EXCLUSIVE: MAME going commercial? The END of MAME?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Oct 15, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  1. 21,843
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Changes to the 'license' will allow code to be used 'commercially'!

For years MAME has been always non-commercial, it was free for you to use any way you wish, as long as you made sure not to charge a 'penny' for it, and as such it had many great developers behind it!

[​IMG]

Well this is some sad news we have here today, for decades MAME has been always free and non-commercial but times are changing, and it is causing a rift among the talented developers working on code freely for MAME, have now pull their code from GIT as they don't like the new dual-license being pushed onto them with no thought on how much code they have submitted freely for everyone to enjoy!

Here is one of first commits showing the 'dual-license' is now in play:

Code:
    diff --git a/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c b/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    index 2010f7e..305e175 100644
    --- a/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    +++ b/src/emu/sound/s14001a.c
    @@ -6,7 +6,27 @@
    Clock Frequency control updated by Zsolt Vasvari
    Other fixes by AtariAce
    - Copyright Jonathan Gevaryahu.
    + Copyright (C) 2006-2013 Jonathan Gevaryahu aka Lord Nightmare
    + This source file is dual-licensed under the following licenses:
    + 1. The MAME license as of September 2013
    + 2. The GNU LGPLv2.1: 

And Haze one of top developers has posted 'The END?' on his blog today:

So what do you think, will more GPL developers QUIT, and will this be the death of MAME as we have known it over the years?

NEWS SOURCE #1: THE END (via) Haze's Blog
    NEWS SOURCE #2: MAME Commit's (via) GIT

Comments

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Oct 15, 2013.

1. 82
      godashram

godashram New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Maybe it's time to move away from M.A.M.E. to something new? Sure, it would be hard moving from the architecture, but maybe the devs leaving M.A.M.E. can make something better....

2. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

I have a love hate relationship with MAME... I love being able to play lots of arcade games, I love the whole artwork and cabinet scans and the text history of all the machines.

On the hate side.... MAME is coded for accuracy sometimes to the point of breaking games that would be emulated if they would just use a hack... A lot of good code is rejected for it not being accurate enough. (This is why you see a lot of unofficial builds.)

The thing that reaaaaalllly gets under my skin about MAME is there is no easy way to manage your ROM's. If say I have a SNES set I am customizing for some reason I can delete a specific game or add it with out any trouble at all. In MAME if you delete a file it might have been a dependency for 50 other games and now because you wanted to get rid of some specific game.

If anyone knows an easy way to do that I would be soooooo happy but I finally gave up on the concept and just rolled back to an older set with no fruit machines... Wasted many an hour trying to locate some way of manipulating the MAME romset.

3. 1,223
      B2K24

B2K24 New Member Loyal Member

http://mcm.mameworld.info/

JonathanD likes this.
    4. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

Holy hell!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Too late for me to mess with it right now but first thing in the morning I am sooo going to see what I need to do.

5. 6,300
      tech3475

tech3475 Likes to Post Loyal Member

But doesnt the gpl allow commercial use so long as the source code is available?

6. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle New Member Loyal Member

Easy, just redownload those damn roms all over again... oh wait... 400 GB, NNNOOOOOO!!! :p

Agree with you on that one PLUS the way MAME force you to use CHD file. AFAIK some other emus (eg: CPS3EMU) does not required CHD to run games, just uses parent roms. So why cant MAME do that too? Maybe I missed something as I've been away from emu scene for long time. You know those fucking CHD are like bloated whales, freaking big size images!

PS: is that Haze from now defunct Geoshock site?

Edit: oh wait, how the hell Mame can be licensed? They are using roms illegally anyway so how does that work? I remember they had something like 2 years waiting period before they touch any latest games dump. Ironically they don't have permission to use them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    7. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Maxconsole Forum Moderator Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      once again monetary gains strive to destroy a project thats well over 10-15 (or more) years in the making by tons of coders that contribute their time due to their love of the project. no telling how many 'years' i spent enjoying all the games that mame supports. most of the games i spent tons of time and money on in the arcades of the late 70s thru the late 80s.

kind of pissy that every great project seems to get hijacked for someone elses love of greed and money.

billysastard and Nocuddle like this.
    8. 6,300
      tech3475

tech3475 Likes to Post Loyal Member

Probably some company that wants to release their games they have the rights too or games which are legally available.

But like I said before....isn't that already legally possible with GPLd code?