homemade Xbox360 Gamepad PC Receiver
    GTA V Online: It's a steaming pile of dicks!

Amy Rose has grown up to be a hot little hedgehog! I'd do her!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artlover For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (02-13-2014)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I can't even pick 1360 x 766 Via the XB1 at the moment lat alone these wierd ass resolutuons

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijoe View Post
    What the hell is 729p anyway Hell my poor assed TV can barely keep up with 720p much less 1080i. At this rate I'd say why not say flip it, and just run it in 4k Mode!
    792p is the way of the developer to say..

Hey! We are so badass and skilled. We managed to get a Xbone game run at a higher res than 720p!
    People laugh at them, because they are unable to make a 1080p game on Xbone.

Now, i wonder how Forza 5 can run at 1080p/60 while the rest of games is like 7xx/p/30?

Artlover: Yes, its very bad with all these resolutions.

I bet you can't see the difference between 720p and 792p.

And 900p? Come on...Thats so retarded that i won't even say anything about it.

Xbone should stay as a American cable box. There is a reason why its maybe delayed 1 year in most of EU. There just isn't enough cable content to add. Its a American console, and thats it.
    Sony tries to be funny.. Sony plans to sell "Early access" games. Well, that already existed since PS3 launch.

A game like Battlefield 4 is "early access" when its in stores. It takes 1-2 years after you payed for the game until its finished.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    This is resolution vs anti aliasing vs fps and money spent on dev's time, game optimization cost money.
    this is business, they just looking to make best profit without investing too much.
    sure you can make any game 1080p but it will cost more to make, time is money.
    you have any idea how many ppl working on a game today ? like a small army, and each one want 100k per year in this industry.
    Games are more and more complicated and need much more staff than before. all they care is to finish the project in time with lower cost.
    I care more about smooth game play, without bugs and good anti aliasing than resolution.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LordX For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (02-14-2014)

Artlover is offline Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass!
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordX View Post
    This is resolution vs anti aliasing vs fps and money spent on dev's time, game optimization cost money.
    this is business, they just looking to make best profit without investing too much.
    Doesn't explain why they make up crazy oddball resolutions, that in the end, create more problems than they solve.

This issue isn't they aren't doing 1080. The issue is that they aren't using 720. Instead using a weird non standard resolution that not only offers no visual benefit, but will actually degrade visual quality even more when upscaled than it would had they just used 720.

Even if MS's scaler was top notch, I wonder what the performance hit is trying to deal with such an odd res. Conversion likes even multiples, not crazy ass fractions.
    My Consoles: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar; Coleco Telstar Alpha, Telstar Ranger, Colecovision; Mattel Intellivision; Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360; Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii; Sega Genesis w/cd, Saturn, Dreamcast; Sony PSX, PS2.

See my Homemade Gamecube Case

See my Homemade Xbox360 Gamepad PC Receiver
    GTA V Online: It's a steaming pile of dicks!

Amy Rose has grown up to be a hot little hedgehog! I'd do her!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Artlover For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (02-14-2014)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artlover View Post
    Doesn't explain why they make up crazy oddball resolutions, that in the end, create more problems than they solve.

This issue isn't they aren't doing 1080. The issue is that they aren't using 720. Instead using a weird non standard resolution that not only offers no visual benefit, but will actually degrade visual quality even more when upscaled than it would had they just used 720.

Even if MS's scaler was top notch, I wonder what the performance hit is trying to deal with such an odd res. Conversion likes even multiples, not crazy ass fractions.
    why to use 792p and not 720p , because 792p is better.
    they tested 1080p and it had frame drops under 60fps , so they tested like 900p almost ... but 792p was perfect, job done.
    anyway console will output 1080p, GPU will work on 792p+anti aliasing will be good as 1080p , then XBOX ONE will upscale it to 1080p and only then output to HDMI.
    they look on final picture, looks good , done! where is our profit ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast