FAQ: How to use Evox trainers!

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by Goku, Jul 4, 2004.

1. 566
    Goku

Goku New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
    I know some users are getting stuck and don’t know what to do with these .ETM or .MTE files. So I think it’s a good idea to make a tutorial on “How to use Evox trainers!â€

If you have Evox 3935 installed, just jump to Part 2 of this tutorial. If you’re just starting out, read and re-read Part 1 and Part 2 of this tutorial.

Part 1:
    -------
    Requirements:
    * X-Box (lol)
    * Evox 3935 with evox.ini (don't ask for it here, it's not legal, but you are welcome to go here: #xbins on EFNet)
    * Probably a hacked BIOS on a modchip (I have X2.2Lite and X4977 BIOS, and again #xbins)
    * A way to FTP to your XBox, by using Internet Explorer or any other browser to access your XBox, once you have everything installed. (You can use FlashFXP, CuteFTP, or any other FTP app).

Now, I'm not going to tell you how to install the Modchip, BIOS, or Evox, you should already know these things before you begin. But if you don't know these things, just go to http://www.xbox-scene.com/ and look at their FAQ and Tutorial sections to figure out what you really need to do in order to install Evox 3935 on your XBox.

Part 2:
    -------
    Okay, so here are the assumptions:
    * You have connected your XBox to your computer or a router so that we can FTP to XBox and upload some files. (If you don’t have this done, go to XBox-Scene.com for their networking tutorials).
    * You have Evox 3935 installed on your XBox (on C, E, F, or G drive)
    * You know you have Evox 3935 installed with the proper evox.ini file
    * Did I say you have to have Evox 3935 (you can check this by looking at the Evox version shown in different Evox Skins)
    * So you have Evox 3935, right? With the evox.ini file that has only ONE option for IGR (In Game Reset)?

1) Now go to System Utils --> Settings and set TSR to Normal (scroll DOWN to see the other options)
    2) If you have a BIOS, that does not offer In Game Reset, then you might want to set IGR to Yes, but from what I heard, it’s not really needed. Better to be safe than sorry, so set it anyway.
    3) Then scroll down more, and do “Save and Exitâ€
    4) REBOOT your XBox, by either turning it OFF and then ON or using Reboot option in Evox’s main menu.
    5) Now you need to check to see if you have Trainers option in main menu. If you have it, then you are good to go, if you don’t, then you must have either gotten a modified copy of evox.ini or have modified it your-self, so you’ll have to find the original copy of evox.ini and overwrite the one on your XBox.
    6) Time to FTP to your XBox. So connect to your XBox (you should already know how to do this).
    7) Unzip the .zip or .rar file to your Desktop or a place you can remember.
    8) You should now have a .ETM (and .MTE if the trainer has a In Game Menu).
    9) Copy the .ETM (and .MTE, if it has one), from your computer to your XBox’s Trainers folder. You can copy many trainers at once, so if you have more, just extract them and put them in the Trainers folder
    10) REBOOT your XBox.
    11) Look in the Trainers option, and if you done everything correctly, you will see the newly added trainers.
    12) Turn on the trainer option(s) and make sure you do a “Save and Exitâ€
    13) No need to reboot this time, just play the game from the HD, or put the CD/DVD in the DVD drive tray, and select “Launch DVDâ€

BIG NOTE: Make sure you are running your games from Evox, else it will not work. You have to do this so that Evox can do its trainer code first.

If for some reason a trainer doesn’t work, disable all the other trainers, reboot your XBox, and enable just that one trainer and try it out.

Info: .NFO files can be opened in any Text Editors (NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.). .ASM is an Assembly code file that was actually compiled and made into a .ETM file. Don’t worry about it, unless you want to know what makes one of the options work (i.e. how did the player get infinite health, what was done to get infinite health).

If you find any errors or mistakes in this tutorial, please post a reply, and I will fix it ASAP. If you are stuck or are not clear about any of these steps, just post a reply and I will fix or enhance this tutorial.

A BIG BIG BIG thanks goes out to Team EvolutionX for making such a great dashboard with many options. And thanks to all fellow Evox-T members for making such great trainers.

Goku / Evox-T

2. 0
    puppy

puppy Guest

I want to add that IGR needs to be enabled in either BIOS or EvoX.

3. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    Nope, not needed. It works just fine with out the IGR.

4. 0
    therealjosh

therealjosh Guest

My buddy thought it would be funny to take my trainers folder off of the main screen so now I can't get it back. If you could direct me to instructions for putting trainers back on my main page that would be great. Thanks..

dootdoo rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  5. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    Well your buddy must have edited the evox.ini file. So all you need to do is FTP to your XBox from your PC and copy evox.ini file, then open it with NotePad or any other text editor. I've uploaded a copy of original evox.ini file here: http://evox.xboxhackz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8665

It's listed in a post. This is the line that you need added in to see the trainers option:
    Code:
    Item "Trainers",ID_trainer
    Just don't added it any where, it has to be under these lines:
    Code:
    Section "Root" 
    {
    So after you change your evox.ini file on your desktop, just save it and overwrite the one on your XBox.

6. 0
    therealjosh

therealjosh Guest

Goku Rules. Unfortunately I'm such a newb that I need a way to do it from the evox system options. I am not equipped to Ftp my box. yea I=sux

7. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    So how do you upload EvoX trainers?

8. 0
    therealjosh

therealjosh Guest

I'll tell you but it’s a secret, I burn a bunch to cd and move them from the cd to the folder using the new media player.

9. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    So copy my evox.ini file that I posted in one of my posts (link above) and overwrite the one you have in there with the new one. Or make changes to the one that I have, burn it to a CD, then overwrite

10. 0
    therealjosh

therealjosh Guest

Your help is invaluable. I can't imagine doing all this for complete strangers. Now to attack Warrior Within.

11. 0
    Turok

Turok Guest

THe Trainer shows up BUT

The Trainer shows up on the trainer folder but when i go to use it in a game the gtame plays as if there is no tainer.

12. 0
    dootdoo

dootdoo Guest

Re: THe Trainer shows up BUT

which trainer?

13. 516
    ddkram

ddkram New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
    hey guys i have just bought the PAL version of soul calibur 2 today and just got acid flash's trainer for the PAL and NTSC version's in 1 zip file and i added all 3 to my trainer folder and only the NTSC one shows up. i tried deleting the NTSC one to see if the PAL ones show up but still nothing. this is extreamly strange coz i have not had any trouble with any other trainers. is there a solution for this ? it just isnt showing up at all. (neither PAL version is coming up even though both files are ETM and in the trainers folder) its just a bit weird for me.

14. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    I remember that I made the Soul Calibur 2 +7 trainer long time ago. Here's what 3 different files do:
    evt-sc2_usa_ntsc.etm = USA/NTSC version of SC2
    evt-sc2_pal_v1.0.etm = PAL version 1.0 of SC2
    evt-sc2_pal_v1.1.etm = PAL German version 1.1 of SC2

I recommend that you try only the one that works for you. Maybe try 1 at a time to find out which one works :)

Don't forget to reboot your XB!

15. 516
    ddkram

Home Page:
    hey goku i just tried just the 1.0 then deleted that then tried the 1.1 and still nothing. i have just unziped the 3 files and transfered 1 accross at a time. they just dont show up at all in my trainer menu. i am rebooting my XBOX everytime i change anything so it isnt that. the NTSC is the only one that shows up out of the 3 so i have no idea whats going on but i have never had problems with this before with any other trainers i have tried

16. 516
    ddkram

Home Page:
    hey goku just fixed the problem. it turns out your filenames are bad. i aint sure exactly why but those filenames wont show up in EvoX trainer menu. i think it might be coz u use 2 .'s i could be wrong mind you but they would be fairly logical. but now it works great. i only just realised it could be the filenames when u posted the filenames on here because i wasnt really paying any attention to the filename before. but i have had trouble with this before on my own test trainers.

17. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    That's very odd. No one ever posted this as an issue, but I think I'm going to change it. Thanks for the info ddkram :)

18. 0
    mikerowesoft

mikerowesoft Guest

"BIG NOTE: Make sure you are running your games from Evox, else it will not work. You have to do this so that Evox can do its trainer code first."

Does this mean going into evox and turning trainer on, then launching a multigame disk will not allow the trainer to work? Does the disk need to only be single game. I am guessing that this is so. I have a few multi game disk made with craxtion4. Anytime i try to use trainer for a specific game on these disks it doesnt work. Is it because it goes from evox to multi menu? Most likely so, but just wanted confirmation. IF this is the case is there any feasable way around this issue other than only backing up one game to one disk at a time? Thank you for your time and consideration.

19. 566
    Goku

Home Page:
    I have tried it my self with some multi games on 1 dvd with my own games. It seems to work just fine. Not sure if this true for all the multi games, but I only had 1. So you should try it.

20. 0
    mikerowesoft

mikerowesoft Guest

OK thank you. What multi game dash are you using? MXM, MenuX????

If you could find that out right quick it would be useful. Thankyou so much for getting back to that last post.