ModChipCentral - Wii

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    i just checked level 2 boot loader, offset 34.
    Value = 1C, Binary = 11100
    according to above table that means the file doesn't allow copy/move.
    so it should be x100 (decimal 4).

if anyone wants to try that patch and see if it works as i don't have the time right now. if you do try, make sure memcard in slot B is formatted (not just emptied).

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I've got this working now, thanks to all who helped

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    One question (possibly a stupid one) is there anyway to use the AR with a backup game?

I'd like to cheat in backups, is it possible?

nutmonkey Guest
    Hey guys, just wondering if you can use a USB Memory Card adapter to put GCOS onto. I really want to get into the scene but don't want to buy a viper and support PS2OWNZ (already had a bad experience with the bastards )! I don't have a BBA or PSO, and buying them would probably cost as much as the viper, so I was hoping this would be a good alternative!

Can you put one of the memory card images of GCOS onto it, or is it not that simple?

It's the adapter mentioned in the USB adapter + USB hard drive thread, link is below

USB Memory Adaptor 64M

Cheers, and sorry if this is a stupid question or if it's been asked 100 times befor

Nutmonkey

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    ok i just tested my theory.. and it works, i can now create a memcard for AR with AR database + lvl2 + lvl3 + gcos (+other files like pso), by just copying those files from slot A -> B using the gamecube's memcard manager... No need for ctr-gcs!

to do this, you do need :

- formated (or brandnew) card in slot b
    - a working memcard for booting AR -> Gcos in slot a
    then just copy all files start with Action replay then lvl2, lvl3, gcos to slot b

the memcard you have in slot a (the one with all the files on it) needs to have 1 file patched before you create it.. patch lvl2 boot loader on offset 34, change 1C to 4. it will enable the copy option on the lvl 2 boot loader, as this file normally can't be copied using the gamecube memcard explorer.

if you grab the vh-cardwriter from vandelisthero (see this thread, page 8) and substitute my file "b" with his file "b" you are set to create the AR card which goes into slot a.

note: i have tested this with an memcard 59 and memcard 251.
    i have not been able to test this on a non-nintendo brand memcard yet (as i can't get my 3rd party card to properly format itself).. I believe it will work with a 3rd party card as well, and might even work with AR card itself as well (meaning you only need 1 card not 2!)
    Last edited by quicksilv; 03-16-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    here is the complete package with patched file "b" included. added some info as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Nice work.

I like what you've done here. I was trying to figure out a way to make the file copyable via Gamecube's MC manager myself. I wanted to do this in order to be able to run them from the AR memcard rather than one of my originals. I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm about to in a few minutes.

I'll post my results shortly.

P.S. Thank you for giving credit and also leaving the original text in. ^_^

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    having all the files on the ar memory card would be a excellent idea
    just wondering how u would go about formatting your ar card if gcs cant write to it

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    that's one of the problems before we can actually test this. So far i have not been able to format either a 3rd party card, nor the AR card.

I tried corrupting my 3rd party card by using PSO, when it saves to the memcard and you see the sign "don't turn of your gamecube" i powered it down hoping it would corrupt my memcard. Unfortunatly this didn't work as i hoped. The cube did say the card needed to be formatted (1 out of 3 tries) but when it formatted the card it said it might not have formatted the card properly. After rebooting it actually didn't format my card at all, all saves still there (it probably restores the 2nd fat table). So that didn't work. I tried corrupting my card by using AR and the RESET function, but i got the same results.. gamecube saying the format was possibly not done properly.

Then i made a MemCardFormat.dol written using libogc and that also doesn't format my card. The CARD_ functions in libogc seem quite buggy, cause it would only mount my card if i would reinsert the card (which the libogc team suggested to do). It then mountend okay, and format was ok (no errorcode), yet it didn't format my card.

This was all tested on a Thrustmaster 59 card. It could be just my crappy card, hope i get better results with other cards.

Shadowsan told me that you can corrupt a memcard by placing a JAP save game on a memcard. But they are using the US/JAP hardware switch to force a wrong region. I don't have that switch so i can't use that option either. If you do have an AR card + region switch please try to corrupt your AR card using this method, format it and then copy the needed files to the AR to see if booting from just AR mc is possible.

If anyone knows of a way to format a card (not using ctr-gcs as that won't work with 3rs party cards) then please post here!

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    have you tried pulling it out while it's been saved? maybe that works, gonna try later. if your cube isn't japanese, you could try playing donkey konga JAP, that game is said to reformat to a japanese standard.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast