FBI shuts down Megaupload

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Jan 19, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM
  1. 22,045
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    The popular file-sharing site was taken down today

[​IMG]

Federal prosecutors blocked the entire site and charged founders

We are still shocked with the information we have just received but apparently, the FBI has taken down the popular file-sharing site, Megaupload. Their founders were charged for piracy and for costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue and are facing prison sentences.

Details are still at low but it appears that this is all part of a two years investigation against the site which is now considerated as an "international criminal enterprise centered on copyright infringement on the Internet", according to the New York Times:

This is a bad thing, a very very bad thing. Our liberty is jeopardized.

OFFICIAL SITE: Notice of Grand Jury Indictment (via) Dept. of Justice

NEWS SOURCE: Indictment charges Megaupload site with piracy (via) New York Times

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for reporting this very sad news today!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Jan 19, 2012.

1. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Honestly I can't say I am surprised, so much pirated content and its become nearly impossible to police a service like Megaupload :( (It IS a service...)

In the same breath I am saddened because I used Megaupload on almost a daily basis for perfectly legal files, and the number of times I have used it to pirate something? Almost zero since it has that whole file size limit deal and who wants to deal with downloading 20 chunks of something...

Next up will be Google for providing search results and then forum posters for providing links to content.

There is a saying that sort of fits in with all this.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

2. 0
      LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA Guest

How is this gaming related?

3. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Megaupload has become almost synonymous with patches, mods, trainers. If they took down the servers then I know A LOT of web pages are going to be sans content right about now.

4. 1,400
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Only in the US can you prosecute anyone in the world for anything you want, with nothing more than circumstantial evidence...so long as you're a business that's lining the pockets of politicians that is.

5. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

My mother told me one time, after seeing some ridiculous thing on the news. "I thought we won world war two..."

She would be disgusted with the stuff that has been happening since then. (She died a year or two after 9/11 and the way things are headed she may have gotten the good end of the deal.)

6. 254
      HugeGorrila

HugeGorrila Loyal Member

Wtf!

How could this be? I used to use this site from time to time and never shared anything copyrighted. Megaupload is not a pirate site. This needs to be reversed.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

7. 13,385
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      pardon me for asking but didnt you used to have a "vag", i might be dreaming or it could be from somewhere else?

as to the story yes, it sucks, it was great for legal mods and fixes although personally i used 4shared for sharing pics and video with family because they dont have a "suck speed" if you dont pay them.

still a little revenge was pretty swift with doj, fbi, mpaa, riaa, universal music,us copyright office, emi and hadopi all going missing too. :)

8. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

See they didn't need SOPA after all... Sad day for people who like to tinker around, the world will become just a little darker. I think they are tying to put the genie back in the bottle, and I also suspect they will fail miserably at it.

PS

I can't open "PS Vita Sales Plummet Once Again" did SOPA do this too? lol

(Sort of hoped that you could some how use your powers to fix it...) I wanted to express my shock *snickers*

9. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      only in the US you can prosecute anyone in the world for anything you want.

are you blind, didnt you see that megaupload was used to pirate music, movies, apps, games all this is illegal, only in YOUR world its ok to steal.

love it tho nothing more than circumstantial evidence..... whats circumstantial about it, you could log into their forums and grab a MASSIVE a-z of pirated content.

and your completely wrong trying to justify how this is ok, its got nothing to do with politicians, its the simple fact that while people are using megaupload to leake pirated content, put it this way as your business, you wouldnt have the same attitude.

dont cry everytime companies or laws take action against piracy, it has been illegal from day one, so stop trying to think different.

10. 1,400
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Ok Mr. Blind Sheep...who can't see the big picture behind everything. Enjoy your future where you get thrown in jail for sharing things you even created yourself.

And go back to school if you want to be taken seriously in anything you post.

ZERO punctuation, poor spelling etc. I guess at least you don't postwall your entire blurb though, you get a silver star sticker for that.

11. 13,385
      billysastard

Home Page:
      just a few facts for you, i'm not going to argue about the content good or bad.

megaupload provided ip holders with takedown tools, it provided a dmca takedown facility, its ip holder takedown software was later altered owing to abuse by so called rights holders and they were restricted to 2,500 takedowns each per day, this was later increased to 5,500 and dont forget thats in addition to any dmca takedown notices that were issued by those companies, it was also massively popular with business users for storage and sharing of business documents.

and thats before we even get to the us government sticking its nose into the legal systems of other countries, maybe they didnt like the fact that it was a hugely successful FOREIGN company and so unlike the mpaa / riaa cartels wasnt helping to line their pockets.

no one is crying about companies or laws taking action against piracy in this case, just that the companies were provided with the tools and the laws were being complied with and the fact that this wasnt a lawsuit like viacom tried against youtube but was the us government taking the law into its own hands.

12. 13,385
      billysastard

Home Page:
    13. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I bet it's the 2500 per day that did it, I bet one day they needed to takedown 2501 and so a **** storm was unleashed, or I should say $ signs popped up inthe eyes of legal firms dealing with the takedowns. 9/10 you only ever hear of these anti piracy fiasco's based on the littlest of things while you rarely if ever heare of a major takedown. I am struggling to recall when i have heard of a so called piracy ring that uses, as claimed by the anti piracy campaigns, the procedes for terrorism or drugs, being taken down, noit's always sites taken down for what ends up being a minor infraction, or some kid getting nabbed for listening to a Mettalica song they downloaded. The odd thing is as well is that you rarely hear of anyone genuinely charged, it's always quiet out of court settlements, or the likes of what happened to Egohot the old don't do it again and we will forget the charges (or in eglish, we are not sure we would win not to mentiont he seriosuly bad PR we are getting fromt his at the mo), as the entrtainment industry want to be seen to be somthing frightening to pirates etc, but don't want to be seen as evil money grabbing s.o.b's to a public they know doesn't give a rats arse about their claims.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    14. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I love your blind devotion, always gives me a few laughs, that reminds me, I must take a look at the darwin awards site, not done that in a few years :p

15. 28
      MaxLouarn

MaxLouarn Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

I know Kimble (Kim Schmitz/Dotcom) since 20 years. In fact I have helped him financially at the beginning of Megaupload. As usual he tried to never pay me back, as Kim is clearly both a crook and a genious. This is just for the little story.

Therefore I read in depth the whole indictment by the FBI.
      Fact is, they really brought a lot of detailed information into the case. They never say that the principle of Megaupload is illegal. They say that this particular company, and its owners & managers, are doing everything on purpose to help piracy and get money out of it. This is why they arrested them.
      If you read all the emails they quote - now on them to prove they are real emails - they clearly show the management team knowing about piracy generating the core traffic, and how to limit its removal, how to attract the maximum number of pirates etc.
      The whole case of the FBI is around that. Without circumstantial evidences, they would have never brought up the case.

Now it does not mean I agree with them at all. As those new proposed US laws are totally wrong, and like the many examples given, if I send a video of my kids dancing on some copyrighted music to a friend, I could be sued. And many more other ways these laws could be abused.
      But I do undestand why they went after Megaupload. If there was one to target, it was this one because of the clear intention to favor piracy by the management team. And they send a strong signal to all others: Either get your act together and truly fight pirated content, or you know what's going to happen.
      They can't stop file sharing sites -yet-, but they can limit the number of pirated file on them and make it a bit harder to find them.
      I think the whole point here is about counter power. I am pretty sure whether you support Megaupload or the FBI in this case, we all can agree Megaupload did its best to support piracy. The debate and support for Megaupload is not to know if they break the law, or whether we break the law when we D/L some copyrighted file on the internet, we know the answer. The debate is if the laws are fair in the first place, in this world. And mostly in USA, where it seems laws are written by corrupt lawmakers having their campaigns financed by big corporations, who obviously want something in return.
      Basically we justify piracy and support Megaupload not because piracy is right, but because we feel Wall Street, Banks etc. are so unfairly getting rich on our backs, we morally are right to pirate or do other illegal stuff. But the law is not on our side, and I think not on Megaupload side when you read the emails.

2 other things:
      1) US has no special power to go after anyone worldwide. They did just like any other country, asked for help from New Zealand, which can, like France (where I live) did many times, turn them down. Maybe 'weaker' countries cooperate more, but in general, there is global cooperation when it comes to democracies.
      2) I am not a big fan of USA. What is scary there, is probably just to make an example out of it and push other file sharing sites to tighten up security, they are trying to put those 7 guys up to 45 years in prison? Basically sentence them to die in prison for this? That is absolutely wrong, just like the whole US justice system, in my eyes.

16. 6,199
      Retroboy

Home Page:
      makes you laugh sure it maybe was used for normal reasons and maybe it had something in place to "remove" pirate material, doesnt help the fact in its forums it had dedicated sections for downloading movies, music, software and games ect.

its clear just by looking in the forums that it was been used as a source to pirate content and this is why it was closed down.

has nothing to do with lining politicians pockets, thats basically what i was meaning.

you cant say you monitor and remove illegal content yet have dedicated forum sections thats full of illegal content, if the forum didnt have the topics for users to post links then megaupload could have denied any knowledge.

17. 856
      wrathchild

wrathchild Loyal Member

Only a racist prick like yourself would say something so idiotic. The crimes megaupload is being charged with is hardly circumstantial retard. And business people "line" politicians pockets in every country around the world so the U.S. isn't any different.

18. 28
      MaxLouarn

MaxLouarn Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

That is VERY wrong. In France, it is ILLEGAL for a politician to take money from a private company, and even from general public it is very limited. It is crime! And although it happens underhand -humans remain humans-, if they get caught, and many did, they are indicted.
      And in fact, the whole purpose of the law is to avoid corruption. Their thinking is quite simple: If you take money from a corporation to be elected, you will be tempted to return the favor by passing law not in the common interest, not fair, but just to reward your contributor. Basically that = corruption.
      If you want to know how they finance the campaign, which have budgets way below US version because of this lack of 'sponsoring': 1) with people subscribing to the party membership fee 2) each election the number of votes you reach entitle you to a payment handled by a special fund run by the state. If you get xxx vote, you receive yyy money. Obviously the most votes, the most money you receive.

It is quite strange that 2 of the world's most known democracies have such different take on it. Basically France is saying that US system for political campaign is built to favor corruption. :(

19. 6,199
      Retroboy

Home Page:
      lol i agree, i find funny how he was blinded to even understand that megaupload was used to leak pirated content, thats why it was shut down, it has nothing to do with us politicians because what it was used for is illegal world wide.

megaupload only has itself to blame for allowing people to upload pirated content to its forums.