for anyone who needs them, here are the files for WonderMagic

Discussion in 'General Retro Gaming Discussion' started by billysastard, Aug 12, 2015.

1. 13,439
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
    i've included every file i could get my hands on, duplicates, dll's and zips into this archive, please note the psu requirements are wrong it works fine using a standard original official megadrive one psu.

EDIT: for those who don't know the wondermagic is a pretty rare flashcard system for the bandai wonderswan / color / crystal handheld system, without this software it's totally useless.

Attached Files:

Wakutan likes this.
  2. 24,142
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the addition.

Once I upgrade the forums in a week.

I want to add a nice 'resource' area, with all the old stuff for all systems like on my friends site: http://www.xianiax.net all the old modding tools, flashcarts, drivers, pictures, wiring for mods, etc.

Going to take some time, but it is worth it, even my other friend at http://www.eurasia.nu is moving more of his resources over to retro, and these days really the new generation is just not what it is crack up to be.

Since I lost my major 1TB drive due to ants inside, I have to redo alot of my own collections, I need to get all the emulators again, and the roms and things like that, going to take a while, but worth it.

3. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    well i have the software for flash linker/ mr flash (visoly/bung, gb) flash advance (bung, gba), pocket writer (bung, neo geo pocket) as well as the newer software for things like the e flash 4 (gba) and ez flash 5 (ds utils for nds) as well as all the latest everdrives and custom ed 64 firmware (which plays gb, gg and msx games on the n64).

as for the ant issue i'm pretty sure that zophar.net will cure your emulator problems and emuparadise.me will sort your rom problems.

4. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Hi,

Thanks for the software. Is it the same guy that is making a new flashmasta card for the wonderswan?

I got the linker and two flash cards in a lot. I saw the lot and I just had to get it :) Lucky price too.

The linker has no cables. The parallel port cable is an easy find....just don't have it now. The power supply I use 8V. I just unscrewed the linker (2 screws) and saw a 7805C regulator (5V output to the board) with a minimum input voltage of 7.3V according to the datasheet. So 7V and up is fine.(max. 35-40V)

I've tested the software and it seems to start up on a XP machine. Any other requirements needed?

Thanks again for the software.

5. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    this isnt the software for the flashmasta card as those are modern (and i believe use usb), the old wondermagic is a big blue box (the linker) and an oversized transparent flash cart.

yes it'll run under win xp but you need to boot from an xp dos disc you'll need a standard parallel cable to drive the flasher (i use an old laptop with xp and a parallel port), i'd put the games/ software on a usb stick as certainly on my laptop it doesn't see the c: drive when booted from the xp dos floppy, for power i've always used a standard sega megadrive one psu (10v, center negative) which was the recommended psu from the original makers.

one thing, you might need to check / replace the battery in the flash cart.

6. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Thanks for the information. It is indeed the blue one with a strange looking rabbit on it :)

I have not tested the unit as I have not found the parallel cable yet. I guess I have to buy one if I can't find it. The unit powers on (green led).

Just to document this regarding the powersupply (after opening this thing up):

-Minimum voltage is 7V up to 40V (10V as you said is the manufacturer's standard).

-Polarity doesn't matter if the center is negative or positive. It has a bridge rectifier, which always outputs a positive voltage to the board. The linker is well made. :)

About the Parallel cable, male to male. My guess is just a laplink (null modem) cable? Just like they used for the Visoly Flashadvance linkers?

Regarding the carts. Thanks for the tip of changing the batteries.

If I get my hands on a link cable, I will post my findings.

7. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    yes, i use a visoly / bung linker cable (cant recall which its gb, gba or ngpc flasher).

as for the strange rabbit on the sticker, i've no idea whilst the cart has a sticker (i cant recall the label) the blue box itself was supplied originally without sticker which was supplied separately, i kept mine pristine until one one of my foster kids found it during a house move and decided to attach it to an old keyboard / mouse switch box i was throwing out.

if i recall they suggested a max of only 16v but it was a long time ago and to put it politely communication took ages as neither of us knew the others language so once a mail was received it had to go to someone else to translate it then the same when i sent them a mail, it took months before i was finally able to buy one, hence the reason they were so rare in the west (i believe originally they only shipped 4 or 5 to the west (out of approx 100 made), although modern communications and the desirability of the unit has meant more have come west since, especially since some group in japan made a clone copy for a short while in the late 90's or early noughties, all i can tell you is the software was supplied on a bright yellow unlabeled floppy disc so it was sticker, blue box, parallel cable, flash cart and the floppy, no psu supplied as i say they recommended using a standard md1 psu (as used by all the bung / visoly flashers of the era).

8. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

I've made some progress with the linker.

This is the one I found in a lot. Linker with two 32Mbit cards. The parallel cable was not included. Had to search for one.

[​IMG]

I tried the program on a XP machine first. I use this machine to flash other cards (mainly for the flash2advance). No luck in finding the linker.
    Then I tried it with an old laptop, which has Windows ME running on it.

Started the program, turned the linker ON and it was found. I first erased the cards and flashed them with one game each. It works great. Sadly enough you can only flash 1 game on a card. Even if the game is very small.

Another thing is that some games that use Hi SRAM, do not work. I've tried the translation (and original) of Dicing Knight. It didn't work :-(

Nevertheless a great thing to have :)

9. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    glad you got it working, i'm not suprised about hi sram stuff not working as i don't think it was about when these were made, at the time the only thing it wouldn't run was beatmania (too big).

as i said with xp i believe you need to use the xp dos boot floppy.

glad you got it running though, now get to gaming :D (try judgement silversword)

10. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Hi.

Yep Judgement Silversword is a gem in the Wonderswan scene. It's a great game. But sadly it doesn't work on the WonderMagic. Did you get that game working? This game and Dicing Knight are the two only games with a big SRAM. :-( I don't know if there is a patched version of those.

I happy enough to play some translated Rockman games :)

11. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    i'm pretty sure back in the day i had it running on mine (could have been patched) but since i used these thing to try before buying rather than wholesale copying i was lucky enough to by the game when it was at a normal price, i just wish i'd bought a swan crystal whilst they were cheap as frankly the display on the normal wsc is dreadful at the best of times (the old mono one isn't as bad).

did they ever patch / translate the final fantasy roms as supposedly those were the best versions too? (if so maybe its time to fire the wondermagic up again).

or wait a bit longer as the ws flashmasta is supposed to be getting an sd card upgrade so it'll work like an everdrive at some point.

12. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

It would be awesome to get it to work on the wondermagic :) If you have the time to test it out, lt be very appreciated :)

Regarding the translations. I guess this is all that's playable. The rest is unfinished.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...d=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

About the ws flashmasta, It is best to wait it out. Strangly enough there are games tested by early adopters that didn't work. So I've tested some on the wondermagic and they did work. It strange because the ws flashmasta is based of the wondermagic.

13. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    i'm all kinds of busy at present but i'll give it a go when i get the chance, i know where all the bits are.

i did find that ff4 partial translation and actually tried it on my gba last night but it was far from playable (the gba doesn't make a great emulation platform).

yes the flashmasta was based on the the wondermagic, in fact you have its maker to thank for that software pack as i'd lost my original disc and was on the verge of binning my wondermagic as its useless without the the software but he saved it as he had the software and emailed me a copy which is what i added here so anyone else could have access to it in future.

14. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Ok thanks for your time. If you get the chance to test it, I'll keep this thread favored just in case you get the results.

About the translations, there are indeed unfinished ones on the net. Even if the menus are translated, its sufficient to play.

Yes, you've mentioned the maker of the ws flashmasta. Good thing he had the software :)

If it has sd support, I'll purchase one for sure.

15. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    as far as i know the current version has an sd slot but cant yet load from it so in a future firmware update it can be added, like yourself that's the feature i'm waiting for too.

16. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Any luck getting judgement silversword working on the wondermagic?

17. 13,439
    billysastard

Home Page:
    nope i cant find my old cd with the ws games on it and nowhere seems to have bothered archiving the ws version so like the wondermagic software it looks like its lost to history unless someone has an old copy somewhere.