Facebook Plans to Unveil a $200 Wireless Oculus VR Headset for 2018

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jul 13, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM
  1. 24,170
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    The new device will work without being tethered to phone or PC
    Company bets gadget will popularize VR as Apple did smartphone

[​IMG]

Sony's PlayStation VR headset was originally called by analysts to be the one that would kick-start the VR revoultion and even tho it sold over 1 million units at launch with its low $399 price, it still requires you to own an $299 PlayStation 4 console to use, as such now analysts are hoping that Facebook's new plan to introduce an compact Oculus Rift code-named 'Pacific' that does not need a high-end smartphone, or a high-end PC and priced at only $200 will popularize VR finally into the mainstream world next year in 2018 similar to how Apple did with smartphones with its first launch of the iPhone just over ten years ago.
    So the VR race is still on, whom will be the one to finally crack the market and make it an must-have item, Sony seems to have failed doing so, all tho there is rumors they are working on PSVR2 headset, that is better, but most likely it will still require you to own a PS4 console, so its not going to too much cheaper if at all, so will Facebook with its new 'compact/wireless Rift' finally make VR the in thing for everyone to own and enjoy using?

NEWS SOURCE: Facebook Plans to Unveil a $200 Wireless Oculus VR Headset for 2018 (via) BloomBerg

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jul 13, 2017.

1. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

Wireless VR devices are the future of gaming. I'm sick of dealing with the mess of wires. I would be willing to pay as much as $2,000 for a GOOD all in one VR headset. Or one that can wirelessly connect to PC with no noticeable latency.

2. 971
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Minus the fishy looking one on the right, that pic looks like a party. :D

3. 6,533
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think they kind of have to do this, given the reports of competition coming out closer to that price and the potential market stagnation as of now, a move like this would likely reignite interest.

At £150-200 I might buy a VR system.