Apple Patent Reveals Face Detection for iOS

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Jan 2, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  1. 22,229
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Future iOS Devices Will be Able to Recognise Their Owners?

[​IMG]

Apple may be looking to add facial recognition to iOS, indirectly backing up previous iTV reports that Apple wants users to be recognized across multiple devices.

It might be Holiday Season and New Years, but for Apple they are busy at work filing new patents, and the latest one is following the path they started in 2009 with the original 'first presence detection patent', and then later a new '3D face and object recognition patent', and the latest seems to point towards a 'fast processing system' to quickly see that the 'owner' of the device is standing in front of the unit, maybe on iPhone to get rid of the 'slide to unlock' and 'password' functions.

You can read the full patent summary over at the source link below!

NEWS SOURCES: iOS Face Detection (via) ItProPortal and Apple Envisions Face Presense Detection (via) PatentlyApple

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 13,414
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      i wonder how facial recognition will work because to me all the hooded chavs scraping their knuckles around the streets look the same and i can see there being a few issues in certain parts of this country and other countries, i cant imagine an iphone with a "lift veil to unlock" option would be too popular.

2. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

So typical apple, this will turn up is about 18 months after the ice cream sandwich facial unlock feature (which by then will no doubt be more funtional and be used in by more than just the phone unlock), by which time it ill be bog standard on android phones, but as usual apple will convice the iSheep that it's another fantastic new feature for thier mobile appstores as opposed to playing catch up on standard phone features.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
    3. 13,414
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      have you seen that new st steve doll? $100, still i'm sure there will be plenty of i-sheep will buy it so they can place it in their personal temples (filled with outdated at launch i-crap), only thing is its not an apple product so comes complete with standard features like 2 arms, 2 legs and a head without the need to buy additional overpriced custom adaptors to install some of them and to wait for another generation or two before you can buy adaptors to use all the standard features.