Banwave Detected

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by powertome, May 27, 2017.

1. 1,437
    powertome

powertome Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

2. 23,894
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
  3. 40
    MasterPopo

MasterPopo Loyal Member

would be interested to know how this will effect gateway, the normal version and the a9lh. would this mean the update will taker longer?

4. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

I'm on CFW and so far i haven't had any issues with bans. Not that it would mater THAT much to me since i don't really play online all that much

5. 23,894
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    That is why they call it banwaves.

As its not all the time. Nintendo collects data then before a hot new game release wipes out a few thousand via a their ban hammer.

Then it goes quiet for a while until the next big banwave hits everyone.

6. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

Last time it happened was around the time Pokemon Sun/moon came out right? Or did it start before that? Cause i know that a ton of people got banned for accessing Pokemon's online functions before the due date

7. 1,997
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Last time it happened was just in May

8. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

Wait really? Guess i didn't hear about that one

9. 1,997
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Yep. Ironically enough i used pokemons online services before the game was officially released and never got a ban. Couldnt tell you why though.

10. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

From what i've read no one really knows the reason nor Nintendo methods so far, only that it's affected mostly users with CFW

11. 1,997
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Im almost positive the ones that are getting caught are modding the games somehow. Be it with cheats or other means. They just dont want to admit it. The only time i got a temp ban was playing mario cart online with cheats.

12. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

See that's what i though too but i read reports on reddit about people being online banned when they didn't even play online and ad CFW only for stuff like custom themes or some homebrew

13. 1,997
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Yea I read the same posts. I just don't believe them. Its either that or they have their information sharing thing on. The one that asks if you want to share your play experience with nintendo so they can optimize performance for the next update or whatever.

I tend to not believe what people say on the internet when it comes to their gameplay habits.

14. 111
    Ashuraman

Ashuraman Loyal Member

You mean the option in Spot Pass that lets Nintendo gather your info? That could be it. That and the friends list thing where friends can see what you're playing. Though right now, even accessing your friends list is dangerous

15. 1,997
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Exactly what I was referring to.

16. 597
    urherenow

urherenow Loyal Member

You're reading all the wrong things. I've already said that a MAJOR flag in the banwaves comes from running homebrew titles. It's not the only flag, granted, but it has no bearing on whether or not you use CFW or a Gateway card. You can run homebrew with either.

And yes, that info is gathered both by spotpass (last 3 titles played) and the info sharing with Nintendo (seriously, what idiot turns that feature on? smh...)

BTW, they are also flagging CART ID's that get caught being used simultaneously in different areas, then flagging every account that uses the (now blacklisted) ID. So you can get a ban by using Sky3DS and no CFW or Gateway at all.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017