DSGamerWorld

ModChipCentral - Others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts

Exclamation Microsoft invites you to attend the Atari E.T. landfill excavation on April 26

'Witness Video Game History'.

We're all invited to the Atari E.T. landfill excavation later this month. 'Become a part of gamer history', Microsoft says...

Microsoft is inviting the public to attend the Atari Landfill excavation where a team will search for buried E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial video game, rumored to be buried in New Mexico.

The day-long excavation will take place on April 26, and spectators will be able watch as the "truth" comes out. This endeavor is being funded in part by Microsoft's Xbox Entertainment Studios as part of its new documentaries initiative, that will air first on Xbox consoles.

Here's the official info:

Become a part of gamer history. Unearth the truth behind the ultimate urban legend. We’re excited to announce that the excavation of the long-rumored “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” video game burial site will occur on April 26, 2014 and will be open to the public. Spectators are invited to watch the team uncover the infamous Atari game cartridge grave.

The Atari Corporation – faced with overwhelmingly negative response to the “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” video game – allegedly disposed of millions of unsold game cartridges by burying them in the small town of Alamogordo, New Mexico in 1983. Fuel Entertainment took an interest in the legend, and in December 2013, with help from local garbage contractor Joe Lewandowski, acquired the exclusive rights to excavate the Alamogordo landfill. Fuel Entertainment brought the opportunity to Xbox Entertainment Studios, and now, as part of a documentary series (developed by Xbox Entertainment Studios and two-time Academy Award® winning producer Simon Chinn and Emmy winning producer Jonathan Chinn, through their multi-platform media company, Lightbox), the team will excavate the legendary New Mexico landfill to reveal the true story of Atari’s bizarre burial.

Director Zak Penn (“X-Men 2,” “Avengers,” and “Incident at Loch Ness”) will be documenting the dig and the events around it. In addition to fans and media, a variety of people tied to the dig, video game, and film will be in attendance – including “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” video game designer Howard Scott Warshaw, a team of archeologists and representatives from Xbox Entertainment Studios, Lightbox and Fuel Entertainment. We hope you’ll join us as we get to the bottom of one of gaming’s biggest mysteries. A lucky handful of fans could even be interviewed for the film. Full details about the dig can be found below. See you in Alamogordo!

Alamogordo Landfill Excavation Details:

Saturday, April 26, 2014
    9:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Alamogordo Landfill
    4276 Highway 54 S
    Alamogordo, NM 88310
    (Near First Street and White Sands Boulevard)

City of Alamogordo Website: http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/
    NEWS SOURCE #1: Attend Atari landfill excavation (via) XboxNews
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Microsoft invites you to attend the Atari landfill excavation on April 26 (via) VG247

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    It will be a complete geek fest I gotta say that i'd defo go if I lived in the U.S

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

gDrive (04-11-2014)

Artlover is offline Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass!
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Personally, I don't understand how/why this was ever considered a myth.

1: Atari never denied dumping. Quite the contrary. Atari admitted that they did. They simply blew off the specific ET question by saying that what was being dumped was "mostly" broken/defective/returned hardware. Consoles, computers and other games can also be found there.

2: ET was a flop, and for them to be able to write off some of the loss, the remaining stock had to be accounted for and destroyed. I know to us techies it's seems stupid and a waste when the shells and circuit boards could have been recycled for other games, but business doesn't work like that.

3: The Alamogordo Daily News covered the dumping, complete with pictures. The New York Times also covered the story and confirmed it with Atari. UPI and Knight-Ridder also released stories about not only the dumping but also scavengers stealing games from the landfill 2 days before concrete was finally poured.

4: Alamogordo's city commission enacted some emergency management laws to limit the abuse of out of state dumping, with the Mayor specifically naming Atari as the reason. This is also documented.

It can't be any more of a punch to the face fact that Atari was dumping hardware in Alamogordo for tax purposes. The only real question is how much of what was dumped were perfectly good, but unwanted/unsellable, ET carts.
    My Consoles: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar; Coleco Telstar Alpha, Telstar Ranger, Colecovision; Mattel Intellivision; Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360; Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii; Sega Genesis w/cd, Saturn, Dreamcast; Sony PSX, PS2.

See my Homemade Gamecube Case

See my Homemade Xbox360 Gamepad PC Receiver
    GTA V Online: It's a steaming pile of dicks!

Amy Rose has grown up to be a hot little hedgehog! I'd do her!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artlover For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (04-12-2014)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    it's just for fun, MS need anything that results in positive rep. I think it's more of a legend then a myth, this isn't Roswell.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artlover View Post

1: Atari never denied dumping. Quite the contrary. Atari admitted that they did. They simply blew off the specific ET question by saying that what was being dumped was "mostly" broken/defective/returned hardware. Consoles, computers and other games can also be found there.

2: ET was a flop, and for them to be able to write off some of the loss, the remaining stock had to be accounted for and destroyed. I know to us techies it's seems stupid and a waste when the shells and circuit boards could have been recycled for other games, but business doesn't work like that.

3: The Alamogordo Daily News covered the dumping, complete with pictures. The New York Times also covered the story and confirmed it with Atari. UPI and Knight-Ridder also released stories about not only the dumping but also scavengers stealing games from the landfill 2 days before concrete was finally poured.

4: Alamogordo's city commission enacted some emergency management laws to limit the abuse of out of state dumping, with the Mayor specifically naming Atari as the reason. This is also documented.

It can't be any more of a punch to the face fact that Atari was dumping hardware in Alamogordo for tax purposes. The only real question is how much of what was dumped were perfectly good, but unwanted/unsellable, ET carts.
    From what I understand most of the E.T. carts run fine even today if dug up and cleaned. Probably due to the dryness of the desert.

I always wonder why people consider it a myth as well... For all the reasons you stated and to add that many many people have gone there and dug up carts themselves. You can even find multiple youtube video's of people digging them up.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    It's probably because it sounds like something that you'd expect to hear on the internet and then find out it's BS like allot of things.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    since it was an active landfill, theres 30 years of trash buried on top of anything that was buried there 30 years ago. the likelihood of finding any evidence of ataris burial is slim to none. more chance that geraldo will find james hoffa there than any e.t carts.
    Add me to your Friends List
    -------------------------------
    Xbox Live = kneehighspy
    PSN / SEN= kneehighspy

** R.I.P Dad (11 / 09 / 1944 - 06 / 04 / 2011) Miss ya tons pops! **

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    So if we did this in 5 years time we'd be digging up Xb1's I guess.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

Battlefield (04-12-2014), garyopa (04-12-2014), TomatOsaUce (04-12-2014)

Artlover is offline Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass!
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehighspy View Post
    since it was an active landfill, theres 30 years of trash buried on top of anything that was buried there 30 years ago. the likelihood of finding any evidence of ataris burial is slim to none. more chance that geraldo will find james hoffa there than any e.t carts.
    I don't think so.

The city is small, and restricted out of state dumping after the Atari incident.

I do not believe this is an above ground, Mt.trashmore type landfill. Their's appear to be a dig a hole and fill it type, which makes things far easier as it simply expands outwards leaving existing fills accessible.

Records are kept, photos are taken, etc... Given we know the exact date the dumping took place, they should be able to locate more or less where it should be. Want to double check, just radar/x-ray over the site and look for the giant concrete slab. Landfills do NOT bury trash under concrete as a general rule, and that it was done here for this particular case is both rare and unusual.

It's not a one day event by some 85 year old woman using a hand held gardening trowel. It is a 1.5 month long excavation being done with heavy machinery. Originally it was supposed to be a 6 month deal, but it was shortened at the last minute in the final contract. In either case, the significance of the April 26th, 2014 date is that is when the excavation is planed to start, and is the only day the site will be open to the general public to witness the groundbreaking and partake of the spectacular being made of the event. Nothing will be found on that day (short of anything they plant in advance to be found to make the day more exciting for the people).

Tell you one thing, Alamogordo is going to be the winner either way with the money they will be getting from Fuel Entertainment, Microsoft for permits/royalties, from the tourists, and from the teams of dig and film crews living there for 45 days.

Anywho, the only thing that will really determine if anything is ultimately found or not is if this is a legitimate attempt to dig it up, or if it's just a bullshit publicity stunt (AKA: Geraldo Rivera finding Hoffa). My cynical nature tells me to suspect that it's the latter. Afterall, who wants to kill off a popular urban legend; especially one that can, has been, and is again being exploited.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/News/c...-for-Atari-dig
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/m...p-site/0191394
    My Consoles: Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar; Coleco Telstar Alpha, Telstar Ranger, Colecovision; Mattel Intellivision; Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360; Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii; Sega Genesis w/cd, Saturn, Dreamcast; Sony PSX, PS2.

See my Homemade Gamecube Case

See my Homemade Xbox360 Gamepad PC Receiver
    GTA V Online: It's a steaming pile of dicks!

Amy Rose has grown up to be a hot little hedgehog! I'd do her!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Anywho, the only thing that will really determine if anything is ultimately found or not is if this is a legitimate attempt to dig it up, or if it's just a bullshit publicity stunt (AKA: Geraldo Rivera finding Hoffa). My cynical nature tells me to suspect that it's the latter. Afterall, who wants to kill off a popular urban legend; especially one that can, has been, and is again being exploited.
    Don't forgot it is all to push Xbox Live and Microsoft, as the daily 1.5 month events will be broadcasted ONLY on Xbox Live for you to view and comment on, and afterwards no other network will be allowed to have the whole summary film produced for viewing for many months.

So for those owning a Wii U or PS4 or thinking of catching it on Youtube (well bits of it might, but they will be quickly dmca'ed removed), too bad, you going to have to cough up for monthly Xbox Live Gold membership and dig your Xbox 360 out of closet or invest in an XB1.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to garyopa For This Useful Post:

Artlover (04-13-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast