hit tracker

Ataribox Retro Mini-Console plays Current and Classic Games

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jul 17, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Jul 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM
  1. 24,398
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Atari follows in footsteps of Nintendo's NES Mini and SNES Mini — but with a twist.
    [​IMG]

For a while we been able to relive the glory on playing Atari games via the licensed retro lineup of Atari Flashback consoles by ATGames, but recently just before E3 2017 last month, Ataribox was teased, but nothing more was known about it, except that CEO of Atari stated it will be using PC technology, but now a series of images have appeared on their Instagram account and in email newsletter, which is causing Atari fans and retro gamers to crash the internet with wild speculation on what this console will be.
    Personally, I think it will just be an NVidia Shield type box, but you never know, the big questions are still 'when' and 'how much'.

ataribox1-980x550.jpg ataribox2-980x550.jpg

ataribox3-980x550.jpg ataribox4-980x550.jpg

NEWS SOURCE: Ataribox retro mini-console plays current and classic games (via) ArsTechnica

Comments

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 6,562
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Let me guess, Android box.

If they really want this thing to take off, they'll need to really present something.....actually this might be good once it ends up in the bargain bin, if only aesthetically.

2. 24,398
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      @tech3475 - Yep, I predict either a NVidia Shield, or an upgraded OUYA 2 setup. -- But Atari CEO says it uses PC technology, but that does not mean anything I doubt it will be as powerful at x86-based PS4 or XB1 systems. -- The other thing is they said it was 'in design for years', but yet in this newsletter they talking about 'listening to feedback' that is why it is 'teased' piece by piece, so maybe they are designing it from the outside to the inside, and only thing is so far the two case choice part, either 'new red look' or 'retro wood look' and the hardware guts are still in the 'planning stage'. :)

3. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      This box isn't much bigger than a NVIDIA Shield TV..

Its possible to insert a insert a X86 chip in this box, but won't be powerful enough to run any new PC Games.
      What they mean by current games, is streaming of PC games.
      Even a Raspberry can do that.

As for the X86 chip. I have a 1-2 year old Windows 10 Tablet with X86 CPU and same features as any expensive laptop, except for lack of GPU/CPU and RAM power.
      My cheap Win 10 X86 tablet can stream Xbox One games, but its a bit laggy.

4. 24,398
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      This leaked PDF document from Atari Corp. shows they are planning on doing it via 'crowdfunding' page in the near future.

AtariBox2.png

AtariBox.png
      Sadly, it sounds more and more like an OUYA 2 attempt, with their own OS and interface store plus an 'Atari Vault' with 200 retro games.

5. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I agree with you Garyopa. This smells "Ouya 2" with outdated hardware like Ouya. Why? Read bottom half here.

I got a mail from this "company" long time ago about this box, and it never sounded like crowdfunding at all.
      Still, it looks like they don't have money to mass produce this box.

The best solution is to buy a NVIDIA Shield TV which does the same thing with most likely superior hardware.
      Emulation is great on that box. I',m sure the Atari games emulated on this new box too, so there won't be much of a difference.

I think Ataribox will launch wiuth oudated hardware like Ouya did.

If it doesen't use Tegra X1, its automatically weaker than a 2 year old Shield TV.
      Nothing on the market is on par with Tegra X1 at the samew price after over 2 years since launch.

Neither Intel, AMD, "ARM", "Snapdragon" or whatever... have ever released or announced any chip comparable to Tegra X1 at the tiny size of TX1.